Author Topic: Forum was down  (Read 68537 times)

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
Re: Forum was down
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2010, 11:18:06 AM »
And yes- it's just got to be smee;s fault
 - he just looks sooooo guilty!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2010, 11:51:33 AM »

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2010, 11:11:49 PM »
I can not access the Oz Roundtable on my desk top. I haven't been able to for a couple of days, except for a short time yesterday. I am using my Wife's laptop which has allowed me access.

I don't know what has happened with my system but, I can access other websites without problem.

Is it my system or are others having similar problems?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2010, 11:18:41 PM »
birdie .... heaps of people are having problems still ..... unfortunatley I havent the nouse to help you .... but I reckon it has to be at their end as so many people have problems so I would be reluctant to try anything until someone with knowlege comes along

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2010, 11:20:57 PM »
Thanks Smee. I just looked at some of the threads & many regulars (Fluffy, Yib, Brum6y, Countess and many others do not appear to be posting either.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2010, 11:24:26 PM »
I wonder why I can access the site using the Wife's laptop with a wireless USB stick to get into the internet but my computer won't access using broadband cable. Both the wife's laptop wireless stick & my cable broadband are both Optus.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2010, 11:34:01 PM »
yes strange isnt it ? .... I can now get in on both my set ups and both are also using broadband dongles and I can get in .... whereas before I couldnt and those whom now cant could ..... weird isnt it

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2010, 11:47:36 PM »
Helllooooo.  I'm not really here.  You see I can't get in via my normal TPG provider.  I wonder if my fixed IP is blocked.

However, I am now attached via a Virgin dongle having turned the firewall off to allow it and I can get in.  Haven't been able to for days.

Still can't if I go via the normal way.

Too strange......
:duckling:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2010, 02:28:41 AM »
Apparently eBay was down everywhere on Friday.  ;D

I have been having problems and although I did manage to get into the forums here this evening, there were still problems. I looked up the instructions for Vista and did the following (which is what countessa advised) but these were the steps for Vista).

Here is how to fix that corrupted DNS cache in vista.

1. Click the Microsoft Vista Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
2. Click All Programs
3. Click Accessories
4. RIGHT-click on Command Prompt
5. Select Run As Administrator
6. In the command window type the following  ipconfig /flushdns and then hit Enter
7. You will see the following confirmation:

Windows IP Configuration
Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

I was also having trouble with my bank site, but all appears back on track now....Fingers crossed ;D

Definitely no need to apology, countessa ;D ;D ;D It is the wonderful world of technology and we have to grin and bear it....or, in my case...panic  :rofl:

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2010, 12:14:49 PM »
Im In

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2010, 12:34:40 PM »
Finally able to access OzRT after more than 4 days...

This is the latest from the server company's president:

A Message from Ronny.

What a week.. I cannot begin to express my sorrow at what transpired this past week.

At 12PM Wednesday afternoon we began to experience high load issues on our Cloud Infrastructure which hosted our Ferrari server. By 1PM sites were going offline due to the extreme iowait times. Iowait is basically a bottleneck in data transmission from the storage device, the SAN. In essence, data was being delivered so slowly to the server that no web pages were capable of being served. We diagnosed the cause of this problem to lie with the clustered 40TB iSCSI SAN provided by our datacenter (using Hewlett-Packard StorageWorks). The datacenter spent precious hours troubleshooting it to no avail. By midnight that night, they determined it was an issue with our cloud, that we were sending mass amounts of data to their system. We knew this was not true... we host regular clients with dyanmic yet normal content. By this time the downtime was already unacceptable. They claimed that we were the only client having issues. I spoke with the CEO of our datacenter and convinced him to move us to another cloud.
By morning, the migration was complete yet the problem persisted. We were forced to immediately switch all of our customers to traditional boxes running 15K RPM SA-SCSI Drives. The sites were restored from backups that were a day (by that time 2 days) old. However our sync of the latest, fresh data from the SAN was being transferred at crawling speed due to the iowait issues. By this time the datacenter techs informed us other customers were having similar issues. Friday morning Hewlett-Packard technicians were in the datacenter troubleshooting and diagnosing their SAN.

As of this moment we still have no had an explanation from our DC what the issue was, or if it is fixed. The last we heard was that there may have been faulty drives in part of the SAN - coincidentally the part of the SAN that we were stored on.

This has been an arduous journey. Many members of our staff stayed after and even stayed for double shifts, without even asking for overtime, during the past few days. It makes me happy to know that we have staff who care so much. Phil and I have not left the office since Wednesday night. We are completely invested in our clients, and it breaks our heart to see so many of our clients websites go down.

We know how important your websites are, and how stressful this entire situation has been. I know that we have lost the trust of many of our clients, but we will continue to be here and build back your trust, one day at a time. For those of you who inevitably decide to seek an alternate provider, please send in a ticket for a full refund of February. You should not need to pay for a month when service was not met. We accept full responsibility for what happened, and we'll also hold your account for as long as you need to move data off of it. For those clients who decide to stay with us, we thank you and appreciate you from the bottom of our hearts. We promise we will not let you down again, ever.

The clients who have decided to stay with us, please don't forget to send in a ticket to Billing to have the hosting charges for the next 3 months waived.

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please feel free to email us, call us, or send in a support ticket.

Some sites on the server are still affected, so I'm going to store members' email addresses offline as well as here, so that I can at least contact you to give you an update in the event of the site being down again.

Thank you for your patience; I still have a lot of sorting out to do to get in touch with the other sites that continue to be affected.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2010, 12:41:43 PM »
Good luck Countess , thank you for all you time and effort in trying to do whatever you could to get it back up and running

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »

{ Record mode }....Star log Monday 22 Feb 2010... have managed to log in... will scout for survivors but percentage of finding members maybe low... most members would have withdrawal symptoms and used alternate real life methods..... I will continue to scout ... End transmission..... Commander YIB...

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2010, 04:27:45 PM »
Report to Commander yib.

The cloud is lifting. I see a silver lining ;D

Withdrawal symptoms severe----due, in part, to an extraordinarily embarrassing consumption of Mentos. I think my teeth are falling out. :shakehead:

Countess, What a saga! ...Keep smiling :) :console: :bubbly:
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

HellWest'nCrooked

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »

Yabba dabba do...I'm in....thank goodness RL got in the way for the last few days or my teeth might have been joining Cents on the floor..lol

Thank you Tessa for your hard work....and thanks Smee

Westie :ivanhoe:
Ain't no rhyme or reason
No complicated meaning

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2010, 04:40:23 PM »
Another hiatus this afternoon - but back for the moment.....

Spell checker looks interesting - how good is your memory?!!!!

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2010, 04:51:43 PM »
Memory...Non existant.

I have looked at Spell Check. Not sure what I am looking for. :huh:

Please explain ;D ;D ;D

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Well, for me, the buttons at the bottom are miniscule and have no words inside them and the box telling me the spell check is complete doesn't have those words in it.

I take it it's ok for you?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »
Try it now, Brumby. I had to edit the theme's directory because the absolute path has changed.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

HellWest'nCrooked

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »

Tessa..does your work ever end?

:10: :10: :10: :uthewoman: :uthewoman: :uthewoman:

Westie  :ivanhoe:
Ain't no rhyme or reason
No complicated meaning

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »
Try it now, Brumby. I had to edit the theme's directory because the absolute path has changed.

Fixed!

Just missing a few avatars now... not all, though.

I can see Tello's, Yib's and Smee's - but no-one else on this page.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2010, 06:01:07 PM »
.... the 3 Amigos??????

Now that looks suss!

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »
The duckee is semi reporting in.  I am once again using my virgin dongle, having disabled my TPG provider access.  I cannot access with TPG access.??????

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »
The duckee is semi reporting in.  I am once again using my virgin dongle, having disabled my TPG provider access.  I cannot access with TPG access.??????

Yas gotta flush ya DNA's Fluff !....LOL... and clean the pond when ya finished..

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2010, 06:39:43 PM »
Haven't flushed DNS today, but did two days ago when I tried to get in.  No change.  Disable TPG and plugged in virgin dongle.  Instant access.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2010, 07:09:27 PM »
OK, just to prove my point again and make sure I wasn't going mad...

1.  I disable virgin dongle  (and I was successfully in the RT using it)
2.  I enabled TPG wireless access
3.  I tried to access the RT.  Result?  Link broken, cannot access.
4.  Flushed DNS which returned a successful message
5.  Rebooted and powered down laptop
6.  Restarted laptop which auto logged into TPG access.
7.  No access to RT.  Link broken
8.  Disabled TPG
9.  Enabled virgin dongle
10. Bingo I am back in.

Oh and Yib, I haven't cleaned my pond yet, I was too busy doing this stuff.  Am I going to get a spanking?

Lol I just realised you told me to flush my DNA.  Maybe that is where I am going wrong.  How do I do that?  Do I become another creature rather than a duck?

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2010, 07:33:39 PM »
I'm in, ripper. G'day everyone.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »
Its so nice to be back online.

It also gives us a real appreciation of this wonderful site and all the friends here, new and old. 

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2010, 07:47:56 PM »
*Waves to Birdie*

Great to see you too Mum.  Yes this is a great site and we have wonderful people here.  What has been great is that as soon as the site comes up everyone seems to know and jumps in.  That's dedication for you.

We are also very fortunate that the poor Countess has been willing to work her poor fingers to the bone.  (Just don't scream to much Tessa or you will ruin your voice)

Mum, I just love your avatar, but I'd have to say it does make me feel a little dizzy if I look at it too long.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2010, 07:55:59 PM »
Fluffy ;D Have a look at the below. The last inclusion is for Vista users. We do not see "Run"

A copy of a post from Countessa.
Some members have reported continuing problems, which I think may be related to their needing to flush their computer's DNS cache.

1. Click onto Start.
2. Click onto Run.
3. Type the following command:
    C:\>ipconfig /flushdns
4. You may also need to clear your browser cache (Tools>>Clear Recent History - and make sure you tick "Cache").
5. You may then also need to restart your computer.
6. Then try accessing here again.

Can I ask that anyone who knows of someone having difficulty accessing this site passes on this information, and lets me know whether it's solved the problem?

OR... this is for Vista users

Here is how to fix that corrupted DNS cache in vista.

1. Click the Microsoft Vista Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
2. Click All Programs
3. Click Accessories
4. RIGHT-click on Command Prompt
5. Select Run As Administrator
6. In the command window type the following and then hit enter: ipconfig /flushdns
7. You will see the following confirmation:

Windows IP Configuration
Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

NB

Also do steps  4, 5 and 6 as per Countessa's advice.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
Yep Centuries.  Have done all that.  Have also logged on from the desktop in my study which is never used to access the RT.  Tried using IE as well as Firefox and using the TPG access.  Cannot access this site.

:kisshug:

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »
Perhaps TPG have detected the site as being dodgy and have just shoved it out into the cold - all automatically.

I would expect there would be a 'recheck' at some time and they'll work out it's ok now - then you'll be right.

If you have the time and inclination, I'd be tempted to ring TPG tech support and tell them your problem - and that the site had experienced problems over the last few days, but is back up and running.  I'm guessing that if you get the right guy, he should be able to fix the problem by forcing a refresh at the right place.

That's if it doesn't happen automatically by the time you get through ... if they're anything like Optus..............

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2010, 08:32:33 PM »
Brumby I see the most hilarious suggestions with which to replace "brumby" in Spell Check. Seriously, all seems fine.

I cannot see many avatars. Can see Ubbie, yib, smee, mandurahmum and tello. That seems to be all that are showing.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2010, 08:38:07 PM »
I thought I would re load my avatar. This is what happened. Not such a bright idea after all :'(

An Error Has Occurred!
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2010, 08:41:59 PM »
I can see everyones except , Brumby and Fluffy one

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2010, 08:42:39 PM »
Aha. It seems that I'll need to change the permissions on several folders...

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »
cant see yours either Countess

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »

Look at the bright side Tess...you get 3 free months of rent !...unless they've made a better offer and given you more !....LOL

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2010, 08:50:24 PM »
I can only see the 3 amigos & Birdie

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »

Hey Fluff the amigo's have connections... { wanna buy an avatar little girl ? } -----LOL

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2010, 08:57:35 PM »
Yeah Fluffy. The system is not game to remove my avatar. It knows I will blow it to bits with the faithful Barret 50 cal.

Get yerself a gun.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »
An M95A maybe...   (don't wanna cramp the trigger finger)

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2010, 09:05:18 PM »
Hey I just got a message from Smee saying he is now gone down and can't access the RT.  Gets the 'oops' message.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2010, 09:06:13 PM »
Grrr!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »
Brumby I see the most hilarious suggestions with which to replace "brumby" in Spell Check. Seriously, all seems fine.

Yes, It's fine for me now, too.  The Countess was right on the ball and fixed it up in a few minutes.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2010, 09:11:30 PM »
Don't tell me it is down ......Please :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2010, 09:13:49 PM »
Hey I just got a message from Smee saying he is now gone down and can't access the RT.  Gets the 'oops' message.

Alas poor smeester...I knew him well...

a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one
now, to mock your own grinning? quite chap-fallen? Now get you to my lady's chamber, and tell her, let her paint an inch thick, to this favour she must come; make her laugh at that.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2010, 09:15:03 PM »
'It' is not down Centuries.  You and I are posting along with some others.   What has gone down is Smee's access.  He can no longer get in.   ??????????????  He was in and posting and then he said 'poof' he no longer had access.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2010, 09:34:55 PM »
fluffy,I know. Just getting into Gloom Mode in case ;D ;D ;D  That happened to me when I was happily "in" and typing away the other day. Kept saying "Oops!" and telling me the link was broken etc..

Alas poor smeester...I knew him well...

a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one
now, to mock your own grinning? quite chap-fallen? Now get you to my lady's chamber, and tell her, let her paint an inch thick, to this favour she must come; make her laugh at that.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »