Author Topic: Facebook - How useful is it for a Seller?  (Read 14045 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Facebook - How useful is it for a Seller?
« on: July 07, 2009, 02:02:27 AM »
The question has been raised and I have no experience to call upon.  

Certainly, there are the obvious issues about revealing too much information to risk identity theft and personal safety, but is there a place in such networking sites that presents positive opportunities for online sellers?

If so, what specific DO's and DON'Ts are there you could suggest be followed to maximise the opportunities and minimise the risks?

What success stories have you heard?
What horror stories have you heard?  
What potential problems should a Seller be aware of?

... or is it just a NO GO zone?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Facebook - How useful is it for a Seller?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 03:19:02 AM »
My unqualified opinion ...... Dont go there 

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:59:25 AM »
What I've heard about Facebook isn't encouraging, but it's definitely not my sort of thing... so I speak without experience. When I think about Facebook, the image that comes to mind is that of teenagers spilling secrets about each other and confiding to the world their own secrets.

The reality - for people who use Facebook - may be different.

At the very least, you should never include address information or personal information about yourself which could lead to the disclosure of your address. Avoid mentioning landmarks near your location, avoid uploading pictures of yourself and family, etc.

I would imagine you need to update your entries regularly; if you don't, your target audience would lose interest rapidly. You'd need to include something to entice people to your account, so it can't be all business.

Like all tools, I would think it depends upon how it's used that one could gauge its effectiveness.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

cueperkins

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:12:01 AM »
I'd be more than a little careful about these social networking sites....they seem to be a magnet for all kinds of deviants, including child grooming, stalking and harassment...I'd go and read this recent ABC story about sites like facebook, twitter etc, before putting it all out there...I'd also advise parents to make sure they read this article.....Kids are even more at risk (Parental guidance is essential)  The following link discusses the risks and international legal precedents involving Twitter, Facebook, Myspace etc....  dated 2/6/09.   

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/lawreport/stories/2009/2584563.htm

Click onto the transcript link if you have dial up or can't hear the audio.

Cyber stalking and online libel

A Melbourne woman has just been sentenced to a year's jail for harassing US singer Diana Degarmo.

The obsessed fan bombarded Degarmo with texts, phone calls and emails. She also used her credit card number and harassed her family and friends.

Of course legal problems go where people are. Right now litigation is emerging from fracas on Facebook, misadventures on MySpace and even tantrums on Twitter.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 12:32:03 PM »
Thanks for that link, Cupie.  It certainly helps put some real meat behind the issues faced by a site operator, such as our dear Countess, that some consider esoteric or the stuff of paranoia or 'big brother'.

The fundamental is the cyberspace equivalent of "your freedom to swing your arms stops at the end of my nose" - but the evidence, witnesses and legal framework are not as simply managed - yet.

It's interesting to observe that some of the problems arise from poor password management - including 'obvious' passwords or not keeping them secret.  (I have been blessed with an attitude cultured in the corporate IT environment - If an issue is traced back to your userid, YOU are guilty - and if the offence warrants dismissal, YOU will be dismissed.  So don't share your password with ANYONE ... EVER!)

The risks I have identified so far relate to the actions of a third party - which can be done on these sites (and elsewhere for that matter) without any presence there of the disaffected party.  So vigilence would be essential in any case.

The original question then extends to ask if a Seller creates a presence there, whether that would encourage a negative reaction  - ie that some errant personality would take it as a new target, worthy of their (unwanted) attention?

cueperkins

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 01:41:02 PM »
Hi Brumby...yes it was an illuminating look at current legal ramifications...and the double edged nature of the social networking craze.  I found it interesting that other areas of law can deal with unlawfully accessing someone else's private email, or facebook account etc as a federal crime...now that's when it gets really interesting. Laws are evolving...but it's jurisdiction that gives the biggest headaches I believe.......NSW has had recent changes to the Crimes Act, relevant to Stalking and which focuses on the newly emerging cyber element of that particular criminal activity....I have that link somewhere....Melbourne by comparison have had serious cyber stalking penalties in place since 2003 = up to 10 year sentence.   Not sure of other states, but you get the gist of the jurisdictional issues that exist between one State and another vs Federally.  As that lawyer was saying, whereas that woman's claim may not be winnable under stalking laws, it would classify as a breach of federal privacy and telecommunications laws. 

Interestingly, the sites themselves, try to avoid all manner of responsibility, and sometimes in complete breach of their site rules....for instance...impersonation is against Twitter rules, but that doesn't stop people from signing up under someone else's name for the sole purpose of harassment....

As for sellers using Twitter and Facebook to network...provided there is no way to link those accounts back to you as a real life person, and provided you protect your password, it may actually be in your best interest to open accounts on the most popular sites, but only for business....  Why?  well, it ensures that nobody else can register an Imposter account under your business name, for the sole purpose of attacking your reputation.

It's a fascinating subject.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »
Must look at registering the name(s) to keep them safe.  Also, if they need to be active or have some activity level for them to be kept.

Gotta go - RL screaming.

Back later.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 02:47:19 PM »
I just happened to come across a news item about a hooner who got himself into trouble because of having uploaded videos of his exploits onto Facebook. The police thought that was very obliging of him, said "Thank you, that'll do nicely", and not only took away his licence but confiscated both of his cars.

This seems to be a problem many internet users have not yet understood. What you post on the internet for all to see is not private or hidden. It's private only if it's posted within a private section requiring specific password access or group access, and even there (unless everyone involved respects the privacy to which they agree when gaining that access), information could be misused. If people post things that are actionable or illegal, they run the risk of the police seeing it - and it's too late then to wish one had been more circumspect.

In the case of the hooner, he played the fool on the road as well as online - and he's paying the price.

Respectable sellers probably don't have to fear THIS sort of problem, though... but just remember that whatever you post online will be seen not only by nice prospective buyers but also by demented psychopaths, nasty people with too much time on their hands, professional stalkers, dirty old men with threadbare raincoats, teens high on ice... etc., etc., etc...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »

... but just remember that whatever you post online will be seen not only by nice prospective buyers but also by demented psychopaths, nasty people with too much time on their hands, professional stalkers, dirty old men with threadbare raincoats, teens high on ice... etc., etc., etc...

Like eBay? ... Or eBay forums?
Is it any more or any less of a problem?

(.. or has this question now rounding the final turn to have come full circle..?)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 11:02:14 AM »
Brumby, I've been thinking about this... and I think Facebook poses even more problems than eBay or eBay forums. It's true that offending the wrong crowd can make you a target on the eBay forums, or being a bad seller or a bad buyer can get you onto BBLs, and so on and so on... but eBay forums don't attract anywhere near the number of visitors that Facebook does. Facebook's popularity, and its TYPE of popularity, makes it inherently a place holding certain dangers because of the amount of personal information some unwise people have put (and continue to put) on their Facebook accounts. I've read at least ten reports within the last month or so of stalkers and old seducers trying to find young girls or young boys on Facebook - and that's just one example.

That means the crowd drawn to Facebook is huge and contains some dangerous elements.

If people need to use Facebook, I'd suggest not including any contact information, and not linking to sites which include more information about you.

Bear in mind that having been the victim of more than one stalker, my viewpoint is necessarily going to strike some people as paranoid. It's not easy to find the right balance between an open and friendly personality, and the need for maintaining one's privacy.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 05:53:45 PM »
Bear in mind that having been the victim of more than one stalker, my viewpoint is necessarily going to strike some people as paranoid. It's not easy to find the right balance between an open and friendly personality, and the need for maintaining one's privacy.

Unfortunately Countess, while most of us have never experienced stalkers, of what we see and what we know, paranoia is becoming a less used label. In fact 'overly cautious' doesn't even cross my mind - it's just basic personal safety and identity protection precautions these days.

Which brings me back to the original question - the core of which is finding a balance between a positive public image encouraging legitimate custom as against attracting unwelcomed attention.

If people need to use Facebook, I'd suggest not including any contact information, and not linking to sites which include more information about you.

If you had a website selling, say, artist supplies, would you then consider a facebook entry with minimal personal information such as "I've been painting for over 20 years" and a link to your website to be outside the bounds of safety?

Certainly a P.O. box would be essential, as would a business only phone number, but if you had further Oztion and/or eBay listings as well, are there further exposures?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 11:28:08 PM »
Hmm. As long as your eBay and/or Oztion and/or other venue listings do not include your personal information (that is, you don't share your private home phone number with any site, or your home address), you'd limit any risk.

There's a whole generation and/or type of person who does use Facebook and so on. I am not attracted to it, but apparently I'm anachronistic! I look at the total price of eBay items rather than 99-cent bargains, for instance, and that's clearly not the way a lot of buyers look at items on eBay. (Witness Ernest's thread.) There must be a marketing opportunity for people who are able to manage a Facebook account cleverly - giving enough information without allowing any personal details to be revealed.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 11:35:29 PM »
On a slightly different tangent - what about Twitter?

While I see the social/celebrity/blog arena pouring copious amounts of useless information through the airwaves, it seems there are some useful aspects for this medium in the business world.

Any comments?

(would this be better split into a separate thread?)

cueperkins

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »
No brumby, it's relevant here....Don't get me started on Twitter, the Stalkers venue of choice........clearly there are some really sick & twisted individuals emerging in this 21st century free for all, and all in the name of  'social networking'....lmao.

There's been two major news stories,  this morning, regarding stalking and E-Crime projections......two separate criminal issues but nonetheless connected by the net, and both considered 'out of control'.  Once again Facebook and Twitter are cited as a major attraction for cyber bullying/harassment in particular. 

Taking into account that cyber based crimes are projected to increase dramatically in the next decade......there's nothing Paranoid about it Countess. 

Brumby, I would suggest that you definitely sign up any names you wish to protect on that particular vipers pit, (Twitter for Twits) to ensure no demented borderline personality uses your trading name to impersonate and harass you.

cueperkins

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 09:22:01 AM »
And for all of you with websites, and merchant facilities etc.....Be worried, be paranoid...it's justified...read on....

Police chief says net fraud worsening
Updated: 14:23, Tuesday July 7, 2009

An international forum has heard no business is immune to cyber crime and it is only going to get worse.

About 100 experts from around the world are gathering in Brisbane for a high-tech crime symposium.

Queensland Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson said fraud and corporate crime using the internet was getting worse.

'Cyber crime is a global phenomenon that can be expected to continue to rise exponentially around the world as the internet continues its roll out,' Mr Atkinson told a a press conference.

'It is for this reason significant effort has been made to bring together an ensemble of national and international speakers and presenters together to gain a broader appreciation of a unique crime environment.

'No-one nor any business is immune. If you own a computer or a phone you fall within the potential victim network.'

Mr Atkinson said scams were becoming more sophisticated, using not only email and the web but mobile phone text messages.

'We see victims suffer not only embarrassment and humiliation but many victims are losing their home and life savings - everything,' Mr Atkinson said.

'Additionally, we see that corporate entities are becoming more often the individual focus of highly skilled hackers and cyber criminals.'

The conference has been organised for experts to share strategies and initiatives to crack down on net crime.

http://www.skynews.com.au/tech/article.aspx?id=349934

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »
Getting back to twitter...I find it hard to follow...not sure who is stating what...the very small threads I can comprehend is 100% false... it's intended purpose by the original designer has been bastardized and transformed into the most misinformed tool on the WWW... it takes someone that has been lobotomised to comprehend it IMO.... [ My opinion and don't send me junk mail ! ]

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 09:39:43 AM »
Getting back to twitter...I find it hard to follow...not sure who is stating what...the very small threads I can comprehend is 100% false... it's intended purpose by the original designer has been bastardized and transformed into the most misinformed tool on the WWW... it takes someone that has been lobotomised to comprehend it IMO.... [ My opinion and don't send me junk mail ! ]

I agree!, now I have been around Computers, Blogs, Forums etc ad infinitum for a loong time, I thought I had seen it all but Twitter..IMHO all it seems to be is an endless stream of unintelligable gibberish, with no format and almost impossible to follow... whats the attraction?  I know after trying to read and comprehend after 10 minutes I gave up and never looked back... I cannot fathom it's popularity, utterly pointless gibbering and ranting lol  :vent:

On a side note I have a facebook page, (against my better judgement as family insisted) it has no personal information on it period (I am always horrified to see friends displaying all their personal details to the world and try to get them to stop it lol), Only people I permit by physical acceptance can view what little I do have there, and if a family member posts anything giving away personal details on my wall it gets deleted.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

cueperkins

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »
Don't worry Yib...you're safe from us anyway......hehehehe.   Twitter is for twits...lol.  I agree Lisa...mindless gibberish....But then the kids probably love it because it's so much like texting isn't it?

But staying with the theme of safety on social networking sites including Twitter, and broadening that subject to the nature of stalking harassment perpetrated by the gutless on these sites......there are ramifications !!!...laws are tightening....but you still need to be very wary....

Cyber-stalking, threats open to police action
13/06/2009 12:00:00 AM

Legally, an act of cyber-stalking is defined as including when a person stalks another person by publishing on the internet or by an email or other electronic communication to any person a statement or other material with the intention of causing physical or mental harm to the victim or of arousing apprehension or fear in the victim for their own safety.

Detective Sergeant Porter said that aside from cyber-stalking or harassment, people posting insulting comments about others on such websites were also leaving themselves open to civil defamation suits which could cost thousands of dollars in pay-outs.

He said anonymous posters on website forums could be tracked down in the same way police have caught people involved in uploading or downloading child pornography.

"People can be tracked down . . . and they will be dealt with," Detective Sergeant Porter said.

"Police are able to establish who posts these sort of things.

"There are various avenues open to police to track down people who do this.

"They will be charged and prosecuted. If they are committing offences they will be held accountable."

http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/news/general/cyberstalking-threats-open-to-police-action/1539505.aspx

cueperkins

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »
Here brumby...bnwt has posted a story on Ebay sellers using facebook and the specific facebook applications developed to do so......maybe it will help

http://www.ecommerce-guide.com/essentials/ebay/article.php/3828781