Author Topic: Pay Pay sellers protection - its a figment of their imagination  (Read 52995 times)

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
In my opinion there isn't any ,

In case you are wondering .... I have just been pineappled by PayPal !

Enough said .... vent over .... I will deal with it myself

Just warning others  ..........

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Pay Pay sellers protection - its a figment of their imagination
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »
Smee, Smee, Smee, you can't leave us in suspense like that...! Was it the ROUGH or the SMOOTH end of the pineapple? And what happened? What can we do?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

RiffRaff

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 08:59:31 PM »
C'mon Smee...........ya don't get off that easy :)

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:03:28 PM »

Smee...I got the can opener....and the fishing rods ready....

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:45:16 PM »
Let me guess...you sent it....and then they did a chargeback?  Unauthorised transaction?

Was it Registered?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 09:56:55 PM »
Let me guess...you sent it....and then they did a chargeback?  Unauthorised transaction?

Was it Registered?

pretty much spot on Roo except the buyer didnt authorise the charge back , the money has gone from his account , paypal sent me an instant payment advice saying ok to send .... next day they debited my account and are holding funds pending investigation.... buyer didnt open a dispute Paypal are just being paypal ... fact is I acted based on their original instruction that payment was good and item ok to send

RiffRaff

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 10:09:24 PM »
So it's a pending investigation Smee. You haven't actally lost the money.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 10:13:42 PM »
So it's a pending investigation Smee. You haven't actally lost the money.
Riff yesterday the money was allocated to my paypal account .... today its gone
The pratt from Pay pal said yes its under investigation and I should hear within 10 to 60 days When I pumped him for info he incinuated that the chances of me ever getting the bugs bunny were  extremely slim !!!!

The buyer is completley confused !!!!

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 10:18:30 PM »
Possible scenario...

Buyer has opted to have funds taken from bank account...and has a credit card attached to Paypal...so the payment may look instant...unless there are no funds in his account when Paypal get there.

or...

Buyer is telling porkies

or....

Paypal are having one of their 'let's mess with their minds' days.

RiffRaff

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 10:25:38 PM »
I wouldn't let up until you find out why the transaction is under investigation Smee.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 10:26:03 PM »
Possible scenario...

Buyer has opted to have funds taken from bank account...and has a credit card attached to Paypal...so the payment may look instant...unless there are no funds in his account when Paypal get there.

or...

Buyer is telling porkies

or....

Paypal are having one of their 'let's mess with their minds' days.

Roo yes all are possible scenarios except the buyer isnt telling Porkies

and my point is that if Paypal have a dispute or issue with the buyer thats between them and shouldnt affect me
Paypal already sent me an email saying payment had be made and ok to post so I did if the funds arent available to paypal then they shouldnt have sent that message to me !!!

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 10:32:45 PM »
Has the buyer contacted Paypal yet?

It would be interesting to hear what they tell him... :evil:

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 10:37:04 PM »

Just as a matter of interest.. last year I had a conversion with an ex-paypal employee in the states..I was told things by him that would make you laugh..be disgusted..be amazed.. and things you would never believe could happen.. he is the one that made me decide not to sign up with paypal..he also wanted my assurance not to disclose anything he told me.. I believe everything he said to be true......nuf said.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 10:43:45 PM »

Roo the buyer is absolutley confused and when I spoke to him tonight I suggested he ring them ... He May but why should he
he has the item as far as he is concerned there isnt an issue

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 10:55:27 PM »

Roo the buyer is absolutley confused and when I spoke to him tonight I suggested he ring them ... He May but why should he
he has the item as far as he is concerned there isnt an issue

Yeah!...BUT...he still has your money!

If that happened to me, I'd be straight on the phone to Paypal to help my seller out....or offer to pay by bank deposit.

RiffRaff

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 10:58:23 PM »
From what I gather Roo, Paypal are holding the funds. The buyer didn't get refunded :)

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 10:58:40 PM »
Yeah yeah...in post #5 you said the money had gone from his account....but do you know for sure?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 11:04:38 PM »
Yeah yeah...in post #5 you said the money had gone from his account....but do you know for sure?

Thats immaterial to me Roo ... Paypal said payment all ok ...send item ... I did
so if payment not ok then they can sort out with buyer ... not F.M.U.T.A.

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 11:22:34 PM »
Ok...no use trying to rely on Paypal to spill the beans...they have this confidentiately clause they fall under when it suits them.

How about asking the buyer to send a screen shot of the actual amount that was dedected from their account? Tell them you need to show it to Paypal to get them to release the funds or something.

If they make a huge fuss....then they must have something to hide?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 11:25:51 PM »
Ok...no use trying to rely on Paypal to spill the beans...they have this confidentiately clause they fall under when it suits them.

How about asking the buyer to send a screen shot of the actual amount that was dedected from their account? Tell them you need to show it to Paypal to get them to release the funds or something.

I agree Roo to a certain extent .... but my point is paypal should be sorting this out with the buyer ... Paypal already told me funds had cleared it was ok to send now they have changed their minds ... too late item gone ... should be their problem not mine....... they said funds cleared give me the money honey !!!!!!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 11:37:37 PM »
Smee, I acknowledge what you're saying.

I agree that PayPal do handle this sort of situation in something less than the best way.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 11:40:17 PM »
Smee, I acknowledge what you're saying.

I agree that PayPal do handle this sort of situation in something less than the best way.

So back to my original statement ... The sellers protection is Bollocks !!!
They protect the seller in no way whatsoever , by insisting on registered post they pass the onus onto Aust post for lost items for starters .... so where is the protection provided by paypal ????

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 11:42:26 PM »
It isn't there in cases like this. This is exactly the sort of situation that I find particularly worrying with PayPal. It leaves the seller vulnerable, without adequate redress and without any way to find out what on earth is going on.

Here, use this vent emoticon...

:vent:

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 11:43:46 PM »

I agree Roo to a certain extent .... but my point is paypal should be sorting this out with the buyer ... Paypal already told me funds had cleared it was ok to send now they have changed their minds ... too late item gone ... should be their problem not mine....... they said funds cleared give me the money honey !!!!!!

Ina perfect world maybe Smee...but this is Paypal we are talking about...lol

I would really love to know why they actually can't give sellers at least a clue as to why things like this happen.

A simple stock answer of 'Insufficient funds'...or 'Account closed'...or...'Their dog died'....

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 11:46:55 PM »
Roo, can you imagine some of the wonderful "reasons" Paypal might give if forced to supply a reason?

"The buyer informed us he is dead."

"We thought you looked suspicious as a seller because someone told us you wore dark glasses."

"We were playing pintail-the-donkey to find out which lucky sellers would have their funds frozen, and guess what? - You were one of the "it" team!"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 11:48:43 PM »
once again Roo I agree totally , but non of the above are my problem , they are all Paypals problems ... If the guy didnt have sufient funds then dont send the payment notification saying ok to post !!!!

I acted on their advice , they got it wrong, should be their problem ..... different story if item went astray but it hasnt 

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 12:06:33 AM »
once again Roo I agree totally , but non of the above are my problem , they are all Paypals problems ... If the guy didnt have sufient funds then dont send the payment notification saying ok to post !!!!

I acted on their advice , they got it wrong, should be their problem ..... different story if item went astray but it hasnt 

Ok...fair enough...don't blame you for seeing it that way.

Have you tried the old 'Release the funds or I go to the Ombudsman' spiel?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 12:08:27 AM »

Ok...fair enough...don't blame you for seeing it that way.

Have you tried the old 'Release the funds or I go to the Ombudsman' spiel?

I could do that Roo but to be honest its not the money thats the issue here its the principle .. what if it was a high price item , where does the seller stand ..... alone thats where he stands

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 12:34:02 AM »
As Redeye always says....You are never alone... 8)

You would have a good case to go to the Ombudsman if needed...and I would... just to P Paypal off! :green:

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 12:40:30 AM »
As Redeye always says....You are never alone... 8)

You would have a good case to go to the Ombudsman if needed...and I would... just to P Paypal off! :green:

I would be very interested to hear if anyone has ever actually been covered by paypal  (not Aust post ) under the sellers protecion policy ... I am talking about actual cases not possible scenarios where people think they may be protected or so called stories of other people being covered
I have serious doubts .... 

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 01:14:00 AM »
Whatever the fears are, the actuality is Paypal has not made a final determination, so calling it 'lost money' is not strictly correct - yet.

I would, however, expect some sort of notification as to the reasoning behind it and I find the lack of that somewhat intolerable.

I don't know how practical it would be - but I'd be inclined to print out the 'OK to post' message and then head for the Ombudsman if things go south.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 01:27:13 AM »
Hi Brumby , I dont consider it lost money ,you are the second poster to mention that I think Riff may have made that comment , but I dont recall saying its lost money , but I havent checked back on my post ... but now you mention it I consider paypal have stolen the money from me or at the very least temporarily borrowed it back without permission .....
The fact remains , (in my opinion) they DO NOT PROVIDE THE SELLER WITH 1 IOTA OF PROTECTION ......  ZILCH ...... FAYH!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 02:08:56 AM »
Sorry Smee - didn't mean to put words in your mouth, but there were many reactions along those lines.

Whle I have no love for Paypal, they do perform a service that seems to work pretty well most of the time - it's the problem situations that get the 'air time'.

Sorta like traffic - you don't hear about the 56,000 success stories of people travelling down the M4, but you will see graphic detail of a car vs truck event.

Paypal's actions need to be explained.  If it's a chargeback situation, then it's understandable - but not helpful to you.  Doesn't seem like the seller is really protected - but then the same risk exists for fraud in a B&M store.

If the reason is an internally generated one from Paypal, then I would have expected your 'ok to post' notification should not have been given.

Either way, in my opinion, Paypal need to be more transparent and need to have better processe of arbitration, from what I have heard.

The other thing is, too, that whatever provisions Paypal put in place to address the concerns of a valid complaint can be twisted and used by those who want to scam... and they do.  So when a problem arises, the question is: "Who is telling the truth?" ... the person who says 'trust me' the loudest?

This is nothing against you, Smee, not at all - it's just a business perspective that Paypal MUST take.

Paypal is a high wire act - simply because it deals with money and does so on the internet.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2009, 02:32:10 AM »
Hi Brumby , appreciate your comments thanks ,
so lets look at it as if it were a B&M business
If I went to Coles and at the check out handed over a card , they swipe through eftpos machine
it says transaction approved , I take goods home ...
under no circumstances would coles get a message on that eftpos machine the next day saying .... Oh sorry the transaction we approved yesterday ... well guess what its not approved now bacd luck.....

In this case Paypal is my eftpos machine I have to take their original "transaction approved" email as gospel ...
Do I not ???????
and if they have prematurely approved the transaction then its their problem not mine !!!!!!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2009, 02:52:51 AM »
and if they have prematurely approved transaction then its their problem not mine !!!!!!

You would think so.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2009, 03:03:56 AM »
according to their sellers protection policy to be covered I need to pride proof that item has been posted ,
I can do better than that I can prove its been delivered and delivered to the correct person
1. the buyer has left positive feedback
2. The post office have proof of delivery

Still not covered by Paypal non existant sellers protection though !!!!!

I would have been better off if Aust post lost the item , they would have reimbused value of item , not the postage cost but at least I would have something ..... Or better still if the buyer used direct deposit  I would have the whole lot ... so based on this how can anyone say paypal is as safe or safer than direct deposit for seller ??????

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2009, 12:52:38 PM »
..... Or better still if the buyer used direct deposit  I would have the whole lot ... so based on this how can anyone say paypal is as safe or safer than direct deposit for seller ??????

I don't think anyone would argue that direct deposit isn't better for the seller - but the whole payment issue has to balance good & bad buyers versus good & bad sellers. Direct deposit for a bad seller, I think we would all agree, is not going to be in the best interests of the buyer. To be prudent in the discharge of their responsibilities, Paypal need to treat every transaction with an open opinion on its legitimacy.  As such, I don't have a problem with precautionary procedures, per se, but I believe the appeals mechanism and acceptable evidence rules need work.

I will acknowledge some fundamental logistic constraints, in that the more forms of evidence you accept, the more work you create in verifying it, collating it and applying it to a case - as well as offering more opportunity for conflicting points to emerge.  Also, when you complicate things, scammers will look for - and often find - weaknesses, which are then dutifully exploited.

This does not excuse Paypal from the responsibility of correctly resolving each and every case, just that doing so will require additional resources - overheads that any business would rather do without.  This is especially true when performance is measured - the guide to justification of resource levels.  Using the old 80/20 rule, those additional resources will only clear (on a count) one quarter of the cases of their counterparts.  Without legislative constraints or those that would exist by signing the EFT code (for example), the cost/benefit analysis of those additional resources could fall outside their 'acceptable' limits.  Taking up such a position would require some pretty thick-skinned management - but I think there would be many who consider Paypal as having excelled in that area.

In my view, Paypal have - whether actively or passively - allocated the appeals escalation process to the Ombudsman. It is an independent office; doesn't cost Paypal anything unless a case is brought before them; does all the hard work and hands down a resolution - a process which, by the way, would likely have been pursued if the plaintiff wasn't happy with Paypal's decision - no matter how many levels of escalation it may have been through.  So why even bother?  Paypal would be further encouraged to take this stand with the simple fact that many people would baulk at approaching the Ombudsman, for any of a number of reasons.

I would, therefore, recommend all reasonable steps be taken to resolve the matter with Paypal - which must allow for Paypal defined processes, requirements and timeframes - collecting all evidence on the item, postage, communications, Paypal and so on.  (You must be seen to have given the 'offending' party every opportunity to address your complaint.)  If that fails to resolve in your favour, then take it to the Paypal escalation service ... the office of the Banking and Financial Services Ombudsman.

RiffRaff

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »
You have a brilliant mind Brumby..........damn I wish I'd said that :)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »
Accolades from the Riff-meister!     (is that good or bad? ;) )

The only trouble with all that, though, is when you're the one with real money stuck somewhere - especially when you really need it - being clear and analytical with the patience required is kinda hard.

RiffRaff

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2009, 02:05:47 PM »
Please Brumby........take this opportunity to distance yourself from me.....less you are tarred by the Riff brush  :pmsl:

(posted in good humour to a realist)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2009, 02:24:38 PM »
I is a big boy ... I'll risk it ;)

(Good humour understood - implicitly)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2009, 01:57:43 AM »
Brumby, excellent outline. Your comments about the fundamental logistic constraints are well put. Of course, sellers should not be in the position of being so vulnerable to a case-unconnected bot-based decision process when there is a problem, but that's the way PayPal is.

I think sellers who use PayPal have sometimes simply shrugged and accepted that this is how to deal with Paypal - accept that it's bot-based, accept that it won't resolve on a case-by-case investigation. That means they either write off losses or go forward to fight for their dues through a tanglewood of intertwining policies and caveats. Some people have stated they rationalise losses incurred through this process; some people have stated they take the hard route of reporting to the Ombudsman every - single - time; some people have stated they go through the claim processes without thinking about the inconvenience and time-based cost, or simply consider the inconvenience and time-based cost minimal. I must suppose it differs from person to person.

Smee, I hope you do take all the steps - go through that process - even though it's more than tiresome. I would have been sure you have already tried phoning PayPal to express clearly and eloquently that you've provided the proof required of the Seller Protection Policy, yes?

If you've already gone through all those steps, it's obviously time to contact the Ombudsman. I feel for you in this situation. I understand that you're a savvy business guy; you know your onions, so to speak; and what you're really posting about is that there is no satisfactory fast resolution process that protects and releases your funds in the event of a problem like that.

My sense is that you're talking not about what you can do, so much as the fact that the PROCESS appears flawed and that you believe you're being put to the task of the run-around. That, in fact, if you did nothing, you would be out of pocket - that PayPal is requiring YOU to go through a process, rather than Paypal's policy protecting you automatically.

At any rate, that's what I understand from what you've posted...

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2009, 10:35:54 AM »
Of course, sellers should not be in the position of being so vulnerable to a case-unconnected bot-based decision process when there is a problem, but that's the way PayPal is.....
I think sellers who use PayPal have sometimes simply shrugged and accepted that this is how to deal with Paypal - accept that it's bot-based, accept that it won't resolve on a case-by-case investigation.............
That means they either write off losses or go forward to fight for their dues through a tanglewood of intertwining policies and caveats. Some people have stated they rationalise losses incurred through this process; some people have stated they take the hard route of reporting to the Ombudsman every - single - time; some people have stated they go through the claim processes without thinking about the inconvenience and time-based cost, or simply consider the inconvenience and time-based cost minimal. I must suppose it differs from person to person....

Countessa I find P$P as a seller completely useless and expensive. I sell over 95% of my items on ebay without any P$P involvement . I know I lose sales by making P$P unattractive in very expensive courier only charges, however I am in business to maximize my profit NOT help ebays turnover figures or P$P profits. Most people are reasonable when you explain P$P costs and problems, and offer a viable safe option. Because of ebay lies and spin some people are so brain washed by P$P they walk away as do the professional thieves using P$P as their crowbar.

I do offer post office COD after deposit (covers all ebay post time fees) and it is real cash in my hands, a win win situation.I have had people who have said I could send 4 worthless old paperbacks. Yes I could but I do point out I can do that with P$P and still have signed delivery receipt. Buyer is then in P$P lucky dip, as to who wins in not as described dispute. In both situations feedback is still there. I can as a buyer myself see the enormous amount of trust needed to send money to a stranger based no nothing. The more you use ebay the more holes you find.

I recently had a item not as described disallowed, I purchased a $1400 computer, post was "delayed" as seller "sent to manufacturer for warranty repair" . Seller has my money and now money long gone from sellers P$P account. Item finally arrived with note FROM REPAIRER, date removed that "client has faulty software, ie vile vista corrupted ". Vista is provided in new sale but as medialess, manufacturer / microsoft want $200 for 80 cent dvd to reinstall even though computer has a license sticker. P$P is not the only crook in town.

I supply P$P with workshop repair papers , and local quote to repair. Lots of time lost, P$P claim disallowed . My summation is seller no longer had funds in bank account so as no money to grab, P$P decision is based on least cost option to P$P. I could have done a credit card charge back , messy unlikely win, only $200 and if won, end of that P$P account that Credit card with P$P, and all other P$P accounts in jeopardy though IP links.

I know banking ombudsman available but more work and time and not able to use my $1400. I cheat, I load a pirate XP and problem solved. And crooks Microsoft / IBM do not end up with a bigger profit. And Microsoft wonders why they have no customer loyalty.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2009, 08:04:58 PM »
pompeipal

the safest way to lose a family member online

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2009, 12:38:44 AM »

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2009, 12:39:07 AM »

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2009, 10:26:37 AM »

And we say that we are not just a Paypal / eBay basher site... ?????

While I appreciate that the sentiments of the humour here.... some noobies or visitors may not...

:wine:
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »
Maybe so Barny...I make no apologies for my posting, I do admit I hate paypus with a passion, they are solely the only reason I don't sell on Obay anymore, they took away from me something I loved to do, I won't hide that and will clearly declare it to anyone..........Barny your opinion is noted and respected as always.... :)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2009, 01:51:16 PM »
People who like eBay and PayPal, people who are neutral about eBay and PayPal, people who don't like eBay and PayPal... we seem to have them all.

I like the eBay-that-was; I think PayPal's a good idea, but don't like some aspects of it and prefer other payment methods.

:angel: