Author Topic: Aus Post parcel post rates increase 4th April 2011  (Read 5360 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Aus Post parcel post rates increase 4th April 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:29:08 PM »
What can I say?

The price increases make Australia Post costlier than ever - certainly costlier than a lot of other postage services internationally.

I can understand that the increase in transportation cost makes this inevitable, though.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 05:38:06 PM »
I can understand that the increase in transportation cost makes this inevitable, though.

Sorry no, I cannot understand that.

Registered mail 500g small parcel - Australia to Malaysia - A$16.00 or so. I take the average here, as I get different quote from different seller depending on the location.

Registered mail 500g small parcel - Malaysia to Australia - RM$8.50. We don't even look at currency conversion here. Just the number alone. I have posted to various place in Australia and the rate is the same.

I don't understand. Is there anything I missed here?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »
You'll have to ask Australia Post why this difference occurs. (Let us know what they say if you do!)

It is possibly at least partly due to population density. Fewer people = fewer total fees obtained = requirement for higher cost. That's just one theory, though.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 06:46:12 PM »
Well I can see why they need to increase prices.

They've already predicted a profit fall for the 2011/12 year, down from 333 million to just 321 million dollars!

source: http://www.accc.gov.au/content/item.phtml?itemId=971312&nodeId=4e89df1805bbc494e318c8862a826073&FELAFELEN=Australia%20Post%20draft%20price%20notification.pdf

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 07:55:53 PM »
IMHO Aussie Post don't deserve 1c extra on any posted items.  I posted that bike rack to Liisa friday week and very disappointed that it hasn't arrived yet, although Liisa hasn't actually told me it hasn't arrived.

I know why registered mail takes so long to get to it's destination but, it's only a 2 hour drive from here.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH AUSTRALIA POST.  PULL YOU BL00DY FINGER OUT AND GET A MOVE ON. THERE ARE 2 YOUNG BOYS WAITING TO RIDE THEIR BIKES
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
OK it turns out that the bike rack has been delivered.  Still 7 days for a 2 hour trip is a bit outrageous but at least it got there.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 09:55:47 PM »
Lacey - I've had an ordinary letter take 9 days to travel a distance I could drive in 10 minutes.

My seller friend has had a 9km trip for a parcel take over 2 weeks  .... but they have also had a parcel from Sydney to country Victoria overnight during the Christmas period!

Go figure.

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 10:13:43 PM »
yeah all very strange.

i sold a microchip scanner to a man in Sydney who bred cats.  Luckily I posted it registered but it took 15 days to get there.  he was very nice about it all but I think for some sellers it can and probably does have a negative effect for them.