Author Topic: Just noticed if someone retracts a bid on Ebay, then the retraction shows up  (Read 8905 times)

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone

I've just noticed that if an Ebay auction has had a bid retraction and it now shows up at the bottom of the bidding history.

It looks like Ebay is trying to address shrill bidding this way.  Good move I think.

:duckling:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Hmm. I have to admit I hadn't noticed. But then I've not bid on anything for the last week or so...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
This is old feature. It has been there since many years ago.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
Hi Low.  I used to search a bit on bids looking for suspicious activity a couple of years ago and it wasn't there then.

Stumbled across this whilst I was checking out how much an item sold for.  I was most interested to see a very clear list at the bottom of the ad along with reasons given for the bid retraction.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
I have always checked feedback prior to purchase and in many cases the bidding history too, I've never noticed it before, mind you I might not have stumbled upon a listing with retractions yet.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
ive seen bidding history where there has been retractions and it has never shown what fluffy is talking about
I have seen where it show how many retractions a bidder has made if you check his/her bidding history but never have I seen it on an items bidding history that shows the retraction and why

Cohen will get an erection if he sees it .... and he will deal with it himself

actually come to think of it he wont ...maybe a stiff neck , but it will be a ploy by ebay to somehow assist shillers

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
Yes you have been able to Look at the bidding history and you could always see I think general stats.  This was a stand alone line at the bottom of the bidding history and showed clearly the bid retraction and the reason given for it.

Can't find it again.  Will keep looking.

Ok I think I have round an example.  Scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=280807314098

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
I see it, Fluffy..... but one wonders why you would bother retracting a bid of 22 cents on that item - especially when it had free shipping.  You would have been really kidding yourself to think you were ever at risk..............

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Fluffy, the retraction details have been displayed like that for quite a while.

I think the number of bid retractions is increasing on eBay and the buyers don't seem to be penalised in any way. If you get a buyer bidding on several items from the one seller and then retracting the bids it makes the seller look dodgy.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
I had a look at your example fluffy, that particular bidder sure enters the wrong amount a LOT lol

Bid retractions (6 months):    33
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
I did quite a bit of bid retractions over the years. Every time I see it showing in bid history.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
OK Low.  I've never seen that view at the bottom of the completed listing before.  (Not that I have really looked for a couple of years).

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
Sounds good. I wish nobody noticed my retracted bids.

Recently I place a high value bid on a common coin. My bid is a lot higher than retail price. It was my mistake as I was thinking about another coin. Then there is another bidder who keep pushing up the price. It looks very suspicious.

I have no other choice but retracted and revised my bids. Immediately after my bids retraction, that bidder also revised his/her bid.

Showing the bid retractions doesn't tells you when shill bidding is taking place.

Ebay said we can't retract bids for "Listing ends in less than 12 hours" only "if you retract the bid within one hour of placing it"

That is not true. Few months ago, I bid on a couple of coins and was outbid 1 day before the auctions end. I have no intention to bid further and was looking for other coins. Much to my surprise the top bidder retracted his bids (yes I found out who he is) and suddenly I became the top bidder and won both coins.

These days I have no hesitation in retracting my bids when I see anything suspicious.