Author Topic: Best listing venue for local pick-up only items?  (Read 4441 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Best listing venue for local pick-up only items?
« on: February 15, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
eBay, Quicksales (Oztion), Gumtree, Trading Post?

Has anyone had much experience with selling used, local pick-up only, items? Which do you recommend?

I've listed a few things on Gumtree and they have all sold for the listed price, and best of all - no fees!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Best listing venue for local pick-up only items?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 03:39:02 PM »
My father's listed three things on Trading Post.

Pros - there was no listing cost; it was easy; final fee was fair.
Cons - darn, it was such a HORRIBLY slow site (I don't know if it's any better now); there was no way to obtain the winning bidder's telephone number if they didn't answer their emails, so when someone doesn't know Trading Post works, and just doesn't check emails from someone they don't know, you can't (or couldn't at that time) get in touch to check with them.

It might have fixed some of the website problems by now, and it may now allow telephone details to be obtained by trading partners. If so, well, that's a big move forward.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 04:15:06 PM »
I had some things I had listed on Oztion for ages and ages.  1 was a farm gate and the an old antique? boiler, used in laundries many years ago but, I couldn't get any interested in either of them.

Switched to ebay for the gate and sold it in 2 days but still got the boiler.  I thought someone said ppl like antique stuff.  Maybe it's not old enough.  We ended up using it to hold drinks and ice for a couple of parties. 

There was other stuff but I can't remember what they were but ebay was the go.
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »
Antiques = older than 100 years.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
OK I guess they aren't antiques then but, they are all over 50
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

callostemma

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 08:50:20 PM »
I guess your right about ebay.  Larger audience so more likely to attract someone close who can pick-up.   Good way of avoiding dumping fees,  if its something you just want gone.