Author Topic: Which Anti-Virus Programme would you Recommend ?  (Read 25273 times)

*cue*

Which Anti-Virus Programme would you Recommend ?
« on: July 29, 2009, 01:43:56 PM »
 :vent: - Being a consumer these days is a nightmare....

I've just had a horrendous 'customer service' dispute with CA Vet Anti-Virus.  The CSR's are in India....??  There company in the US...Do all American Companies operate on the same 'screw you' business model or what?

Get this...for years they send a tax invoice so I could renew my subscription in good time....Last year I used a credit card on their site to pay for the renewal.  Seems easy enough.  

This year I get three emails...one telling me there was a CC authorisation failure, and to follow a link and update my CC details?.  I never authorised a direct debit.......So... I figured this has to be a phishing email right?  Wrong....no kidding this company actually sends this type of email and expects you to follow a link to update cc details in this day and age?   No tax invoice anymore?

So I call them and advised that I had never given them authority and that they had no right to keep details of a one off payment.....they couldn't adequately explain that little anomaly.....cheeky blighters.

I once gave Ebay a direct debit authority, and one Christmas they removed double the fees they were owed?  I disputed it and eventually they credited me the same amount in fees...no refund...typical.  So, I decided to close down the direct debit......lmao....had to close the entire account and open another one just to get rid of it?.

So, from that point on I never gave another DD authority again.  So I know without question that I didn't authorise it with CA....Talk about 'Extreme Consumerism'...hate dealing with US companies...the majority appear to be predatory to the extreme, consumer unfriendly, and completely unaccountable in this country.

Anyway vent finished...... I'm over that company.....can anyone recommend a good anti virus program ?  I've heard Trend Micro is the best one to use these days?  

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
Re: Which Anti-Virus Programme would you Recommend ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:45:04 PM »
I use AVG pro....

Never had an issue with the program or the support from AVG

:wine:
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

*cue*

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:47:53 PM »
Hi Barny, I always thought that was one of those freeware programs...self confessed numpty here, but I'm larnin !!

I think I want one that does everything....lmao....doesn't everybody?  I know Poddy and others use Trend Micro....and I'm told to steer clear of Norton.....

Poddy

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »
Under all circumstances give Norton a miss.

In the industry it is known as the 'Norton Anti-virus Virus'.

It chews up reasourses like they were candy, it latches on like a mega leach and wants to cuddle you to death.

I use Avanquest Fixit Utilities and have done since version 2, it is now up to version 9.

I have tested a lot of products in my profession and Fixit is one of the best.

Here is the link for it

http://www.avanquest.com/USA/software/fixit-utilities-9-professional-114420?meta=work&cat=pc-essentials&sub=pc-security-pc-health&tr1=AQ_US_TR_FI9

Poddy

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 02:11:50 PM »
That software suite uses the TrendMicro virus definition table, and that is the best and most upto date there is and has ever been.

Hey does it show that I like it???

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 02:49:59 PM »
Yes Cupie,

You can get the second to latest version of AVG as a freebie, and it is pretty damned good... But after a year they will ask you to pay up for the next year... If you don't they cut you off (i Think).

Poddy

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 02:55:42 PM »
Barny,

I agree AVG a great freebie, it does a good job and is not too reasource hungry.

Anyone wanting a bit more than just AV then it is best yo pay for it, The Fixit Utilities suite does a heap more than just AV and is well priced for all its features.

And NO I dont get any commission hahaha

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 03:13:12 PM »
This serious stuff is diminishing the carnival atmosphere that this Forum is Famous for.
I know the OP is important. Bashing US companies is trendy & popular (I do it too).
And Norton is the Devil's work!

Carry on.
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

Poddy

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 03:22:37 PM »
Tello,

Norton can be likened to G W B always telling you to give up your freedom for the sake of security.

*cue*

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
Tello.....don't panic, I don't post threads often, so no threat of cramping your style matey....

Poddy, I'll take a look at the one you suggest...I'd also like to hear what Countess and Liisa recommend......I want one that is the best so I don't mind paying for it.  Thanks also Barny....I've heard that AVG is the best amongst freeware to use...I just don't want to use Vet anymore.  

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 03:30:43 PM »
......always telling you to give up your freedom for the sake of security.

Did ya see the post I made about "How to become a dictator"?

1 + 1 really is 2!

Poddy

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Cupie, there is a paid version of AVG as well, I think that that is the one Barny has, and its pretty good :)

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 03:33:30 PM »
Correct Poddy..

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 03:34:01 PM »
Tello.....don't panic, I don't post threads often, so no threat of cramping your style matey....

Style? Hmmmm. I never considered myself to have any. Function before Fashion is my creed, but thanks for the heads up anyway!  ;D

Poddy

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 03:34:15 PM »
No Tello,

I didnt see that post, I must be slipping

Poddy

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 03:37:23 PM »
Function before Fashion is my creed

Hmmm does that extend to drumminig too??

I cant imagine a functional drummer hehehehe

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 03:40:37 PM »
No Tello,

I didnt see that post, I must be slipping

It's at Tello HQ. And now here: (Possible thread hijack)

How to Become a Dictator in 6 Easy Steps

1) Scare the people with false flag attacks, exaggerated threats of foreign and domestic enemies, etc.

2) Present yourself, the would-be dictator, as a strong leader who will protect the people. Specifically, have your political and media lackies set you up as the "Great Leader". You must then "reluctantly" agree to save the country, since you have been "called" by God and the people to do so

3) Have the lackies trumpet you, the Great Leader, and reinforce a constant state of fear and confusion in the people non-stop -- so that the people gradually transfer all of their allegiance to the Great Leader as the only one who can lead the protection efforts to save their backsides

4) Have your lackies viciously attack anyone who questions the Great Leader as undermining the effort to save their backsides, and as helping the "enemy" (if you haven't developed a scary enough myth about the "enemy", go back to step 1)

5) Then the people will become so brainwashed that they'll do the attacking for you of anyone who questions you, the Great Leader

6) Cover and let sit for 5 minutes, and serve with caviar and cabernet.

Oops, wrong recipe... here's number 6:

Rape and plunder your nation's wealth and that of the countries you decide to invade. Spread the wealth around liberally to reward your lackies who helped you get there -- who will include some large defense contractors, media companies, and other corporations, and throw some loot at others you need to bribe to maintain your power.

This method works in any country, in any culture, in any period of time.

http://georgewashington.blogspot.com/2006/05/how-to-become-dictator-in-6-easy-steps.html

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »
Function before Fashion is my creed

Hmmm does that extend to drumminig too??

I cant imagine a functional drummer hehehehe

HeHeHeHeeeee.

Whatever......

*cue*

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 03:46:27 PM »
Gord...sounds like the CIA handbook.. Tello.......anyone seen Pillagers 'War On Democracy'?...An eyeopener to say the least.   It will make you question the motivation for the Gough Whitlam sacking all over again.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 04:12:28 PM »
 :hijack:

Poddy

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 04:13:30 PM »
Now dont you get me started on the subject of, Illuminati, the 911 event, Global Warming swindle, False Flag ops, Peak Oil or The War on Terror.

*cue*

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 04:14:31 PM »
PB might be down at the moment....Tello.....but

I is Ready fer ya !!!  

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 04:29:27 PM »
Don't be so sure.......

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 04:35:17 PM »
Can we get back on

????????????????????

bobbybigbear

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
NOD32 is a good one if you want to pay for one. There is a crack code floating around on the net somewhere, but it changes each year.
We use NOD32 at work, doesn't slow your speed like Norton used to, although I believe the latest version doesn't interfere with speed.

I use AVG free at home, the new version, Annisversary or something it's called, is excellent and the scan is quick as well, no more 50 minutes wait while everything slows down.

llama

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »
I use AVG Free http://free.avg.com/

It's only basic, but it can be scheduled. I've never had a virus etc, but there occasional false positives (especially on the very latest ummm... "software trial period extenders") but that just means waiting a few days until a new AV Definition file is released.

The main problem is that it checks every file every day, and you can't easily disable certain folders easily. I have literally millions of file, so a scan (on a P4 2.6GHz with 3GB RAM) takes about 5 hours! You cannot change the frequency of scans, so it can be very intrusive unless you set it up to scan during the night.

I am in the process of moving the majority of files to a (new) network server, where they will be excluded for future scans. The PCs have AV with resident memory protection, so if you even try to look inside an infected Zip File the alarm bells go off. So, I won't bother re-scanning the stuff on the server (which runs embedded Linux).

AVG also has email scanning (both inwards and outwards) and various spyware stuff built in. It doesn't have rootkit detection, so I also run that Windows Malicious thingy (come automatically each month in MS Update). I use Windows Firewall, but am also behind a Router with various hardware/software firewall rules.

So, for a freebie, I'd say AVG is the go. For paid, I'd say NOD or perhaps one of the Symantec versions.

ernest_price

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
AVG have consistently stated they will keep their free version 'free'. They do however reserve the right to remind you occasionally that you might like to upgrade to their paid version. Cheap price to pay for the most consistent AV progggie out there. Of course they reserve the right to withdraw it when they decide.

Avast is ok fine, but occasionally suffers from NAV syndrome. Usually fixed next update etc.

The other old joke with NAV was that the hacking community, using the new definition of hacking here, knew nav.exe better than the Symantec software engineers :) I've lost count of the number of times one of the  programmers in my old smallish company called me at their wit's end and asked me to help them resolve an issue so they could get back to programming - the first question I usually ask is "do you have NAV installed?". Invariably a NAV uninstall then registry cleanup will have their software working again within 20 minutes.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 08:08:17 PM »
We stepped away from Norton Internet Security at Version 8. It was a dreadful release. We followed-up with Bitdefender Internet Security - (full version available as tryware free / 30 days) A ten user pack in this product was $174 / yr. Stepped back to Norton Internet Security - Version 9, at the beginning of the year. ($55 / 3 users) This has been a great package. Speed is up - bloat is way down. Updates are now daily/hourly at times. Overall... HUGE improvement. 5 Machines networked here with four users. No viruses / trojans / successful intrusions to date!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 09:34:14 PM »
Symantec is my anti-virus software of choice.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »
AVG free because I'm a Scrooge.

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 10:52:20 PM »
We have AVG paid version- 3 computers on one license! I USED to have vet too - until I had a complete failure on my puter, and the techs found squillions of viruses (virii?) that had cooked it pretty good.
New puter was on the free AVG, til the vet subscription expired on hubby's puter.
When we downloaded the paid version and did a full scan, nothing had got through on the freebie version, so I think it's pretty good too.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 11:14:59 PM »
Evening all.

We use AVG free version and ZoneAlarm firewall. As Llama said, we run scans overnight as it can really slow the computer down. We also run Lavasoft Ad-Aware a couple of times a year as an extra check because youngest son is a heavy download user (60GB a month) of movies, music, graphics etc that are the usual carriers of virus. Haven't had a virus in many years.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »

For my virus @ the moment I use        

For my army of PC's I use Nortons Symantec corporate edition { you won't find this on the shelves }

I'm feeling a little better but still can't post @ my usual blistering pace.....{ lucky for Tello....}

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2009, 01:13:13 AM »
I use Trendmicro Pro. I was very impressed when I contacted them about something that I was not sure about last year. They were very patient...have to be with me..and I find Trendmicro Pro to be excellent.  Had to find my way around it to see where to find all the help stuff, but that is just me  ;D  I use it's firewall and our router firewall. I do not use Microsoft's firewall.

I run Spybot occasionally. No virus etc problems.

Yibida ... I hope the pesky virus is soon zapped. It is a beast. A pat for you and some :tissue:
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2009, 06:10:12 PM »
I use Panda which i have found to be outstanding in every way, it is the best I have used and I have used all those mentioned in this thread at some point or other lol.
http://www.pandasecurity.com/

I have also been advised of a very VERY good spyware program, it outdoes Spybot and Ad Aware hands down, it catches things that those two combined do not, I highly recommend it, I did a sweep with my regular spyware, then installed and used Super Anti Spyware, I was astounded, I have used it ever since.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Remember to De Frag regularly too!
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*cue*

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2009, 06:14:33 PM »
Do you need to remove spybot and Adaware first?  Already got rid of spybot and was using crap cleaner...what's the difference?...is the one you're recommending the same as or better than crap cleaner too?  If so, then I'll dump the rest and try that one out.

Still trying to decide over virus software though....So far there seems to be a majority using AVG....I'm on dial up, not sure if that matter, i.e. it takes ages to do a vet scan already so just wondering if it makes a difference.

I get that Norton tries to cuddle you to death...loved that description poddy..lmao...

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2009, 06:23:41 PM »
Yes do remove spybot and adaware as they add to your registry and will throw out false positives, and or files created by them will be detected as a rogue of sorts, there is no need for them when you have SAS.

CC cleaner  you can keep.
The Windows registry is where the operating system stores all of its information about the programs installed, settings, user data, and a ton of other stuff.  After time, the registry can get bloated with information that is no longer used, and having it around seriously degrades your PC’s performance.  CCleaner is excellent for this purpose.

Stay away from Norton....

*cue*

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2009, 06:29:31 PM »
Good I'll get rid of Adaware give it a go....Adaware never picks anything up these days, since I installed crap cleaner...not sure why, but it takes forever to scan.

Cheers and thanks Lisa.....Why do you recommend the virus scanner you have over other ones?  i.e. trendmicro, AVG and the one Poddy mentioned?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2009, 06:38:13 PM »
Anti virus???? I just cleam my screen and keybord with dettol ... seems to work

logbox

• Knight
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2009, 06:40:20 PM »
now do the rest of your body Smee.
At the end of the day.....it's night time.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2009, 06:45:02 PM »
Panda Antivirus Pro10
It has a free 30 day trial also if you want to try it out, I pay for mine.

"The most common complaint about antivirus software is that it can make any brand-new, state-of-the-art computer run like it's 1989 again. This is why it's a pleasure to report Panda Antivirus Pro 2010 doesn't noticeably slow down the PC."

It's definately user friendly, it does not clutter or hijack anything on your desktop or anywhere for that matter, it contains it's own antispyware as a backup, it doesnt bog anything down, having said that, I found Panda works for me but as far as free AVP's Avast and AVG are fine.

Identity Theft Protection
The new Anti-Banking Trojans engine detects the most dangerous identity theft malware used by cyber-criminals to steal banking credentials. Specialized heuristics and generic detection techniques ensure maximum protection for online transactions. Furthermore the Anti-Rootkit Technology detects and removes silently-installed rootkits used by malware or hackers to evade traditional antivirus products. The free Panda Anti-Rootkit, used by millions of people around the world, recently won the Editor's Choice award from PC Magazine.

Panda does it's job admirably.

*cue*

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 07:13:40 PM »

Sounds pretty good to me....I have a 3 month extension on the current virus scan, so I can try one out for a month before deciding....might try the ones you've recommended unless someone can suggest something even better...this one sounds pretty groovy...

bobbybigbear

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 11:58:53 PM »
If you download a wallet, you defeat keystroke loggers as your not using your keyboard.

Most of the problems with spyware is people have them running all the time, and it makes their PC run like a 286 on dial up.
You can set your defaults on all windows and vista to run your spyware only when receiving mail, or sheduled scan times.
That was the big problem with previous Norton applications, they were never off and just chewed up resources meant for other applications. You can manually turn off applications you don't need.

A freeware programme that many people have forgotten about is WinPatrol. It is from BillP Studios and free, and a great programme. It notifies you if anything tries to install itself on your hardrive or change any files.
The icon is a Scottish terrier called scotty, and it is on whenever your computer is switched on. It's the first programme I download when setting up a new computer.

The thing I like about this programme is it allows you to select cookies you wish to deleat, and it allows you to clean them up in seconds. Also is good to see what cookies sites put on your computer. Simply deleat all cookies, go to the site, then check Scotty to see what cookie has been sent.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2009, 11:14:29 AM »
Cupie, you may want to read through these links to be s ure you've got a good overview of the CURRENT status of anti-virus software. (Norton 2009, for instance, is not the resource hog its predecessors were.)

http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/tp/aatpavwin.htm
http://www.all-internet-security.com/top_10_antivirus_software.html
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
http://www.pcantivirusreviews.com/
http://www.consumersearch.com/antivirus-software/best-antivirus-software (probably the fairest and most thorough reviews)

As you'll see, all of these reviews have different perspectives. You'll need to consider that some of the top recommendations on these sites may be... ahem... not exactly without a vested interest in the recommendation.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*cue*

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2009, 12:27:35 PM »
Hi Bobby, Hi Countess....I'll take a look at these links when I have time this afternoon....You're right...it gets confusing because first you need to know what you need, and of course, computer numpty's don't necessarily understand the basic functions of these things....so it's like you have to learn what most things are first, and then figure out if they apply to you...not easy guys.

I downloaded the one that Lisa recommended last night i.e. Super anti Spyware, and it found 4 objects, but that's fairly typical of what Ad-Aware usually finds after a night on the internet.  Crap cleaner seems to get rid of all the other garbage so for now, I'm using those, and Vet.   As I said, I have a few months to decide....but basically, it's probably better to describe how and what I use the computer for....firstly, I DON'T go to U-tube Facebook or the like, because I'm on dial up..lol...self explanatory and I otherwise, have no interest...I don't have kids downloading music, games or graphics and I mostly use the net for research, and some shopping on Ebay occasionally, but not much these days.  I don't open emails with links and tend to remove any unsolicited mail immediately..i.e. from strangers offering bigger appendages or ways to get a rise out of said appendages....lol

When viruses are around, I tend to log onto my ISP home page to access email, and then they never get downloaded.....so....with that said, do I really need all the bells and whistles?

I also post on this site.....but that's really about it...I'm not sure what I need and I'm not networked or anything...just one stand alone computer....So...I'll have a read and see if I'm any the wiser...thanks for those links......

llama

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2009, 11:06:56 AM »
AVG Free on dialup may just "kill you" with it's updates. In order to not bring you down to a crawl, you need to set it to download in the background (late at night) when you are not using the machine, or download your updates manually. That will require you to be online - how do you cover AV Updates currently?

As far as I am aware, AVG Free can only schedule Virus Definition Updates once per day, which is fine on broadband but may be a hassle on dialup. This is the type of flexibility that is lacking in the free version of the software.

*cue*

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2009, 12:41:06 PM »
Hi Llama...my current AV downloads in the morning when I log on, and I don't generally notice it...it's quick and happening in the background.  The scans take a while, and they can slow speed down a bit, but I usually scan when I'm not using the computer for anything else.

If AVG is noticeably slower, then the one I have is probably better, so I'd want one that's even better again...Vet Billing practices are unacceptable otherwise, I don't find the product too bad..I don't actually need a free one...I don't mind paying for it....I own a business, so it's all tax deductible anyway.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2009, 01:53:22 PM »
AVG's scans are heavy-handed, agreed. It's a bit like having a loud cockney rubbish collector present to inform you about his views on life while you're trying to coax a baby to sleep...

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 02:56:47 PM »
G'Day folks,

As mentioned up there ^^^ I use AVG Pro, which downloads everyday when I fire up... It is not noticeable..

When it does the weekly scheduled scan, I can continue to use the computer with a noticeable slowing of performance... But this slowing is not material in my case... During a 1.5 hour scan, I might lose a few seconds... No big deal.. It is the scan that slows not the application, and might take an extra ten minutes to complete

Cheers

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 11:04:08 AM »
Bobby. Based on your advise I have downloaded & installed Win Patrol. What do I need to do to have it active in the background, or is it automatically active?
I have set up a desk top icon.