Author Topic: How to..(Tutorials,pictures,Avatars,resizing or ask for any specific How to..!)  (Read 43103 times)

LiisaSx

This thread is for all members to contribute their valuable knowledge to the wider community.

How to use Microsoft Paint to reduce photo file size

If you want to reduce the visual size of your photos, follow these easy steps using the free Microsoft Paint program included on your PC.

Needed -   

* Computer with Microsoft Paint
* Picture files

From the Start menu Go to Programs, Accessories, Paint.

Step1

First, open the folder where your pictures are located. In this step you can move your cursor over the images and see what their file sizes are. Another way you can find the file size is to right-click on the files and select "Properties."
Select the file you want to reduce, right-click on it and select "Open With" then "Paint."

Step2

After the file opens in Paint, click on the "Image" button at the top. A drop-down menu will appear. Highlight "Stretch or resize/Skew" and click on it.

Step3
Change the horizontal and vertical value to whichever size is needed, Sometimes you will have to click "Edit" at the top and select "Undo" if you reduced it too much or not enough.

Step4
If the picture is satisfactorily reduced, click "File" and then "save as" to rename your reduced file, a tip is to never save the picture with the same origional name,(rename it when saving to something different, call it something else like (Countessa 2) for example, just in case you oops and mess up.

TIP* - When downloading or saving pictures it is easy to forget or lose where it went, so I recommend you make a new folder on your desktop for downloads and save there, that way you know where it went, from there you can install or move to the preferred location.

To do so (right click on the desktop from the box that appears select new folder, then right click the new folder and go to rename call it whatever you like).

Next... How to insert pictures into a post. Stay tuned.  ;D

PS. If anyone would like Avatars, Signatures or Logo's, don't hesitate to ask, I will also add a Tutorial later for Avatar/Sig creation.

Numb!

Re: How to... (post pictures, resize and many other tutorials)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 03:23:45 PM »
One of the easiest editors out there is IrfanView;

http://irfanview.com/

Very versatile too for bulk resizing, compression and thumbnails.

Not so good for image correction and annotation.

Totally FREE too!!

gr8-expectations

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:29:20 AM »
liisa i would love to see a tutorial on avatars thanks, would love to add an image

LiisaSx

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 06:32:42 PM »
How to Place pictures into a post successfully on the forums:

Hit the reply Button to open a dialogue box ready for your posting.

Click on the icon above the dialogue box.

This will cause the following to appear in the body of your text box  [*img] [*/img]   
(ignore the asterisks I added them so the code would appear.)

Between the two bracketed code lines add the URL of the image you want to post.

For example [*img]http://www.mypicexample[*/img]

(Make sure the picture is hosted somewhere like photo bucket or some other image hosting site and choose the link code to paste the image you want)

Press Post and voila!

LiisaSx

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:44:43 PM »
Gr8 sorry I missed your post earlier!!!

How to make an Avatar for use on the forums.

To put your Avatar on forums go to the toolbar on the top left of the page where you will see -

HOME l HELP l SEARCH l PROFILE l MY MESSAGES l MEMBERS l LOGOUT

Click on Profile, then go to Forum profile Info on the left.

There you will see a box open where you can choose to enter a URL for a pic from Photo bucket or some such hosting site or Choose to upload one directly from your PC if you prefer.

river

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 07:24:17 PM »
TESTING

EDIT: My piccy didn't work - back soon

EDIT MARK II - I think it worked

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 07:30:26 PM »
And River, we also have 'Modify' and 'Delete' buttons

river

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 07:37:12 PM »
I found those, they are great, now what do the five stars stand for?????

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 07:39:18 PM »
River, the more you post, the more stars you will gain.

Special contributions may gain special recognition - particularly contributing something we can add to the FAQ section.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

gr8-expectations

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »
thank you liisa for the avatar and inserting a picture info, much appreciated

LiisaSx

Any time Gr8, anyone can feel free to ask for tutorials on any subject matter, if i cannot assist there is a wealth of informative posters on the board who will be more than willing to help out !!!

Your only limited by your own imagination.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
Many thanks for this  :10:
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Primaryaim

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Prim, do you need some 'live' help?

Primaryaim

Wheels, if you are still here, yes please.

Photobucket has 4 links below the picture. Which link do I use?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
In this forum, use the bottom one IMG Code and copy straight in, you don't need to use the 'Insert Image' icon on the menu above.

Primaryaim

Ah, that is what I was doing. No wonder it didn't work :) I will try again in my post above

LOL that was toooo easy. I always expect it to be hard!

Thank you wheels  :t2:

Al**Bear

• New Knight
I notice most People are still using the Default layout for the Board , try another , on profile, go into , 'Look & Layout  preferences' , there is a choice of Layouts,  Try the Babylon Theme, it is a lot cleaner and clearer than the default   ;)

gr8-expectations

thanks AL**bear, looks a lot better

gr8-expectations

liisaSx,

can you tell me please - for my ads on ebay and running them with supersize through auctiva, what would be size be that i should re-size them to?

i.e. what is the smallest i can get away with and still have them large in supersize, my ads are massive with tons of images and i need to reduce their size and loading speed

thank you

LiisaSx

Hi Gr8,

From what i have been able to ascertain the following applies as a general rule of thumb.

Auctiva templates, for instance, start with 400 x 300 pixels, and the Supersize option is automatically enabled. Unless you're selling something with a lot of fine detail that you need to show, you will rarely need to go larger than 800 x 600 pixels.

I don't use Auctiva myself so someone else who does may be able to shed some more light.

gr8-expectations

thanks Liisa-Sx,

that sound right and means i need to test my images as many i have been putting up at 1000 x 800 depending on proportions so smaller will mean faster loading, auctiva say they resize them anyway but not sure if that works all the time, have some new listings to do tomorrow so will do a test and also test load speed, someone on dial up could prolly not even look at my ads which is a bit crazy lol

thanks again

Numb!

Once again, image dimensions aren't nearly as important as file size.  No one image should be more than about 50Kb, 25-30Kb would be better.

Take a look at this page:

http://webhelps.central-us.net/photoediting.htm

Al**Bear

• New Knight
COPY AND PASTE HTML PAGE FOR EBAY

http://www.eobcards.com/tutorial3.htm#toc

This has been a great help

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
I also find this site good for HTML code help
http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/

gr8-expectations

far out numbie and everyone, most of my images have been like 250-400 k so seems they are a tad oversize lol, may sell more if people can open my ads lol

tomorrow.....i read all this and get it right

thanks everyone

customers will no longer need 8 gb of ram and a supercomputer to open my ads....

shhhh...notsirguitardave

Hi there Liisa-sx, I posted my very first image ever thanks to your tutorial.
I would like to be able to do as other posters do, which is post clickable
thumbnails that then show a higher resolution image. I have tried but without
success. I followed the instructions for this contained in a post on the
collections thread, but I could not get it to go. Anyways, thanks L.            :thanks:

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Can I help sirguitar?

I did some instructions for Barny in this post:
http://www.ozroundtable.com/index.php?topic=248.msg8707#msg8707

When you are copying an image from photobucket into this forum you just cut and paste the IMG link, you do not need to use the Insert Image icon on the menu.

shhhh...notsirguitardave

Ok thanks Wheels , I will try that when I get some spare time in the next couple of days, cheers.

Golden Silence

Helpppp! I'm not normally this blonde but I'm having trouble creating a hyperlink. I've followed the UBB code but when I preview, the link is one big, long mess with the entire link showing instead of just a clickable here. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I'm left completely bald.  :please:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
[ url=http://www.test.com ]Here[ /url ]

Don't include the spaces, of course.

The best way to do this is to type the text which you want as a hyperlink - e.g., "Here". Select this. Then click onto the "Insert Hyperlink" icon . Move your cursor to url (just before the square bracket closes). Enter = and the URL. (No spaces.)

And there you are!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Golden Silence

Bless you Countess. The = was missing.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
I notice most People are still using the Default layout for the Board , try another , on profile, go into , 'Look & Layout  preferences' , there is a choice of Layouts,  Try the Babylon Theme, it is a lot cleaner and clearer than the default   ;)

Where do I do this in Look & Layout preferences? I look there and have no idea where to find the Babylon Theme. I have no idea what that theme does. :'(
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
At the moment I've had to disable the other themes for security reasons. I hope to have them available again later this week after tweaking the php.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
That is such a relief to know it was not one of my "intelligent"moments, countess   Phew:crazy:

Thank you ;D

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
How do I make sure my connection runs at optimum speed?

Firstly go here test your speed - http://www.speedtest.net/ then compare it, speedtest will rate you.

What is Speedtest.net?

Use Speedtest.net to test the speed of your Internet connection. See if you are getting what you pay for or share your results with others!

After the initial test, click on:
How do your results stack up when compared to others?, on the speedtest page

No matter how fast your Internet connection is, there are times when things will slow down to a crawl. This article will help you sort out what kinds of things can go wrong, learn what you can do about them, and discover how to get the most from your Internet connection.

Click here: - http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/d9e08acd-9eac-4af8-a4d3-9c6d9e7d5a7a1033.mspx
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Need to use those little symbols you see in some listings and feedback ?

Then look no further.....

http://www.alt-codes.net/
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

gr8-expectations

sir guitar lovely to see you here