Author Topic: What Lives in Your Memory as the BEST thing You Ever Bought Online ?  (Read 14567 times)

frangi

Despite the gloom hovering over online buying at the moment, you're bound to have happy memories of at least one thing you bought online, right ?

What was it ... and do you still have it ?

Maybe it only cost a few cents, or perhaps you happily blew the budget.  But what, for you, was your happiest online purchase ?

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
Re: What Lives in Your Memory as the BEST thing You Ever Bought Online ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 08:24:30 PM »
I bid for & won a Pearson compound bow, brand new with sight,  USA Ebay. The price for such an item here would be around A$1,500 & I got it landed at my door for A$450.

Ripper,

frangi

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 08:44:17 PM »
Oh, beautiful, Ubbrd  :t2:

Mine was a genuine multi diamond ring from the early 1900s .. Art Deco style I think it would be .. geometrical design.  Platinum, old cut diamonds and gold.   Bought it on the old SOLD.com. for $52  (!!!!)

She was a great seller, a real character.  We used to email back and forth like regular old penpals, almost every night.  I bought quite a bit from her.   At the time, our local post office must have been staffed by Mafia members or something .. they were even ripping open my Registered mail items.  I forced AP's corporate security group to investigate, wrote the appropriate Minister and to Aust. Post's headquarters.  In the end, although AP denied any wrong-doing on the part of the staff in question, they nevertheless got rid of the lot of them.  Coincidence, obviously ...

As consequence and during all the above, I asked my seller friend to hang onto my items until such times as it seemed safe to send them.  She was fine with that and I kept on buying, even sending down money in advance so that there was a hefty balance which I intended to use to buy more.

Then, she just disappeared off the radar.  I'd left it too long, even though she'd assured me all my things (and there were some gorgeous items amongst them .. genuine antique jewellery, etc.) were safely in a drawer at her place.

Tried to contact her several times. No response.  So all I have to show for it is the lovely multi diamond ring.  All my fault.  But it's a lovely ring, and to this day, I'll claim I only paid $52 for it (and we'll forget the several hundreds of dollars in items I lost, lol)

mtnlane

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 01:46:05 AM »
I collect antique samplers and I have a collection of beautiful ones I bought on eBay - mostly from the U.K.  I treasure them :-)

Primaryaim

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 10:03:24 AM »
I needed a spare single bed for when the grandkidlets visit so bid and won one very close to home.

The final bid price was $5 (but I gave him the snipe amount I had put in because the bed was in such great shape and I loved it).

When I picked it up I chatted with the elderly seller who was such a lovely person. The bed had been his since he was a child. 

He said he felt sad to be selling it etc. etc. a bit like he was selling a pet.  It has unusual ends with turned spokes etc., just lovely.

I assured him it was going to a good home and would be appreciated, as it really is. I love it, you don't see beds made like it any more and it will be handed down in my family and never sold.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 01:22:18 PM »
I have bought so many fantastic things on eBay... I'll only mention a few.

An antique Victorian brass bell, elaborately chased with almost mediæval-looking animals and with Latin inscription. It has the most beautiful tone I have ever heard.

From Romans to Merovingians - essential source book, hard to find.

A long-out-of-print classic computer game (adventure).

A CD of Elly Ameling singing Schubert & Mozart; I THINK I've got all her recordings now...

I've also bought so much for friends & relatives who are ill, in hospital, etc., mostly books, audiobooks, games, etc. Those are memorable purchases because each was greeted with so much joy by the recipient.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

regulus*

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 03:33:37 PM »
Being able to buy the things I collect directly from sellers overseas is what I love best about shopping on ebay. Rather than one thing it is being able to add to my collection.

imperfect

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 06:20:06 PM »
yep same for me Nova.

Before www, I use to go years without adding anything special, now...hehehehe, well it happens a little more often.

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 10:58:33 PM »
Best thing I've bought?

Hmmmm....
Nothing classy or collectable for me !

1. Final book in a series I had been reading, that wasn't going to be released in Oz for ages. I got it for a song from a USA seller - and onsold after reading it so it cost me nothing!

2. Lots of pieces of silver and semi precious stone jewelry- again from a USA seller. Stuff you pay a lot for here, if you can find it. I was devastated when it was all stolen - most are one offs so I haven't been able to replace them *sigh*

3. A pair of cute black strappy dressy shoes. Now many would think this is a ho-hum, but I have large, extra wide feet, so shoe buying is a chore. Cute strappy ones that fit are rare as hen's teeth!

;D

Golden Silence

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »
My best buy was a drum kit I won for my son. He'd put it on my watch list and I told him he couldn't have it but had already decided to surprise him with it. The look on his face when he was finally presented with them was pure gold and something I will never forget. (I'm sure the neighbours wished it had come with earplugs though).

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »
Oh, that's a lovely idea - "no, you can't have it", and then... bam! It's there!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

stemschicky

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 04:58:30 PM »
My best buys were the cross stitch collection by Olga Gostin, the Australian Heritage Series....

Some are still avail at spotlight, but a lot of the series are getting really hard to find, I have the whole set now, have stitched 4 out of the 10!

They are so beautiful

sevenmurphys

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 05:43:43 PM »
I just asked OH and he said his is a set of french books he had been after for ages, he bought them for $110, from other sources (like amazon or biblioz) they were 10x that amount.
I have a few, probably the best one is the bear that is in my avatar picture. His name is Bilberry by artist Jill Baxter. I wanted this guy sooo much when he first appeared in shops but at $800 odd I couldn't afford him at the time. Several years later I stumbled across him on eBay by chance, I bought him for $145 and he arrived in the mail on my birthday!

Primaryaim

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 05:45:57 PM »
That's nice sevenmurphys, all good things come to those who wait, eh? :)