Author Topic: Looking for a recliner  (Read 12655 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Looking for a recliner
« on: September 05, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »
I would prefer to buy from a Melbourne store so that I could sit in the recliner and make sure it's comfortable.

It's got to be comfortable and it must give good back support. It must also be reasonably small (my computer room / music room / study is very very full of things). I want to use this while watching television/DVDs, while learning music, while listening to music, while reading.

I don't want to spend a fortune on it. I'm still recovering somewhat from an act of necessity in March/April which left my funds depleted, so nothing over $1000 as a given.

Any recommended sellers/shops/brands?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

cueperkins

Re: Looking for a recliner
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 05:08:39 PM »
Check out these two for starters

Relax House is in Melbourne....and has a few variations on the theme..some Modern, some plush etc.

http://www.relaxhouse.com.au/subcategory_product/living-lounge-chairs23.php

This one has a huge range, and Melbourne shops you can visit and try out....

http://www.rothnewton.com.au/JasonLa-Z-Boy.htm

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 10:06:20 PM »
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 10:12:32 PM »

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 10:30:22 PM »
I knooooow, yib.  Castles cats are forced to carry their house around with them. All because of a small disagreement with an evil Queen...:She objected to being scratched  :'( :'( :'(
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 01:45:57 AM »
Thanks for that those links, all.

I have been checking them.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 01:50:39 AM »
I hope you find the size you are looking for countessa.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 01:52:43 AM »
Small is good, and supportive of my back is good.

Geelong is just a little too far away, darn it. But the value on that site which you listed does seem very good.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 02:13:30 AM »
countessa, I just googled the full name of the recliner mentioned( Jason etc.) and there could be outlets for that brand which may suit you. I have no idea of which brands are better, unfortunately.

It is so difficult to know how well made/comfortable they are just by looking at the pictures.  :(

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 02:47:23 AM »
I knooooow, yib.  Castles cats are forced to carry their house around with them. All because of a small disagreement with an evil Queen...:She objected to being scratched  :'( :'( :'(

Poor Centuries.  Please don't cry.  That evil Queen.....  Fancy objecting to being scratched.  Your house is very becoming.

:console: :kisshug:
:duckling:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 02:59:43 AM »
Thank you! Thank you ,fluffy! You have boosted my confidence.I will scratch with renewed visciousness  energy :roflmao: :saint:

I must take my catnap now, and practice my 'Holding With Claws'   technique.  ;D

cueperkins

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »
If you're looking for one to assist in back support, then you need to ask  retailers, if the seat has lumbar, thoracic and cervical spine support, and is therefore 'ERGONOMIC'.....

I googled Ergonomic recliner rockers...I think Jason does the most in this type of chair, so you might start by calling them and asking whether they make a specific recliner that is designed ergonomically.  Matt Blatt also claims to have ergonomic design chairs, but I couldn't see anything like a recliner in that category. 

Otherwise, when searching, include spinal support in the search criteria.  Then go and try them out....it's the only way to choose a chair for comfort.  There are several outlets for the Jason recliners and as I said, they've been in the business longer than anyone else, so they should know their marketplace.  They may even be able to tell you if there is a therapeutic, or eronomically designed recliner....i.e. even with a massage setting..now that's my idea of comfort...lol

Another thing you could try is to ring the Occupational Therapy associations in Melbourne and ask if they have anything they might recommend as OT's...its a profession that deals specifically with ergonomic aids and therapeutic Daily Living devices so if there is such a chair, they would be the most likely to know about it.  You could also ring up Medical, Therapeutic suppliers because they put out massive catalogues (which OT's often use) listing all manner of ergonomic aids including gel cushions, neck rests.....everything.  The emphasis being ergonomic and therapeutic yes..not just comfy and stylish?

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 08:56:13 PM »

I like the recliners that also raise themselves and lift you to your feet...Ive seen them at the senior citizens homes...[ note I didn't say old ] .....I'm going to get one some day....

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »
Sweet!

Can we trash this thread now, too?

Management has provided us with our very own "retirement" zone.
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »
Sweet!

Can we trash this thread now, too?

Management has provided us with our very own "retirement" zone.

Only after countess says she's found her chair...then I'm making my move !....

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 09:01:02 PM »
email me in advance.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 09:04:22 PM »
free call 1800smeeagain .... ask for the chairman

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 09:24:39 PM »
Countessa, I just had a look on eBay.

Check out these, RRP $ 12900.00+ !!! (that's about what I paid for my last car!)
item # 250492090053

Has body scanning and body shape sensor (sonsor), and air bags!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 09:30:10 PM »
*gulp*

No... I'm somehow not willing to spend THAT much!

I am looking at some of the Jason recliners.

cueperkins

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 10:22:12 AM »
Has body scanning and body shape sensor (sonsor), and air bags!

Air Bags.....!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cueperkins

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 10:29:50 AM »
Countess, I've just been taking a better look at that Roth Newtown recliner warehouse site, and they have a huge range, not just Jason....but other brand names. It might be worth visiting one of their warehouses and trying out a number of chairs.....  they have stores at:

BLACKBURN
Undercover Parking

184 Whitehorse Road,
Blackburn
VIC 3130
Tel: (03) 9878 7444
Fax: (03) 9878 7844
blackburn@rothnewton.com.au

DANDENONG
Homemaker Centre

88 Frankston Dandenong Road, Dandenong
VIC 3175
Tel: (03) 9792 2588
Fax: (03) 9792 2688
dandenong@rothnewton.com.au

HOPPERS CROSSING
Homemaker Centre

428 Old Geelong Road, Hoppers Crossing
VIC 3029
Tel: (03) 9369 9982
Fax: (03) 9369 9984
hopperscrossing@rothnewton.com.au

THOMASTOWN
Homemaker Centre

Cnr Dalton & Settlement Roads, Thomastown
VIC 3074
Tel: (03) 9465 0611
Fax: (03) 9465 0311
thomastown@rothnewton.com.au

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 06:13:57 PM »
It may be Roth Newton from whom I buy... but the sort of recliner that fits my requirements is around $800 at their stores. I checked. Ouch.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 12:06:06 PM »
Right! We have a result!

I bought a La-Z-Boy recliner, perfect size, gorgeous-looking in a rich lovely claret, extremely comfortable with good support, lifetime guarantee, under a thousand dollars.

To achieve this result, I sat in many, many chairs. (Oh, the hard work of sitting!) I suppose you could say I bot-tested a hundred chairs, really... but strictly speaking it was my back which did the main testing.

Thanks to everyone here for the advice and links. It helped me to narrow down and locate the perfect recliner.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 01:12:35 PM »
Great!

Now we can trash this thread!

Yib?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »