Author Topic: Who wants to be a powerseller?  (Read 8929 times)

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
Who wants to be a powerseller?
« on: June 19, 2011, 10:46:17 AM »
Looks like ebay is scrapping the bottom of the barrel to keep the number of powersellers at the same level as prior to changes. Now making 'ordinary sellers' powersellers. and they DON'T WANT to be!

Read Paul's experience - Special Treatment

http://mybrc.myobnet.com/2011/06/02/special-treatment/

"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Who wants to be a powerseller?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »
Anyone who sells regularly on eBay now is a Powerseller and it's been that way for well over a year.

There are few advantages to being a Powerseller unless you rely on being a Top Rated Seller to get better placement in Best Match searches.

I'm pretty sure that if 'Paul' doesn't want to be a Powerseller he can contact eBay and they will remove his status.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »
I have heard of sellers who very much prefer not to be PowerSellers as they feel - rightly or wrongly - that it negatively affects how their potential buyers would assess them and be willing to buy from them.

I have no doubt that an "I am just your friendly next-door seller" approach works for some. For others, the "I am a trusted powerseller with experience here" works better. It depends on the potential customer base, and the type of items being sold, I think.

As far as I'm aware, Ewok, a seller can opt out of being a PowerSeller. But I can't speak from experience... No one's offered me PowerSeller status! (Of course, I admit that it would be very weird if they did - I don't sell on eBay!)

I am a little surprised, though, that Paul Hassing wanted to list items at 99 cents. The attraction of 99 cent free listings seems to me to appeal primarily to sellers who are "newbies" - who are lured by the promise of no listing fees but haven't actually sat down and worked out that the Final Value Fee is higher than if they'd listed for $1. I know that if I were selling (listing and expecting to sell), I'd much prefer to have a low FVF for the whole thing than save a token amount as the listing fee. There's also that risk of listing at a price at which I wouldn't be willing to sell.

Is the golden rule not that, unless you've got a rare golden egg on your hands (something you KNOW is in extraordinary demand and will definitely, absolutely, positively receive megabids), you should list at a price that is effectively your reserve?

Paul Hassing is right, though, in talking about his perception that he was punished for his loyalty. eBay has the right, of course, to hand out whatever special treatment it wants to whomever it wants, and to exclude PowerSellers from such offers - but it can certainly leave a seller confused and deceived and upset to have RECEIVED AN EMAIL in which a special offer was effectively offered, but from which he was excluded in the fine print. eBay shouldn't have sent him an email with the offer if it didn't apply to him.

It seems to be one of those weird glitchy who-can-work-it-out things with regard to the sending out of such emails. If people have multiple eBay accounts, I am aware that some of those accounts receive the offers while others don't. And it's not always related to PowerSeller status or purchase history or selling history... In fact, it's a mystery to which it IS related!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »
It seems to be one of those weird glitchy who-can-work-it-out things with regard to the sending out of such emails. If people have multiple eBay accounts, I am aware that some of those accounts receive the offers while others don't. And it's not always related to PowerSeller status or purchase history or selling history... In fact, it's a mystery to which it IS related!

I think you said it all - one of those weird glitchy who-can-work-it-out things..........

This is the SECOND time this has occured to him - you'd think (well ebay don't think, so I stand ocrrected) but you'd think they'd flag his account NOT to be 'upgraded' to a PS account.

I don't know - seems like ebay trying to make figures look better than they are?

Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »
I think a lot of sellers may be being placated with a PowerSeller status in lieu of what I'd consider a decent level of customer service. (I could be wrong - and my own expectations of a "decent level of customer service" might be different to a lot of other people's.)

Perhaps the figures are intended to give the best impression possible of a high level of professional small sellers on eBay - but in my opinion small sellers get no (or few) concessions on eBay in comparison with the big diamond sellers and the Asian sellers. It makes it harder for the average Australian seller to compete. There isn't an even playing field... so I suppose that the successful sellers have to be very flexible, very organised, etc., ready to change their listing process at the drop of a hat if their current strategy shows it's no longer working... It would drive me to Mad Hatter territory to have to cope with that!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 03:22:22 PM »
My seller friend is a Powerseller.  They got there under the old rules, however it was a status they, too, were unsure about.  It is the same issue about the trade-off between two 'images' ... one of your kindly neighbourhood friend and the other of the professional who knows their business.

I'm not sure what the current situation is, but they have the option of displaying the Powerseller icon - or not.  I believe this is the only indicator to buyers that the seller is a Powerseller (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

My seller friend is somewhat exasperated at some of the 'new breed' of Powerseller - the ones that approach their 'noble' status with an air of arrogance and naivety. I must be clear about that as, although they are typically noted as having low feedback scores, there are some rather experienced and successful Powersellers which also have comparatively low feedback scores.  This is especially true if they have more than one account - and post on the discussion (incl. Powerseller) boards with the account of least risk.

I understand it though, all the points made to Paul by eBay on the 'benefits' of being a Powerseller are not available to Aussies.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »
I understand it though, all the points made to Paul by eBay on the 'benefits' of being a Powerseller are not available to Aussies.

Paul is a resident of Melbourne, Victoria

Paul's point is that he doesn't WANT to be a powerseller, he doesn't sell that often on ebay, only has one account, he is your neighbour next type seller. He didn't ask to be a powerseller, and it's not the frist time that ebay have 'upgraded' his account. In my eyes and no doubt Pauls, this is an upgrade of the unwarranted, uninvited kind, that only causes more problems that it's worth AND it's of NO value UNLESS you sell more than you buy.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 03:30:08 PM »

Paul is a resident on Melbourne, Victoria

Sorry if I missed that bit ... but then why is eBay talking about reduced fees?  Powersellers just don't get any fee discounts in Australia.

.... as far as I know.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 03:35:53 PM »
He logged the help desk contacts. Here is an exert:-

Ebay - Also if you have a store insertion fees and final value fees are lesser too./

Paul - Right. Would you concede that, whatever discounts I now receive as a PowerSeller, they’re not quite as attractive as FREE?

Pauls Blog Comments - When eBay made me a PowerSeller, they didn’t consult me or explain the terms.

They assumed the new ‘benefits’ (of which I’m still unaware) transcended those I’d enjoyed as a lesser mortal.

Obviously they were wrong, and I feel decidedly unspecial about my treatment.

A celebration of steadfast loyalty has been botched for the sake of policy, procedure and a few bucks.

Nor do I feel keen to press on with further sales.

Paul is saying he wasn't asked to be a powerseller, they made a decision without consultation, they cut him out from the 'free' advertising that NON-Powersellerds are entitled to AFTER nviting him to participate via email!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 04:10:03 PM »
I understand he didn't want it - and that the Clayton's invitation was a sore point.

But you can bet your boots eBay does things for their own benefit.

I also find it rather funny how they bring up the fees with a store ... having a store has nothing to do with being a Powerseller.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »
But you can bet your boots eBay does things for their own benefit.

Of course ebay ONLY do things for their own benefit - they wouldn't be ebay if they didn't - same as their partner in crime Paypal - The customer is never the main concern when it comes to those two identities.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 07:36:35 PM »
I'm not sure I would be wanting to sell anything using the advertised 99c offer.

Items must be listed for a start price of 99c or less. There is no listing fee or gallery fee but the FVF is higher than normal. I did a comparison when the offer first came out and I think it was that a 99c listing had to sell for less than $34 to be making a saving using the special offer. If anything sold for more than $34 then the seller would be worse off. The other negative is that the items may not sell for any higher than 99c. The only positive is that the listing is free even if the item doesn't sell.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 07:44:17 PM »
My seller friend is a Powerseller.  They got there under the old rules, however it was a status they, too, were unsure about.  It is the same issue about the trade-off between two 'images' ... one of your kindly neighbourhood friend and the other of the professional who knows their business.

I'm not sure what the current situation is, but they have the option of displaying the Powerseller icon - or not.  I believe this is the only indicator to buyers that the seller is a Powerseller (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Brums, you are wrong there. We reached Bronze Powerseller just before the new requirements came in and we opted to not display the icon. Lo and behold a couple of weeks later the requirements changed and the option was removed! I think now if a seller does not want to display the icon they need to contact eBay and have their Powerseller status removed.

My seller friend is somewhat exasperated at some of the 'new breed' of Powerseller - the ones that approach their 'noble' status with an air of arrogance and naivety. I must be clear about that as, although they are typically noted as having low feedback scores, there are some rather experienced and successful Powersellers which also have comparatively low feedback scores.  This is especially true if they have more than one account - and post on the discussion (incl. Powerseller) boards with the account of least risk.

I can't see much of a distinction between "new" and "old" powerseller attitudes on the PS board. It is basically a chat board with a bit of whinging about eBay and bad buyers. I have learned very little there - except to wonder why some of the sellers continue to sell on eBay if they detest it so much! I have learned far more from the sellers here.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 07:48:58 PM »
The only positive is that the listing is free even if the item doesn't sell.

I think that is the crux of the argument - FREE - as a non-powerseller Paul was entitled to this - even if there are disincentives.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »

"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 03:51:31 AM »
Thanks Wheels, I wasn't too sure about the logo bit ... but now I know.

As for the nature of PS board posting, I am only going on hearsay - and the comments I have encountered in conversation.

The only positive is that the listing is free even if the item doesn't sell.

I think that is the crux of the argument - FREE - as a non-powerseller Paul was entitled to this - even if there are disincentives.

I suppose there's the key .... If Paul found the disincentives were acceptable conditions, then the 'FREE' aspect becomes a rather obvious issue.