Author Topic: Vote for MARYSVILLE - $50,000 prize for the Community!  (Read 32254 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Vote for MARYSVILLE - $50,000 prize for the Community!
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:27:21 PM »
Lenovo have been running a competition with a title of "10-Second Hero" - which has taken entries from around the world.  Those entries have been judged and there are only 18 finalists.

One of those 18 finalists will win the grand prize of $50,000 for their nominated cause.

The MARYSVILLE COOKBOOK is one of those finalists!!  As you  may remember, Marysville was one of many towns devastated in the infamous Black Saturday bushfires in 2009.  The Marysville Cookbook was one persons effort to bring the Community together - and to raise funds to support Community groups.  It is this very effort that is the subject of the successful entry to the competition - but it needs just one more push to get it over the line ... which, if successful, will give the Marysville community $50,000 to help rebuild the town.

As an Aussie, I don't think there are any of us who do not share some of the pain inflicted at the hands of bushfire - even those of us insulated in 'the big smoke' (an ironic phrase, isn't it?) who might find it difficult to do anything concrete.  Even more, as the spirit of mateship reaches out we can sometimes feel lost as to what we can do ... but right here, right now we have an opportunity where you can do something - without moving from where you are and without costing you a cent..........

The winner of the $50,000 will be chosen by voting - from anyone and everyone anywhere in the world.  Here is the link to the competition's voting page: Lenovo 10-Second Hero competition

So - that's what you can do .... VOTE !

When you get to the site, click on the Australian flag and you will be asked for an email address.  (On your first time through, you will be asked to 'register'.  This only requires a couple of other details - your name and an age 'range'.)

When you get to the entries, simply scroll across until you find the MARYSVILLE COOKBOOK entry and click on the 'View Story'.  A window will pop up and a 10 second video clip will play.  In that window, there is a button that says "Vote for this entry" (see pic below).  Just click on that and you have voted!

Voting is limited to once per day, but you can vote every day, so don't forget to come back every day whilst the voting is on!

And tell everyone you know to pass the word and to vote as well!!

Edit:
NOTE - Voting ends at 03:59:59 on 5th October, 2011 (around 2:00pm AEST) !

[attachment deleted by admin]

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: Vote for MARYSVILLE - $50,000 prize for the Community!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 11:33:24 PM »
*snipe*
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »
* Note *

The competition site requires Flash player and has some browser compatibility issues.  I have had inconsistent results using Chrome, but Internet Explorer seems OK (I have IE8).

... and I get nowhere with my iPhone - since it doesn't run Flash.

Poddy

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:38:31 PM »
Brumby, this ia a very worthwhile cause.

Marysville has been saved from extinction by the efforts of a handful of selfless, dedicated people who just would not let a community vanish.
This is your oppertunity to pay tribute to those selfless heros who have given so much to Marysville.
I am privilaged to have met one of those heros. That person is a very worthy role model for everyone.

People, please get behind a most worth cause. Show the world what a true Aussie is :)

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:43:49 PM »
Don't just vote yourself...but send the link to everyone you know and ask them to vote as well.

Get your kids to put the link on their Facebook page as well!

Marysville will thank you... ;D

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:54:48 PM »
Let me tell you a little about the author.

Her parents lived in Marysville. Her father stood as one of the mainstays of the town. The author knew that her parents would not leave the town on that deadly day of the bushfires, but that they would stay and fight - to survive, to help the town survive, to give encouragement to others.

The author tried keeping in contact regularly, but there came a moment when the news was so bad that she knew she couldn't just stay put, worrying. Filled with concern for the whole town, and taking with her all sorts of useful things (tools, generator, blankets, food... you name it, she had it), she set off on a nightmare journey.

I cannot even begin to describe it. I've heard the author give a talk about that journey - the deadly choking smoke, the roadblocks, the fallen trees, the lack of visibility, the increasingly acrid air, the darkness, the very real danger - but she made it through obstacles and police blocks and hell and high water. When she arrived, the townspeople still there and alive could hardly believe it... and what she brought with her was essential. The place was in chaos, and water was a terrible problem, as was the lack of power.

The author survived a journey that would have stopped most of us in our tracks, fighting through to bring hope to a devastated community. Once things settled down and losses were counted, the author heard people weeping for so many losses... It's not only the loss of life, but the loss of things which represent the past, such as a treasured family recipe. So our author set out on another journey - this one a metaphorical one. The cookbook is the result of that journey into the memories and "comfort food" and things treasured for the Marysville community which lost so much. And the author did this with complete selflessness. She devoted her time to collecting those beloved recipes and gaining interest and organising it all and seeing to its printing.

One third of the money from the sale of each cookbook goes to rebuilding Marysville.

The author entered this competition for one reason - and one reason only: to raise more money for Marysville. The $50,000 prize will go to Marysville if the Marysville Cookbook entry in the Lenovo competition wins first prize.

I urge everyone to give a moment of their time to vote for the Marysville Cookbook.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 11:56:43 PM »
I can't wait to see the Story on DVD!!!

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 12:21:21 AM »
I can't wait to see the Story on DVD!!!

Who knows Tello?!

If Wokie wins this one for Marysville...Merryl Streep may play the leading lady!..lol

*nods head wisely...

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 12:25:41 AM »
Wasn't there a thread where Wokie told the story?

Might be an idea to find it so everyone can read her own words about ..... off to scroll a few hundred pages to find it...I'll be back..lol

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 12:51:15 AM »

...Merryl Streep may play the leading lady!..lol

Naa. Not her.

Why not Angelina Jolie, or Jamie Lee Curtis?

Not Nichole Kidman for sure...

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 01:39:12 AM »

...Merryl Streep may play the leading lady!..lol

Naa. Not her.

Why not Angelina Jolie, or Jamie Lee Curtis?

Not Nichole Kidman for sure...

Naaahhh..Merryl has already played an Aussie....that one with the dingo....so she'd be up for it, I think.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 02:38:27 AM »
Kidman IS an Aussie.
I heard you guys hate her.
True?

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 02:43:37 AM »
Don't know 'hate' is the right word.  There might be a few who feel that - but, in general, feelings are mixed, depending on what particular aspect of her you are considering.  I would have said they were leaning a little more towards the 'like' side, overall.

On this thread, though, I'll go for whoever can bring the best result for Marysville.

Poddy

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 02:58:21 AM »
Nicole is fine by me :)
I have met he when she was a kid, nice kid.

square*peg

• No longer a registered account
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 08:29:36 AM »
I'm writing this for monman to read in reponse to this post:

monman12 (1347)
View Listings

Ignore  (28 of 57) 23/09/2011 00:10 Report 
"The cook book author is trying to raise money for a town that has suffered, she is a hero in my eyes. "

Nothing against the intent, but as an ex serviceman I am fed up with "civilians" using the term "hero" for actions that would not be considered heroic.

Monman, you really need to read this lady's blog. In there you will read about far more than a cookbook - you will read about the extremes that she went to in assisting perfect strangers during the fires and in the aftermath that resulted. She selflessly risked her own life on many occasions and did far more than the average "citizen" would ever contemplate.

You may be an x serviceman  - but this "civillian" risked her life, endured a horrific situation, with no training and no pay. You may be an x serviceman, but this lady is still "serving" those she helped to save and trying to assist them in rebuilding their community,

To me, she's a bigger hero than you will ever be.

Some people can go their whole lives without ever living for a single minute.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
**waves** I shall introduce myself :-)

*takes a bow*

Oh goody - So now a company that choose the word hero, that somehow makes me a bad person, perhaps they ned to take it up with the compay?

I'm no hero, I'm no saviour - I'm just me.

Roo - I shall put you out of your misery :D

http://itaintalwaysso.blogspot.com/search/label/Summary%20of%20My%20Story

and now I bow out - thank-you everyone :D

Reched another milestone on the 21st September! YEAH

"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 01:48:38 PM »
It's nearly time to vote again... I think the day resests at 2 pm.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »
Voted.

Voted.

Voted.

Voted.

And voted again!  ;D

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
Voted again.

Remember to vote EVERY DAY for this deserving cause. Marysville has suffered so much devastation and help was horrendously slow in getting to Marysville. Even now I hear about much of the donated money STILL not having been given to the communities for whom the money was intended... If the Marysville Cookbook entry wins, we know that this time the money - $50,000 - will go TO THE COMMUNITY for rebuilding Marysville.

So please vote generously.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 06:11:31 PM »
Just sent an email to WSFM in Sydney to suggest they give a plug.  Checked with Wokkie - who's OK with it.

So, as a suggestion to others to see if we can tap into a wider audience - get onto your local radio station and ask for their support!

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »
Just sent an email to WSFM in Sydney to suggest they give a plug.  Checked with Wokkie - who's OK with it.

So, as a suggestion to others to see if we can tap into a wider audience - get onto your local radio station and ask for their support!

Brum6y is was lovely talking to you today - thank-you..............

I can never repay your help

XXOO

:kisshug: :grouphug:

Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 06:48:08 PM »
Just autograph the copy of the cookbook I bought - if we ever get to meet (and I remember to bring the book :D )

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 07:30:04 PM »
Just autograph the copy of the cookbook I bought - if we ever get to meet (and I remember to bring the book :D )

Anytime - we just have to meet ;)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »
It's voting time again.

Vote for the Marysville Cookbook entry, and give Marysville a substantial boost in its rebuilding funds with $50,000 as the prize!

Poddy

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 08:13:20 PM »

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 11:03:15 PM »
Uncle Dan
    needs
   YOU
      to
 Vote!

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »
Uncle Dan
    needs
   YOU
      to
 Vote!

Aunty Jooolia
    needs
   YOU
      to
 Vote!

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
I've just voted for the Marysville Cookbook - a great fundraiser and a handy cookbook in the kitchen.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 11:40:25 PM »
Voted again.

:vote:

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 02:59:39 PM »
Somebody I spoke to about the Marysville Cookbook and the Lenovo competition (and has been voting daily) has gone down to Melbourne on family business, but has apparently been spreading the word.  So you can expect more votes and possibly some more book sales ... because there were some that hadn't heard about it.  I think one was in the CFA.

Voted again.  :)

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »
Thank-you Brum6y!

Sales are the benefit of all this advertising - only 6 more books until Marysville gets a further $200 - currently at $4700, soon to be $4900 (within the week I imagine! :D

Thank-you EVERYONE

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »
Voted.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 07:42:54 PM »
I've just voted for the Marysville Cookbook - a great fundraiser and a handy cookbook in the kitchen.

Wheels, I just loved your last couple of posts on the CS thread!!

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 08:46:41 PM »
Don't forget to vote :D

and...... another benchmark reached $4700  has been raised - you know who you are ;)

white_rose

• Blue Door Hottie
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 09:52:42 PM »
I bought a book cos of brumby and podsters posts on ebay. Would not have known about it otherwise. Very good cause

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »
I bought a book cos of brumby and podsters posts on ebay. Would not have known about it otherwise. Very good cause

And thanks to people like you white_rose, Marysville is smiling and the children are playing..........

Thank-you :D

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »
Voted again.

This is a wonderful cause. It is the community of Marysville that will be the true winner if the Marysville Cookbook entry wins.

I just want to remind everyone that the $50,000 prize goes to the charity of choice by the submitter of the winning entry. VOTE FOR MARYSVILLE.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2011, 07:32:52 PM »
I hope Marysville
duzzint have dogs
with crooked tails.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2011, 07:33:34 PM »
not sure there are many dogs left... even now

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2011, 11:46:09 AM »
Don't forget to Vote TODAY :-)

Only another 6 days left to vote, if you vote NOW. you can vote again in about 4 hours!

Pretty please?

Vote for Marysville!

$50,000 to win!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2011, 02:02:35 PM »
Pretty sure the clock ticks over at 2:00pm - I voted last night ... and then again just now!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2011, 02:05:04 PM »
But WATCH OUT FOR DAYLIGHT SAVINGS coming in this weekend....!!!!

That 2:00pm switch will become 1:00pm...

... and voting will END at 1:00 pm AEDST Wednesday 5th October

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2011, 10:05:59 PM »

Don't forget to vote today!

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2011, 11:23:54 PM »
But WATCH OUT FOR DAYLIGHT SAVINGS coming in this weekend....!!!!

That 2:00pm switch will become 1:00pm...

... and voting will END at 1:00 pm AEDST Wednesday 5th October

Thank-you

Article has gone out in local paper..... Mum told me today that many people have been religiously voting - so she is proudly informed EVERY TIME she steps out the front door.

So fingers crossed :D

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2011, 12:08:02 AM »
Actually, I think I got that wrong about Daylight Saving....

No matter, it will get them voting well before the end, then.  (Better than getting it wrong the other way)

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2011, 08:21:23 PM »

Brumbs - Just to let you know.... no-one has contacted me :)

Also DON'T Forget to vote :D

Rules of the competition:-
The Finalists will be selected from among all eligible Submissions based on the following criteria ("Judging Criteria"):
? 33% Creativity/Originality;
? 33% Quality of Submission; and
? 34% Appropriateness to Theme.

the Finalist whose Submission receives the highest number of valid votes during the Voting Phase will be
deemed the potential Grand Prize winner.

You can view the rules here:- http://lenovo.promo.eprize.com/hero/public/en/fulfillment/rules.pdf

Note 6a and what is stated there

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »
Voted again.

I hope for the town of Marysville's sake that this entry wins the prize for them.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 12:16:08 AM »
I'm not surprised Wokkie - I got nowhere, but it was worth a try.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »
An article in the Northern Weekly, a Fairfax Media Publication

http://www.northernweekly.com.au/news/local/news/general/a-treasured-cookbook-helps-marysville-heal/2311097.aspx#

I beleive the same article is to go in the same paper, but on the east side of melbourne. Hopefully google crawlers pick up the article for me.

Not long now for voting - only 2-3 more days ( I can't figure out the timezone thingy!)