Author Topic: Will you use Paymate to buy or sell on eBay?  (Read 10659 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Will you use Paymate to buy or sell on eBay?
« on: July 14, 2010, 02:44:26 PM »
I had a look at the eBay boards this morning to see if there was much talk about Paymate. Hardly a whisper!
I wonder if most buyers are now so used to PayPal that most will continue to use it - I will be.

I had a go at adding Paymate to a listing and you have to find the Paymate box before you can even tick it. Does anyone know whether Paymate is integrated into the eBay AU checkout yet?

PS. do the eBay boards look different to anyone else? They seem to have changed since the last time I looked, a different colour or layout or something, or maybe it is the different screen that I'm using.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Will you use Paymate to buy or sell on eBay?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:58:12 PM »
Hi Wheels, Yes it is already integrated, but don't forget You need to log into your Paymate account & link your Ebay user ID to Paymate before you can tick the Paymate box or it will remain greyed out.

I am still at a bit of a loss as to why there is not any clear information on what Paymate will or will not offer in terms of protection for sellers, and i have a gut feeling that the 'deal' Paymate made with Ebay in Australia will be geared towards PayPal being the most visible and the fore runner, I cannot imagine Ebay/PayPal allowing another Payment company to get anywhere near the exposure on checkout or 'seller protection' etc that they afford themselves.

It's all just another smokescreen to appease the ACCC imho, the ebay flunkies have been all over the Boards recently putting down paymate and thrusting 'avoid Paymate' signs in the air under the pretence of being regular noise.

I'll be offering it and letting the customers make the choice.

PS. There were many more posts regarding Paymate on the Ebay discussion boards but they surreptitiously went poof when no one was looking, even one of the CEO's from PAYMATE posted on the forums with information but that too went Poof.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:15:34 PM »
PS. There were many more posts regarding Paymate on the Ebay discussion boards but they surreptitiously went poof when no one was looking, even one of the CEO's posted on the forums with information but that too went Poof.

Possibly cited for 'discouraging' the use of eBay/Paypal....  Stupid, I know, but could technically be considered as such - especially by an ardent button-pusher.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
Your most likely right Brumby, I have a feeling a LOT of the buttons pushers are actually LIVEWORLD employees, they do after all spruik "social engineering" on forums as one of their Features lol, and if there was any outcry they could feign innocence and claim it was one of the regular "noise".. cough sorry members.

If I was the CEO of PayMate and MY post got deleted that contained announcements and fee structure I would be sending a Big WTF to Ebay/payPal.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:22:42 PM »
Thanks Liisa, I registered with Paymate a while ago and linked it to the eBay account that we use for selling. I actually got a little bonus from Paymate because I nominated a bank account and they did the usual small deposit, small withdrawal thing to verify the account. What I didn't think about was the account that I nominated is a deposit only account, so I received their deposit of $4.96 but their withdrawal attempt was declined!

I have since nominated another bank account and it is all verified ready to go. I wonder if they'll chase me for their money back or deduct from the first payment (if ever) that I receive.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:18:01 PM »
sellers can now offer credit cards as a payment option

well technically yes ......................... however

try and find a bank that will give you merchant facilities

St George said straight up ....... eBay - NO WAY

Commonwealth said they want details about the payment pathway ...... i.e. eBay has to offer a proper shopping cart with details about payment gateways ....... I spoke with eBay they say "nothing to do with us, talk to your bank"

nab had no idea but said there would need to a shopping cart

strange the way eBay say eBay is looking at a number of industry best practice initiatives, like introducing a shopping cart on the site. In order for eBay to do this successfully, sellers need to have the ability to offer several industry standard payment methods

but eBay we can't do this until you offer a shopping cart

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
Oh by the way - ALL Paymate fees charged to an Australian seller on eBay are subject to 10% GST charge on the 2.4% seller's fee only.

BNWT, its a bit like this really regarding your post about the banks.

Catch 22 in BaySpeak

In eBay’s help pages under “Setting up your buyer payment preferences” it states clearly “All electronic payment methods require you to use eBay’s Checkout.”
Using eBay Checkout says “When you list an item, you need to offer at least one online payment method.” and, later, “One or more electronic payment methods is (sic) required when you list.”

On the same page “Checkout is a preference that’s set automatically when you set up your seller account. You can disable it at any time.” and “If you’d rather not use Checkout when you list an item, you can disable it.”

In summary, you do not have to use eBay Checkout to list an item but you must offer an electronic payment method, which requires eBay Checkout to list an item

EHHHHHHH??????

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »
How about this?

https://epay.propay.com/ebay/Default.aspx

Sorry. Just read this. Currently, the ProPay eAuction account is exclusively for US-based eBay PowerSellers.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
I have no idea what paymate is - so I will probably continue to use Paypal for the first time I deal with sellers.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »
MM, I don't know what Buyer Protection will be in place for buyers using Paymate on eBay AU, but there are no fees and you can pay directly with your creditcard via Paymate.

http://www.paymate.com/cms/index.php/component/content/article/45-sme-sales/224-use-paymate-on-ebaycomau

Paymate for eBay Buyers

Buyers can make payments for purchases on www.ebay.com.au via Paymate, which will soon be integrated into eBay Checkout for ease of use.  Buyers do NOT need to register to use Paymate - simply use a credit card without disclosing details for fast and secure payment.

eBay Buyers do NOT pay any fees to make a payment.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:27:31 PM »
Thanks for that wheels

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 10:53:43 AM »
Thanks Liisa, I registered with Paymate a while ago and linked it to the eBay account that we use for selling. I actually got a little bonus from Paymate because I nominated a bank account and they did the usual small deposit, small withdrawal thing to verify the account.

I also nominated a deposit only account but payment did withdraw needless to say not using hunter credit union anymore. I will try again, after 15 mins found this on ebay well hidden and lots of dead ends typical scumbay

http://help.ebay.com.au/Help/Selling/Selling_basics/Using_Paymate#four