Author Topic: ebay and the latest ...............................................MEDIA REPORTS  (Read 1215484 times)

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
If you can read German, this is interesting...

eBay gewärt Einblick (which means in context eBay grants access)

It starts off by saying, "For the first time figures about turnover of German Powersellers were presented by the on-line auctioneers. These figures are of considerable interest with regard to the sales volume for German eCommerce."

The most important bit is "The most popular product categories with highest commercial volume for this period were "vehicles" followed by "vehicle parts", "clothing and accessories", "sport" as well as "business and industry". Around 1/7 or 435 million euros of the total commercial volume of the professional sellers on eBay comes from export. The largest amount of customers by far are from Austria; other important export countries are the USA, Italy, France and the Netherlands. With about 159,000 commercial traders, eBay.de is by far the biggest eBay site for commercial sellers in Europe. In addition, the average turnover per German Powerseller is apparently higher than per Powerseller in Great Britain, France or Italy."

(Translation mine.)

German sellers are doing very well in contrast to other sellers - at least when it comes to commercial sellers.

By the way - I'm not sure if everyone's aware of this, but in Germany an eBay seller is obliged to state whether he's a hobby seller or a commercial seller. No hiding behind "just selling for fun" unless it's true, because the Tax Office will know!

A related point: you might notice that the lack of mandatory PayPal on the German eBay apparently does nothing to negatively affect sales of German powersellers, many MANY of whom offer only bank transfer as a payment method.

From my experience, poor sellers will learn and have learned to find ways to continue to be poor sellers to the detriment of buyers, irrespective of the payment method. And good sellers will always be good sellers, irrespective of the payment method. I believe it helps buyers, though, to be able to use a method in which they have confidence. From contacts in Germany, the bad feeling against PayPal is quite high, and the trust in bank transfers is very high indeed.

This seems to contrast quite a lot with UK sellers and US sellers, where there are very different perceptions in the smoothness and reliability of bank transfers (esp. in the US).
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
10 RAREST THINGS SOLD ON EBAY

Perth, Australia: a guy selling his life. (Remember this?) His offer included his house, his car, his work and his friends.
The USA: Someone put up his soul for sale... The listing was removed, of course. Will the devil have managed to make his offer?
The USA: things belonging to Michael Jackson used as evidence in the 2003 investigation, up for sale with a reservation price of 1 million dollars.
Germany: a man's partner put up his son for auction, with 1 euro starting price. Woops! - Investigated for baby trafficking!
Virginia, the USA: two sisters discovered inside their cornflakes cereal a single cornflake shaped like the State of Illinois. It sold for about 1,000 dollars.
... and so on.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
I would have bid for the USA blokes soul if I'd known it was listed.

ubbrd AKA Belzeebub likes collecting souls. In fact, that's my job.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Web Merchants Often Fail To Close Deal - PayPal Study

People shopping online are likely to bail out on planned purchases before making the final click to submit their orders, often because they are surprised by high shipping costs and other fees, according to a new survey out Tuesday.

(posters thoughts) ... with that in mind why is that PayPal insists eBay sellers use Registered Post to ensure "seller protection"  ??

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090623-711726.html

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Online shoppers cite high shipping costs as top reason for abandoning carts

http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=30897

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Online shoppers cite high shipping costs as top reason for abandoning carts

;D  I often do that, only because some sites will not give a shipping quote until you have finished checkout. At least on eBay, postage prices are listed upfront, or are known after emailing the seller.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Interesting... I actually stopped mid-transaction today with a French film just as I was about to hit the Confirmation button on Amazon.fr, because of the cost of shipping with that one DVD. For the first time in a long time, I found the DVD I wanted on eBay.fr with lower total cost, from a seller whose feedback reflected  good service, so I bought it on eBay today.

Poddy

Item purchased on ebay

Item cost USD $24
Postage   USD $41

Actual postage paid USD $6.60

From time of sale to delivery 32 days

No more US buying for this cat :(

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Interesting... I actually stopped mid-transaction today with a French film just as I was about to hit the Confirmation button on Amazon.fr, because of the cost of shipping with that one DVD. For the first time in a long time, I found the DVD I wanted on eBay.fr with lower total cost, from a seller whose feedback reflected  good service, so I bought it on eBay today.

Countess you maybe able to help me here, I am trying to sell a dvd at the moment which I dont know anything about and its not selling and I have been a bit slack with this one and havent even detailed a story line ... do you know anything about it , by the title it sounds as if it might be your type of movie and I am wondering if I should just keep it and watch it myself if its any good rather than re list .. its called  " VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA "  do you know of it and if so is it a girly thing or do you think I may find it ok

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
The "I've changed my mind" option on the new Ebay returns policy is a little disturbing....
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Does the Recession Mean Better eBay Deals ?

Mathieu Bourgie pointed out that part of eBay’s current problems stem from policies the company has been following for the past few years. eBay has been hiking fees and sellers have been forced to use PayPal. “eBay easily eats up 10% to 15% of your closing prices,” Bourgie said. “That made a lot of sellers quit eBay, simply because it was no longer profitable. Fewer sellers mean less competition. That, and higher fees, result in higher prices for items, making eBay less attractive to buyers.” Sellers and buyers alike abandoned eBay for competitors as prices rose.

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/smart-spending/bargains/deals/does-recession-mean-better-ebay-deals

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
L'Oreal Appeals Paris High Court Ruling On eBay Case

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090624-709830.html

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
eBay buyers fleeced by teenage internet girl

Ms Eason, from Crescent Head in NSW, said eBay was no longer replying to her emailed complaints about the issue.

She believes the online auction site is not prepared to protect buyers from bogus sellers hiding behind fake identities.

She wants eBay or the girl to compensate victims of the fraud.

Online auction and selling site eBay is unable to explain how the girl managed to defraud users of up to $44,000.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,27574,25694782-3102,00.html

**cupie**

eBay buyers fleeced by teenage internet girl

Ms Eason, from Crescent Head in NSW, said eBay was no longer replying to her emailed complaints about the issue.

She believes the online auction site is not prepared to protect buyers from bogus sellers hiding behind fake identities.

She wants eBay or the girl to compensate victims of the fraud.

Online auction and selling site eBay is unable to explain how the girl managed to defraud users of up to $44,000.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,27574,25694782-3102,00.html

Yep this doesn't surprise me...I may contact the newspaper involved and tell them about this site, so that other defrauded individuals know there's somewhere to find out info when they are defrauded....Note the same bulldust from Daniel the fraud voyeur?   Loves the company line this boy.  Might also contact Choice mag and refresh their memory on a precedental study called Going, going gone.....foretold this fraud in 2006, and which was also provided to the ABC...I notice they didn't miss out on quoting that piece of empirical fact.  ID VERIFICATION...WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?

Mr Feiler said a system of providing 100 points of identification for registration as demanded by some sites would not stop online fraud.

"The best way to eliminate problems is to monitor activity," he said.

"Normally we can spot when there is trouble and we can shut it down and often we alert the police because we know what is normal activity."

He said buyers should always use Paypal because they were protected from fraud for up to $20,000.

Christopher Zinn, from consumer group Choice, said

it was in online retailers' best interests to protect their consumers.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
She said, "I can't tell you exactly why eBay took the listing down, that would jepordize the integrity of our trust and safety policies".

Quotation of the week, this one. They cannot tell this poor seller what he's doing that's "wrong". Philip K. Dick once wrote about "Pre-crime" in the short story Minority Report. It is based, of course, on Orwell's concept of "thoughtcrime" (or "crimethink") from 1984. It has echoes that resonate with this whole concept of being unable to tell a seller what T&S policy is being breached just in listing an item.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Mr Feiler said a system of providing 100 points of identification for registration as demanded by some sites would not stop online fraud.

yes this true   BUT   it would certainly greatly reduce fraud

from my observation eBay have no interest in spending money or resources on stopping fraud when they can sit back with their head in the sand and hope it slips under the radar

and as for Mr. Failer's comment that 'monitoring' these situations is best, how many examples can you think of when people on these boards have discovered fraud happening and trumpeted it's occurrence to eBay and they do nothing

I believe the only time they monitor fraud is well and truly after the horse has bolted and then they try and use it to sing the praises of their shonky payment system paypal

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Spring Hill woman who listed herself on eBay lands a job

But the burst of fame was short-lived. EBay deleted her profile on June 10, saying that policy prohibits a person from selling his or her services.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/workinglife/article1013777.ece

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Fear of debt and fraud change the way online shoppers pay

http://www.internetretailer.com/article.asp?id=30955

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
eBay UK Extends Seller Promotion for Shop Owners

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y09/m06/i29/s04

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
She said, "I can't tell you exactly why eBay took the listing down, that would jepordize the integrity of our trust and safety policies".

Quotation of the week, this one. They cannot tell this poor seller what he's doing that's "wrong". Philip K. Dick once wrote about "Pre-crime" in the short story Minority Report. It is based, of course, on Orwell's concept of "thoughtcrime" (or "crimethink") from 1984. It has echoes that resonate with this whole concept of being unable to tell a seller what T&S policy is being breached just in listing an item.

this is one policy I always found to be extremely bizzarre-

imagine this, you have an argument with a spouse/partner-

Me: You have upset me greatly..
You: But what have I done?

Me: I can't tell you...
You: Why?

Me: because it would invade your privacy and mine.
You: but..it involves us directly, you and I.. no one else..so how does it invade our privacy if it is affecting us directly?

Me: I'm sorry I cannot say..but I want a divorce based on this occurance.
You: but if I don't know what caused the problem how can i rectify it?

Me: *silence*
You: scratches head....

How ridiculous to be sanctioned in some form or other then told.. sorry you did a bad bad thing however we refuse to tell you what it was so you can avoid it in the future...feel free to try and work out exactly what it was you did wrong, in any event you'll probably be way off base.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
The "Top 20" Best Selling Ebay Items In Todays Economy?

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=98308

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

caadlad52

eBay warns buyers off $1 million Obama 'Kenyan birth certificate'

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=102624

"Obama's place of birth, however, is only one of several possible avenues for determining whether or not heis a "natural born citizen" under the U.S. Constitution and eligible to serve as president.

WND has reported on dozens of legal challenges to Obama's status as a "natural born citizen." The Constitution, Article 2, Section 1, states, "No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President."

Some of the lawsuits question whether he was actually born in Hawaii, as he insists. If he was born out of the country, Obama's American mother, the suits contend, was too young at the time of his birth to confer American citizenship to her son under the law at the time.

Other challenges have focused on Obama's citizenship through his father, a Kenyan subject to the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom at the time of his birth, thus making him a dual citizen. The cases contend the framers of the Constitution excluded dual citizens from qualifying as natural born.

Complicating the situation is Obama's decision to spend sums estimated in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to avoid releasing a state birth certificate that would put to rest all of the questions."

Makes you wonder .....

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
New face on the site...Welcome caadlad52 ..........

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Allegation made of eBay fraud

http://www.chestertontribune.com/PoliceFireEmergency/allegation_made_of_ebay_fraud.htm

Soooo what happened to if we provide legitimate tracking as proof of postage??????
Now ebay just refunds irrespective?? AND the police state Ebay's policy is binding Tough luck, the sooner Ebay are called to task on these dishonest practices the better.

**cupie**

I agree Lisa......No doubt, in the US, there would be a similar entity to the BFSO....Because they have a similar prudential licensing authority for non bank entities.  

ALL AUSSIE SELLERS SHOULD REALISE that they are Consumers of Paypal, and as such.....YOU DO HAVE RIGHTS.  Don't let anybody try to tell you otherwise.

Neither Paypal, nor Ebay make the rules irrespective of their 'Unfair Consumer Contracts'.....In this scenario, in Oz...the seller would need to lodge a BFSO complaint against Paypal's discriminative policy, and more than likely Paypal would be told to review their decision and refund the seller, given that they can prove the item was delivered.  

The more complaints received by BFSO about this policy, the more likely that it will be reported to ASIC as a systemic issue.  Only then will Paypal be roped into line......but if people don't make complaints, believing all the paypal apologist rubbish, then Paypal will keep sailing along calling all the shots.....sheesh.  

If you have been caught out the same way in this chargeback fraud, then get writing....it costs nothing for consumers to lodge a BFSO complaint but it costs Paypal around $1500.00 each time BFSO investigate, or so I'm told.

If they get hundreds of complaints, it might impress upon them the need for REAL dispute resolution and REAL customer services, OR ....they can keep paying the BFSO to do the job for them.  JMO.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
EBay's Auction Business Stabilizing, Analysts Say

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090706-714508.html

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Paso woman looking on eBay to replace stolen goods instead finds her stolen goods

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/breaking_news/story/776295.html

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
eBay UK Asks Members to Sign Fair Trade Petition

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y09/m07/i07/s03

**cupie**

The petition calls on the European Commission to amend EU competition law to stop what eBay UK calls unfair trade practices. Members must be logged in to the site in order to sign the petition.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  Pot...Kettle....Black..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So Ebay want Fair Trade Practices eh?  But they don 't want to offer Fair Trade practices to their sellers though do they?  mmmhhhhh!!!

In Australia, our Fair Trade Practices were ignored, challenged and then accused, just for protecting FAIR competition in the EFT marketplace, and small traders/consumers.   Anyone who followed the rebellion closely will recall that Ebay accused ACCC of placing consumers at risk when they denied Ebay the right to impose Paypal Only on a few million small business traders & consumers.....and of course, this would have excluded all other payment methods?  In fact, they were found to be in breach of Fair Trade Practices in this Country and forced to withdraw their notification or face prosecution?.....*shakes head at the hypocrisy of it all*

Meanwhile, small traders on Ebay are being tossed from pillar to post with no rights, no negotiation powers, ever increasing fees, and an ever decreasing profit margin?....and absolutely no bargaining power with a monster monopoly.

How about a petition to force Ebay to abide by Fair Trade Practices for small businesses selling on Ebay, and give them a fair shake of the sauce bottle ???  Whether here, UK, US, wherever......just simply abide by the laws of whatever country they are a non tax paying guest in?????.  

They seem to be able to bend over backwards for large powersellers, with lower fees, easing of all the rules, actual phone access and account managers, their own private forums, and god knows what else....... but the little guy?  well....to hell with him right?  Why offer Fairness to small businesses when they can get away with muscling them out of the marketplace by removing any hope of competing with the big guys?  It's almost a bit like small business genocide....and they have the gall to argue unfair trade practices?  LMAO

At least they've learned one thing from the rebellion.....Consumer power is greater than greedy monopoly power.  So why not use the same consumers Ebay denies any level of fairness or profit margin, to head up a petition to save Ebay's profit margin?  Bizarre......

If they try the same thing on here.....Fight for your own profit margins and form a petition to force Ebay to abide by TPA and stop dominating hundreds of thousands of small businesses.  For gods sake don't get behind them on the basis of fair trade practices...it would be downright hypocritical unless they're offering you the same level of fairness.

5,4,3,2,1............... 8)

bnwt

• Knight of the RT