Author Topic: When our kids ask a question we can't answer......  (Read 13522 times)

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
When our kids ask a question we can't answer......
« on: August 20, 2009, 07:07:30 PM »
This happened tonight...a simple sounding question that had me scratching my head...and actually had me stumped!

The question?

"If the prefix 'bio' refers to life...and the base word 'logical' means appropriate, how does the word 'biological' use the two in a clause, eg. biological father....make sense?
Life appropriate father?

Feel free to ask your own children too....while I'm off to get another cask of wine...I think I'll need it tonight...lol

P.S....Don't you hate it when your kids get to the stage where a simple 'Ask your teacher' mumble just doesn't cut it...lol

cueperkins

Re: When our kids ask a question we can't answer......
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:22:54 PM »
Hi Roo...I'd define logic as 'Validity' rather than 'appropriate'.  And Bio is a prefix = life.  

Therefore he is the Life Valid father.....make sense?

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 07:31:18 PM »
Ahhhh....I just ran that past Lil Roo...and she says your words have merit...but....she still has a little problem with 'Valid' meaning the same as 'Logical'..lol

Kids do ya head in...lol

Back in ten...bottle shop closes at 8 tonight...lol

cueperkins

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:02:25 PM »
Definitions of logical on the Web:

* capable of or reflecting the capability for correct and valid reasoning; "a logical mind"
    * legitimate: based on known statements or events or conditions
    * coherent: marked by an orderly, logical, and aesthetically consistent relation of parts; "a coherent argument"

Out of the above, both valid and legitimate stand out as the most 'logical'....lol...so young roo, might have to figure out which definition is most fitting..

Validity for instance is defined as: The state of being valid, authentic or genuine; well grounded in logic or truth or having legal force

Being one's valid or legitimate father implies that this is a measureable assertion by means of DNA for instance...a valid and therefore logical means of determining paternity......

I have to tell you, this is doing my head in...lmao....no wonder you headed down the bottle shop....make mine a double OK?

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 08:41:58 PM »
Here ya go Cupie.... :wine: :wine:..a double..lol

You did well...she has walked away quite content with the DNA explanation.

All is well in the Roo household tonight.....until the next question...lol

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 08:48:12 PM »
BTW...Thank ya lucky stars I didn't ask for advice on her last BIG question.

It went something along the lines of....'I know where babies come out of...but how do they get there in the first place?'

:rofl: :rofl:

cueperkins

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »
Well well, have fun with that one Roo....lol....thanks for that double I needed it...by the way, it's quite a deep concept when you start getting into it....I'm sure Countess will come along soon and give us the Latin Origin of Bio meets Logical....lol...and then you can go from there...it all starts with Biology little roo......

Don't they have educational DVD's you can get from the library for free that would deal with this subject according to age group?  Reproduction that is....lmao  Worth a shot....then you can sit in the background with a glass of wine and say nothing...lol.....Remember when they made us watch science films at school including reproduction etc?.....I'd do that....how old is little roo?

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 09:07:34 PM »
Lol...that last Big question was a couple of years ago...and I think I flew through with flying colours on that occassion. Always best to just tell the truth when talks about Bird and Bees come up I think.

The rest she probably learnt on the internet!..lol

They never had videos in my days Cupie...they weren't invented then..lol

I did go to school with a girl whos father was a Doctor though...so all the kids at school would ask her the questions...and she would find out the facts and relay them to us next day.

cueperkins

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 09:25:52 PM »
Of course, I meant the Reel to Reel films or were they called Super 8? can't remember.....lol.....

I had to train myself out of saying record store, or record player...lol  Now I tend to call DVD's CD's...and don't even mention MP3's...I'm lost with the mobile phone and can lay claim to never having sent an instant message to anyone, ever.  I type 100wpm and I just cannot for the life of me...type on such a small keyboard, pressing each key up to three times just to get one letter.. and with your thumbs no less?......lol.....it's like typing in slow motion on the road to RSI of the thumbs...so frustrating I feel like throwing the phone over the balcony.......LMAO.....can't do it....lol...OK, so I'm a neo luddite at heart.....

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 09:43:33 PM »
That brings back memories Cupie...I remember my sister's Godfather had a big white screen and a movie projector that he used to bring around.

We would all sit around it in amazement and thought it was very high tek.

I also had an Uncle that was one of those guys that just had to have the latest in hi fi equipment.

His very expensive unit was a tape deck and he used to twiddle with the knobs...lol

But we are from an Era that wondered at the fact that a man could walk on the moon......*sigh

I think us 'oldies' are just along for the ride these days...and if you can at least try to keep up...you are doing well.

I do know how to text message though..lol

cueperkins

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 09:55:05 PM »
I do know how to text message though..lol

OK, so I take the neo luddite numpty award right?...lmao.....I've just gotten to a stage where there are way too many ways to be contacted....remember the days when we went out after school and came home when the street lights came on?...one day soon we'll all have a microchip implanted so anyone can track us and contact us at any time of the night or day.....arrrgghhhh.....then I'll go hippy...lol

In fact this generation is so switched on, wired up, and over stimulated, it's a wonder they can concentrate on anything at all.....and it does have an effect on physical and psychological health.  You just have to look at cyber bullying to see the pscyh impact of online 'social networking'.

As for modern modes of music delivery.......Recent research is predicting that whereas work noise was the biggest cause of industrial deafness in the 20th century, MP3 players will be the primary causative factor for deafness in Gen 'Y'.....it's a concept.   

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 10:12:41 PM »
I must admit...this instant contact thing is something I don't like much.

Most days I turn my mobile off....and just switch it on every few days to see if I have messages.

I do like emails though....it seems to be the closest thing to the old fashioned method of letter writing.

I had a few penfriends in my early years of High School from Italy, USA and a few other places.

It would take forever for our letters to be written, posted and received.  You really only managed to write every few months and had plenty of time to think of what you needed to say.

I have found that my talents in letter writing are quite needed now in the work I do. A lot of the younger ones don't have the basics of good letter writing instilled in them and can almost sound quite rude with their abruptness.

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 10:18:59 PM »
Not sure about the hearing problems though....I'm sure my ears were well and truly blasted in my early years of standing in front of huge speakers on the dance floor at gigs...lol

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Biology - its etymology comes from two Greek words as you said, Roo: ???? (bios), which means life, and ????? (logos), which has lots of meanings, including

• Anything written or spoken
  • Reason (for doing something) or argument
  • Measure, proportion, ratio
  • General principle or rule
  • (faculty of) Reason

And that's not even mentioning the special meaning which ????‚ has in Christian or Stoic writings, where it is a Word that is a manifestation of God.

In this context (with 'bios'), it's best understood as meaning 'study of', or perhaps even better, 'account of'. Heraclitus used ????? in this sense (in my opinion).

The term BIOLOGY first appeared in 1766 and was probably coined by Michael Christoph Hanov (used in the title of Volume 3 of Philosophiae naturalis sive physicae dogmaticae: Geologia, biologia, phytologia generalis et dendrologia). But he didn't seem to have used the word in the same sense as it's used today; for that, you need to turn to Gottfried Reinhold Treviranus and Jean-Baptiste Lamarck, if you have nothing else you'd prefer to do...

SHORT ANSWER - bios (life) + logos (word, account, study, discourse) = study of life.

LONG ANSWER - coming in a five-part miniseries.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 12:17:36 AM »
Agh, sorry - I can't get the Greek characters to paste here properly...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

cueperkins

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 09:56:10 AM »
Ok, so it wasn't Latin....but close....lol...OK roo, I dare you to try to translate all that to little roo and come out laughing?......lol

Not sure about the hearing problems though....I'm sure my ears were well and truly blasted in my early years of standing in front of huge speakers on the dance floor at gigs...lol

Ah yes, I remember it well...I think we called it head banging next to a stack of Marshall Amps...lol.     In fact, I grew up listening to ACDC because they were locals where I lived, and when they went overseas I was really annoyed......I figured that I'd definitely see them again when they came back to Oz, and then Bonn Scott died....I was devastated......but I still bought Tickets to ACDC Back in Black, and it was not only the last concert ever held at the Sydney Showground, but was the absolute LOUDEST in the history of concerts at that venue....you could feel your chest reverberating from the volume of the amps.....mega.....I didn't like the new lead singer as much, but it was still a hoot....they were the days eh?  Everyone went to concerts and made it out alive....???

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 11:08:01 AM »
Speaking of concerts Cupie....

You know what I miss here ????

A good old stoush thread about scalping of concert tickets..

:wine:
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 11:17:30 AM »
Let's have it. The great Scalping Debate!

I also feel we're letting ourselves down by not having a discussion about sellers not being able to leave negative feedback.

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 11:24:29 AM »
And...

Who should leave feedback first

That's always a good brawl

:wine:
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

cueperkins

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 11:27:40 AM »
When I was selling, I always waited for the buyer to leave feedback first.  That way if there was a problem, we at least had some level of incentive for each of us to play nice....these days, it's hit and run, ask questions later...if ever.....although some sellers really do deserve neg feedback...I rarely ever leave negs...I just don't leave anything.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »
Morning all.

Don't you miss the days when the kids were young enough to believe anything you told them! Kids these days seem to grow up much faster and become cynical much earlier. One of my boys is a primary teacher and was answering a student's question recently. The student was obviously satisfied with the answer because he announced "Gee Mr x, you're pretty smart for a PE teacher!"

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 06:36:58 PM »
Oh Gosh! Yes! Wheels....the look of surprise when the oldies actually come out with something inteligent is a laugh..lol

But the kids these days have the world at their fingertips....without the need to put popular text books on hold at the library just so they can finish an assignment. They can find information on any subject with just a few presses of a button.

They also have wonderful parents that want them to have all the opportunities to live their lives to the fullest... :green:

My daughter also asked me last night why I never followed my dream of writing...because she knows it is something I very much enjoy.

I explained to her that when I was her age...most women couldn't even continue working when they married or had a family...the opportunities and laws just weren't there.

Our parents were also less likely to encourage us to reach for our dreams...and steered us towards good safe jobs....where we would spend our days until we retired...*sigh

I think the world is a much better place these days...because we now have choices and aren't constrained by our parents and peers telling us that we should just be happy to have a job..lol

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 11:09:54 PM »
You are so right, roo. We often surprise our offspring with our knowledge ;D

My father firmly believed there were only a few "respectable" occupations for me to consider until I married. Journalism was not one of those occupations....."No daughter of mine is going to the city and making cups of tea for a pack of drunken journalists!" 

He reluctantly decided it would be permissable  if I became a trained  a nurse.  I would be living in, and guarded by, the hospital....!!!!! He forgot about the Medical students and the Dental students :yess: :pmsl:

I recall being told by a firm I had rung about a faulty new refrigerator that they would only speak to my husband about the matter. My daughters find that story very difficult to believe.

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll