Author Topic: Why is the “eBafia Don” destroying eBay?  (Read 52936 times)

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
Why is the “eBafia Don” destroying eBay?
« on: November 06, 2009, 02:16:49 PM »
For anyone that is interested, a few more thoughts on eBay, posted on AuctionBytes because there I can revise my thoughts, indefinitely (with apologies to Smee).

Why is the “eBafia Don” destroying eBay? http://www.auctionbytes.com/forum/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=6502877
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: Why is the “eBafia Don” destroying eBay?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »
“Noise” Donahoe is just smart enough to know that eBay is little more than a “house of cards” that could one day be found by a court in some land to be the criminal organisation that I, and many others, believe it to be.....

Darn right!!!!!
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:06:13 PM »
... has introduced a system of masked bidding aliases that serves no purpose other than to further lessen the transparency of the auction bidding process for the purpose of further obscuring such criminal activity

I will not argue against the possibility stated above, but I do disagree with the phrase "no other purpose".

There is a very clear "other purpose".

Hiding the full ID of bidders does prevent other things from happening:

(a) False "second chance offers" - one of the reasons trumpeted by eBay for doing this (I can't say I'm convinced on how big a 'problem' this was.)

(b) Accurately identifying the purchase interests of a member and, thus, invading privacy (to a point).

(c) Preventing communications from other sellers of the same or similar products from contacting members (who have expressed a buying interest by bidding) for the purpose of making a sale, possibly outside of eBay.

It is this last option that I hold as the far more likely reason for the masking of members' IDs, since eBay have gone out of their way to strangle communication between buyers and sellers - channeling this ONLY through their messaging system and even filtering that for website and email addys.

I have little to disprove my belief that eBay is SO paranoid about losing fees from 'off-eBay' transactions that they are doing everything they possibly can to control communication and avoid the chance of direct buyer-seller contact.

From the Auctionbytes article I received today: http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y09/m11/i06/s01 titled: "eBay News for Sellers - Removing Graphics for Faster Search", the following was included:

eBay also said that it would hold off on making buyer email addresses anonymous in member-to-member emails. "This change created some issues with the internal email management systems for some of our sellers, so in September we reverted back to the way emails were handled previously. This means buyer email addresses are not being made anonymous, and the way members can reply to messages are not being enhanced at this time. We're working now on a new system to beta test in early 2010. If all goes well, we'll launch it shortly thereafter."

So, even after a sale has been made - control communication between the buyer and seller!

WHY?  Are eBay setting themselves up as a spam filter?  (I will admit to not having read anything explaining their reasons excuses - but I don't think they will be convincing.)

The last bit: "We're working now on a new system to beta test in early 2010. If all goes well, we'll launch it shortly thereafter." - has got me wondering ... and worried.

I reckon if they could work out how to do it cost-effectively (ie cheap) and with justification (a really, really good excuse) they would vet each parcel shipped to ensure no private email addresses were shared and that no direct sale websites were advertised.

Next thing you know, they will claim ownership of members' IDs and store names, through twisted copyright claims, to prevent advertising of sales venues - at places other than eBay - utilising the market presence and reputation built up through the use of eBay.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 09:15:58 PM »
Well said Brumby.

I actually dont mind the fact that my id is hidden when I am doing my bidding, It is no one else's business what I am bidding on.  I also had other sellers contacting me after I lost an auction offering to sell me the same item - which I never do as it is unfair to those that have listed an item, and paid their fees.

Ebay has done a lot of things that I disagree with, the latest changes were not well thought out when it comes to coins.  I also disagreed with the merging of the collectables and coins boards and the loss of some very valuable information when they deleted the old posts.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »
re your reply 2 brumby all of that would be ok re the postive points of hidden bidders IF and only IF the whole system were in the hands of a credible and honest corporation which it is not, tello and others also pointed out the new question system with typical ebay multiple choice answers before you can even ask a lousy question, they just do what they want, that system is already in on the us site and will be here shortly, there are not a myriad of reasons to stay away from ebay... what they need is a good class action, there are plenty of grounds, duty of care not being the least of which and why cant they pay gst in oz just like every other corporation, plus since things have settled down over the accc thing they are now sneaking in tons more unfair advantage by using their market dominance to push everyone towards paying by preypal, i had three instances in the last week alone where the sellers bank details did not show up and it was a pain in the butt getting them off people but i pressed on because i hate paying through paypal.

and where is the paymate option on their checkout? obviously the shut them up deal done with paymate at the end of the accc episode got paymate onto the us site but there is no sign of them here yet and why is that? it would seem logical they would be here on ebay being an aussie company

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 10:26:43 PM »
 :10:

Name-dropper!

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 02:18:11 AM »
I have had a few very annoying experiences when the IDs were first hidden. I discovered (after two auctions, and during another) that a family member was bidding on the same items. Grrr!

I don't mind my ID being hidden during an auction but it takes the fun out of things.And can cause some mix ups.

"We're working now on a new system to beta test in early 2010. If all goes well, we'll launch it shortly thereafter."

That has me wondering as well, brumby. Will they stop buyers telling a seller the bank details are not coming up and prevent buyers asking for said details??...Now I am being paranoid !!
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

gr8-expectations

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 08:34:41 AM »
I have had a few very annoying experiences when the IDs were first hidden. I discovered (after two auctions, and during another) that a family member was bidding on the same items. Grrr!

I don't mind my ID being hidden during an auction but it takes the fun out of things.And can cause some mix ups.

"We're working now on a new system to beta test in early 2010. If all goes well, we'll launch it shortly thereafter."

That has me wondering as well, brumby. Will they stop buyers telling a seller the bank details are not coming up and prevent buyers asking for said details??...Now I am being paranoid !!

no centuries you are not being paranoid, there is ALWAYS a method to their apparent madness and they can easily bury the whole bank deposit issue in a cloud of confusion, ebay are experts at that, they didnt win the accc battle but they are winning the war and how will people provide bank details if they cant properly exchange emails? if people dont have their bank details showing up on their ebay from ages back as some do, the ONLY way to add them is to enter a direct debit agreement for fees, thats right you cant just add your bank details as a one off exercise if you read the agreement (ua) you sign to have them show its not just about having your bank details show, its about your fees, in other words it deliberately conjoined so it puts people off.

ebay are experts at "thin edge of the wedge" and devious, and the next step after the new draconian moves early next year will be to stop people putting any contact details like direct email and phone number in their ads as many still do. IMO its only a matter of time

gr8-expectations

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 08:37:38 AM »
last week buying some things off ebay, at least two sellers who had bank deposit marked as one option for payment haad NO SIGN at all of their bank details at checkout, I actually have a dispute opened with a seller re wanting to pay that way, but guess what? you cant open a dispute if you havent paid, and havcing elected as I did to pay by bank, if the seller cant or does not provide the bank details you cant seem to go back in and change it to paying by Paypal, i much prefer for local sellers to pay them by bank, as long as they have good feedback, most are honest, unlike ebay.

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 09:16:15 AM »
Hi All (Brumby in particular),

I’ve been through this debate about hidden bidders, in detail, many times before.

Brumby, You make the mistake of believing anything that eBay says; that can be very dangerous—for your wallet. I believe absolutely nothing that they ever say is sincere; everything is “spun” for their benefit. Actually it’s more than simply spin, it’s mostly outright deception on the consumer. They would not bother talking to us at all unless there was some benefit, or the prevention of some loss, to them.

I always refer to eBay users as “users”, for to refer to them as “members”, as eBay does, is to imply that the organisation is run for some benefit of those “members”—it is not: No action taken (or not taken) by eBay management has anything to do with benefiting or protecting eBay users (buyers or sellers); eBay’s every action (or lack thereof) is purposed solely towards benefitting eBay, by whatever means, fair or foul—undoubtedly more to do with the recovery of those “lost” executive performance bonuses than with any direct consideration for shareholders—and if at any time there appears to be some benefit to eBay “users”, that will be purely coincidental.

I conclude that nothing that eBay says can be accepted at face value. All eBay statements require translation and if you interpret anything that they say as probably meaning the exact opposite of what they say you will be on petty safe ground. And if you want some more good examples, of what I refer to as eBay’s deceptive “Ho-speak,” they can be found at this link.

Your point “(a)”: I agree with you. Been through that one over and over and over. The problem of fraudulent SCO’s (if it ever was a real problem) was solved by the general blocking of access to other users’ direct email addresses. Bidder masking never had anything to do with this supposed “problem.”

Your point “(b)”: Buyers have never been individually identified except to the seller. It seems strange to have to restate the fact that eBay’s individual user IDs are anonymous. There is no invasion of privacy. And some of us believe, anyway, that being able to track individual anonymous user IDs is a fend against shill bidding. Obviously, eBay and the shill bidding sellers disagree.

Your point “(c)”: The idea that eBay is trying to stop communications outside of the individual sale process may appear to have some merit (they certainly are now concerned about any leakage of revenue; too bad they don’t have the same consideration for the well-being of we consumers). However, I doubt that is the case because they can’t stop such communications anyway, one can always use eBay’s own messaging system. Bearing in mind that eBay has no effective customer service, you don’t imagine that they actually have a bank of little gnomes reading all the eBay messages, do you? They could possibly be filtering these messages for key words, who knows? But it certainly has nothing to do with the “privacy and protection” of eBay users.

eBay also said that it would hold off on making buyer email addresses anonymous in member-to-member emails.

I saw this too. I have no idea what it means (I doubt they do either). More eBay double talk? As far as I have seen recently, direct email addresses have for some time not been system-included in eBay messages: you have to reply via their system. Maybe I have missed something. More likely the children making the decisions at eBay simply can’t make up their minds.

Sorry, but considering all the circumstances I conclude that the only purpose served by the introduction of masked bidding aliases was the further obscuring of the shill bidding activity that now appears to be even more rampant on eBay. And, if users cannot detect, and report, same then eBay does not have to waste any of their valuable resources dealing with the problem.

Still a most unscrupulous, dare I say criminal, organisation.
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 09:57:02 AM »
eCrooks!

cueperkins

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 10:04:54 AM »
Brumby, You make the mistake of believing anything that eBay says; that can be very dangerous—for your wallet.

Actually Phil, I think you are making a huge assumption in that type of statement...if anyone Brumby is the type of person to consider all aspects of an issue....I've never known him in the time I've posted with him, to be mistakenly under any such belief....

And GR8 - boy oh boy...so you really do read my posts....lmao....

and where is the paymate option on their checkout? obviously the shut them up deal done with paymate at the end of the accc episode got paymate onto the us site but there is no sign of them here yet and why is that? it would seem logical they would be here on ebay being an aussie company

Guys...a while back I posted a thread on Ebay about misuse of market power and unfair contract deterring competition.....I think it's under S45 and 46 of the TPA......Essentially, by hiding b/deposit details and/or making it almost impossible for consumers to access that payment system, they are engaging in misuse of market power and anti competitive conduct....this was the whole basis of the RBA referring the matter back to ACCC for this very issue....

Although I 'll have to read the documentation again, one of the complaints that the rebels submitted to RBA was the very fact that customers were being actively deterred from using other payment systems when it came to checkout...Ebay was issued with a warning of some kind...but as I said, I'll have to re-immerse myself in the details again.  

GR8...you raise some very relevant points here...firstly as we agree, Paymate is nowhere to be seen on Ebay au...why?.....secondly, Ebay continue to deter the use of other payment systems actively and aggressively, and now, with this new email system, as you note, there will be absolutely no way to contact the seller to get those details.....

I'm going to start a thread for this purpose....and start compiling evidence of Ebay's ongoing anti competitive conduct for ACCC...anyone interested?.......those who know how to take screen shots and then blacken out details......can you instruct the rest of us on how to get this evidence easily?...i.e. I still don't know how to take a screen shot and then hide the personal details....Yib or Poddy, can you help?

we need checkout shots that demonstrate all the issues, and failing that, a detailed description of all issues confronted trying to use bank deposit on Ebay.....

gr8-expectations

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 10:12:26 AM »
philip, tello, brumby and centuries,

firstly philip brumby's posts are always well informed and he takes a moderate view which is good, i just dont think people realise the extent to which ebay will go for money, people generally dont realise the abundant resources available to them. By getting rid of the round table and tightening up the chat rooms so people cant eopnely or honeestly share views anymore ebay simply are seeking to win the war by stealth, thats called strategy and yes they are a dishonest and quite evil corporation.

People now, perhaps like myself who have formed an adverse opinion about ebay and paypal over time are perceived as ebay bashers or party poopers and often are asked the question "where would we be without paypal and ebay, arent you grateful for the sales or buys on ebay etc, paypal is so convenient" and so it goes on, i have seen every argument in the book but basically people are not looking at the underlying issue and that is that the whole thing is being run by unscrupulous, dishonest corporates who dont give a toss about fair play or local laws and statutes of any country and protection for the consumer is right at the very bottom of their list, indeed IF it is there at all, which i sincerely doubt.

A class action would force ebay to confront en masse the chaos it has created, how do sellers for instance (and some buyers) who have a mass of negs against them placed there by honest consumers who paid their money get away with continuing to sell on ebay? THAT is the most pressing question, written evidence from multiple sources, mostly individual mums, dads and young people who have terrible experiences with either ebay or paypal and NOTHING is done, there is no proper phone mechanism for dealing with complaints, the email system allows ebay to hide behind a myriad of disguises and wear out the well intentioned before they feel they are getting any action (and is deliberately designed that way to maximise profit).

gr8-expectations

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 10:17:32 AM »
cupie your post was not there before i posted mine so i was not ignoring you and yes as said before brumby's posts are usually always well informed and that has been the case for many years that i know of, i enjoy reading them

gr8-expectations

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »
cupie i will have to brush up myself on screen shots and editing them to take out personal details but yes i would be happy as i am sure philip would? to contribute to such a thread and to start to compile the evidence of the widespread abuse of consumer rights on ebay, it would be useful also to start a separate thread on the paymate issue i think.

As far as the bank deposit thing is concerned I can start a new ebay account and try there to add my bank details and take screen shots of the process and nasty UA at the end of it, which has NOTHING to do with simply trying to add bank details so they show in checkout but is basically a direct debit agreement with the side "benefit" that a sellers bank details show up in checkout.

In the past weeks/months but especially in the past few weeks, ebay have gone back to the time of the accc thing and have been deliberately making what look like software glitches to further hide sellers bank details, if you look at this on the massive scales it on, each one of these "supposed" glitches actually means massive bottom line returns for paypal and therefore eaby profits, we are not talking beer money here but really serious $

gr8-expectations

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
and another side benefit for ebay? taking the direct to seller communication with the buyer right out of the loop altogether, it is NOT coincidence, the next relatively easy step is a new edict i predict for march or so 2010 where sellers will no longer be able to have direct email references on their ads and will not be able as many still do display their bank details on their ads (yes many do this which is dangerous for the seller but THATS how depserate they are to get out of ebays payment clutches through Paypal).

ebay will of course then say this is "standard" practice for many sites to reduce fraud..... entirely predictable.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 10:53:17 AM »
Push>Greed>Shove....

Don't forget to pay for your Joy Ride: Special Edition (DVD, 2006) Steve Zahn. Thanks!   
Hi 898sarahg,
Thanks for your recent purchase on eBay! Please remember to pay for your item so that the seller can ship it to you as soon as possible.
Thanks again for shopping on eBay!

Joy Ride: Special Edition (DVD, 2006) Steve Zahn
Sale price:   $1.99
Shipping & Handling:   
Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service $2.87
Seller:   
struhar2007 [contact seller]
Seller Information:   
richard struhar
thiensville, WI 53092 United States

Guess what, BONEHEADS: I have another auction to win from this seller so I can enjoy COMBO SHIPPING. I emailed the seller and he's COOL about it.

So BUG OFF, eWIPES!

cueperkins

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 11:10:52 AM »
GR8... I have to pay for something on Sunday night and since b/deposit is all I pay with, I can take screens shots all the way through if someone can show me how....I'll also make note of the process involved in ensuring you can access b/deposit details....i.e. once you complete checkout..I dare you to go back into the order details and find the b/deposit details.....they are not there.

I have to print down the details while in checkout before pressing proceed, or there are no details at the end of checkout...bloody stupid and obviously designed to hinder other payment methods.  Now they're wanting to make it damn near impossible? 

gr8-expectations

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 11:18:49 AM »
ok cupie, well the best way (and i am on a mac not pc so not as conversant as i used to be for pcs on screenshots, unless you also are on a mac) is to download a freeware screenshot program because they give you better features than the standard and there are tons on the web if you search on "screenshot freeware" or similar on google, it will have a tutorial in it hopefully.

On the other point you make, the sellers who always (and i mean pre accc) had their bank details on their checkout or added to their ebay personal details did not have to sign up for the driect debit (or may have) not sure but at least back then it was way easier to find and do than the way it is hidden now, quite complex now and definitely that UA now.

A seller i just dealt with for a book does have his bank details showing up and they DO show up on the "order details" when i click on it, so that part may be incorrect in what you are saying, i think the screen shots we need will be if the seller you are delaing with says on his/her ad "bank deposit" accepted etc. and then does NOT haave their bank details showing, almost certainly that will be a case where that seller has A. found it too complex to find on ebay and hasnt done it for that reason or B. has found how to add them but is not willing to enter a UA they dont agree with and therefore has not. or C. other reason not above.

the screen shots would be useful in the latter case above, where they say they accept it and want to but have in fact got no bank details showing.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 11:21:02 AM »
anyway you know exactly what i mean about trying to get bank details off sellers post sale when they are not already there, its a bruddy pain, many do send them through with their invoice but i predict ebay will tighten this up also and automate that process so they cant, that will be next year, march is my pick or april.

cueperkins

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 11:32:05 AM »
Actually GR8...I've had various sellers assure me that their details were in checkout when they were not.....and now that you bring up the Debit Authority, yes, Ebay imposed this straight after the ACCC issue....and I even wrote to ACCC about it at the time...just found the emails.

I forgot about it, but you're right, many sellers would be reticent to give Ebay a debit authority just to put their bank deposit details in checkout.

Can any of you sellers confirm this ?.....Do ebay require a debit authority for you to have your b/deposit details in checkout?  If so, it's rather extortionate isn't it?  I'm just doing an analysis on Ebay's 'Safe Payment Methods' Speil and where they get to b/deposit, they go on about identity theft?.....GIVE ME A BREAK....read Paypal's UA and see if it's any more secure if your identity get's stolen or data intercepted, or your account cleaned out??????

gr8-expectations

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »
or frozen for 120 days for no good reason lol

gr8-expectations

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 11:49:31 AM »
that has never happened to me but on hearsay i believ it has happened to some very reliable sellers

gr8-expectations

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 11:51:23 AM »
its a scroller the same as any ua, but when you read it they are actually getting an authority from you to direct debit fees, thats definite because on my ebay account i went through this personally and noted it on the ebay rt at the time, what happened, in that case i agreed because i wanted my bank details to show and that was the ONLY way to get them to show post ACCC

gr8-expectations

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »
under FOI or whateever i could get a copy of this agreement by requesting from ebay in theory

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 12:51:01 PM »
On the matter of "screen shots":

The PC’s “Print Screen” key will copy the whole screen image onto the clipboard; you can then paste that image into a photo editing program of some sort where you can “rub out” any identifying features and then save the image as a jpg or whatever.

The only problem with such simple screen shots is that you only get what is on the screen; it may be better to “print” the active window to PDF; that way you get the whole document; PDFs can then be saved as bitmaps and further edited if necessary.

cueperkins

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 02:55:38 PM »
lmao....you do realise you just said all that to a computer numpty?....hehehehe....I'll have to get that translated first...like where or what is the PC Print Screen Key?...lol

it may be better to “print” the active window to PDF; that way you get the whole document; PDFs can then be saved as bitmaps and further edited if necessary.

aha....and I'll know how to do that right after someone gives me step by step instructions......lmao....numpty alert....stand clear
:throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc: :throwpc:

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 03:23:38 PM »
Oh, dear me, Cupie, how long did you say you had been using a computer?

On my keyboard the “Print Screen” key is in the top row of keys on the right hand side; it should be clearly marked “Print Screen”. You can see how it works by hitting that key and then pasting the resulting image into MS Word or the like. But then you want to crop the image, and edit out identifying features (why? I submit my articles to eBay for comment and they simply ignore me; this organisation is simply too big and clumsy and stupid to get out of its own way, or haven’t you yet noticed). I use something a bit more up-market, but Word has a “paint” program included I think.

If you have never used a “paint” / “bitmap editing” program then you have a little learning to do; if you have a printer or a camera there usually is a simple bitmap editing program (such as Photo Shop Elements) included with them.

The full version of Adobe Acrobat (and its clones)—not just the Acrobat Reader—are installed as a “printer” and you “print” the required document to PDF. That creates a digital “PDF” file rather a hard copy via your printer. Again you would have to obtain Acrobat (or one of its clones) to do it that way.

Maybe you should find a book on the basics of such matters.

cueperkins

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »
I'm not that much of a numpty phil......It's the language that I don't automatically understand.....Once I learn something, I know how to do it, but probably couldn't explain the in's and outs of it all to anyone else....lol.

I'm using Jasc Paint Shop Pro to edit photo's, so I don't need to learn to use that....I have found the Print Screen Key, but have never actually used it because I use the computer most of the time for work....if I don't use a particular function in my work, I don't generally learn it until an opportunity like this arises....so, I'll try the print screen function and see how I go...Ta !

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 07:27:22 PM »
Cover me!

I'm going to click

PRINT!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »
YOU TOUCHA THE INSERT FLASH I BREAKYA FINGERS !

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 10:02:49 PM »

Brumby, You make the mistake of believing anything that eBay says;

Now there's a fascinating take on my post.

Phil, Phil, Phil..... You have not paid much attention to what I actually said, have you?

<edited 10:08>

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2009, 08:06:23 AM »
Brumby, You make the mistake of believing anything that eBay says;

Now there's a fascinating take on my post.
Phil, Phil, Phil..... You have not paid much attention to what I actually said, have you?
<edited 10:08>

Brumby, Brumby, Brumby,

Your initial response was built around your statement:

I will not argue against the possibility stated above, but I do disagree with the phrase "no other purpose".
    There is a very clear "other purpose".

and you then suggested three other possibilities. In my response thereto, I simply reaffirmed my belief that there was no other (material) purpose and gave the reasons why I believed that none of your three suggestions were valid reasons (or indeed the real reason) for eBay’s application of masked bidding aliases.

I make the assumption that for you to believe that there was any degree of validity, to any of those reasons that you gave, you must have actually believed some statement that eBay has made, because eBay is the one that habitually touts the totally deceptive “security and privacy” of bidders nonsense as being the reason for their application of “hidden bidders”.

You, apparently, are presuming that eBay actually cares about the privacy and security of bidders—they don’t! If they did, they would make some attempt to effectively and proactively control shill bidding—they won’t; any such action would lessen their revenue. eBay is only interested in looking after eBay; the rest of us have to look after ourselves.

Me, I always look to the total reverse of absolutely anything that eBay says for the truth of the matter.

I am therefore truly at a loss to understand what it is that you find “fascinating” about my response to your response to my OP. Could I be so bold as to suggest that it is you that have “not paid much attention to what I actually said”.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2009, 12:27:02 PM »
lmao....you do realise you just said all that to a computer numpty?....hehehehe....I'll have to get that translated first...like where or what is the PC Print Screen Key?...lol

it may be better to “print” the active window to PDF; that way you get the whole document; PDFs can then be saved as bitmaps and further edited if necessary.

aha....and I'll know how to do that right after someone gives me step by step instructions......lmao....numpty alert....stand clear

Cue, you can do all this with the programs that are already in XP pro......

[attachment deleted by admin]

cueperkins

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »
Joisus...that's what I mean...I'll PM ya when I'm ready to do screen shots and you can tell me where to go then OK Yib?....hehehe

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 12:43:52 PM »
Yibs why would you go and simplfy the matter when some had managed to complicate it so beautifully

cueperkins

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »
Exactly....

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2009, 01:36:42 PM »
Exactly....

Cue...MS power point presentation is also good { part of MS office no more to spend ~ read tight ass LOL }and and screen shots can be modified with comments , pic's, animations, just about anything you want,  I created a sample but it will not load as countess has restrictions in place that will not allow me to post this type of content.... BUT ! I converted it to a pic to get around Tessa's rule so you can see it...LOLOL

[attachment deleted by admin]

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2009, 02:42:46 PM »
I make the assumption that for you to believe that there was any degree of validity, to any of those reasons that you gave, you must have actually believed some statement that eBay has made

Q.E.D.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2009, 03:01:02 PM »
I make the assumption that for you to believe that there was any degree of validity, to any of those reasons that you gave, you must have actually believed some statement that eBay has made

Q.E.D.

Jeeees Brumby put in the missing pieces.......LOL

Q.E.D.
is an abbreviation of the Latin phrase quod erat demonstrandum, which literally means "which was to be demonstrated". The phrase is written in its abbreviated form at the end of a mathematical proof or philosophical argument to signify that the last statement deduced was the one to be demonstrated; the abbreviation thus signals the completion of the proof.

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2009, 05:11:32 PM »
Does that mean that Brumby accepts my comment as being "proved"? Or maybe it's an eBay-type statement, where the meaning is actually the opposite of what is said?

(And Isn't Google a wonderful thing?)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2009, 06:21:04 PM »
Phil, I will try to make this very clear - but I fear it will be a futile exercise.

- You make assumptions, without any elements of substantiation other than your own opinion.
- You include details which are fabricated, unsubstantiated and tenuous at best
- You then ascribe this position to your 'opponent' and proceed to denounce it
- You presume opinion differing from yours originates from eBay propaganda
- You then continue as if you have achieved a commanding position in the argument.

Is it any wonder why I find your interpretations fascinating?

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2009, 09:36:34 PM »
Brumby,

You are right, it clearly is a futile exercise. I will happily ignore your responses in future; maybe you could return the favour and ignore mine, particularly my OPs.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2009, 11:40:10 PM »
It has always been my considered approach to be neutral and open-minded as much as possible in any discussion - particularly with those who have expended time and energy delving into the details of their subject. 

You may even recall me affording you the same courtesy not so long ago.

However, if there is an element of a discussion where I perceive a closer examination is warranted - whether through error in fact, need for clarification, exploration of other possibilities or other similar reasons - then I am quite prepared delve into it.  More often than not, it won't be to the detriment of the original argument.

Such is the case of my contribution to this thread.

Now you may object to my ignorance of so much of the evidence you have assembled that I dare to even raise a question, but to suggest my silence on any topic you present is somewhat of a cop-out.  History has many examples where contrary opinion was 'discouraged'.  It didn't make the proponents right.

An analogy....

Phil, you are like a guy who built his car, literally, from the ground up.  There isn't a nut, bolt, bracket, cable, panel, nook or cranny that he doesn't know about. He can tell you the compression ratios, the horsepower, the noise levels and the fuel economy in the city, on the highway, towing a caravan or with a boot full of beer.  He can name all the colours of the panels, trim, highlights and pinstriping as well as their origins.

So it is with you and your efforts on shill bidding.

But as you drive up the street and object to people shaking their head and pointing at you, be careful when you stick your head out and say "You don't know what's under the bonnet or anything else about this car. I built it and know it all, so don't try telling me anything's wrong!  It's running beautifully, I'm not speeding, it has the lowest emissions ever recorded and it's the perfect car!"

A bit silly when you're driving the wrong way up a one-way street.

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »
On the matter of the "trading in feedback" (at $0.01 per increment), that eBay cannot but be aware of, but nevertheless does nothing about, the following link may be of interest to scrupulous eBayers; may be of interest to some naive unscrupulous sellers too:
http://www.ebuster.co.uk/SellingFeedBack/AllSellingFeedback.aspx

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2009, 06:27:57 PM »
Had a look at that link. Not a small list - and yet I'm sure even the author would admit there are more sellers who belong on it.

Picked one at random and had a look at the listing. The 'product' on sale was an e-book (surprise, surprise) that supposedly showed you how to gain 100 feedback very quickly.  This seller didn't even try to hide the fact that they were dealing with generating feedback... and I quote:

"Your feedback score represents the number of eBay members that are satisfied with the transaction that has taken place between you and the other party. So it stands to reason, that the higher your feedback score, the more comfortable someone will be when they look into doing business with you."

I can see where the 'unscrupulous sellers' Phil refers to would be very interested in that line.

I can also see eBay not wanting to give up a listing fee and, when challenged, eBay could say "The seller is only selling information - which isn't against the rules.  He has to earn his feedback on that sale by doing right by his buyer."

This is the same as saying someone is not selling marijuana - they're only selling the book on how to grow, harvest and use marijuana.  The principles are the same for the eBook product on feedback, but not as obvious.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if eBay trotted out that line if challenged.

Intriguing though, isn't it, that eBay killed eBooks here - and flew the 'selling feedback is a no-no' flag over proceedings.

Double standards at the very least ....

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 09:09:02 AM »
Even more interesting are the sellers’ linked Feedback Profiles, in which are listed the people buying such feedback. Fortunately, eBay has not (yet) given such unscrupulous “users” the opportunity to hide behind a “masked alias” so one can very easily check to see if these buyers are indeed sellers and what sort of activity is taking place on their auctions. You will note however that many of these “traders in feedback” are running “private listings.” Gee, I wonder why?

Of course, one has to ask the same question that eBuster asks, when is eBay going to do something about this outrageous abuse of their feedback system? One could expect eBay to at least give these cheats a masked alias to hide behind.

Does anyone not yet understand how totally devious and unscrupulous is this organisation which I call criminal, eBay?

eBay needs a very brave young knight, in shining armour and riding a beautiful white stallion, to come forward and defend her. Where are you ***? Come on people let’s hear from someone brave enough to try to defend eBay on this matter.

Admin/Mod: moderated post

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 12:23:51 PM »
Admin/Mod: moderated post

Aw, come on!
What did it say!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2009, 12:03:13 AM »
Now if the original text were displayed - then it would negate the intention of the moderation, wouldn't it?

I don't think there is a lot to complain about with the degree of moderation here.  I'm rather confident in it's fairness and conscientiousness.

I could hazard a guess, but to post that would, aside from being pure speculation, be leaning into the area of discussing moderated material, which would risk being moderated itself.  So I won't go there.

On the issue of the feedback profiles, I did a little diving.  By going into it one or two or sometimes three levels, you get mental pictures of a seller from their buyers.  After reading the seller's feedback, you step down a level to see what the buyers who left neg or neutral were like. (More can be said on this for buyer awareness when looking to purchase, but I'll not go into that now.)

This exercise has a by-product: illustrating links between product purchased and re-sold.  In this case, the chain of feedback in these sellers has the intriguingly repetitive theme in item titles - along the lines of "how to get heaps of feedback in a short time", with the sub-text "without really earning it".

The intent is to misrepresent the assessment of a seller's integrity - something most good sellers wouldn't feel right about, but something those less honorable would grab with glee.

I should probably add that this 'abuse' of the feedback system is not a new concept at all.  It stems from the practice of trying to measure tenuous or abstract qualities by setting quantifying criteria - known as a metric.  EBay has some obvious ones: Feedback ratings and four DSRs.

Once a metric has been assigned, previously difficult assessments became far more manageable - measuring workflow efficiency or staff performance, for example - since it could all be brought back to a number or grading.  That is, until those who were being measured worked out how the numbers could be manipulated.  At that point, the very purpose of introducing the metric was compromised, devaluing all and rendering many essentially useless.  However, it is likely that it will take a significant amount of time before the failing correlation between metrics and tangible results (say, between workflow efficiency and cost centre revenue, for example).  Further, since the original effort in researching, designing and implementing metrics is, in many cases, a significant investment, there is a high confidence in its veracity (which leads to management blindness) and, thus, high inertia in changing it.  So until the excreta hits the ventilator, fun and games are enjoyed by those who 'play the system'.

.. and the organisation, as a whole, suffers.

EBay's feedback is a classic example - but has a mercenary twist.  EBay does not need to have the feedback system accurately reflect buyer and seller reputation (the reason all we punters had believed) - it just needs to see their 'bottom line' at its best.  So, in my opinion, the only way eBay are likely to voluntarily make changes is to protect that bottom line.

Oh, yes, and that doesn't mean they would make the changes WE want, just the ones that they think are worth the most to that bottom line.

Back to the feedback...!  My, it almost looks like pyramid selling with all those eBooks being sold... and resold... and resold... and resold.......

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2009, 12:05:21 AM »

I could hazard a guess, but to post that would, aside from being pure speculation, be leaning into the area of discussing moderated material, which would risk being moderated itself.  So I won't go there.

Genuinely smart!