Author Topic: EBay promo - Free insertion 26th & 27th - who are 'qualifying sellers'?  (Read 13430 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
My seller friend has heard some sellers have received an email saying there was a free listing promo on 26th and 27th November.  They checked the eBay boards and another forum but it is unclear as to who is eligible.  (Now who would have imagined that...?)

Has anyone here come across this promo and/or have any clearer understanding of who qualifies?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: EBay promo - Free insertion 26th & 27th - who are 'qualifying sellers'?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 11:37:31 PM »
yes I got the offer it is for buy it nows ...

sorry was looking at the email to see if it had a link but it doesnt , it lists all the conditions ... if you want to send me an email addy through pm I will forward it on to you if you like ? 

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:14:58 AM »
the email says :

This is the time of year when buyers want to beat the Christmas rush and pick up some bargains. By offering fixed price items you can help your buyers have stress free Christmas shopping and they can also receive their gifts in time for Christmas.

We want to bring joy to your world this Christmas, with ZERO insertion fees on Buy It Now listings made on 26 & 27 November 2009*.

What are you waiting for? List before Christmas and save.

Terms & Conditions

When?
Starting 00:00:01 26th November 2009 (AEDST) and ending 23:59:59 27th November 2009 (AEDST) ('Promotional Period')
Who is eligible for this Promotion?
"Qualifying Sellers" for the purpose of this Promotion are sellers who are validly registered members of any eBay site with an Australian registered address.
Persons whose eBay accounts have been temporarily or indefinitely suspended or made inactive by the Promoter during the Promotion, are not eligible for this Promotion.
What listings are eligible for this Promotion?
Subject to these Terms and Conditions this Promotion applies to all Buy It Now listings, by Qualifying Sellers, during the Promotional Period ("Qualifying Listings")
Qualifying Listings must be made on eBay.com.au.
Qualifying Sellers pay no insertion fee on each Qualifying Listing.
Qualifying Listings created before the Promotional Period and scheduled to begin during the Promotional Period are included.
Listings in two or more categories are included, so long as both categories are eligible.
Car parts and accessories are included.
What is excluded?
Auction and Classified Ad listings are excluded.
Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Other Vehicles, Aircraft, Caravans & Motorhomes, Trucks & Commercial Vehicles, Trailers, Services & Real Estate category listings are excluded.
Listings created during the Promotional Period but scheduled to start after the Promotional Period are excluded.
Listings that contravene eBay's or PayPal's policies are excluded.
All other eBay fees including listing upgrades, final value fees, format fees, subscription fees, as well as all PayPal fees apply as normal.
Insertion fees and Gallery fees will revert to original price once the Promotional Period has ended.
Read more information on eBay's fees.
Miscellaneous
Sellers may not concurrently have more than 20 listings for identical items, whether during a promotion or at any other time. More information is available in eBay's Multiple Item listing policy. Persons who violate the terms of this promotion on eBay.com.au may not be eligible for future promotions on eBay.com.au.
eBay reserves the right to verify eligibility of sellers and listings to receive the discount ("the Incentive"). eBay's decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into, including in the event of a dispute.
No responsibility is accepted for failure to provide the Incentive.
eBay is not liable for any injury, loss or damage of any nature whatsoever (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) which is suffered or sustained as a result of or in connection with receiving, taking or using the Incentive, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law. Any tax liability arising as a result of accepting the Incentive is the responsibility of the seller.
eBay is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone, telephone or computer network, or lines, servers, or telephone or internet providers, traffic congestion on any phone or computer network, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participants or any other person's handset or computer related to or resulting from participation or sending or receiving of any communication or of any materials in this Promotion.
If for any reason this promotion is not capable of running as planned, eBay reserves the right in its discretion to modify the terms of the Promotion including the Incentive and these Terms and Conditions.
This Promotion is offered by eBay International A.G.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 01:57:04 PM »
Thank you Smee and bnwt.

I have passed the info on and my seller friend has started their 'free' listing, successfully!

When talking to them, they were telling me how Turboblister even advised them how much they saved in listing fees and even cited the specific promotion that was in effect!  Even if a seller was unaware, it seems they would get this 'free listing' deal and be told why.

I find it fascinating that Turboblister can not only provide 'free listing' functionality (obviously in combination with the host site) but can also identify the promotion ... it shows a certain level of sophistication and design.

Pity it wasn't as reliable with all its other bits and pieces.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 02:01:39 PM »
just one other point too Brumby that they may not be aware of but which I took advantage of this morning ... you get free insertion fees for BIN or BIN/Best offer and it also doesnt charge for a second category listing

gr8-expectations

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »
thanks smee, do we have to start them at 0.99? to qualify?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »
no Mr T its not for auctions its BIN or BIN/Best offer any price

gr8-expectations

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 03:27:14 PM »
oh ok thanks smee, sounds good, better get my butt into gear then, dunno if i got that offer but may be in a folder I didnt look in

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 04:21:03 PM »
here's my problem with this promo

as you know I sell leather goods ............. one of my bigger selling xmas items is "mens leather wallets"

from previous experience people like to buy xmas presents by Buy It Now rather then frig around with an auction that they may or may not win

trouble is Mens Leather Wallets are flooded by 3 chinese sellers that list furiously doing 3 day auctions ... these are listed as leather wallets but are made from man made leather and I suspect are fake brand name rip offs

so because these three sellers can flood the category with $9.00 billabong etc wallets and with Best Match they get total dominance of the first 5 - 8 pages of listings

thus leaving my Buy It Now quality genuine leather wallets so far back no one even sees them

I get the fell xmas sales will be poor this year

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »
oh ok thanks smee, sounds good, better get my butt into gear then, dunno if i got that offer but may be in a folder I didnt look in

Gr8 - my seller friend didn't get the offer email - but they DID get the free listings!!

To find out - just double check the conditions and load up a couple of listings with Turboblister.  From what I have seen, if you're eligible, Turboblister will tell you how much you saved at the end of the upload!

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 04:49:06 PM »
I didn't get the email on either ID and I am not getting any discount that I can see, despite meeting their criteria.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 05:41:28 PM »
no discount Liisa... free insertion fee's for bins ... you should get it if you list today or tommorrow

gr8-expectations

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 08:05:05 PM »
smee see this link, i had not received this offer and only found out about it here, when i searched it i found this, and it may not be the same one but this one says its only for starting at 99 cents, cant be the same one then can it?

http://answercenter.ebay.com.au/thread.jspa?threadID=1000034657&mod=1258011293970

going to try a few listings and see now

gr8-expectations

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »
thanks brumby, i dont use turbo lister because they dont have a mac version of tl, but will give the listing thig a try thanks

ps I just received this for yet another ebay offer stuff up, this time they give a code for a discount for their muckup, go figure these guys lol!

Dear (name removed),
You may have experienced difficulty shopping on Sunday. We'd like to offer our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced by offering a 10% off voucher, good until December 14, 2009.
Your personal voucher code: CXXXXXXXXXX
With best wishes to you this Christmas.
Sincerely,
eBay

THE EMAIL IS HEADED UP - (NAME REMOVED) please accept our apologies - and a 10% off voucher

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 08:09:39 PM »
I havent seen that one Mr T the one we are talking about is worded as per reply #2

gr8-expectations

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 08:11:37 PM »
see bnwt's reply #2 above and check this one out....

No responsibility is accepted for failure to provide the Incentive.

under the tpa they this would not be enforceable by law i would think?

gr8-expectations

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »
yes thanks smee, i am not trying to be a sceptic all the time but its often confusing, looks like a good offer, just going for it now creating a few listings

gr8-expectations

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
it just annoys me smee that they are so slippery all the time, i dont deny ebay is a powerful force in the online selling marketplace and the place where quite often we can move goods for a reasonable and sometimes good price that otherwise may not have sold elsewhere or for less

same with paypal, its convenient and does not cost the $22.00 a bank tfer would cost to send overseas etc. its their UA's and modus operandi I am sceptical about, I am surprised paymate does not have more traction here, its a mystery to me, they no longer charge the buyer a fee as they used to and havent for some time

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 09:52:01 PM »
Gr8, I didn't receive the email but I just tried a listing and it was free, except for the 59c pic fee. And I've just looked at my template list and they all show a listing fee of 59c, or zero if I haven't put a pic in.

I did get another email from eBay today:

Bring joy to your world with these offers
   On the first day of Christmas, my true love came to me...
To search for a date, or your soul mate, try the free 72 hour trial on match.com. You can view photos and profiles of thousands of singles near you thanks to eBay Dating and Match.com. Create your profile and start meeting new people today. Try it now
Terms & conditions apply

Since when has eBay been in the match-making business?   :ring:

gr8-expectations

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 10:04:19 PM »
lol thats right wheels dunno when they started that, maybe we can get new partners with free shipping and a paypal guarantee lol?

well i just tried doing a listing with double categories and here is the estimated ebay bill so i dunno, i seem to be left out of this promotion

Estimated eBay fees to list this auction are broken down as follows:
Insertion: AU $ 0.75
Subtitle: AU $ 0.49
Gallery: AU $ 0.59
Second Category: double fees
¹ Total: AU $ 3.66

gr8-expectations

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »
maybe because i didnt list it on ebay itself its not doing it? maybe later it will credit the fees? I will check with live help now and see

smee weas saying above or someone that extra cat is free also so i am not sure

gr8-expectations

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 10:06:16 PM »
ah here it is, maybe its just a standard auctiva message as this says...

Fee Estimator does not factor in discounts for shop owners.
¹ eBay discount and sales are not reflected in our fees estimate.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »
thats coz you did it as an auction .....

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 10:11:48 PM »
I did get another email from eBay today:

Bring joy to your world with these offers
   On the first day of Christmas, my true love came to me...
To search for a date, or your soul mate, try the free 72 hour trial on match.com. You can view photos and profiles of thousands of singles near you thanks to eBay Dating and Match.com. Create your profile and start meeting new people today. Try it now
Terms & conditions apply

Since when has eBay been in the match-making business?   :ring:

(I'm gonna hate myself for this...)

Wheels - wasn't it obvious when they brought in "Best Match"?

gr8-expectations

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 10:17:47 PM »
thats coz you did it as an auction .....

nope its a bin smee with best offer

gr8-expectations

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 10:18:07 PM »
lol brumby

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 10:24:14 PM »
Estimated eBay fees to list this auction are broken down as follows:

Im pretty sure I dont get this wording when I list bins ???

sorry GR8 I should pronounce BUNS

thats why I queried

gr8-expectations

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 10:27:02 PM »
lol smee, everything is good, i just checked my invoice on ebay and the promo rate of $0 is through and showing for both categories, fantastic, thanks guys!

good to be able to afford to list in two cats thats a killer when it all doubles like that, thanks for all your help people, those messages i got were in auctiva when listing, do you use auctiva also smee?

i was going to not subscribe to them but to another more stylish one when they started charging but i had a lot of existing ads in there so now i have a subscription with them, and they have lifted their game quite a bit

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 10:27:14 PM »
Buns? Someone mention Buns? I like Cream Buns.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 10:32:15 PM »
no GR8 I dont use Auctiva or turbo lister ... or anything like that ... just normal straight forward every day listings ...... why they call turbo lister turbo is beyond me .... all reports I have had is that its more cumbersome than a normal listing and only comes in handy if you are listing a bulk number of  listings , but I dont know as I have never tried it

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 10:40:18 PM »
Brumby, Best Match  :pmsl:  groan!

I wonder if you subscribe and pay with paypal whether you can claim for Not as Described when your 6ft4 blonde, blue-eyed, sports loving, 25 year old, seeking good times turns out to be some geeky, short, balding 50 year old who wants to take you home to meet mother.

(apologies of course to any geeky, short, balding 50 year olds out there  :-* )

gr8-expectations

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 10:41:32 PM »
yes i have heard a lot of horror stories about turbo lister, for me it would not be that useful i suppose anyway, only some features but i tend to do such detailed ads they are more the volume seller with a lot of items the same and carrying inventory, those features you can get in some other programs anyway or most of them

where auctiva is good is you dont pay for ebay picture hosting which can add up with lots of listings, auctiva have a basic program which is quite cheap and more advanced ones with more hosting sizes if like me you have a lot of images, also you get to use the web templates and they are very good

gr8-expectations

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 10:43:24 PM »
lol wheels - NOT AS DESCRIBED seller return policy? exchange goods in 14 days buyer pays shipping lol

i reckon a ton of people on those dating sites are "not as described" lol

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2009, 01:02:53 AM »
Some may have noticed that I spell Turboblister slightly differently to eBay.

I have done so for some time now - quite deliberately.

Whilst it has the potential to be a great tool for sellers, it has a reputation for being an absolute pain in the rear.  My seller friend doesn't upgrade versions as soon as they are released - they waint until it's stabilised or they're pretty well forced to upgrade.  When they do, they have developed a backup procedure to restore the old version of the programs and database, in case it's a disaster.

You would think remembering settings would be a given - but that and a dozen other basic expectations are at risk when upgrading.  Sometimes they are at risk just by using Turboblister!!

Superficial observation: Poor programming/testing and lucky to have the promo message and pricing work.
Conspiracy theory: Very clever programming, with deliberate 'faults' to annoy the smaller sellers into giving up.

The other thing too is, it seems to come up with a system error message: "Turboblister has encountered a problem and needs to close".  On a computer running XP SP3 with updates, I'm reluctant to blame the machine...

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 03:56:03 PM »
(apologies of course to any geeky, short, balding 50 year olds out there. )

No offense taken.

"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 12:50:26 AM »
Excuse me if I get a little closer to the OP....

Well, it's all over now - until the next episode.

My seller friend was working hard over these last 2 days - but had a batch of well over 100 to upload around 23:30.

During the preparation to upload, Turboblister pulled a couple of stunts, apparently, and objected to item specifics and missing multiple item postage on a number of items, despite all these having been entered already I've been told.

Once these were fixed up, it was noticed that the 30 day duration had magically changed to 7 day. When those were fixed up and another upload attempted, there were more objections to item specifics.

Exasperation!! Delete the offending listings! Upload pronto! But, alas, as the 'official eBay time' was being monitored on another computer, midnight came and the listings were still being processed.  There was time to think and ask 'Do I kill them or do I let them go and just wear the $50 in listing fees...?'

[ Cancel ]

I made an enemy when I pointed out that, knowing Turbolister's reliability as they do - they should have uploaded in batches of 30 listings. They would then only be bemoaning the missing out of 10 or 20 'free listings'.  They said I "didn't have to rub it in" in a way that made me glad I wasn't in the same room.

But today wasn't all bad for them ...  "Turboblister only crashed three times - which is good".

Talk about lowering customer expectations...!

gr8-expectations

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2009, 07:49:03 AM »
Hi Brumby, thats a good effort, its wa sa huge saving for them on this occasion it seems and an ebay offer which is/was not related to 99 cent starts for once which is a good step in the right direction and better value for sellers.  i notice you say you had a 30 days duration allowed at one stage? I was unable on the listings I did to be able to have the option of 30 days, for listing in Auctiva when you select "fixed price" it seems to only allow max of 10 days. Is this something to do with the level of store your friend has? I have an ebay store but just a basic one.

Sounds very frustrating with turbo Lister but good in the end they got so many done. I find it frustrating in Auctiva sometimes like that with trying to work out which specifics of an item to fix to allow it to post, but thats doing single listings not in bulk. Would it be easier for your friend to do the uploads in selling manager pro using the file exchange formats and csv? You can download the category specifics or fields and try that way which might be more accurate, not sure, have not tried yet.

You were talking before about payment gateways i think and auctiva e-commerce stores offer the following choices; authorize.net, google checkout, paypal, it seems google checkout is gaining a wider acceptance due to its perceived security, i cant speak from personal experience yet though because i have not set it up yet. As far as auctiva ecommerce stores it is really good in the respect that you can upload data by file exchnage, set up a store easily but also if you have existing saved listings in auctiva (previously or currently running on ebay) they can be easily exported straight to your own e-commerce store, with your own domain and can appear straight away as a pile of finished ads so the work is not wasted including all images, or you can edit them.

Anyway I digress as usual, lol thanks you guys for letting us all know about that ebay offer, I did not receive anything about it from ebay itself, i have now checked that, and a good saving and another benefit of the ozrt and its members, i would never have known about the offer otherwise.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »
i would never have known about the offer otherwise.

C):-{=  <" you were tipped off "<<
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 11:46:30 AM »
I want to second Gr8's sentiments. I would not have known about this offer unless I had read it here. By the time the announcement was posted on eBay it would have been too late for me.

I have taken the opportunity to list stuff I would not have listed and already sold 2 items :yess: and have lots of watchers on the others (probably other sellers)  :rolleyes:

A Big Thank You to Brumby and bnwt and everyone else for keeping me up to date.

:-*