Author Topic: MasterCard Safety  (Read 7200 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
MasterCard Safety
« on: September 05, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »
I am impressed... I was buying from a Croatian bookshop, and then an hour later bought some tickets for the Elgar Cello Concerto (Melbourne Town Hall performance).

Within 1 minute, my bank had sent me an SMS saying they'd blocked my card as a result of suspicious activity, and for me to phone them using the number on the back of my card.

I phoned, and spoke within 3 minutes to a real live Australian employee; said that Yes, the two recent transactions were correct and authorised, that I wasn't overseas (I had phoned through a purchase to the bookshop which was in Croatia), and the friendly employee said All good! and unblocked my card.

If my card had been hijacked, I would have been tremendously relieved to know my card issuer/bank was so responsive, and the inconvenience of calling the bank was nothing in comparison with that feeling of security.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: MasterCard Safety
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:46:32 PM »
*safety snipe*

I had a similar experience.

Long ago, when I had lots of money, I went to Elko on a whirlwind shopping spree for building materials and stuff.

My last stop was Home Depot, where my Debit card was declined for a $1000 + purchase.

I wrote a cheque and got out.

Next day I called my bank and asked "WTF was that about?"

They said my account showed "Unusual Activity".

I said
THAT WAS ME, SHOPPING!!!

Never did that again.
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 03:57:26 PM »
* My sleeping bank follow up snipe *

Years ago I was registering a domain and the registrar shopping cart software rejected my credit card, not my bank (they were sleeping). The shopping cart software doesn't like Malaysian credit card. Fine. They do love paypal. So I registered the domain with paypal using the same credit card. The software is happy so I got the domain registered.

Maybe I should do a double charge back, one on my credit card and another on paypal. And I keep the domain.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 04:06:26 PM »
:yess:

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »
I do all my banking with a balaclava on and a sawn off shottie tucked under the wing
Rarely are questions asked

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 04:53:32 PM »
I'm so sure.....