Author Topic: Social Media - drawbacks?  (Read 9043 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Social Media - drawbacks?
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:10:28 PM »
http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbusiness/8301981/heavy-facebook-users-prone-to-drug-use-study

Heavy Facebook and Twitter users are more prone to drug use, according to a study by Columbia University, sparking debate over the relationship between social media and risky behaviour.

Teens who report using social media are five times likelier to use tobacco, three times likelier to drink alcohol and twice as likely to try marijuana, according Columbia University’s National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse’s survey.

The study of 1,000 children aged 12 to 17 revealed 70 percent of those who said they engaged in these risky behaviours also reported using social media sites like Facebook, Google+ and MySpace daily, while the remaining 30 percent did not.

One of the main reasons the teens gave for visiting the sites, besides actually communicating with friends, is to keep tabs on peers by looking at photographs. The study reported that many of these pictures were of teenagers “drunk, passed out, or using drugs on Facebook and other sites.”

Joseph Califano, founder of the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, or CASA, concluded that viewing these pictures contributed to increased use of the risky behaviours, and urged more active monitoring and removal of the images.

“America’s drug problem is not going to be solved in courtrooms or legislative hearing rooms by judges and politicians,” Califano said. “It will be solved in living rooms and dining rooms and across kitchen tables — by parents and families.”

Critics point out the study shows a correlation between the risky behaviour and the social media sites, but doesn’t necessarily indicate a cause-and-effect relationship. They point out other factors which motivated the 30 percent to abstain from Facebook may have attributed to their avoidance of smoking, drinking and drugs.

Finally, detractors point out the study doesn’t indicate the findings by age, suggesting the younger respondents, those aged 12, may be generally less inclined or have fewer opportunity to engage in risky behaviours.

The survey isn’t the first to hold a harsh light to the role social media plays in the lives of teenagers.

Most recently, Facebook, which teens increasing view as an integral part of their social world, was criticized for helping create a generation of people with short attention spans,, needing validation and instant gratification.

The social network was also blamed for making breakups messier, as teenagers increasingly post mean or embarrassing statuses about their exes.

While these developments, like the survey results, may deserve some consideration, parents aren’t viewing social media in a reactionary manner. The CASA study also found that 9 out of 10 parents don’t believe social networking causes drinking and drug use.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: Social Media - drawbacks?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:03:26 PM »
*snipe*

“America’s drug problem ...... will be solved in living rooms, dining rooms, across kitchen tables and in The Wood Shed— by parents and families.”
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:05:41 PM »
*cheap*

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:09:01 PM »
*cheap*

Yer a "fine one"
to be that way.
Facebook made
you cry and
run away.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 10:15:47 PM »

Truth of it is I can't keep up with to many places at once, the amount of screens and forums I've got open and emails arriving is over the top now !... there's only so much of me to go around...

{ know where I can get a cheap Secretary ? }

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:21:11 PM »
Sure I do.

Down in Crackhead Alley, behind the Copy Shack.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 03:59:28 PM »
Anyone in need of a keelhauling?

I've been otherwise engaged & lost track of any prospective keelhaulees.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 08:53:16 PM »
Online bullies could probably do with a good keelhauling.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8525263/facebook-killer-sentenced-to-28-years

Facebook killer jailed for 'heinous crime'
13:41 AEST Fri Aug 31 2012

By Lauren Farrow

A man who created a fake Facebook account to lure a "vulnerable and defenceless" teenage girl into bushland before killing her has been sentenced to 28 years behind bars.

Christopher James Dannevig, 22, pleaded guilty last year to murdering 18-year-old Nona Belomesoff in bushland in Campbelltown in May 2010.

In handing down the sentence at the Supreme Court in Sydney on Friday, Justice Peter Hall said: "The offender's action in bringing about the death of a completely vulnerable and defenceless young woman involved brutality of a high order that makes this crime a most heinous one."

He sentenced Dannevig to a maximum of 28 years in jail, with a non-parole period of 21 years.

Justice Hall said the 22-year-old had employed a degree of "cunning" and "single-mindedness" in the lead-up to Ms Belomesoff's murder.

After learning of the teenager's passion for animals, Dannevig created a Facebook account in which he posed as Jason Green - a team leader for Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES).

He then offered her a job and orchestrated several meetings.

In the final of six meetings on May 12, 2010, Ms Belomesoff had believed she was going to an overnight training camp as part of her recruitment into WIRES.

"This was the first time the deceased had slept by herself or away from her family home," Justice Hall said.

Although Dannevig has never told a court what happened next, Mr Hall said it would seem that once at Smiths Creek Reserve, he pushed the teen, causing her head to hit a rock.

"(He then) took hold of her in the water and brought about her death by drowning," Justice Hall said.

Ms Belomesoff was wearing a blindfold at the time, adding to her vulnerability, he said.

Having learned her ATM card PIN number, Dannevig withdrew $170 from her account shortly after her death.

The court heard Dannevig had a mild intellectual disability and was "not functioning at a level that 99 per cent of the community is functioning at".

But Justice Hall said the evidence didn't establish that he lacked the capacity to reason or make judgments.

He said it was difficult to determine the 22-year-old's intent or remorse, as he had never given evidence or given an account of what he had intended to do or why he killed the 18-year-old.

There was also significant risk Dannevig would reoffend, Justice Hall said, citing how in 2009, he had been jailed for detaining a 16-year-old girl for advantage the previous year.

Dannevig had made contact with Ms Belomesoff via another social networking site Oasis Active just eight days after he was released on parole in February 2010.

Speaking outside court, Ms Belomesoff's aunt Angie Juvanshu said the sentence went "some way" to bringing comfort to a family still struggling with their loss.

"Today is Nona's little baby brother's birthday," she told reporters.

"Nona, she is a very shy, bashful girl but very happy. She could have been and would have been an advocate for all the animals.

"She was just a lovely girl... she had a quirky sense of humour. It was a great loss for our family."

Taking into account time already spent in custody, Dannevig will be eligible for release on August 7, 2032.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 04:47:42 PM »
An awful thing to happen...

The main message I suppose one could draw from this is not to trust a persona on Facebook. An ID on Facebook is not a trustworthy introduction - and as you can see, people will claim to be all sorts of things to convey a trustworthy appearance. It seems so bizarre that anyone would DO this, but... fake Facebook IDs are so easy to create. (I don't know this from personal experience.) Because they're easy to create, they are among the modern criminal's disguises of choice when luring victims or setting up scams.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 04:48:32 PM »
Imnot reading all that
We already know that twitter and facebook are full of bozos