Author Topic: Not another Feedback thread!  (Read 5619 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Not another Feedback thread!
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:43:03 PM »
I've been buying a bit lot lately with the US and Aus dollar around parity and I've noticed more and more US sellers sending explanatory notes with parcels about feedback and DSRs.

Got this one the other day:

[click to zoom]

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Not another Feedback thread!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:46:08 PM »
Do you think sellers are getting more desperate with trying to get 5 star DSRs on feedback? eBay tells buyers that 4 stars is very good yet 4s can drop a seller's listings lower in Best Match.

We include a 'Thank You for your purchase and payment' type note but do not mention feedback or stars. But then, we don't have to worry about Best March either.

And the seller who sent the DSR note above got all 5 stars for excellent service, price, items and delivery. I just wish he didn't have to feel the need for the note.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:54:30 AM »
Actually, Wheels, I thought THAT particular note was quite well presented.

It gave clear guidelines on how to rate their service without giving explicit directions such as 'please give us 5 stars'.  I get annoyed when I receive a 'please give us 5 stars' request - but that one I found much less affronting.

As for sellers having to go to these lengths, I am not surprised.  My personal opinion as to why includes these points:
 - The unbalanced feedback playing field has resulted in buyers worrying more about their feedback than about even giving sellers ANY feedback. This just means when a Neg comes through, it will not be representative of a sellers true performance and will have a much greater effect on percentage calculations than it should.  For example: 20 sales. 10 feedback including 1 neg. Actual percentage = 95%, Ebay calculated percentage = 90%.
 - Poor education about DSR scores and buyer perception. A 3 is NOT 'ok service'!
 - A reminder to buyers to leave feedback - or maybe even informing them that it is available.  In the early days, people were 'introduced' and led through the steps - or worked their way through carefully, learning the lay of the land.  However, eBay has become such a 'household name' that people will join up and buy, not knowing (or caring) about the 'full experience'.  EBay's push to attract buyer money has exacerbated this no end.
 - Buyers become disassociated from the seller because of eBay's huge presence and 'caring' for the humble buyer.  Sellers are portrayed in a neutral light at best, and often in a poor light.  Such notes at least introduce the concept that there IS some poor soul at the other end of the transaction who is real and who are trying to do their best.

I could go on, but these are the first ones from my thoughts...

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
Brums, I have no problem with the seller enclosing that note. I just think it's sad that sellers feel they have to explain eBay's system to the buyers.

And speaking of feedback. Has anyone ever tried to leave feedback and get an error message? I've double checked and I have definitely not left feedback yet.

We are unable to add your feedback for 1 transaction

Here's why:
          o  Item ................... was not found because:
                + This item number does not exist
                + Or you have already left feedback.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
I have had that on two occasions that I can remember:

One was on glitch day (Friday) and I came back to it a couple of days later and it was OK.

The other was two hours outside the time limit.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 05:49:44 PM »
US sellers are suddenly including notes because a 4 in starts instead of a 5 costs them dearly in increased fees (their structure is different) there is a post on the Ebay boards about it here under discussion:

http://forums.ebay.com.au/topic/Selling/Rather-Disconcerted-About/600136693#1299073923264

Here is how it works for them:

If you are a PowerSeller, check the PowerSeller fee discount section of the Seller Dashboard to see if you qualify based on your last 30 days of DSRs.

How it works
* If you are a PowerSeller and all four of your detailed seller ratings (DSRs) for the past 30 day period are 4.6 or higher, you qualify for a 5% discount on Final Value Fees

* If you are a PowerSeller and all four of your detailed seller ratings (DSRs) for the past 30 day period are 4.8 or higher, you qualify for a 15% discount on Final Value Fees

* If you are a PowerSeller and all four of your detailed seller ratings (DSRs) for the past 30 day period are 4.9 or higher, you qualify for a 20% discount on Final Value Fees (the 20% discount will begin to show on your July, 2008 invoice).

Link to policy here:
http://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/powerseller/benefits/discounts.html
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 05:59:17 PM »
Liisa, if I was selling on eBay.com I'd want a 20% discount too. I was looking at their FVFs the other day. 15%!!!!

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »
Liisa, those FVF discounts are out of date. From your link, the US FVF discounts changed in 2009 and again in 2010.

What's changing in the PowerSeller program in April 2010?

* The volume qualification for all PowerSellers will be a minimum of 100 transactions and $3,000 GMV annually.
    * The performance qualifications for all PowerSellers to remain in the program:
          o A maximum of 1.00% of transactions with U.S. buyers can have low DSRs (1s or 2s) on item condition and a maximum of 2.00% on communication, 2.00% on shipping time, and 2.00% on shipping and handling cost.
          o At least 4.60 average across all four DSRs from U.S. buyers
    * The Final Value Fee discounts will change to 20% for eBay Top-rated sellers and 5% for all other PowerSellers.

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/July2009Update/chart/index.html

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
Thats weird because it was the direct link on their site..... hmm but it is Ebay LOL, even on Ebay AU there are STILL two seperate conflicting links to proof of postage LOL

I heard thought that Ebay.com is having a heavy handed crackdown on less than perfect DSR's so i guess the US sellers are trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

And YES their FVF's are killer.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 08:57:27 PM »
I believe in giving sellers 5 stars in each category unless:

the item doesn't arrive and it's reasonable to suppose the seller didn't actually send the item;
   the item that arrives is absolutely not what I paid for, and the seller doesn't or can't fix the problem;
   the packaging was terribly bad and it resulted in the item being damaged;
   the item was sent much later than payment was made (for instance, a month later, as occurred for one particular item);
   the seller turns out to have stolen the item;
   the seller turns out to be a psychotic deranged killer who hates opera.

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"