Author Topic: Free Shipping ... and DSRs  (Read 3892 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Free Shipping ... and DSRs
« on: April 11, 2010, 07:28:16 PM »
For a long time, I will admit, I was one of the many who could not see the logic of allowing a DSR rating (or any rating other than '5') on 'Shipping Cost' for items offered with 'Free Shipping'.

But following one of the stories posted by BNWT on the 'Latest Media Reports' thread, I encountered a statement where having this facility available was quite justified.

All the arguments against having the ability to rate a seller on this DSR have made the very same assumption: That the seller who offered free shipping DID, in fact, honour this obligation.

The statement I read was made by a buyer who complained at having to drive to his post office to pay extra postage, because the seller had 'shorted' on the postage. This is a potential problem for any buyer - of any item.

... Including those where the seller claims to supply 'Free Shipping' but does not provide it.

In that case, marking a seller down on the 'Shipping Cost' DSR is valid, despite it being promoted as 'Free Shipping'.  

(Actually, I find it quite incredible that, with all its pomp and circumstance and gymnastic legal abilities, eBay hasn't actually stated this as a justification ... but seeing it expounded here, don't be surprised if it finds its way into their 'cut and paste' library.)

BUT I will admit this is more than likely to be a problem of infinitesimal magnitude ... the much bigger issue is where those sellers who DO provide free shipping get marked down on this DSR.

On that question, I would like to suggest a qualifying question for items promoted with 'Free Shipping' - something like 'Did you have to pay any extra postage?' - with a buyer having to click 'Yes' before they could get access to the DSR rating.  It may be a small thing, but it requires a buyer to make a deliberate choice ... and it is one of those 'little things' that could win a court case - if it were to ever come to that.

ernest_price

Re: Free Shipping ... and DSRs
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 11:38:02 AM »
I can understand that's a decent reason to keep it.

Still just amused at the number of 3's and 4's I've gotten for free shipping and an overall 4.7x rating. I really think people sometimes treat 3 as 'neutral', and 4 can sometimes be a slip of the mouse when a 5 was really meant.

Yet I average 4.9x when I charge for shipping. ...and always amused that when I UNDER charge [yep it happens] I tend to have a lower rating than when I charge about right or even a little too much [yep it happens also]. Weird huh!

Still - not one of life's bigger concerns. :)