Author Topic: I think I've killed PayPal  (Read 15231 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
I think I've killed PayPal
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »
I just logged in to PayPal, entered my ID and password, entered my security code and then the screen says this

Fatal Failure

I think I've killed it  :lol:

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: I think I've killed PayPal
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 11:50:05 AM »

Not likely wheelie unless you drive a stake through it's heart and cut off it's head ....

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:00:42 PM »
Did you feed it some bad shellfish or something, Wheels? It can't simply have keeled over and died.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »
I think that's been done before .... but it just keeps on coming back.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »
Well PayPal seems all ok now but somebody killed C&S earlier today. Luckily I had printed off all of the weekend's labels at lunch time. When I went to print the last 2 labels before the PO run it was no go. I went to the PO and came back and tried again and it worked! Luckily we live close and I just had time to run back to the PO before the parcel guy arrived. The only problem is we received 7 email receipts from C&S. The first was for 2 items and a charge of $20.45. The second for 4 items (same 2 items doubled up) and $40.90. The third was for 6 items and $61.35. And so on until the last receipt was for 14 items and $143.15!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
Thats cos its a daily summary isnt it ?

I never printall that bollocks out otherwiseyouuse 3 sheets of paper each transaction
I click on tne print label only option
But I do do as many transactionsas you , so I can see why a daily summary would suit your needs

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »
No, the receipt should just be for the 2 items. I already had a receipt for the other 10 labels that I'd printed earlier in the day. The system was having a meltdown and was stopping part way through the payment. So it's partly my fault. I logged out and back in and the items were still in the shopping cart so I went through the payment again.

I've sent them an email and after they check how much has actually been charged then they'll refund any overpayment.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »
I don't print all the summaries and receipts either. I just had to have a look at the emails when 7 emails came through at the same time. First of all I thought it was just the one email that had been sent 7 times but then I looked at the totals on each and had a laugh when I realised the total was increasing on each one. Only I wouldn't be laughing if the dollar amount was a lot higher.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 07:37:23 PM »
Well I can't complain about their customer service. I've already received a reply to say that I was charged 3 x $20.45 and that they have issued refunds for the extra 2 payments.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »
Much better than many other examples of customer service...!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »
Well PayPal seems all ok now but somebody killed C&S earlier today.

So I found out.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »
Well the C&S site was shut down again yesterday and it's still down. What a pain! Just shows how dependent we've become with it. We were able to get through yesterday's parcels ok with some old prepaid satchels that I found in the cupboard together with Registered labels for the higher value items. Luckily so far we haven't had any sales to remote places where I've quoted shipping using a Flat Rate box. Postage would be double if C&S doesn't come back online. Fingers crossed it is all up and running before PO time today.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »
Wheels with the flat rate ctns you pay them a the post office office dont you

If so , im fairly certain they can do it on their computers not through logging on to click and send but just through their till , you would need to address the carton and they will print out a barcode sticker , its under section 4 on their till machine the serbice is parcel plus and then they scroll down to the flat rate for the box if its the $15 thing you are talking about o what used to be $15 might be slightly higer now ... Im sure i did one like that about a year ago , when my printer was down for some reason , my post office guy somehow did it on their system , it was for one of their bigger post pak boxes ...

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »
No, the Flat Rate boxes have to paid online the same as the satchels. It's not a problem at the moment because the smaller items that don't fit in satchels can go in boxes and still weigh under 500g so I can just send Registered. One of the benefits of C&S is being able to send parcels under 500g and add tracking for $1.55. Over the counter tracking is only available for parcels over 500g.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »
Oh ok , I thought I did it once at the po for some reason
What do 5kg satchels cost nowadays , anyone know or even use them ?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 10:31:46 AM »
The 5kg prepaid regular satchels just went up last week from $14.50 to $15.90 with discounts if you buy in bulk. We don't use them very often but I bought a pack of 10 last month. They are big - about the same size as the jumbo 3kg express satchels. They have a tracking number and tear off strip on the side that is stamped by the PO so you would have PayPal proof of shipping.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 10:37:25 AM »
Ok , thats good , I didnt know they were trackable included a.though I suspected they might be as they also have the words parcel post plus on them , so as all other parcel postplus is trackable I wondered if they were and if it was included in the cost
So taken that into consideration they are about the same cost as a 3 kg satchel , registered ?
Or not much different anyhow

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »
Actually I'm pleased you mentioned them. I've just tried out some different carton sizes in them and a few of them fit so we can use them if needed if C&S doesn't come back online.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »
Method in my madness wheels

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »
Jeez, me and my big mouth. I've spent the last couple of hours trying to find/make boxes to fit into the satchels to keep the the postage prices down. I hope C&S is back up and running by Monday.

The parcel lady said that they start Sunday deliveries from this Sunday. Also, our PO is having a parcel pickup on Saturdays at 12noon until Christmas so at least the parcels will keep moving over the weekends.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »
I called C&S help last week sometime to ask about selecting Flat Rate Boxes, because a week or so earlier, there was a drop-down where you could select the size of Flat Rate Box you wanted - and it had now disappeared.  Seems it had gone back to the original where you have to type in the box code.

Nevertheless, it was during this conversation, when I was wearing my IT hat, when it was revealed that programming of the Australia Post site was done in-house ... and that it was, on the whole, very well done.  Click and Send, however, had been done externally.  When I hear things like that, the word 'Outsourced' comes screaming out of the sky at me.

From my experience, outsourcing is getting someone else to do the work, based on price, where the quality of the work is a lottery - often reflecting the skill of the salesperson more than the programmers.  Please understand, this criticism of outsourcing is not a global one - but there are sufficient example in the programming sphere to warrant extreme caution ... IMHO.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 05:45:56 PM »
Yay! C&S is back up and running. There are a couple of small changes that I've noticed but everything is working fine. I've just printed out a heap of labels so our buyers will have received auto eBay emails saying Posted. On a Sunday! But no major dramas. Very happy.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 07:19:22 PM »
Good news about C&S ....

My seller friend will be happy - they had a few sales to one customer up in Queensland - and if the Flat Rate Box option wasn't available, they'd be somewhat out of pocket.

As for the automatic 'Posted' status ... that - as far as being a 'standard procedure' is just so idiotic.  I can say this, though, it is a simple and lazy way of programming in a shipping date.

While we're on the subject of C&S - have they fixed up the auto-insert of the tracking number for imported eBay items?

Last time I looked, they were inserting the barcode value - not the tracking number which appears immediately under the barcode.  The barcode value contains not only the tracking number, but a 4 digit product code added at the beginning and the destination postcode tacked on at the end.  It will not work in the eBay tracking function.  To get around it, you have to manually set up the C&S info, type the actual tracking number into the eBay item tracking number field and then type 'Australia Post' into the carrier field.  Doing this allows the automatic tracking lookup from the eBay item to work.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 07:40:45 PM »
Im not sure tat they get a message which says posted even though it shows in the sellers " my ebay as posted , they may get a essage like this ... A copy of one I got recently ...

Despatch Notification : Consignment Xxxxxxxxxx
Dear Customer,
Your parcel (1) from Xxxxxx Pty Ltd is ready for despatch with Australia Post.

The best way to track and manage the delivery of these goods is via My Deliveries. Click My Deliveries to create an account or here to log in. This consignment can also be viewed or you can choose to receive tracking emails by clicking on this link

Subscribe

Please allow approximately 24 hours before checking the website.

Regards,

**Please note that this is an automatically generated email - replies will not be answered.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 07:41:25 PM »
So it ever actually says its posted just that its ready for dispatch

I also got this .....

View your order details xxxxxxx

Here's your order update
Hi xxxxxxx

To help you keep track of your purchases, we're sending you this order update. You can also view the latest order updates and details in My eBay.

Thanks again for shopping on eBay!

Go to Order Details
Order updates

Recent updates to your order   
    Your item is marked as posted.   
  Seller: xxxxxxx
Message from seller:

{Note: Chrismas peak season delivery. some customers will experience some delays during peak season. please allow 3-5 working days delay. thanks for your cooperation.if u can not receive it in 8 working days pls email us for tracking}

Item title      Price      
Postage price
Qty      Item

Paid on 01-Nov-12       AU $79.00        Free       1       AU $79.00   
Posted on 02-Nov-12
AusPost Regular Parcel
Estimated delivery: November 05 - November 12, 2012  

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
That, at least, is a bit more accurate.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 07:49:52 PM »
Smee, I think that first email is from Aus Post where the seller has ticked the box to notify the buyer of the shipment. The second one is from eBay.

I like the fact the it is marked as Posted in eBay and the email sent. This will be the first time I've printed the labels a whole day before I post the parcels. Buyers do get an auto eBay email (most of the time). I have checked in SMP in the record of eBay emails sent.

Brumby, I don't change anything with the tracking number. I do send an email to every buyer to let them know that their parcel has been sent and if it has been sent with tracking I tell them that tracking details will be available in their My eBay and I put in a link to the auspost tracking page.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »
Yes , I send my buyers a personal message too , apart from any ebay generated pus they may get , I switch off as much of the ebay crap as i can , i hate getting standard letters / emails .. Much much much better to get one from the actual human im dealing with so I send human! Personal , specific ones  .

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »
From what I remember, if you import details from eBay, you can't muck around with the tracking number.

Just out of interest, Wheels, can you check how many digits are in the C&S tracking number that is recorded against the items?

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »
Yes , I send my buyers a personal message too , apart from any ebay generated pus they may get , I switch off as much of the ebay crap as i can , i hate getting standard letters / emails .. Much much much better to get one from the actual human im dealing with so I send human ones

My seller friend is of the same opinion.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 08:03:42 PM »
Brums, 14, I think. My eyes aren't too good at this time of night.

Check this out:
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=duplo+5602

I was having a quick look at some listings that have sat there for a while to see if I should change the pics. Seems lazy sellers will copy pics from other countries too! And he obviously can't photoshop because he has in the description
ALL THERE EXCEPT A LITTLE RED SUITCASE

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »
Brums, I've just looked at a couple of tracking numbers from last month. You can copy paste directly into the auspost tracking page and it works ok.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »
They must have fixed it.  14 is the correct number of digits.

Before, they simply put the barcode value into the tracking field - and that was a problem because the barcode consists of 22 digits. A four digit prefix of "9978" followed by the 14 digit tracking number and then the four digit destination postcode.  The eBay link didn't work and the Australia Post tracking system did not understand the 22 digit number.

The stupid thing is - it should never have been released with such a glaring flaw.

I wonder how long it has been fixed for?  There are certainly no release notes that I know of telling me of fixes made.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 10:33:14 PM »
I've just looked back to the earliest sale in SMP which is start of August and they have 12 numbers.

And I've just checked in C&S back to May when we started selling again, all 12 numbers.  ;D

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 11:41:22 PM »
Registered is 12 digits - Click and Send is 14, isn't it?

Also, do you use the automatic 'load' of details from eBay into C&S or add them manually?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 11:46:54 PM »
No and Yes.

No, I did a quick look back through the history in C&S. Tracking numbers until 21 August had 12 numbers. From 23 August they had 14. We didn't have any C&S parcels on 22nd so it changed over either on 22nd or 23rd.

Yes, we have eBay and C&S linked.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 11:58:04 PM »
OK.

Thanks for all that.

tommy.irene

• Knight of the RT
  • Im a 99 year old IRISHMAN..But I still think im 25
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
Things learned from TV:

All crimes are solved in 1 hour.

The Good guy always wins.

When you’re trapped, you always find a way out.

A trip from Los Angeles to China takes 5 seconds.

All women still have makeup on when they wake up in the morning.

When you’re a hero, you will never get burnt in a fire.
***** TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL *****