Author Topic: Fake Trading Post emails  (Read 4026 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Fake Trading Post emails
« on: February 16, 2010, 08:11:31 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't forward a copy to myself... but a friend received an email supposedly from Trading Post (somethingorother@tradingpost.com.au), telling him to log in to avoid account problems.

He very sensibly got me to have a look at it, and I said, "SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM". (The actual click-on link led, of course, to an entirely different URL...)

I will try to get hold of a copy of the email, but in the meantime - I just want to alert everyone that they should not be fooled by any emails of this nature supposedly coming from Trading Post. Whether or not you're a Trading Post member makes no difference. Don't click the link!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
Re: Fake Trading Post emails
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:15:10 PM »
Thanks Tessa.  Do these scammers never sleep?  Or do they dream up scams whilst sleeping?

If only they used their talents for good instead of evil.
:duckling:

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Fake Trading Post emails
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:02:08 PM »
Unfortunately, its the power of the internet.

Send 1,000 emails and if you get a 0.1% hit rate you've got a victim.  Send 100,000 and you could get 100 victims.

The thing that fascinates me is the range of quality ... some look very good, yet others are so bad, I laugh myself silly - I'm just waiting for one that displays a url like: "scammingwebsite.com.cn" - I've had a few come real close!