Author Topic: Charged $140 for the privilege of being a Paypal victim of fraud!  (Read 41223 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Charged $140 for the privilege of being a Paypal victim of fraud!
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »
The connections add up - and it now seems likely that this is NOT phishing, but indeed hacking - and at the PayPal end of things.

The consistent connection to having purchased through dealextreme (under whatever name they use) can scarcely be explained as a coincidence.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2009, 07:03:15 PM »
Letsee PP weasle out of this one!!!!
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

cueperkins

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2009, 07:07:59 PM »
It's starting to look that way Countess, i.e. if Brisney bought this direct from dealextreme, then the issue is squarely on Paypal being the target because of their laughable account security...and this is EXACTLY why I wouldn't join Paypal if they were the last payment method on earth...

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2009, 07:09:26 PM »
Once all the information is gathered this should be on 60 minutes !.... of course after the authorities have dealt with the guilty party / parties !.... another flaw with Paypus exposed !...

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2009, 07:18:40 PM »
Just some background I have found on the dealextreme business. Probably doesn't help Brisneygirl though.  ;D

It was originally called fifthunit.com, run by Kai Lam & Sonny (Kyle) Chen. They split and ended the business at the start of 2007, starting up two new businesses:

Kai's site: http://kaidomain.com/

Kyle's site: http://www.dealextreme.com/

brisneygirl

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »
Thanks everyone - you guys are great!!!  I will try to keep digging too as I would love to have a whole load of info with me when I report this.  The first transaction on my paypal a/c is actually in some Asian language.  I had a strange feeling about the whole situation, but paypal were real quick to dismiss the connection - which is how I found out the transactions were supposedly from Quebec (who knows if that is even the truth though ?!?).

I bought the stuff directly from the Deal Extreme website, so this transaction has nothing to do with ebay.  I just went there to vent for two reasons - 1. there are a lot of paypal users there, and 2. I needed to vent somewhere as I really couldn't believe the predicament I was in.

brisneygirl

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2009, 10:04:39 PM »

Are talking about monman? 

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2009, 10:06:24 PM »
I would imagine PP to stand for PayPal.

I understand that Monman has shares in eBay, and is reluctant to admit that eBay ever get things wrong. I can understand why he has this reluctance. Yes.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2009, 10:08:40 PM »

Are talking about monman?  

"Letsee PP weasle out of this one!!!!"  was a post from Tello on this site...he also has an issue with paypal at the moment he's trying to resolve...

This is his thread...http://www.ozroundtable.com/index.php?topic=805.0

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2009, 10:10:42 PM »
I understand that Monman has shares in eBay, and is reluctant to admit that eBay ever get things wrong. I can understand why he has this reluctance. Yes.

Now who's fit to be sent to the norti corner?
Come join us, Dearie; you've earned it!

(PP=paypoo)

brisneygirl

« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2009, 10:16:23 PM »
Sorry - I think of Monman as Peepeed (that was the pp connection I made) and was thinking about how he is like a dog with a bone with paypal and ebay never being in the wrong.  It is even my fault the bank ripped me off cause I didn't check out the other 233,567* financial institutions for lower fees.

*figure slightly exaggerated.   

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2009, 10:22:25 PM »
Eventually there must come a time when PayPal cannot do the Pontius Pilate trick of washing their hands. Eventually someone has to say, "Er, this is our responsibility". And I'm not talking about the unfortunate members who've had to put up with customer service that's designed on the "stall and deny for as long as you can" principle.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2009, 10:23:46 PM »
Oh, and I do plan on venturing out of this thread soon - lol :blush:

The Yibster and I are here for ya, anticipating your every vent, rant, rave and mood!!!!  :wine:

And we're here to make sure they behave emselves !!!

Bris...Cupies referring to Tello ... I'm the innocent one that gets blamed when Tello is off the leash and run's amuck...... 

While I'm still in the spotlight, I gotta say: I still have a problem with Yib's post here. My counter-post was deferred to Siberia & that's fine, but I just gotta tell ya Bris: Believe half of what he says and suspect the other half as "The Gospel According to Yib"

There. I said it. I feel better now.

Carry on.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2009, 10:28:02 PM »
Sorry - I think of Monman as Peepeed (that was the pp connection I made) and was thinking about how he is like a dog with a bone with paypal and ebay never being in the wrong.  It is even my fault the bank ripped me off cause I didn't check out the other 233,567* financial institutions for lower fees.

*figure slightly exaggerated.   

brisney.. the fault is fully and squarely Paypal's.. they are the one's that lack responsibility, I've always gotten my way with bank's in regards to unfair fee's...paypal is a totally different animal because they do not adhere to the same law's as other financial institutions... it sickens me to the stomach that they can get away with it....

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2009, 10:34:27 PM »
Brisney: you may have guessed by now Tello and me are sparing partners, your new here so don't think yib & tello are enemies, far from it, we were separated at birth and have recently found each other again.... the force is strong in our family... { so's the flatulence }...LOL

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2009, 10:42:32 PM »
I was adopted. Yib was kidnapped and forced into slavery until he found the internet. Life is good.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2009, 11:27:31 PM »
Brisney: you may have guessed by now Tello and me are sparing partners, your new here so don't think yib & tello are enemies, far from it, we were separated at birth and have recently found each other again.... the force is strong in our family... { so's the flatulence }...LOL

I can vouch for the flatulence.  I have heard heard on good authority, when Yib eats egg sandwiches, they cordone off the area around his desk at work.... 
:duckling:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2009, 11:38:10 PM »

...TOPIC...

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2009, 11:41:05 PM »
Sorry countess.  You can spank me if you like....  Hangs cute little ducky head.....   Flutters little ducky eyelashes.....

Attempts to be good and be on topic:

Yes one has to be very careful with Paypal.  I have only had one problem myself.  I bought something overseas and paid via Paypal.  They messed up and an item that should have cost me $54 ($60 + 10% discount) cost $90, because Paypal overdrew my bank account.  I had enough funds in the bank account if combined with what I already had in Paypal...   :vent:
:duckling:

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2009, 11:43:34 PM »
 Sorry... not your fault Fluff, me and tello started it, countess has had her hands full with the terrible twins tonight :console:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2009, 11:54:03 PM »
So shut up about it already! The hole is getting deeper.

:(

cueperkins

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2009, 10:06:22 AM »
Hi again Brisney...thanks for clarifying the way you purchased....Given Wheels' research, clearly you are not the only one experiencing this phenomenon......it's interesting though, there are two sellers on Ebay, who have direct links back to Dealextreme...and we're looking into those...there's also a Brazillian and Hong Kong site under different names but with the exact same Hong Kong Address right down to the unit number (Must be a HUGE unit).....and then there are complaints from Germany regarding this dx mob. 

I'll check with the person researching that end of things and of course Admin, and find out if it's OK to start posting this info so Brisney has something even chunkier to work with.   Maybe together we can join the dots. 

We're starting to think this is a fairly big scam given the numerous links worldwide, back to dx, and the exact same address in Hong Kong.  After all, Immigration have recently busted a massive H/Kong based credit card scam entering the country at Sydney Airport, so why should we think it isn't happening online?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2009, 01:26:01 PM »
---->Board Policy Violation!<-----

**************BUMP**************

:yess:

:wine:

cueperkins

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »
We're still looking but these are the links so far....it seems that it could be a dropshipping operation worldwide...let's see what others make of this info.....

2009-05-07 - http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22353748-DealExtreme-replacement-site

DealExtreme replacement site?

Are there any good alternate sites like dealextreme.com that you shop at? I ask because lately at DX there are more and more complaints on the forums about people not receiving their orders and other complaints and it looks like DX is going down the tubes.

Fake Goods - Same Address as DX, but using Ebay ID.

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:v6ygWZRkmp0J:sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/report-a-fake/+%22Room+225-226,+Block+B,+Focal+Industrial+Centre%22&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Andrey said
April 10, 2009 at 19:55

1. eBay item number: 260380272399
2. eBay Seller id: shall0906
3. Your eBay Buyer id: xxxxx

Fake flash seller! Real capacity of received SDHC card in 4 (!) times smaller than claimed. 2Gb instead of 8Gb.

Seller address:
WD(s8/1)
Air mail Department. AUCA
Room 225-226, Block B, Focal Industrial Centre, 21 Man Lok Street, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong

etemall:  Different name, same address as DX for returns:
http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:NvO9VGArbOkJ:www.etemall.com/contact/Frequently%2520Asked%2520Questions.htm+%22Room+225-226,+Block+B,+Focal+Industrial+Centre%22,+%22EBAY%22&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Not satisfied with a product or shipment?

Here is a quick checklist if you are returning unused and unopened products for refunding (applicable to return type B above):

1. The items must be unused and unopened.
   2. Contact us via this link, indicating you want to return a product: http://www.etemall.com
   3. A customer service staff will inform you the actual shipping costs incurred (the non-refundable portion).
   4. Proceed and send the returning items to the following address. Note that the returning package must be postmarked within 30 calendar days of delivery (*see above for definition of delivery date):

TO: etemall
Room 225-226, Block B, Focal Industrial Centre
21 Man Lok street
Hung Hom, Kowloon
Hong Kong

HK marketplace: http://hkmarketplace.com/conditions.php

Note their address also:  

*  HK MARKETPLACE
    * Room 225-226, Block B Focal lndustrial Centre 21 Man Lok street,
       Hung Hom
       Kowloon Hong Kong

Portal OfertaTotal is a sales channel MP4/MP5/MP6/MP7/MP8/MP9/M10 Phones and accessories.

All products displayed on the site are sold directly from the manufacturer.

We work with the system "Drop-Ship," in which the product is shipped directly from our distribution center in Hong Kong to the address informed by the client.
go on...guess where?

General Data from: DealExtreme
Room 225-226, Block B, Focal Industrial Center
21 Man Lok street
Hung Hom, Kowloon
Hong Kong

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.ofertatotal.com.br/interna.php%3Fcod%3D13333&ei=_FCjStOAKtGSkAWW7aHqDw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=9&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DRoom%2B225-226,%2BBlock%2BB,%2BFocal%2BIndustrial%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20

ellen_2009 - Ebay German Seller apparently

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://cgi.ebay.de/Macbook--13-Zoll-Akku-A1185-SONDERPREIS_W0QQitemZ180403789146QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090904%3FIMSfp%3DTL090904205007r31019&ei=aUajSuDxFI_6kAWO3oXbDw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=6&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Room%2B225-226,%2BBlock%2BB,%2BFocal%2BIndustrial%2BCentre%2522,%2B%2522EBAY%2522%26hl%3Den

And once again....Note the address:

Business Return instruction

For consumers, the following "cancellation and withdrawal episodes is" You may cancel your contract within 14 days without giving reasons in writing (eg letter, e-mail) or by returning the goods to Hong Kong as supplied.  The period begins on the date of receipt of the goods and in written notice informing you of Use. The revocation period is sufficient to send the revocation or thing. The revocation must be sent to:

DealExtreme

Room 225-226, Block B, Focal Industrial Centre Room 225-226, Block B, Focal Industrial Center

A German listing translated...Seller has 91.4 % and registered as a private seller...mmmmmhhhhh!!!

This looks Worldwide, and we're still looking....stand by and feel free to comment on these links to dx and add any more leads you find on this issue.  Let's all be like one famous Aussie democrat and 'keep the barstards honest'.

brisneygirl

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2009, 12:48:56 AM »
Thanks for that.

Here are some non-ebay ones I found;

I think someone mentioned this one earlier in the thread:

Greetings,

Was wondering if anyone has had any fraud activity on their paypal account right after ordering something from DealExtreme? I've had two charges on my Paypal account show up on the same day (today actually) after making an order with DealExtreme about a week and a half ago. I've ordered from DX before without any probs . just can't remember if I used my Paypal account at checkout.

This may be a major coincidence but I'm suspicious/paranoid/etc.
 http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1454637

Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: April 27, 2009 09:06PM 

Dealextreme is the company that I had ordered from just before my credit card got "hacked". Might have had nothing to do with them, but they seemed like the likely culprit...I didn't realize prior to ordering that they were in China, and when I realized it, it made me a bit concerned.

I *did* get the items I ordered (two separate orders), but they did take quite a long time (3 or 4 weeks). The tracking info never really got updated, and still said the same thing it had for two weeks on the day that it finally arrived.

Let us know if you suddenly do end up getting the items.
http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:ePplcFAab-kJ:forums.macresource.com/read.php%3F1,719847,719847+dealextreme+paypal+fraud&cd=25&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Posted by: davec
Date: April 27, 2009 10:14PM 

It certainly might be a coincidence, but the credit card account I use for my on-line purchases was hijacked one week after a purchase at DealExtreme. It was my first purchase from DealExtreme. Security lapses with other vendors could have led to the hijacked account, but the experience does make me hesitant about ordering from DealExtreme again.

Dave
http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:ePplcFAab-kJ:forums.macresource.com/read.php%3F1,719847,719847+dealextreme+paypal+fraud&cd=25&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Posted by: kj
Date: April 28, 2009 03:22PM 

Same as for undoug and davec, I had credit card fraud after ordering from them. I can't see dealextreme being worth the risk. There are reputable places to buy the same stuff, for not much more, although they may be a little harder

cueperkins

« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2009, 07:27:46 AM »
Hi Brisney...we'll keep looking for links on this one and post them here OK?.....It seems bizarre that there are so many worldwide entities, all leading back to this one dealer, and that dealer is attracting numerous complaints and fraud suspicions left, right and centre. 

You should still put in complaints about this, because if others are suggesting the same thing, then it could be more widespread than just DX.   My concern is that the safety issue is with Paypal itself, and that places so many at risk it's not funny.

cueperkins

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2009, 07:49:54 AM »
This get's better and better....Paypal is involved with Deal Extreme, in fact, they are promoting them? 

PayPal launches online shopping destination with major Asian retailers

July 30, 2009 - 3:37pm | author: Petrony | News | Payment systems

PayPal launches online shopping destination with major Asian retailers

An eBay online payments subsidiary PayPal has launched Asia Mall, an online shopping store that provides cash-conscious consumers with deals and special offers. Shopping via Asia Mall customers will be able to make purchases at major online retailers in Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan and Taiwan.

Retailers will be offering a range of promotional offers to PayPal customers, from 20 percent discounts to free warranties and free cross-border delivery. Shoppers can browse through different categories on the site which includes online health and beauty store, Sasa.com, and the leading online gadget store, DealExtreme.

“Online shoppers today are looking for choice, convenience and bargains and will happily purchase from overseas retailers to satisfy these needs,” said Farhad Irani, Vice President of Asia Pacific, PayPal. 

“Our Asia Mall offers Asian merchants the opportunity to connect with millions of these shoppers and drive cross-border trade for their business.”

http://www.ecommerce-journal.com/news/17136_paypal_launches_online_shopping_destination_with_major_asian_retailers?drgn=1

brisneygirl

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2009, 02:39:42 PM »
I rang Qld Police to ask what is the best way to make a fraud report and apprently they don't take police reports for crimes outside of their jurisdiction (ie. Qld).  Given the person was in Quebec then they weren't interested

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2009, 03:01:26 PM »
Brisneygirl, don't give up!

I would lodge complaints with the Banking Ombudsman, both against PayPal and your bank. If PayPal have admitted that the transactions were fraudulent then your bank should be refunding you the dishonour fees. Once you have completed the forms I would ring your bank (again) and let them know that you have lodged the complaints and ask to speak to someone with the authority to sort it out. If you don't get any satisfaction over the phone, make an appointment at your local branch, take all your paperwork and sit there until they refund your fees. Your local branch manager usually has the power to waive account fees.

http://www.fos.org.au/centric/home_page/resolving_disputes/how_to_lodge_a_dispute/how_to_lodge_a_dispute_banking_finance.jsp

https://www.bfso.org.au/ABIOWeb/ABIOWebsite.nsf/CComplaints?openform

cueperkins

« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2009, 03:13:10 PM »
That doesn't surprise me...I think you should try the Fed Police, but don't forget to mention that the issue involves your paypal account being hacked after shopping with dealextreme.  Your Paypal ACcount is in Australia, not in Quebec.  You are not so much trying to get anything from them, because it will only be through a BFSO complaint that you'll get Paypal to refund the fees. 

Your contact with Fed Police is to simply put in a 'written' complaint regarding your concerns over paypal hacking after shopping at that site, so Fed Police are aware that it could be a scam.   I think Scamwatch is another site, or you can go directly to the Fed Police site.

Secondly...Have you contacted Paypal yet?   If not, you need to lodge a complaint with them first.

When you lodge your complaint with Paypal, advise them of the factors that lead you to believe that your account was hacked after shopping on dealextreme (a company they actually promote?) sheesh.....no wonder they brushed off any suggestion of dealextreme being the security issue eh?.  Make sure you address the various fob offs they use to blame the victim..i.e .that you didn't follow links, nobody uses your computer, account etc, etc....

Ask Paypal in your complaint for an objective investigation of how your account was hacked and where the funds went to ....advise them of your complaint to Fed police in writing.  Point being, it can't just happen with no record of someone actually accessing your account and when?.  At the very least, get them to confirm that your account was indeed hacked and what they intend to do about it in terms of future security.  Also then set out what your bank has said, and their advice that Paypal should repay the balance of the fees.

Naturally, as I said, they'll decline to repay you and tell you that they are investigating but that they won't give you any information re: privacy...that's more bullshit....you need to demand to know whether your account with Paypal is safe, or vulnerable to further hacking...they should decline to reassure you of that too, other than some blurb about the latest security features.....you know the drill.

At that stage, you'll have what you need to lodge the FSO complaint.  Your main points with that one is that Paypal don't seem to be objectively investigating how your account was hacked, and as such, you have concerns about the security of their product.  Secondly, you should advise the advice and outcome your bank offered, and request the refund of the remaining $70.00. 

cueperkins

« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2009, 03:20:11 PM »
I should add that either way, if the Ombudsman believes you should be refunded, either your bank or Paypal will be advised of that obligation.  One or the other has to refund, hence, I'm sure you'll get your money back.  However, FSO, require that you attempt to resolve the issue first with paypal and doing so in writing is the only way to go. 

Anyone got Paypal's current consumer complaint link for written complaints?   

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2009, 03:36:21 PM »
Contact the Computer Crime Investigation Unit (details here. Ask whether it's possible to investigate this in a wider context, since there's a lot more going on than your own situation. If it's seen as part of a widespread and large-scale fraud involving a lot of money worldwide, it may be possible to get a fraud investigation rolling...

brisneygirl

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2009, 06:25:09 PM »
Thanks again for the advice, links and help - it is greatly appreciated.

I called Paypal again!! and have been given the following email address to lodge a written complaint: aucr@paypal.com

And this bit is GOLD - I asked what investigations Paypal do around individual cases of fraud and she said none, because there are so many cases.  But she assured me they would cooperate with the police.  Hmmm, maybe if it was paid a little more attention there might not be so much!!!!!

I was wanting to include the police report no. in the complaint to the Ombudsman, but I might just proceed and include the fact that I have contacted Qld Police.

I got a letter from CBA today stating they have refunded half of my fees and believe Paypal should cover the rest.  So I now have all of the paper work from Paypal and CBA to proceed.

I will post my complaint letters here for review too (hope you don't mind).

I am going to make 60 Mins etc aware, cause even if they don't do anything this time, they will if they here the same story enough.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2009, 11:18:46 PM »

Cudo's to you brisney....it's not about the money....it's the principle....

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2009, 11:31:46 PM »
I will post my complaint letters here for review too (hope you don't mind).

Your complaint letters - you have a perfect right to post them. (It only becomes problematic when people post private communications from others.)

You have the right attitude, Brisneygirl - gutsy, determined and not put off.

I dislike organised online fraud - it's cowardly as well as cheating. Something smells rotten in the state of DealExtreme. If there is something fraudulent going on, it needs to be uncovered.

I asked what investigations Paypal do around individual cases of fraud and she said none, because there are so many cases.  But she assured me they would cooperate with the police.
- this is bizarre, isn't it? "We don't investigate cases of fraud because there are so many?" It's like a policeman not investigating a murder because blimey... there are so many...

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2009, 11:36:50 PM »
They cant investigate because their "invesigation team" is a figment .....all they have is a selection of generic emails which they choose from and send to the relevant party's involved and quite often they select an irrelevant email

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2009, 11:39:56 PM »
G'day Smee.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2009, 11:41:05 PM »
hello Birdman