Author Topic: How long should threads stay ???  (Read 11411 times)

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
How long should threads stay ???
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:42:24 PM »
I would like to open a discussion about how long threads stay on the boards.

I think I recall our Countess saying (in that other place) that threads should stay for much longer than 30 days. Of course "over there" they stay for ever if pinned..

In the interests of house keeping and making it easy for users to navigate the site, is 30 days, 60 days, 90 days.. Or what, a reasonable span ???

Or should the 30 day period be used for chat threads, and 90 days for online selling related stuff.

What do you think peoples ???

Cheers
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: How long should threads stay ???
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 06:50:59 PM »
Hi Barny, I was under the impression that a post / thread gradually moved down the page depending how often anyone answered to it and eventually would go on to the 2nd and 3rd and so on page? ... Pete.

Poddy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 06:52:49 PM »
Excellent question Barny.

I guess it depends on the resources available, as far as storage is concerned, of the site

It wouldn't be a bad idea to archive all threads after they have reached a certain age on to some form of storage media like DVD, perhaps a blu-ray writable disk would be a solution.

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 06:53:15 PM »
Ah Yibida, my friend,

You are quite correct... But if all threads stay forever (or say, a year) we will have an awful lot of pages..

Cheers
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 06:56:48 PM »
Ah Yibida, my friend,

You are quite correct... But if all threads stay forever (or say, a year) we will have an awful lot of pages..

Cheers

Ahhh !...ok now I understand.... archiving would be the preferred method I would think, as for time well I don't know? anything between 30 and 60 days would be ok with me...

imperfect

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 07:14:04 PM »
IMO

Threads should go after 30days of being uptouched if in the court yard and 60 if unviewed for 60days from RT??

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 07:18:04 PM »
We can certainly archive threads older than a certain timeframe - it might be through experience that we work out together what the best timeframe would be.

A good point, Barny!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 07:50:21 PM »
Ok here goes a stab... at the bottom left corner of the RT and Fountain pages are previous / past pages..now what if say you limit that to say {example} :4 or 6 or 8 or 10 pages......then as each subject gets the least amount of attention and progresses through the pages to eventually dropping of that board...can an auto archive system be done to catch that post and store it?....sound feasible?...

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 08:05:04 PM »
Well... it's currently set up to offer options between keeping and deleting, according to how long it's been since someone's posted in a thread.

I will see what we can do to tweak the php. It may well be possible to auto-archive.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Numb!

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 10:00:15 PM »
Archive or Prune?  There is an auto-prune setting in here, but I believe it actually deletes the threads.