Author Topic: ebay and the latest ...............................................MEDIA REPORTS  (Read 1225653 times)

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
Holiday E-Sales Were Heavier in November
http://seekingalpha.com/article/245523-holiday-e-sales-were-heavier-in-november?v=1294598968&source=tracking_notify

“eBay tipped to negative growth for us in December, coming in at MINUS 1.7%”

eBay/PayPal/Donahoe: Dead Men Walking.
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
How eBay and Online Merchants Should Optimize for Mobile Shopping

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y11/m01/i10/s02

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
Red Ink Diary

http://200westmain.com/redinkdiary/?tag=alan-lewis

An interesting commentary on the slow death of eBay.

“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
GenuineSeller

http://www.genuineseller.com/the-opposite-of-love-is-indifference

Another interesting commentary on the slow death of eBay. Includes some more links to some more excellent commentaries on eBay.

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
"EBay Options Trading Surges Due to Single Bearish Bet"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-12/ebay-puts-are-among-most-active-u-s-options-after-single-trade.html

Watch the sheep run! Apparently the smart (inside?) money is on eBay continuing its down hill slide on 20 January. What surprises me is that anyone, particularly anyone that actually watches the eBay Marketplace, could be expecting anything different.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Woman jailed for selling stolen goods online

http://cjonline.com/news/2011-01-12/woman-sentenced-selling-stolen-goods-ebay

A Lawrence woman was ordered to pay more than a half-million dollars and sentenced to eight years in federal prison for selling stolen goods on eBay, U.S. Attorney for Kansas Barry Grissom said Wednesday.

Carrie Marie Neighbors , 49, was found guilty by a federal jury in September of  12 counts of wire fraud, three counts of money laundering and one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, mail fraud and money laundering.

During trial, prosecutors showed that Neighbors operated a business called Yellow House Quality Appliances, 1904 Massachusetts, in Lawrence. The business bought and sold power tools, clothing, appliances, electronics and other items, many of which were sold on the eBay online auction website.

Neighbors took part in a conspiracy from January 2004 through July 2006 to purchase stolen items and sell them on eBay, Grissom's office said in a news release. Prosecutors said many of the items purchased were new and still in boxes and that Neighbors paid about 50 percent of their retail value and resold the times for a profit. Once she received payment through  Pay Pal accounts or received payment directly from the purchaser, she would mail the stolen items to purchasers, Grissom's office said.

Prosecutors said Neighbors used some of the proceeds from the sale of stolen items to purchase other items that had been stolen and to make payments on her residence at 1104 Andover, in Lawrence.

Neighbors was sentenced to 97 months in federal prison and ordered to forfeit more than $616,000.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
Shoppers Rank Zappos and Amazon Highest for Customer Service
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y11/m01/i12/s03

Wot, our old friend eBay does not even get a mention. Gee, how could that be?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
eBay didnt rate a mention because it isnt classed as a  retailer its an auction house and therefore didnt qualify to be included in the survey , the way Amazon is set up it is classed as a retailer ....didnt you read the criteria for the survey ?

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
No, I didn't read the criteria. Just as well then that eBay was not included; I'd hate to think where they would have come.

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
Just for fun, the Rise and Stumble of eBay, and some classic quotes from along the way:

“There is no online marketplace industry. We are pioneers.”—Meg Whitman

“This company truly is built by the community of users.”—Meg Whitman

“A monkey could drive this train”—Meg Whitman

“I use the Bain tool kit to frame strategy at eBay, every day.”—Meg Whitman

“Some of our biggest mistakes occurred when we put on our consultant’s hats …”—Matt Bannick

“Man, we’ve got something special. Don’t screw it up.”—Maynard Webb

“An innovation that is disruptive allows a whole new population of consumers access to a product or service that was historically only accessible to consumers with a lot of money or a lot of skill.”—Clayton Christensen

“Even though people think I’m an expert at technological innovation, my own instinct for technology was frozen in place in 1982.”—Clayton Christensen

“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe.

“We had to create a vision of the future so people could let go of a very successful past.”—John Donahoe.

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.”—Albert Einstein.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
PayPal To Open Regional Customer Support Centre In Malaysia

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsbusiness.php?id=556340

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 13 (Bernama) -- PayPal Inc, an online payments and money transfer service provider, has announced the opening of a regional customer support centre in Malaysia and plans to hire over 300 employees over the next three years.

PayPal in a statement on Thursday said, the new facility will offer services and support for customers across Southeast Asia, as well as provide operational support for the company's global payment service.

"We chose Malaysia because of its highly-skilled, globally competitive and multi-lingual workforce, in addition to a world-class business environment and technology infrastructure," PayPal global customer service and operation senior vice president, John McCabe said.

Nothing to do with the fact that the workforce in Malaysia will cost a lot less than a workforce in, let's say, Australia...?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
Nothing to do with the fact that the workforce in Malaysia will cost a lot less than a workforce in, let's say, Australia...?
I am happy. What is wrong for Paypal to setup an office in Malaysia?

If it is for cost factor, they should go to Indonesia, and maybe possibly Singapore. There they could hire Malaysian reside in Singapore and usually enjoy way lower salary than Singaporean.

Maybe the question should be, why not China?

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
I am happy. What is wrong for Paypal to setup an office in Malaysia?
If it is for cost factor, they should go to Indonesia, and maybe possibly Singapore. There they could hire Malaysian reside in Singapore and usually enjoy way lower salary than Singaporean.
Maybe the question should be, why not China?

If the office in Malaysia offers some stable work for Malaysians, there's nothing wrong there. (I have a concern that "Southeast Asia" may be expanded from its legitimate area into Australia, because of the language difficulties.)
And... PayPal already have an office in China!

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
Oh, what fun! Channel 7's "Today Tonight" has just given eBay/PayPal a mauling.

Watch the disingenuous shaven-headed eBay stooge do some squirming.

http://www.mcm-environment.com/ebay-and-paypal-today-tonight-report/

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Philip

I would not use the term "has just given"

that story is at least 3 years old

if you were half as 'clued up' as you think you are you would have known that was Alistair MacGibbon the once Director of Trust & Safety who left eBay years ago

Philip Cohen: boring old fart still spewing hot air

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
Yes, I did not check the YouTube original. I now see that this video and some of the comments that have just been republished on this other site have been (disingenuously?) presented as being current. That is deceptive as far as the time line is concerned and I cannot imagine why anyone would bother to deliberately do that. Regardless, the video is as topical today as it was yesterday; it’s a good exploration of the serious problems that exist on eBay/PayPal. Regardless of the time line, the problems discussed in the piece are still extant, and more other serious problems have since been added to the mix.

PS: Thanks for the closing compliment; I won’t bother commenting likewise on any of your efforts.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Philip - While some may feel your efforts are a bit excessive, I would not discourage you from continuing them - but when you miss a simple thing like the date of some material, it undermines your credibility immensely - and that detracts from everything you have done.  If nothing else, such erroneous material could give cause for people to doubt your accuracy in other areas.

As ungracious as the closing comment from BNWT may have been, it is an example of how your posts of dated material are affecting the perception of your efforts.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
The interesting thing about Philip's post & Utube snippet is that the viewers comments on the website are dated 14 January this year, yesterday.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
The interesting thing about Philip's post & Utube snippet is that the viewers comments on the website are dated 14 January this year, yesterday.

Ubb's .. commenting on Youtube video's in the present time though the video was loaded some time ago is not out of the ordinary, I comment on some video's that were up loaded month's ago if not years...

It is easy to miss the date details in the heat / excitement of finding damming evidence...

Phil is very passionate about his quest and has done some incredible things in the past to bring things to light.. despite the perpetrators attempt to hide the truth ...

I'm sure it was just an oversight...

Some times it's a good thing to set a cat among pigeons...
    <-----<<<   { I deny I said that if the RSPCA ask about who made the last comment ! }

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
eBay Donning Fashion Garb

................... in an attempt to shed off its low-cost used-goods image, eBay started a fashion website – fashion.ebay.com, featuring various popular brands (Boss, Aldo). It also offered consumers a much better experience using a new and improved search engine and much better choice

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/46079/eBay+Donning+Fashion+Garb

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Salvos launches its first online store

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/salvos-launches-its-first-online-store-20110119-19vza.html

"Salvos general manager Neville Barrett said with consumer behaviour shifting online, it was necessary that the charity kept up with the times."

Gerry Harvey - take note.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
I wish the Salvos good luck but I can only say their online store is appallingly bad

the server is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow

the choice of goods for sale is virtually nothing

the whole experience will send shoppers running

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
I must agree.

In discussing server performance, 'speed' is an oxymoron.

Product choice might be more of an interest to collectors. $1250 for a harmonica is not what I would call in the scope of 'battlers'.  However, it is appropriate for attracting cash flow from those who can afford it.

For the 'average' Joe looking for a bed or a basic pair of jeans - just turn up at the physical store ... as before.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Online shopping - worth paying extra to walk into a shop?

http://digihub.theage.com.au/node/1986

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Weather Delays Won't Impact eBay UK's Top-Rated Seller DSRs

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y11/m01/i21/s02

bnwt