Author Topic: Accounting (and other) software - what works for you in the eCommerce world?  (Read 5988 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
The shoebox accounting system isn't practical these days for anyone into a serious online business - so, the question is:

What do you use? and Why?

OK - I'll be honest... I'm fishing for input into the question of which way to go for the seller I work with. The things that have been identified so far are listed at the bottom of this post, but your experiences might well have some other important things to add - please feel free to do so!

So, if you have an experience, a suggestion, a question, a brilliant product to suggest, tools you have found useful or a dire warning of some pitfalls, PLEASE SHARE IT HERE.  (If you have something to offer, but don't want it displayed publicly, you can message me.)

* Sales from eBay, OZtion and their own web site (planning to use KensCart, a derivative of CubeCart.)
* Combined shipping on sales from any combination of these - including partial refunds (if over-quoted on shipping cost)
* Payments from Paypal (including eCheques), bank transfer, bank deposit, money orders, cheques, EFTPOS (including MOTO) and cash.  Paymate and other services a possibility for the future.
* The normal 'exception' stuff, like NPB's.
* Inventory - Approx. 2,000 SKU's, utilizing 'average cost' costing model.
* Purchasing & costing.  Currently done in Excel.  Purchases are mainly from the USA.  Costing needs to handle direct shipping as well as order consolidation and shipping from a freight forwarder. Reconciliation of the account with the freight forwarder.
* Expenses
* Reporting - Normal accounting stuff. P&L, Reconciliations, etc. - Inventory - Purchasing - Adhoc.
* Data Export and Import.  Some of the purchasing and costing facilities needed may not be easily found, so external preparation of data for importing as a purchase order, for example, would be necessary.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
I have no idea of this,brumby .

I am replying to keep your post on the first page a little longer in case someone has some helpful information ;D
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Brumby,

I have extensive experience with Quickbooks and MYOB and some experience with a few other accounting packages. If Quickbooks can integrate with eBay/PayPal then I would go with it. It is easy to understand, set-up and use for non-accounting types. I have used it for nearly 20 years and I am currently using the 2009/2010 version. It has all the bells and whistles, including inventory, payroll, reporting, direct (one click) import /export with excel.

Sorry, I have no experience with linking it to auction data though.

There is a board on the ebay.com that may be helpful,
http://forums.ebay.com/db1/forum/Accounting-Assistant-Record/1000000016

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Accounting-Assistant-Record/Which-Accounting-Program/510096295

This is recommended from the US thread, you would need to check how and if it handles GST
https://www.auctiontracking.com/

and I just found this listing on tradingpost!! It's been developed in Aus so you may even be able to get it customised if needed.
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Computers/Computer-Software/Office-Productivity/AdNumber=TP003101658;pgid=7kVQaj2EjRFSR0UVBYksbNMI0000CRfsTF1R;sid=TUw7iTHfTww58HrSUGYxKDr-Cv7IMIAlzhzaTMnS?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Thanks for that Wheels. 

Will take a look at those links soon - RL has made life busier than I'd like!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
or try this tool Brumbles , its what Ebays accounts dept use so should have all the required functions
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Kid-Quality-Educational-Wooden-Toy-Beads-Abacus_W0QQitemZ280426830461QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Toys_Hobbies_Educational_Toys?hash=item414abdda7d

term and condition number 4 is a new one ... these power sellers are allowed to make their own rules .... whats the bet he still claims insertion fees back from ebay as well in the event of cancelling ...... double dipping ...... and they deduct fees from legimate returns as well ..... also a new one !!!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Yep, I saw one of those - looked just like the one you've pointed to:

But it had a major problem when downloading data... it appears you have to open up one end in order to get the additional data loaded -

- and if it falls over during the time its open, you can get a data corruption....

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
... like this:

gr8-expectations

hi brumby, maybe take a look at mals ecommerce its a free aussie product up to i think 1000 transactions a month then after that you pay a small fee, apparently its really good a dev friend tells me, thats for your own site.

auctiva e-commerce SEEMs good I actually have subscribed to it but have yet to set it all up, but it seems easy, they make it pretty simple and of course theres the added advantage of the auctiva tools.

hate to recommend ebay in any way but the automated tools in selling manager pro are quite good as is the ability to upload data directly which is faster in bulk for ebay sales, likewise their pro-stores look good.

as for accounting for it all yes myob i guess or quicken, out of the above ecommerce store solutions you can download data tab delimited

gr8-expectations

failing all that the pretty little colored abacus should be just fine.... the chinese got away with doing it that way for 0000's of years lol

here is the link to mals ecommerce, it is 100% aussie owned and very good giving you a cheap safe gateway for credit cards etc and low fees, but free to a certain level as mentioned before

good luck brumbs!

gr8-expectations

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Thank you Gr8.  More food for thought.