Author Topic: PreyPal: Upcoming Policy Updates  (Read 6203 times)

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
PreyPal: Upcoming Policy Updates
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:25:27 AM »
PreyPal: Upcoming Policy Updates

Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement
Effective Date: Jul 26, 2011

https://cms.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&fli=true&content_ID=ua/upcoming_policies_full&locale.x=en_AU

“Reimbursements to eBay for determinations under an eBay buyer protection policy
“If you receive payments into your Account from selling through an eBay website and the eBay website offers a buyer protection policy, the relevant eBay website will require you to comply with their policy and their buyer protection resolution process, see for example the US eBay website’s Buyer Protection Policy. This means that the relevant eBay entity may make a determination under an eBay buyer protection policy to refund a buyer and require you, as the seller, to reimburse the relevant eBay entity for the amount refunded to the buyer. If eBay determines that you are required to make a reimbursement to eBay, you agree with eBay to authorise us, and you do authorise us, to debit the amount of the reimbursement to eBay from your Account and to pay that amount to eBay. You will not receive a refund of your PayPal fees. For more information please read the relevant eBay buyer protection policies.”

Better late than never, I guess, for the eBafia to validate its prior actions by now changing the PreyPal UA.

Without attempting to read all of this latest crap, the first paragraph clearly gives the eBafia the authority to make refunds to buyers from a PreyPal user’s account. If the eBafia then has that right, I assume that, even if there are no funds in the user’s PreyPal account, PreyPal will somewhere have given themselves the right to draw the necessary funds from the user’s banking account or credit card account. Yuk!

It would appear that now would be the time for all PreyPal users to withdraw from PreyPal any authority to draw funds from a banking account and to give PreyPal the authority to draw funds ONLY from a credit card account, where you still have some chance of obtaining a fair mediation process via your bank’s credit card transaction dispute mediation process.

Not only that but any resulting great increase in credit card user disputes against PreyPal—as simply a large “credit card merchant”—may well put a strain on the banks’ credit card mediation processes to the point that the banks may come to consider PreyPal’s performance—as a credit card merchant—as simply “unprofessional” and creating too much trouble for said banks. After all, responsible banks don’t give credit card merchant accounts to “unprofessional” entities, at least not without charging them higher fees to cover the extra work created for the banks due to such merchant’s unprofessionalism.

All a merchant needs to know about the clunky PayPal, at:
http://forums.auctionbytes.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=165263

What all buyers should know about the criminal activities of eBay, at:
http://forums.auctionbytes.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23540

Enron / eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking.
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: PreyPal: Upcoming Policy Updates
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:11:37 PM »

"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:13:04 PM »
 :) Smile Philip, I don't think the sky is falling.

Do I sell on eBay US? NO
Do I pay my eBay fees via Creditcard? YES
Do I have my PayPal linked to my everyday banking accounts? NO

I think this sentence sums it all up as far as I'm concerned:
"If you do not want us to debit your Account balance for any Payment Owed To eBay you should not list on the eBay website"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »
Wheels, do you sell internationally at all?

I have heard - but can't confirm from personal experience - that eBay US's protection policy applies even if you only list on the AU eBay but do offer an item for worldwide sale.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »
No, we only sell to Australia, and the odd kiwi.

From what I've read, the eBay Buyer Protection Policy applies if the buyer buys on ebay.com, regardless of where the seller is based or sells to. If an AU seller sells worldwide then the policy applies to them, and has for the past year or so. It won't affect us, unless it is introduced here, as our listings do not appear on ebay.com.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 04:59:21 PM »
I think the UK has a similar Buyer Protection Policy so any seller who lists worldwide needs to be aware of the policies that apply for each eBay site.

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:43:57 PM »
eBay Buyer Protection Policy

Can you image the sort of transaction mediation that eBay is going to provide for such "buyer protection" disputes? It will undoubtedly be a two-tiered system: one tier for “diamond” sellers, hard wired to favor such diamonds (“no touchy Jacky Sheng”), and another tier for the remaining merchant rabble, hard wired to favor the complaining buyers (legitimate or otherwise). How else could such a system designed by eBay work, other than via another simple but disingenuous computer algorithm; after all, there is no way that eBay would ever allocate sufficient human resources to fairly implement such a program, now, would they?

Enron / eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking.
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 08:41:18 PM »
I'm waiting for the stories of 'buck passing' between eBay and PayPal when it comes to sorting out problems ...

When I think about battle of the seller in the "PayPal's 'Mission Impossible' - A Duty of Care" thread, it is downright scary to think how that could have been fought with PayPal AND eBay both involved.