Author Topic: PayPal X  (Read 21388 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
PayPal X
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:38:57 AM »
https://www.thepaypalblog.com/page/3/

Damon Hougland, senior director of the PayPal Platform here. Many of you have asked why we chose the name PayPal X for our new open global payments platform (announced on July 23rd) so I thought I’d give you a bit of background.

We knew we wanted the platform name to stand for developer innovation and collaboration. For most developers, ‘X’ is the universally recognizable symbol of a programming variable. With PayPal’s new platform, developer innovation really is the variable. Instead of PayPal standing on our own, with PayPal X we now see it as the “monetization” function to apply against developers’ innovative ideas.

We’re asking developers to build their innovation, creativity and applications utilizing PayPal’s platform. Our developers are the “X” in the equation, while we provide the payments underpinnings to help them move successfully from “idea” to “money”.

PayPal also has a lot of history with X.com. X.com was founded by Elon Musk in 1999 as one of the first Internet banks. It merged with Confinity in 2000 to become PayPal. x.com stood for innovation in payments in its time and the business that x.com helped create now transacts around $2,000 USD per second and represents almost 9 percent of global e-commerce.

As we embark on the next stage of PayPal’s development, we thought it fitting to honor our origins. Plus, you have to admit, x.com it is just an incredibly cool domain (it’s also one of a handful of single-letter domains in existence).

We’ve seen considerable interest in PayPal X since our preview event in July and I hope to see you all at our first developer conference, PayPal X Innovate 2009, on November 3-4 at the San Francisco Design Center to see the innovation that our developer community is infusing “X” with first-hand.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: PayPal X
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:41:29 AM »
https://www.paypal-communications.com/innovate2009/

PayPal’s Open Platform Unveiled at First Developer Conference

What is PayPal X Innovate 2009 – What’s In It For Me?

PayPal X Innovate 2009 is PayPal’s first dedicated developer conference, November 3 & 4, 2009. For two days, you’ll have the absolute inside track on how to capitalize on all of PayPal’s products. You'll be in the mix with hundreds of other passionate developers - front and center as the possibilities of innovation are explored in over 35 interactive, technical sessions and Code & Build Labs. You’ll see how some of the most innovative developers in the world are building business on the PayPal platform.

Don't be left out. This is the PayPal developer event you won't want to miss.

Register Now!

Top Three Reasons to Attend

1. Gain competitive advantage with exclusive access to new PayPal APIs that aren’t available anywhere else until 2010.

2. Learn how to monetize your great idea or application with information provided in 35+ interactive technical and business sessions.

3. Work directly with 200+ PayPal engineers and technologists to answer questions and support your success.

Who Will I Sit Next To?

If you’d like to make a difference in 2010 and beyond, then join us at PayPal X Innovate 2009. Together we can change the future of payments. If you’re interested in what PayPal has to offer and how it can make money for you, then don’t miss this conference.

Some of our attendees will be:

* Developers: Independent and enterprise
    * Entrepreneurs
    * CTOs
    * Venture Capitalists
    * Disruptive innovators
    * Financial institutions
    * Creators of social and mobile apps
    * PayPal merchants and channel partners
    * eBay merchants and developers
    * Certified PayPal developers
    * Technology partners
    * API engineers
    * Web technologists
    * Technology consultants
    * Non-profit developers

$49 of Your Registration Goes to Charity

Register and it helps someone else, too!  PayPal will donate $49 from every ticket sold to support technology at local schools in East Side Union High School District in San Jose. The school district is struggling this year as a result of state budget cuts. Your donation is tax deductible and will provide students with access to technology tools that will help them learn valuable computer skills to succeed later in life. More...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:46:02 AM »
For most developers, ‘X’ is the universally recognizable symbol of a programming variable

'X' is also the universally recognisable symbol for when you've got something wrong

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:56:47 AM »
Arrrrrrgggghhhhh me Hearties...... X is also where the treasure is to be found on the map! I can feel a keelhauling coming on!

Can also be for Xtractum Digit! Maybe Paypal should try that!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:01:09 AM »
It seems a bizarre time to be touting PayPal as a developer's tool, when the increased risks, short-term and long-term costs of accepting PayPal payments seem in my view to pose a large deterrent to using PayPal.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 09:06:15 AM »
Keelhauling, Did someone mention a keelhauling? I have rope & I'm ready.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 09:53:14 AM »
Ubbrd..... You're going to need a truckload of rope!

The things we do for attention........ an exercise in positive spin perhaps?

*cupie*

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 10:50:10 AM »
Does that mean that Paypal upper mgt will now be called 'X-Men'?

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »
Good question Cupie....... but I thought they already were???

*cupie*

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 10:55:17 AM »
Uncanny X-Men...even.....

some_other_bozo

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 11:38:59 AM »
Does that mean that Paypal upper mgt will now be called 'X-Men'?

Ive got a few choice names for paypal upper management...

....and x-men aint one of em

BOZO

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 11:55:19 AM »
Uncanny X-Men...even.....

e x cre men t

Yer right Cupie ...sort of.

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 05:43:36 PM »
D'ya think any Aussie sellers will be able to afford to fly out to San Jose for this conference?..lol

And I think they left a few letters off the new name...like...X@##$%&*&%$$%^&^$$#!! :evil: