Author Topic: eBay Bucks - Doomed before it starts?  (Read 5159 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
eBay Bucks - Doomed before it starts?
« on: February 03, 2010, 06:43:47 PM »
An article from AuctionBytes: Will eBay Bucks Deter Excessive Shipping and Handling?

It talks about the eBay 'customer loyalty' program, where buyers will get credit benefits based on the purchase price of items (excluding shipping).  An item for $20 with $5 shipping will be more attractive than the same thing at $5 with $20 shipping - so the hope is it will encourage purchase from sellers who pay higher fees.

It is also clear that it would entice buyers to look at purchasing off eBay before going elsewhere (like Amazon, maybe?).

As with all these loyalty programs, they cost - and with the numbers presented in this article, the benefit to the buyer isn't going to influence the casual buyer a whole lot.  They are going to be more focussed on the item details and, all other things being equal, on price.

On that score, I have a FlyBuys card that doesn't get used for much, because to do so would mean more inconvenient shopping trips and paying more for some items.  My points score wouldn't get me a deposit on a decent 'reward' - so I'm not encouraged to go out of my way - in any way, shape or form.

Which brings me to this delightful bit of idiotic logic....
Once the program is established and buyers really understand how to maximize their bucks, sellers who offer free (or greatly reduced) shipping and handling will likely be able to command higher prices.

Higher prices...?!!!

Tell 'em, they're dreamin'....

cueperkins

Re: eBay Bucks - Doomed before it starts?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »
Yeah....It's the Vibe.....lol....but let me tell you some sellers go OTT on postage charges.....how hard can it be to estimate exact postage and handling as a separate charge...up front and honest like? (I did it for 7.5 years without any issue)...  Trust me, many Jewellery sellers are a big one for that, they post a listing for a broach no bigger than a fifty cent piece with a 6.00 post charge?...unbelievable....if postage were cheaper in the listing though, they would get more bids...you have to take these 'added' but not disclosed costs into account every time.

Some sellers will try to charge 6.00 for each multiple purchase and hope to get away with it...they are supposed to disclose exact postage and handling in the listing....it's an ebay rule, so why don't they just enforce that?

btw...it costs 2.40 max to post a brooch, and that's with the cost of the padded bag....*shakes head*...

gr8-expectations

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »
For my ten cents worth (expensive i know lol) i think the following;

a sellers time is worth something too, BUT they must be upfront about handling charges and NOT bury them in postage
i think it has all got too dog eat dog and i dont really blame sellers (except the ones above that are "buriers") i blame sites like ebay who like to look like the heroes offering cheaper and cheaper goods all at the sellers cost, sellers are really struggling and despite the fact ebay and sites like it deliver less and less unique buyers, watchers and bidders, their fees have risen not fallen (which should be the case)

its no surprise to me that these sites have far less sellers and even sellers who prefer to sell on sites like oztion for comparative peanuts ON PRINCIPLE rather than be raped and pillaged by unfair fees.

like most things though this does not apply to ALL items and some go for crazy prices even beyond their market value even today, that is unexplainable by logic

i dont begrudge a seller a fee for handling, especially when the item they offer is special and offered at a reasonable price, as long as the item is well described and professionally handled it all seems fine to me, as long as it is disclosed, what rankles people is when it is not disclosed and a seller sends an item in cheaper packing and postage than described, or not registered when they charged for registered.

if the buyer wants the item enough and fees are reasonable and described well they will buy, although today this is less the case than before because in many ebay categories its a buyers market, but not all.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »
Bring back capital punishment ...... and women should be hung like men !!! .... so you are ok GR8

gr8-expectations

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:26:29 PM »
hoims should be double hung in other words smee? or well hung? lol

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »
Capitol Punishment, excellent. How about a few keelhaulings to get things started.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 06:37:27 PM »
Sell tickets.
Festival style seating.
Snacks and souvenirs.

Woot!

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 06:39:27 PM »
Yeah Tello, we'll make money, the stands will be packed.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 06:42:22 PM »
I can run the parking lot!

(Previous experience with a Circus)