Author Topic: Getting a warning message on Ebay sign in page???. Can anyone help?  (Read 13622 times)

**cupie**

I've just gone to ebay from a google search, pressed on the 'sign in' link at the top of the page near the logo, and when I looked down the bottom at the padlock, it has a red circle with a white exclamation mark in it....the message says 'Warning Contains unauthenticated content".  

I backed out, and went back through the Welcome to Ebay  Sign in, (large red button on home page) and got the usual lock.  

Then I went back out and tried each again and got the same message on the Welcome to Ebay page sign in but not with the sign in link near the logo?  huh?.....don't want to sign in until I find out what it is......does anybody know?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Could you take a screen shot of the problem page? Perhaps there's a dodgy advertisement. (I don't receive that message, and I've already signed in and added something to my Watch list, so whatever this error is, it's clearly not a consistent problem for each user.)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

**cupie**

I signed in when I got the padlock without the message, but this is the second time it's happened.

It might be something to do with verisign.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Me thinks it's yet ANOTHER world-famous eBay Glitch.
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
It could be time for another parody... The Glitches of Eastwick.

But that does remind me that Minties Python is still not finished. Ah well, I haven't really had the time lately...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
I have half a packet of Minties left. I will save them ;D
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
Re: Getting a warning message on Ebay sign in page???. Can anyone help?
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 11:56:51 AM »
Not this thread again.......

And to see how I got whacked on the Thread Killers thread, there's no justice here. But it's still a better-good time more than the [] !!!

Cupie: Yer problem is not obvious. There are no obvious solutions.

Maybe if yer became UN-obvious, you'd have better action? I dunno.

Sorry...

C):-{= <" well that was helpful in a desert-rat sort of way.... "<<

**cupie**

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 12:01:32 PM »
Tello, maybe it gets lost in translation of humor...but can you explain what the hell you're talking about....lol

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 12:05:06 PM »
Nope, sorry. Not now. Can't do it.

I trust that my Contemporaries will come to my rescue.

Cheers and Later....there's a Biker Rally going on here and now, and I'm in the Band.....

Breaktime is over...

Rontello.com

**cupie**

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:13:53 PM »
I trust that my Contemporaries will come to my rescue.

Oh I see !!! Say no more !!!   :rolleyes:

Anyone able to offer any real solutions to the problem?

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 12:27:43 PM »
I don't know what is happening with regard to the warnings re encryption you see ,cupie, but although I am always told I am on a safe ,encrypted page (and the verisign gives no indication of any problem) when I go into CS I often have a crash report from firefox mozilla. My firefox is the latest etc... It is annoying and not the same as your problem.

I go into eBay through my bookmarks.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 12:54:20 PM »
There is certainly some odd thing occurring! Hope someone can clear it up.

I have been told (a couple of times in the last months )I am not on a safe page although I have had no indication of that until I have gone to the Discussion Boards.

I always run all security and all updates are updated for everything.  Trend Micro Pro is always running and has picked up nothing except cookies, low (medium occasionally) level threats to quarantine/delete. Spybot nothing.

I may see what I get with IE7. Not installing IE8 yet. I have no problems other than eBay as I said. Verisign is always "happy".

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 02:06:29 PM »
Ok I am scratching my head on this one, is it a possibility that it could be your protection software? Go in and take a look, see if anything looks unusual there or if the settings are not as they should be, check your 'safe sites", I'll look into this further and hopefully come up with some more info.

There is some interesting reading on encryption here  scroll down for firefox relevant material-

http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/securesubmit.html
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

**cupie**

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 02:39:40 PM »
thanks centuries and Lisa, I wouldn't know what to look for in my protection software anyway...but it only happens with Ebay lately...no other site....as I said it's the cookies that are interesting, cause when I remove them and go back to Ebay, the problem isn't there anymore.  

I'll take a look at that site link and see what I can find out.  

Thanks

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 03:06:57 PM »
Thank you from me too.  :rose:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 04:42:13 PM »
Wasn't technology invented to make our lives simple?

---->>> LIED-TO AGAIN!!! <----

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 05:48:17 PM »
Technology is great....until you leave the safe haven of having Techs on call. Then it becomes scary if nobody home at the time they are needed ;D

Now, do I press 'Next' ??   rolleyes:   Hmmmm! Maybe I will tick everything.....Whaaaat!  :oops:

Do they publish "Computers for Dummy Dummies?"  :crazy:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 07:17:33 PM »
Cupie, the problem you've described may be due to some items being called or linked or referred to by a direct path rather than a relative path, or being called or linked or referred to from an insecure area. This sometimes happens with poor coding. It doesn't necessarily mean that the site is insecure, but it does mean, as I said, poor coding - and obviously it gives a bad impression.

I remember something similar happening on a site on which I once worked. It took me hours to identify the suspect reference.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »
Nothing personal, but.....

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 11:46:42 PM »
Well, as long as we know it's an IMPERSONAL death's head giving the finger of death...