Author Topic: EBay Messaging System - How reliable is it?  (Read 6319 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
EBay Messaging System - How reliable is it?
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:18:42 AM »
Our Countessa received a message from eBay - and has presented the matter in the thread: MC139 NOTICE: eBay Communication Partner Warning - oh no, you've been TALKING!

In it, she has raised some questions regarding the reliability of the eBay messaging system.  Considering that eBay are moving further and further towards a forced and total dependency on their messaging system for communication, it would seem that the question of reliability is even more important - and it was already a 'mission critical' service!

I reproduce the Countessa's points here:

Point 1: If I look through my messages, the strange thing is that I can see no message by the eBayer concerned. That's one problem. eBay's message to me gives me the distinct impression that the eBayer DID contact me.

Point 2: I actually contacted the seller - some time ago. I messaged the seller about an item he/she had listed, on the 3rd June. But I never actually received any reply.

Point 3: I now uneasily suspect that the seller DID reply to me, but that eBay blocked the reply.

Point 4: And if that's the case - that has affected my purchasing or feedback. In other words, I either purchased from this seller (but marked down on communication in the DSRs) or didn't purchase from the seller on the basis that my question wasn't answered and that I felt no confidence in the seller as a result of it being ignored.

Point 5: On the other hand, perhaps the seller never did bother to reply to me, and eBay's automatic "Thou Shalt Feel Suspicious Of This eBayer" spiel has somehow mistaken a message from me to the seller as being a message from the seller to me.

Either way, the average eBayer is going to end up feeling confused and annoyed, not to say suspicious...

Point 4 encapsulates my concerns.

There is also an additional issue:  In a classic example - my seller friend got hit by a Neg for an item damaged in the mail, because they did not respond to the buyer's complaints.  Now you would think that not unreasonable - except that they did not receive any messages about the problem - not a one.  Needless to say, they freaked out somewhat.

Now I cannot verify that the buyer DID actually send any messages - so it must be taken in good faith that they did - but there was certainly nothing delivered.

Did the buyer actually send a message of complaint?  Were they just saying that to get a second item free or, perhaps, to ding a competitor?

Or, as in the point made by Countessa
 - (a) did the seller actually get the question?
 - (b) did the seller ignore the question? or
 - (c) did the seller's reply not reach the buyer?  
From the buyer's perspective, ALL these possibilities would look the same - and they would all be interpreted as (b) - because we expect communication channels to be reliable.

So, with communication being the key to:
 - Sales
 - Communication DSRs
 - Problem resolution
 - promoting customer loyalty (and all the things that follow - such as repeat sales, referrals and recommendations, etc.)
... reliability of the communications channel is paramount!

BUT, the question must be asked - what evidence do we have?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: EBay Messaging System - How reliable is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 12:42:44 AM »
I can only go by my own experiences, of course - but I WAS surprised not to hear from the seller in relation to my question.

The seller had received glowing feedback for his or her communication from other buyers.

Something definitely does not add up here. I am inclined to think it is eBay's message system.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 02:54:53 AM »
The messaging system can be notoriously unreliable, if you read the eBay boards there are often posts regarding the non receipt of messages via Ebay, several of the regular posters there have reported similar from time to time.

I know for a fact my favorite seller has sent me messages at times and certainly some were not received on my end, one Ebay poster even stated they finally got a message from a buyer a MONTH after it was sent as it had the original date on it, and several others expressed similar occurrences.. go figure.

Perhaps if the messaging is too frequent in a short space they somehow get flagged?

For the most part the greater majority seem to get through, perhaps some get snagged in the EBay bot word search and get inadvertently redirected to the naughty corner.. who knows, i try not to use EBay period on Fridays as EBay is plagued with glitches at that time.

Last Friday 'my EBay' was all blank for  approximately 2 hours, nothing there just the headers, others also reported it happening to them as well.

All i can suggest is try going through 'Message a seller" and state the listing rather than going via the actual listing page perhaps.

Another point may be that if they have a lot of message traffic your message may have been accidently overlooked, it has happened to me before where I missed a message, I was sure wasn't there the day before and voila there it was staring me in the face the next.

They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 07:04:04 AM »
Repost:

Shonky.

That's eBay's messaging system. I've had nothing but trouble with it near the end of my eBaying Days.

They got to have their probing grubbies in every aspect of the site ("just a venue") and it's sick!

I was once a member of several Groups with the word "Fraud" in their titles, and I was cut off from participating. Soon after, all those groups were dissolved -- no surprise there.

What was worse was trying to 'ask seller a question'. What a nightmare that was.

I'm glad I got the boot. Screw those guys!
Nothing but a Criminal Enterprise I tell you!

No. The eBay messaging system is NOT to be trusted.

"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:05:52 AM »
My experience with abusing ebay message system has been very, very, very positive. So far so good, ebay doesn't complain and no missing message.

I deal with a coin dealer via ebay message system and sometimes we exchange few messages within a day, mostly private sale and nothing to do with ebay purchase. It is not that I want to use ebay message for private deal (I know it is not ethical) but that dealer prefer to do it this way.

I can't complain.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:31:57 AM »
Izzint this a Complaint Thread?

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »
Izzint this a Complaint Thread?

Yes it is. I like to complain. Ebay is ignoring me. I have been abusing their messaging system for years and they never, ever, for once, block my message. I am not happy. I hope ebay read this thread and block all the sales messages sent to my inbox.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 11:40:59 AM »
This thread covers complaints, observations, problems and hard facts.

It does not encourage suspicions, but theories are welcomed.

Balancing good reports with complaints is to be encouraged - because of one simple reason (at least): It demonstrates the fact that the eBay messaging system is only sometimes faulty.

By acknowledging that, we are being more objective in our thinking..... and that is a positive element.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 12:33:19 PM »
Over the years, I found out coin sellers are very likely to reply ebay message than if I email them direct. As far as I can tell, ebay has never block my incoming and outgoing message. They even allowed a member here to send me a hate message via their system. Talk about abusing their messaging system. How rude!

I bought and sold many coins with ebay messaging system, not ebay website. Perhaps they just love to have some culprits (like me) in their system?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 12:39:32 PM »
The Plot thickens....

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
Ummm. Excuse me.

Take Notice: The latest 3 Amigos meeting has just adjourned.
Those guys put me up to this:
Question: Is this a Junk Thread, yet?
We wanna move in and redecorate.

Is that OK with you all?

I mean...I AM asking this time.....

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 06:43:25 PM »
C):-{= <" levity or antagonism? stay tuned for upcoming featurettes! "<<