Author Topic: Strange dates on on Paypal message.  (Read 13398 times)

79ftruck

• Knight of the RT
Strange dates on on Paypal message.
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:42:57 PM »
Hi,
Today i was paying for a purchase that my other half had made on ebay,the seller only accepted paypal.
As we don't keep funds in paypal i proceeded to e-cheque.
After i confirmed the payment a message at the top of the page said,your payment will clear approximately between 31/12/1969 to 31/12/1969.
I think wonder what is going on here ? so i signed out waited about 10 minutes signed in again & viewed the transaction details through paypal, the dates correct this time so figured it was just a glitch.
This afternoon i was cheching email, paypal email says
 Your eCheque payment is in progress
Thanks for using PayPal. eCheques are not instant payments. The estimated completion date is 1 Jan 1970. We advise sellers not to send items until they receive payment. To view the transaction details, log in to your PayPal account.
What the ?,lol

How's it goin ??

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Strange dates on on Paypal message.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 09:32:35 PM »
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

79ftruck

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »
OK,well it's obviously going to be a waste time contacting paypal.
Just a glitch do you think ?
How's it goin ??

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 10:46:18 PM »
If I were you, I'd be phoning PayPal even though it seems it's "obviously" a glitch.

Just in case the software has gone berserk...

Do you have PayPal's phone number?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

79ftruck

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:57:58 PM »
Yes, Thanks Countessa will phone them first thing in the morning.
How's it goin ??

79ftruck

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:39:52 AM »
Well i phoned Paypal earlier & they said they are aware that some people have received similar email,they don't know why but please disregard the email that states the payment will clear 1st January 1970 as my payment will clear on the 27 January 2011. :deadhorse:
How's it goin ??

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 01:07:30 PM »
It's a bizarre thing... One would expect that a corporation the size of PayPal would have at least some IT department heads to ensure that glitches of this confusing nature don't occur!

Can you imagine the flood of INR disputes potentially arising? "I should have received this 40 years ago - where is it? I want to open a claim!"

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »
If it is programmed in C language or similar language there possibly is buffer overflow problem here when calculating the date. Say an integer data type received a long data.

Microsoft is expert in this buffer overflow problem, they probably produce the most of this.

I am not sure if this is a design flaw in the programming language or the application programmer should take care of this. Anyway a great challenge here for C programmer and this has been a known problem since the day C language was invented.

I have an interesting C language book written by an interesting C programmer detailing some really interesting real life example. Imagine NASA make a mistake in one of their little program. That is not fun.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »
I wish the glitch could zap into the future. I would patch into the lotto results.

I'd be a billionaire within a month.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 06:53:38 PM »
its the millenium bug
tell paypal to contact Smee Enterprises and purchase a pallet of Millenium bug repellant
it comes in aerosol cans $10 a can 24 cans to a box 48 boxes to a pallet $1152 + gst + freight + incidentals

79ftruck

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 05:47:20 PM »
I think they need to contact you Smee as they still have'nt sorted it.

Through checkout

7 Feb 2011 16:56:57 AEDT
Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Your eCheck payment will clear approximately between: (31/12/1969-31/12/1969).We advise sellers not to post items until they receive payment. Get your item(s) faster by making an [ instant payment ].

& after checkout was completed,email from paypal.

Your eCheque payment is in progress
Thanks for using PayPal. eCheques are not instant payments. The estimated completion date is 1 Jan 1970. We advise sellers not to send items until they receive payment. To view the transaction details, log in to your PayPal account.

How's it goin ??

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 09:45:20 PM »
I suppose I'm not really surprised. Clearly giving the buyer and seller correct and adequate information is not terribly high on the list of priorities.