Author Topic: ebay and the latest ...............................................MEDIA REPORTS  (Read 1225643 times)

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
eBay Adds Local Shopping Options to Product Search

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382905,00.asp

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Choice ranks Australia's favourite retailers

eBay comfortably took out the People’s Choice Best Online Retailer Award

http://www.insideretailing.com.au/IR/IRNews/Choice-ranks-Australias-favourite-retailers-371.aspx

it would appear that Philip Cohen's attempts to bring eBay crashing to it's knees aren't having much success

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
eBay crashing to it’s [sic] knees

During 2010, eBay earned $1.80 billion compared with $2.39 billion in 2009. Unless my grey cells are failing me, that's a decrease of 24%. Twenty-four percent!

eBay is “crashing to it’s [sic] knees” under its own steam without any help from me. Or, maybe you see this decrease as actually an improvement in eBay’s business? Oh, wait, that’s probably how the “eBafia Don” managed to get a 22% increase in his compensation for the same period. A 24% decrease is actually an increase. What are they teaching in accounting courses now? 

That (only) 28% of respondents to the survey named eBay, by far the biggest player in the online field, simply suggests that the online field is still unsettled; it also indicates that very many people still do not understand just how totally unscrupulous eBay and its most ugly adopted daughter PreyPal are. Or do you believe that these two businesses are actually ethical, scrupulous, consumer friendly, commercial entities? 

Enron / eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking.
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
iPad 2 price gouge: scalpers make a killing

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/tablets/ipad-2-price-gouge-scalpers-make-a-killing-20110401-1co41.html

FFS ... so peeps don't have to wait an extra couple of weeks to get their ipads they are willing to pay heaps more ? ... Technology crack heads !...

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
come on Yibster ....how much more would you have paid a scalper for Crysis 2 if you had to wait a few weeks to get one via order ?

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
come on Yibster ....how much more would you have paid a scalper for Crysis 2 if you had to wait a few weeks to get one via order ?

I pre-ordered and had to wait over two months to get it ... if I had to wait another month I would to save a buck ... Tech crack heads are another breed ... Super Geeks is what they are ! .... LOL

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
eBay bets on free shipping

http://www.internetretailer.com/2011/03/31/ebay-bets-free-shipping

particular readers need to pay special attention to the line:

........."eBay remains a powerful e-commerce company that generated $9.16 billion in revenue in 2010, up 5% from $8.73 billion the prior year"

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
eBay Displays Products from Local Brick-and-Mortar Retailers

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y11/m04/i01/s01

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
eBay bets on free shipping

http://www.internetretailer.com/2011/03/31/ebay-bets-free-shipping

particular readers need to pay special attention to the line:

"eBay remains a powerful e-commerce company that generated $9.16 billion in revenue in 2010, up 5% from $8.73 billion the prior year"

Please everyone, do try to read the whole of this above bit of nonsensical PR spin about “free shipping” regurgitated directly from the eBay Dept of Spin.

Now read the original AP story by Rachel Metz, that appeared on Forbes.com, that these other pathetic regurgitators may be selectively quoting from:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/03/21/technology-specialized-consumer-services-us-ebay-executive-compensation_8367932.html

“During 2010, eBay earned $1.80 billion, or $1.36 per share, compared with $2.39 billion, or $1.83 per share, in 2009. Revenue climbed 5 percent to $9.16 billion. EBay had 94.5 million active users at the end of the year - up 5 percent from the 2009 fourth quarter.”

That's a profit decrease of 24%. Twenty-four percent! The eBay Marketplace is (still) going down the toilet.

But the above spin story is about revenue and eBay’s 5% increase thereof in 2010 over 2009. What then about Amazon? Amazon’s revenue for the full year 2010 was $34.2 billion, an increase of 39.6% over 2009.

Sorry, but all you eBay lobbyists are simply going to have to paddle much harder.

There is one thing you all have to be aware of when you read the comments of eBay lobbyists, and that is that they will selectively quote the figures that most suit their purpose.

“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
eBay Seller Caught in Over-reaching Enforcement of Dupes Policy

http://letters.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2011/4/1301761452.html

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/04/02/BUR61IODI6.DTL

EBay buying GSI Commerce

EBay announced plans on Monday to buy GSI Commerce for $2.4 billion, giving it fresh ammunition in its battle against Amazon.com. GSI, outside Philadelphia, provides e-commerce and marketing services to more than 2,000 brands, such as Toys R Us, the National Football League and Polo Ralph Lauren. The company posted $1.36 billion in revenue in the past fiscal year, up 36 percent.
EBay announced plans on Monday to buy GSI Commerce for $2.4 billion, giving it fresh ammunition in its battle against Amazon.com. GSI, outside Philadelphia, provides e-commerce and marketing services to more than 2,000 brands, such as Toys R Us, the National Football League and Polo Ralph Lauren. The company posted $1.36 billion in revenue in the past fiscal year, up 36 percent.

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
eBay, Google Heart Big Merchants - Content Key for Small Sellers

http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2011/4/1301974148.html

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Half of Online Sellers Look to Increase International Sales

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y11/m04/i08/s02

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
“Woman charged with eBay fraud”
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/9160893/woman-charged-with-ebay-fraud/

Wot, 20 eBay [selling?] accounts? Now, what does that tell us about eBay’s claim to have sophisticated proactive systems for detecting such fraudsters? And you actually believed eBay’s claim to have such sophisticated systems? How naïve can you be?

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
while I can't go into any details as it is now a police matter

but recently I was caught up in a multiple ID fraudster scam .... they would buy lots of cheap items to create some nice feedback and then go whammo on expensive items

three times they bought from me using three different ID's

I got contacted by paypal about receiving a suspicious payment on the second sale blah blah blah

.. there were certain oddities about the emails the buyer sent me that made me suspect they were all from the same person

next day another cheapo purchase from a new ID, on the third sale I checked their previous ID's (they always bought the same item) which had both been NARU'd ... I also noticed their MO ...... so I called eBay to say they were doing it again

ID # three got naru'd within an hour before they could go on another multi thousand dollar spending spree

eBay sent me a cut & paste email about fraudulent buyer ... blah blah and I should contact my local law enforcement etc etc etc

I needed to call Sydney head office about the up coming mothers day sale so while I was talking to them I asked should I speak to someone about the fraud so they could get the cops to nab them

guess how many people there are in the Australian eBay office working on fraud ????

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Am I too cynical if I say "between 0 and 2"...?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
no

the number is not between 0 and 2

chookcity

• Knight of the RT
  • "The proof is out there"
I'll try zero.  ;D
Tempus Fugit when you're having fun.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
one of the two guesses above is correct

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
17,415 & very overworked, only kidding.

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Well...if there are more than two...they are grossly overpaid!  :waiting:

When you think about the old Hijacker threads and what the people there were doing for nothing in money terms...You would think that Ebay may have at least tried to enlist them for more detailed work.

Yeah..I was one of them..but just about everyone there had all the Goss on fraud stuff..and could pick a dud listing in a sec.

But what happened?  We kept getting reported...and Redeye's thread was deleted heaps of times...but we still kept going.

Redeye was one of the nicest and most knowledgable in his field...and Ebay have lost him now.... :comfort:

He is a wonderful man...and I am proud to know him... ;D

79ftruck

• Knight of the RT
Well Smee is pretty clued up on all things ebay related so i'll go with his guess.
How's it goin ??

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
The point is that eBay is still not making any effort to verify “buying” users; they simply do not care about fraud (unless it is fraud on them) because to do anything more than clumsily react after the fact to a user’s report would cost them resources and that would have a further adverse affect on their already ever-diminishing bottom line.

Sorry people, you’re going to have to look after yourselves in this respect and hope that you notice anything untoward early enough that the lesson to be learnt is not too expensive for you. And if the unscrupulous buyer does not get you directly by you shipping the item too promptly, before you subsequently receive the dreaded “notice of suspicious payment” from eBay’s most ugly adopted daughter, PreyPal, he can just as easily get you later indirectly through PreyPal, by simply claiming that the item never arrived or whatever.

I suspect that a notice of “suspicious payment” from PreyPal is for a “payment” that their system has already advised you has been made but PreyPal then subsequently finds that there are no funds available from the buyer’s nominated bank account or credit card to cover the purchase. So much for the clunky PreyPal system. This does not happen with the retail banks-supported credit card system because it is the buyer’s bank that manages the risk and approves the payment, not PreyPal.

I would always delay shipping anything paid for by PreyPal at least 48 hours, and even then you will find that PreyPal’s “all responsibility avoiding” UA will admit of no responsibility for them. With both these ugly commercial entities, you are literally on your own.

The fact is, you are here dealing with the two most unprofessional, unscrupulous, greedy, commercial entities on the planet. That some governmental consumer affairs regulator has not yet taken these two rampant criminal fraud facilitators to the cleaners yet, is a very sad reflection on the effectiveness of our consumer affairs regulators.

Anyway, good luck all you eBay users (buyers and sellers); but do keep your eyes open.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Paypal Is About To Get A Bruising From Facebook And Square

http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/09/paypal-facebook-square/

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
Seller Calls eBay Australia's Best Match a Travesty
http://letters.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2011/4/1302445478.html

Gee, apparently not every eBay merchant in Australia is happy.

You don’t need worry about the free postage thingy; eBay has arranged a deal with Australia Post to have your eBay parcels carried for free (just write “eBay Freepost” on them).

“Free postage”. Is not this latest eBay marketing idea simply brilliant; no wonder the idea never entered my head.

Ah, will the slumbering ACCC ever awake to this most ugly, unscrupulous, fraud-facilitating, commercial entity. Maybe now that Samuels is going? Who knows?

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
http://pages2.ebay.com.au/News/InsideSelling/Improvements_to_Search_Functionality

while I have never been a fan of Best Match ... I have to say from my observations the improvements are for the best

previously in the searches of my sort of listings the 99 cent auction asian selling flooders got priority exposure

at least now other sellers get a fair go

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
auctions are still sorted by time left and do not get any priority based on price , postage , location , previous sales or any other best match criteria

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

I got the 30,000 view  snipe ! ....  suck eggs you wannabe snipers ! ... LOL