Author Topic: Online Fraud - Don't be fooled  (Read 12204 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Online Fraud - Don't be fooled
« on: March 01, 2010, 04:15:17 PM »
The following is from an Australian Taxation Office email:

Consumer Fraud Awareness week runs from 1-7 March and is a timely reminder to protect yourself online and be on the look out for scams.

You can boost your level of protection online by following our simple six-step checklist:

1. Ensure your computer has up-to-date anti-virus and security software.

2. Enable automatic updates for your operating system and applications including your web browsers to ensure they remain current.

3. Use spam filtering software to help block fake emails or emails containing viruses.
If you receive a spam email, delete it and don't open email attachments from unknown sources.

4. When using social networking sites such as Facebook, be careful about the personal information you publish, and customise your security settings to ensure your profile is only accessible to those you trust.

5. Do not provide your tax file number online unless you are certain about the authenticity of the website.

6. Remember, we will never send you an email requesting you to confirm, update or disclose your personal details. If you receive an email like that, please do not respond to it.

For more information on how to report and protect yourself from scams and to see examples of genuine ATO communications, visit www.ato.gov.au/onlinesecurity

Elantra

• Knight of the RT
Re: Online Fraud - Don't be fooled
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:50:55 PM »
Is this a scam??  OOHH please tell me it's not.
I received this email today.

Dearest One, Assalam Allekum, My name is Abul Kalam Azad. I am a dying man who have decided to Donate the sum of $18million dollars. to you for the good work of the Humanity. Please contact me via. Email: aazad@yahoo.cn for detailed information on this noble project of mine. Please note that I have WILLED $18m to you by quoting my personal reference number De/Jds/533/0068/HtrI/33ln/eg. So that i can confirm that you actually received my email notice to you. Wassalam and Regards, Abul Kalam Azad, aazad@yahoo.cn

Even though I can't recall meeting poor sick Abul.
It might be true,,,,,,,maybe?????

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »
Elantra ...........ok........... it's not a scam ==============> go for it !

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »
Nigerians are crafty.
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:03:47 PM »
Elantra, you are a clever cookie - you know the truth; it's Abdul the honest. He's going to make you sickeningly rich.

:hunchback:

I actually know someone who fell for one of these scams (a Spanish version of it). It was a kind of naïve greed that blinded him to common sense. He just didn't think, "Come on - how likely is this?"

(Isn't that a cute little emoticon for "Tut tut tut"?)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »
Abdul the honest ! he lives in Elko !  Tello ran him outta Montello with all guns blazing !

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 08:01:56 PM »
I might be a little sceptical - especially when I see a name like that, with an email address on Yahoo! in China.

but, the world is a great big melting pot these days, so I could be making an errant observation.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 08:45:33 PM »

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »

How could you not trust a guy by the name of Abul Kalam Azad ?

Elantra

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:03:35 PM »
Assalam Allekum As-Salamu Alaykum - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As-Salamu_Alaykum

Abul Kalam Azad - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abul_Kalam_Azad

Oh dear, he is dead already, I missed my chance,, but wait,,, the email said it is willed to me.
I am still up for it, HOORAY, I have opened a YAHOO account expressing my sorrow, at his death, stating it has taken them a long time to track me down, but now they have found me,,, SHOW ME THE MONEY!!

signed. Richard Cranium.

Elantra

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 11:06:46 PM »
Man, they are quick, received this today.
With photos to prove just how sick he is.
Well now I believe its no scam.
Poor man,,(well, after he gives me 18 million he will be.) ;D

Dear Richard
Assalamu alleikum.
Thanks for your mail and your concern. In my last mail to you i introduced myself and gave you a summary of the present situation i have found myself and how i lived my life. My failing health has necessitated my present over view of life and the meaning of life itself as it relates to day-to-day living.
It is for this same reason i wrote you in my quest to find somebody who has the predisposition to accomplish the task of passing on this fund privately to help the less fortunate as you deem fit, since i cannot do this myself. However, you have to understand that this is a probing move to establish contact, because i am sure you know as well as i do that most people would snatch at the offer considering the large amount involved. For this reason i felt that after our initial communication i should be able to determine if we can proceed based on certain indices as well as intuitive feeling i would deduce.

I hope my first message did not embarrass you? if it did,i apologise for this. The money in questions is privately kept; such funds that i left to my relatives to disburse were all plundered and used for their personal purposes. For this reason i have decided that within the confines of my hospital room and the privacy of my computer, to look for a suitable person to fulfill this last wish of mine and then retain 10% for your effort. The fund is physical cash in $100 bills packed inside two metallic boxes deposited in the vault of a private finance/security company in the Netherlands. This is what i have left, unknown to my relatives. If i do not find a suitable person to secure the funds as i plan to, at my demise, the company would have to notify my next of kin to come forward for the deposit as stipulated on the deposit agreement. From what i have seen of how they spent the other funds i designated for the same purpose,leaving the fund in their care would be a collosal waste of all i have worked and lived for.

If you would be able to help me fulfill this last living request, i would need you to get back to me on the following issues,

1.That you are in a position to be trusted with such large amount, and that you have a heart for charity and thus would not have any problems locating the right human aid groups. It would be nice to know which ones you have in mind.

2.That you are ready to work honestly with me to finalise the process for this project, as i send you all pertinent documentation authorizing you to retrieve the deposit on my behalf.

3.That you are willing to contact the company to discuss the terms of releasing the 2 boxes and also bear the expenses that would be involved to have them released and delivered to you.

4.That you fully understand this project up to this stage and are ready to proceed under these terms.

I would also like you to tell me more about yourself and what you do presently.

Wasalam.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 11:09:39 PM »
Wait a minute.

That's not Honest Abdul in those photos.

That's my long-lost chess opponent who owes me five hundred Belgian chocolates in arrears after losing 8 consecutive chess games to me.

It must be a mistake, though. Honest Abdul wouldn't try to palm someone else's photos off on you.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 11:14:13 PM »
Man, they are quick, received this today.
With photos to prove just how sick he is.
Well now I believe its no scam.
Poor man,,(well, after he gives me 18 million he will be.) ;D

Dear Richard
Assalamu alleikum.
Thanks for your mail and your concern. In my last mail to you i introduced myself and gave you a summary of the present situation i have found myself and how i lived my life. My failing health has necessitated my present over view of life and the meaning of life itself as it relates to day-to-day living.
It is for this same reason i wrote you in my quest to find somebody who has the predisposition to accomplish the task of passing on this fund privately to help the less fortunate as you deem fit, since i cannot do this myself. However, you have to understand that this is a probing move to establish contact, because i am sure you know as well as i do that most people would snatch at the offer considering the large amount involved. For this reason i felt that after our initial communication i should be able to determine if we can proceed based on certain indices as well as intuitive feeling i would deduce.

I hope my first message did not embarrass you? if it did,i apologise for this. The money in questions is privately kept; such funds that i left to my relatives to disburse were all plundered and used for their personal purposes. For this reason i have decided that within the confines of my hospital room and the privacy of my computer, to look for a suitable person to fulfill this last wish of mine and then retain 10% for your effort. The fund is physical cash in $100 bills packed inside two metallic boxes deposited in the vault of a private finance/security company in the Netherlands. This is what i have left, unknown to my relatives. If i do not find a suitable person to secure the funds as i plan to, at my demise, the company would have to notify my next of kin to come forward for the deposit as stipulated on the deposit agreement. From what i have seen of how they spent the other funds i designated for the same purpose,leaving the fund in their care would be a collosal waste of all i have worked and lived for.

If you would be able to help me fulfill this last living request, i would need you to get back to me on the following issues,

1.That you are in a position to be trusted with such large amount, and that you have a heart for charity and thus would not have any problems locating the right human aid groups. It would be nice to know which ones you have in mind.

2.That you are ready to work honestly with me to finalise the process for this project, as i send you all pertinent documentation authorizing you to retrieve the deposit on my behalf.

3.That you are willing to contact the company to discuss the terms of releasing the 2 boxes and also bear the expenses that would be involved to have them released and delivered to you.

4.That you fully understand this project up to this stage and are ready to proceed under these terms.

I would also like you to tell me more about yourself and what you do presently.

Wasalam.

"" I would also like you to tell me more about yourself and what you do presently. ""

Ok Tell him your the managing Director of the International Fraud squad and he has touched your heart, and you would like to meet him in person to finalize his last wishes....

Elantra

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »
Good idea yibba I will include your words.

Elantra

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 11:23:31 PM »
Wait a minute.

That's not Honest Abdul in those photos.

That's my long-lost chess opponent who owes me five hundred Belgian chocolates in arrears after losing 8 consecutive chess games to me.

It must be a mistake, though. Honest Abdul wouldn't try to palm someone else's photos off on you.

Man you can kiss those chocolates goodbye he is too sick to go buy them for you.
But here's what I'll do for you.
When I get the 18 mill I will buy you a box.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 01:29:42 PM »
Countess do you make up moves when you play chess like you did with words when we played scrabble ?
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :angel:

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 12:39:17 PM »
Hey Elantra.  Have you heard back from your friend honest Abdul?
:duckling: