Author Topic: Would you unblock this buyer...?  (Read 12753 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Would you unblock this buyer...?
« on: June 07, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »
My seller friend is wary....

Buyer joined in 2003. Bought once in 2004 (nothing since). Seller gave a neg after 6 weeks of no payment and no response to emails.

My seller has basic blocks in place - including the one for negative FB.

They received this message from 'ask the seller a question' on one of their current listings:

Hi. I would like to buy this item, but my rating is -1 because I had trouble with my banking
details for my first ebay purchase. I should have my Paypal account working properly now,
and am therefore wanting to use Paypal. I think you would have to allow me to bid on this
item. Can you please allow for this. Thanks, (name)

While any sale is worth pursuing (especially lately), the risk of one going bad overrides that worth - and we know the buyer can dance all over the seller, their reputation and their funds - with little chance of redress.

Would you allow them to purchase?
Would you stipulate any conditions?

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Re: Would you unblock this buyer...?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:15:57 PM »
Would you allow them to purchase? ............... yes

Would you stipulate any conditions? ............... no

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »
I am with Tags on this I would certainly allow them to buy with no more conditions that I would apply to any other sale

I would however make sure that I used used a suitable trackable/isured  postage method in this instance if the item well  exceeded $50 in value

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:24:25 PM »
Brum6y, I'd sell to them.  :piggybank:

If they were shifty they would probably have just closed that ID and started another one. But I agree with Smee, the item would be sent with trackable postage.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »
The item is only around $10, but the financial risk is not what prompted my seller's concern.

This statement "I think you would have to allow me to bid on this item." is what raised alarm bells.  It seems to present the opinion that the seller is obliged to allow them to purchase.

It made me wonder whether the buyer has been coached into arrogance and, if so, what might ensue down the track.

Their use of language elsewhere indicates that they are quite competent with their english, so it is difficult to consider this impression as being the result of a poor choice of words.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »

If they were shifty they would probably have just closed that ID and started another one.

I did mention that to my seller friend - but they were still uncomfortable.

One aspect of all this that infuriates me is the heavy-handed eBay and PayPal attitude, being both blind and deaf to sellers who are unfairly 'done over'.

Just go back a couple of years and this question wouldn't be asked with anywhere near the concern ... if it was asked at all!

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »
This statement "I think you would have to allow me to bid on this item." is what raised alarm bells.

I think he want to say due to his -1 feedback, he needed the seller to grant him permission to bid the item?

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »
Thanks Low... that's an interpretation that seems obvious ... when somebody points it out!!

With such an (apparent) minimal involvement with eBay, they have the right idea but probably aren't sure.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 04:49:12 PM »
Yes Low, that is probably what the buyer means. Makes sense!

Sorry Brum6y, didn't see your post there.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 05:56:50 PM »
Don't apologise Wheels ... cross posting happens all the time.

The apprehension is much alleviated, but my seller is still anxious.  They're going to allow the buyer, but will send the item registered regardless.

I've also been warned that if they get a Neg out of this WE ARE ALL IN TROUBLE.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »
The apprehension is much alleviated, but my seller is still anxious.  They're going to allow the buyer, but will send the item registered regardless

why would you bother for an item which you sell for $10 ????

which probably cost your seller less than $5 in the firsy place ...

JMO

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 08:05:53 PM »
No need to register anything under $50.

If the buyer turns out to be one of the "where is my item" mob, just put in a claim for a missing parcel with Aus post, (as they cover regular postage up to $50, but KEEP the receipt) if it goes over $50 then by all means send it registered.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 08:16:34 PM »
I'd be having a look at the feedback that was left for this buyer....and then having a look at the feedback of the seller that gave them a neg.

Sometimes that gives you a better idea if the seller is a bit of a hot head and negs without trying to work with their buyers.

And as has been mentioned....if they really were a bit crooked....they wouldn't have bothered contacting....they just would have opened a new account and bid!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 10:41:57 PM »

why would you bother for an item which you sell for $10 ????

which probably cost your seller less than $5 in the firsy place ...

JMO

As I said, the financial consideration is NOT the issue. It is a concern on feedback, DSRs and disputes.  Unfortunately, my seller has become hyper-sensitive about these numbers - because they have become so critical in operating on eBay and their business activity is in transitional ranges on a number of measures such as profitability.

Just now they found their DSRs had been dinged - possibly a semi-newbie handing out 3's across the board - and you'd think they had just been mugged.  It isn't healthy.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 10:55:23 PM »
What has drs's got to do with registration ....????

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 11:21:55 PM »
DSRs are a curly one, because they are anonymous - but Feedback and Disputes are less likely when you have the recipient sign to say they have received the item.

I know it doesn't prevent this - but it makes it less likely, since the 'casual' scammer will realise they are on record as having received it.

If you play the diplomat in the face of a scam attempt, then you might still salvage a less agressive DSR score than a full frontal 'Gotcha!".

This all sounds like an asanine political dance party - but it is more and more a part of the eBay scene, unfortunately.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 11:37:37 PM »
and some people will mark your dsr's down because you send a parcel registered that doesnt need to be registered .... An example being if the buyer works normal business hours and isnt home when the parcel guy tries to deliver , the buyer has to go to the post office to collect ...he or she may not be able able to do this due to work commitments or if they can get there they hate queing up for 10 or 15 mins in a busy post office to collect and sign for a parcel thats only worth a couple of bucks .... and they have had to pay an extra 2 or $3 dollars for the privelage .....often the AP parcel people do not even leave a card the first time they try to deliver , so this can add days to the time the buyer takes to receive the item 
So it is possible that you are doing yourself more harm than good by registering when not neccessary ie under $50 .....

Just an alternate way of looking at it and I do know for a fact that drs's have been marked down for this practise

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 12:23:36 AM »
Agreed.

The convenience/inconvenience issue of registering is one I will be discussing with the seller.

In the past, buyers who have made themselves conspicuous in some way that have not chosen registered have been offered 'free' registered post for their first purchase as a welcoming gesture. The buyer's response soon outlines any convenience issues.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 12:30:31 AM »
All you can do as a seller , is keep doing your best

provide the best , cheapest , fastest , safest , most reliable service and goods you can and hopefully the positive feedbacks and dsrs will take care of themself

it has worked for me in the past

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 12:39:53 AM »
I quite agree ... and I have been trying to impress upon my seller exactly that.

I have even threatened to hobble their computer so they can't get access to their seller dashboard!!  I have yet to see them make any changes to the way they do things as a result of the dashboard - because they already have an exceptionallly high standard.

It is criminal to see how eBay measures seller performance - and administers penalties.  It is so abnormal in the eCommerce world.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 12:40:40 AM »
I missed 'The last word', didn't I?

White Witch

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 08:07:18 AM »
Follow your instincts. I personally dont want to deal with rude customers, I can't stand rude people! I guess I'm not that desperate for a sale.

I received a rude email from a potentian buyer last week, it said:

Dear *****,

i will pay pay pal assp please hurry as i am going to buy from some one else

I wasn't impressed and had to ask them what they meant. Apparently they're a non payer with strikes under their belt and had come across the blocks I have set up for non payers.

You'll think a non payer would at least try to be a little humble to get the blocks lifted!

Why would I want to sell to a non payer that on top of that has a rotten attitude? So after the last of their 4 of their pestering emails (ask that they exempt me from any buyer requirements, thanks) this is what I replied:

I don't want to. Your first email to me was very rude. You told me to hurry up or you will buy from someone else, I would prefer that you just went and did that. Thanks for your email!

Not only I did NOT put them in the exception list as they demanded, but I also put their name in the Blocked Bidders List, just to make sure this rude person doesn't buy from me!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »
On first reading, the statement of concern seemed like a demand - but Low gave his interpretation which indicated a much less offensive thought and I discussed this with my seller friend.

In the end, they allowed the buyer access to the item and sent a message letting them know.

As of half an hour ago, there has been no response or purchase - but that may be because of their daily schedule. Will be interesting to see if anything happens in the next few hours or the next couple of days.

wyzeguy60

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 10:41:23 PM »
as a side interest it is possible to see who leaves low stars. I no longer sell on ebay so I can let this secret out.
If anybody wants to know PM me and I'll type up a little cheat sheet and copy and paste to you. It is time consuming but will tell you who is leaving you low stars. If anybody left 1 or 2 for anything I would block them. 3's hurt but if they did it a second time I would block them.
Often people were leaving 3's for postage charges and time delivered. I charged less than cost and always posted immediately. Couldn't be bothered with these types to be honest.
And I feel the only reason they left low stars sometimes was because they thought they were anonymous - haha.

;D

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 10:53:35 PM »
I have had a number of buyers ask me nicely to unblock so they could buy ( I think about 5 since I opened my store) and of the ones who bought (1 didn't, and I put the blocks back up again) they all paid quickly and have been great to deal with.

Most were fairly new, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I made the sale, they paid = all happy!

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 11:15:30 PM »
Do you know if they are bidding on other items at the moment, brumb6y?

They may send out quite a few feelers asking sellers to allow them to bid. (Just a thought I had. I am , perhaps, a little over cautious. I am curious about why they now decided to buy after such a long gap);D
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

White Witch

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 07:42:59 AM »
I am suss about buyers with very low feedback or no feedback that haven't bought anything in a few years, and then decide they want to buy from me, but I give them the benefit of the doubt.

As a general rule, buyers than send me polite emails to unblock them, I have no problems with them. It is the ones that are too rude from the beginning, or that seem to think that the world revolves around them, that make me think they're just going to bring me unnecessary headaches down the line, so they can stay blocked!

A new buyer with 0 f/back emailed me after the sale, not before, and asked me if she could pick up.

I have a store policy of "no pick ups unless you live very close by". This new buyer lived several suburbs away, didn't qualify for pick up, and I didn't trust someone with 0 fb knowing where I live, but I checked with hubby, and being the softie that he is, he told me it should be ok for them to pick up as long as he was home too, and I wasn't alone.

Made an appointment with the buyer by email to pick up monday after 5 pm. I waited and waited, and got an email after 5 saying "she couldn't make it, and how about tomorrow?"

I had to say; "no sorry. You stuffed me around today, you're not going to do it again tomorrow. I will send the parcel by mail as soon as you make payment."

Then she dared to send me an email saying how dissappointed she was that I had said she could pick up, and now she couldn't! WTF?

How dissapointed was I, that couldn't change into my trackies and comfy ugg boots for hours (so I'd look presentable) waiting for her to show up?

This is why I'm weary of new buyers; you bend over backwards to try to please them, and they just stabb you in the back!

They're so ungrateful! Ungrateful and rude customers can go to hell! This one is blocked too! I don't need harassing emails from 0 feedback buyers with no clue after they have cancelled their appointment!

Rant over, sorry. Carry on...

surf-inside

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 03:28:22 PM »
I generally ignore emails asking to be unblocked from buying.  In the OP's topic, I would sell and not feel anxious about getting a negative or low DSR, the buyer might be grateful and leave excellent feedback.  But its a low priced item, so I would probably just ignore the emails and not respond, especially with a response that puts the buyer on the defensive, is equally rude, confrontational, or adds gasoline to a fire already smoldering with the seller.

IMHO :)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »
My seller's response was very simple and quite professional. It would be a very troubled person that could find any offense in it ... unless they were expecting an answer with 60 seconds.

But it has been about 2 days now - and there has been no response nor activity on the item.

I have organised a thrash session this evening .... to get some momentum going in their website plans.  All indications are that it will make life less stressful, less risky and more profitable - plus they can afford to offer a greater range of products.  The difficulty is that after having to deal with everyday life issues and keeping their eBay business generating enough income to survive, they are exhausted. I'm taking a kilo of coffee with me...

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 06:43:50 PM »
I had my second non paying bidder last week, one on each ID, neither of them responded to the dispute or prior emails, and I was not going to waste a dime calling them, both got blocked immediately there seems to be more and more of them as the days go by, I will NOT unblock anyone period because there was a good reason they were blocked in the first place... unfortunately the list is getting longer.

I go out of my way for buyers that do the right thing, those that do not can go....elsewhere.  lol
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

square peg

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 07:01:13 PM »
All you can do as a seller , is keep doing your best

provide the best , cheapest , fastest , safest , most reliable service and goods you can and hopefully the positive feedbacks and dsrs will take care of themself

it has worked for me in the past

I have found that a healthy dose of brown nosing helps too....... I used to include a small thankyou gift with every order - I have one neg but this was a retaliation feedback. I bought a $250 item off someone once, went to pay, and they wanted to charge me $8 to use paypal. (Not mentioned in their listing). I paid into their bank account, I did receive the item - but it was the wrong item - this item was worth less than $10. I took photos and everything to show what had arrived and the seller told me that I had swapped it and that I was a liar. So, after some pretty abusive emails telling me not to contact him again, I negged him. He later got his friend (well they lived on the same street - 2 doors down) to buy a $5 item from me. It was a book - part of a series. All 4 books looked exactly the same except for an a,b,c or a d in the top corner. When listing, I uploaded the wrong picture (my PC screen is quite old so small - so it was not obvious to me. However, my description was spot on...... Hang on it gets better - can't remember the exact postage costs - but whatever they were listed as, when I went to post, the Post Office charged me less, so I gave them change with a note telling them what had happened (about$2) so then in the feedback they left me they said that I had misrepresented the goods and that I lied about postage. They never contacted me during the whole transaction - despite me sending the obgligatory 3 emails - (1 to thank them for their payment - 2 to let them know that it had been posted and with the registered post tracking number, and 3 to let them know that the tracking system said that the parcel had reached their post office...... They never once said - hey - you sent me the wrong book - just negged me....

well, that feels better....
When opportunity knocks, don't complain about the noise.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 11:19:39 PM »
My seller's response was very simple and quite professional. It would be a very troubled person that could find any offense in it ... unless they were expecting an answer with 60 seconds.

But it has been about 2 days now - and there has been no response nor activity on the item.

I have organised a thrash session this evening .... to get some momentum going in their website plans.  All indications are that it will make life less stressful, less risky and more profitable - plus they can afford to offer a greater range of products.  The difficulty is that after having to deal with everyday life issues and keeping their eBay business generating enough income to survive, they are exhausted. I'm taking a kilo of coffee with me...

brum6y
They probably did expect an answer instantly. Probably expect some person is sitting glued to the computer 24/7 for the express purpose of giving instant replies to queries.

Hope you had enough coffee ;D ;D
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 02:40:34 AM »
Coffee supply is holding up well - but plans got ambushed with other priorities of theirs.

Not giving up though.  It is going to be short term pain for long term gain - but the short term is still going to be measured in weeks and that is a wearying thought.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 02:12:52 PM »
That is what I call an "Incy Wincy" situation. Much patience required. I am sure, like Incy Wincy, you will get there in the end ;D