Author Topic: What selling method gets the best return ??  (Read 9219 times)

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
What selling method gets the best return ??
« on: May 19, 2009, 01:34:54 PM »
This comment is made from the seller’s point of view… And is put forward as a discussion item.

It can be argued that the sellers on eBay are not getting the best deal for their items, because of the system of auction used by eBay.

eBay’s system is not really an auction, but is more akin to a tender process. In as much as a “bidder” puts in a tender, and at a predetermined time, the highest tender is the winner.

This does not always favour the seller, as a bidder may pay less than they are prepared to pay, due to the eBay “proxy” bidding system only increasing the price as little as necessary (one bidding increment) to win..

Now, let’s consider another way to auction an item…

Set a start price 150% more than the amount you are prepared to accept. And have the system automatically reduce the price 7.5% per day until a buyer grabs it… The buyer pays only what he is prepared to pay as his maximum. But if the buyer is a cheapskate, he will miss out, as another more realistic person takes the item.

The buyer treats this system in the same way as a BIN.

The seller will always get the maximum for his item, And such a system would stop shilling stone cold dead.

ebay could make the method an option for sellers.

Now is the time to kick the brick for suggesting such a thing. But bear in mind, this method is already in use in Australia. The biggest example is that all fish sold at the Sydney fish market use this method. It is likely that the large wholesale cattle marketing will go the same way soon.

:wine:

If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: What selling method gets the best return ??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 01:42:40 PM »
I could see this working in a situation where the buyers outnumber the items on offer, and there's no guarantee that the item will be back.

It actually reminds me of the ancient Chinese approach to doctors. Doctors were paid a regular amount while the patients were well, but this payment ceased from any patient when that patient became ill (or dead of course). This was a terrific incentive for the doctors to keep their patients healthy.

It's another way at looking at health and medicine... just as setting a high price and seeing it reduced until someone rushes in and grabs the item at the price of the moment is another way of looking at selling.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 01:50:54 PM »
G'day Barny & Countess.

That is a very interesting concept. I've never heard of it before. Executed correctly sellers could make good money & successful buyers would be happy. No shill  bidding to be wary of. 

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:17:26 PM »
That would be interesting to see on eBay. I have often looked at those ads on TV where you can place a bid for a holiday with the lowest unique bid winning.

I have also bid on the Planet Bid site (each time I look at the site with regret, thinking, why didn't I think of that first!)  >:(

When the site first started, bids were $1 and the auctions increased in increments of 1c. Now, bids are $1.20 and increases are 9c each bid. Bids also extend the finish time of the auction. The site owners must be making a fortune! For example, yesterday a Playstation 3 went for $136.44. That is 1,516 bids at $1.20 each = $1,819.20 + $136.44. For an item that retails for around $600. The bidders still usually get a bargain, if they win!