Author Topic: What camera/s do you use for what shots?  (Read 225213 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: What camera/s do you use for what shots?
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2010, 06:07:06 PM »
Getting carried away with the digital stuff and forgetting some basic photography!

Shyer has raised a very useful subject - depth-of-field...

Basically:
 - wider aperture = narrower depth of field (and shorter exposure times)
 - smaller aperture = greater depth of field (and longer exposure times)

For some shots, such as your insect above, having a narrow depth-of-field gives you a soft, fuzzy background, allowing the sharp image of the subject to stand out and draw the viewer's attention.

In other shots, having a very great depth-of-field is necessary to produce the desired result.  Some of these are macro shots of the foreground subject, but with in-focus backgrounds.  They can make for some very interesting pictures.

Getting technical ... depth-of-field is the range of distances where an image appears to be sharp.

I say 'appears' because an image is only ever focussed at a single distance.  Any part of a subject closer or further away from the plane of focus will become progressively 'fuzzier'.  The size of the aperture affects the rate at which this fuzziness occurs with change of distance.  The smaller the aperture, the lower the rate of 'fuzziness' and the greater the depth-of-field.

However, while that fuzziness doesn't spill over into a neighbouring pixel on the sensor (for digital cameras) that part of the image will still look as sharp as it would be if it was directly focussed on.  Even when this 'spilling over' does occur, the number of pixels that can be affected, yet still display a 'sharp' image, will depend on the resolution of the image, cropping, degree of enlargement, viewer distance and things like that.  (The same principles apply to film cameras - but the grain size of the film is the equivalent to the pixel size in a digital camera.)

One other thing - if you have depth-of-field markings on your camera, understand they are only a suggestion as to the acceptable range.  If you were to take photos that require high sharpness and were blown up to large sizes, you would soon see that this depth-of-field scale was far too generous - and you would need to observe a narrower scale for acceptable results.

So, while the maths and the physics show that true sharpness through the 'depth-of-field' is not the case, the human eye is the only thing that really counts - so that means it is real.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2010, 06:06:24 PM »
For anyone who wants to learn a bit more about Photoshop, there is a great book on sale at The Book Depository (US) at the moment:

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780321580092/The-Adobe-Photoshop-CS4-Book

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2010, 06:20:42 PM »
What a ripper Wheels. $10 wow. I just ordered it.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2010, 04:33:30 PM »
Read the write-up on it.

For the money, to me it's worth getting to see if there are easier ways of doing things, confirming my own practices, getting some new ideas or picking up some more background information.

Even if you don't use that software, I reckon there will be $10 worth of ideas that can be applied to other programs.

Mine cost me $10.03 AUD with free postage to Australia...  can't argue with that.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2010, 04:37:59 PM »
Yep Brum6y, great value. I haven't got Photoshop cs4 but I've got Photoshop Elements (compliments of one of our GR8 members) so hopefully I will pick up some tips. I'm having difficulty understanding some of the applications available in PS Elements so maybe the book will lead me to a better understanding.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »
Good move.

Also, since I'm getting the same book, if you have any questions that can be referred to a section of the book, give me the chapter and verse and I might be able to shed some light. 

No promises.  I'm self-taught, but I'll help where I can.... but if your learning skills are as good as you demonstrated on the 'How to be a contender for the Last Word' lesson I sent you, you will do well.  (Still can't get over that - one lesson and first shot hits centre bull and scores a win)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2010, 05:55:14 PM »
$10.03! The exchange rate must have dropped! This same book is listed on eBay for over $40.

I still have it sitting in my shopping cart with a few other books so I better go and finish the purchase before it goes up again. I buy a lot from both their US and UK sites (same books listed but prices vary). Very good prices, good delivery times and well packaged. All books are sent individually, unless you buy multiples of the one book, so there really is no need for me to have waited to build up an order because the delivery is included in each price.

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »
I just ordered it too. I have been using photoshop business edition because I knew how to use. Abode stopped that version 10 years ago now and does not work on vile vista or new 7 so an update is needed soon.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2010, 10:03:01 PM »
My book arrived today.

I'm still amazed at the price.

Simply packed into a pre-formed book mailer which has extended ends, so the mailer gets the corners bashed in - not the book. 3.5 / 4 corners were bashed in. Book was fine.

Only had a quick look, but if you're starting out with Photoshop CS4, I'd put it down as an essential.  Lots of step-by-step instructions. Lots of examples.

I've even come across a couple of things I do in several steps (utilising my experience) that Photoshop can do in one (by a numpty).

Might start looking for Photoshop.... right after I find the funding.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2010, 10:15:24 PM »
Brum6y,

Sounds like you're happy with the book.  ;D  The price has since dropped to $9.90!

That site is great for bargains. I regularly troll through and look for books that are 50% - 80% off. Being in AU$ and including postage it's easy to keep track of spending whereas when I'm shopping on Amazon sometimes I forget until I'm at checkout that I've been adding up US$.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2010, 10:29:01 PM »
WHAT!!???

The price dropped..?!!!

* ripping hair out ...
     stomping and screaming ...
  dog is cowering ...
           cat has disappeared ...
     the other humans are -

are -

are .....

Huh?

13 cents?

Ohhhhhhh....... :)

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2010, 11:23:46 PM »
Yeah Brum6y, mine arrived today. I can't work out how they can make a profit, $10 including post from the UK. The book itself is excellent.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2010, 09:06:48 PM »
Enough to make a bloke give up surfing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Enough to make a bloke give up fishing.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2010, 09:48:35 PM »
after reading their lips....

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2010, 09:55:03 PM »
Good one Brum6y. I wish I knew how to do that.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2010, 10:55:45 PM »
Here's a visualisation I made up from the image I prepared.....

It shows 4 'layers'.  The bottom one has the original picture and each of the three layers above has one of the speech bubbles with text. You will see that these upper layers are pretty empty - each one only has a speech bubble, the rest is transparent.

One reason (a big one) as to why you use layers is that you can select just that layer to do stuff - such as moving things around, changing colours or any of a hundered things.  I created the text bubble in one layer and added the text (which also had its own layer - but I merged or 'flattened' those two layers together for each speech bubble layer... so, at one stage I actually had 7 layers!)

Because the speech bubbles were in their own layer, I could move each of them anywhere around the picture.  When I was happy with their placement, I then added the pointy bit which went to each of the figures in the boat.

Layers allow you to do much cleverer things than speech bubbles.  Merging parts of other photos to produce your own composite is one you can have fun with.  The good thing is, the complete image in each layer is still preserved, so you can shuffle things around and not have to worry about 'filling in' bits of your picture that were covered up before.

Be aware, though, not all image file types support layers.  JPG/JPEG is one that doesn't - just the one image.  It can be very easily created by 'flattening' a multi-layer image in a program like Photoshop - but you can never reverse the process.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2010, 11:03:20 PM »

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2010, 11:30:01 PM »
Photobucket ain't Photoshop.

Photobucket speech bubbles are Photobucket speech bubbles.

An understanding of layers is a basic step to a whole lot more than just speech bubbles...

You're the one, Wheels, that put several of us onto that Photoshop CS4 book - remember!!

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2010, 11:41:27 PM »
I know, I know Brum6y.  ;D

I used to spend all my working day working in photoshop. I just thought if anyone wants to add a speech bubble to a pic that they already have in photobucket then that is another alternative.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2010, 11:43:49 PM »
Oh, and I've just been browsing through my The Book Dep and there are some 2011 calendars already available, including Big Breasts and Big Penises!

:flash:  :o

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2010, 11:44:32 PM »
Oh, and I've just been browsing through my The Book Dep and there are some 2011 calendars already available, including Big Breasts and Big Penises!

:flash:  :o

GR8 has both

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2010, 11:45:17 PM »
 :lol: :lol:

gr8-expectations

« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2010, 12:31:22 PM »
recorded ..... (lol) trust u master smee ...hehe

DOUBLE THE CHANCES!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »
 :funaward:
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »
No comment is my comment I also got my book on friday BARGAINNNNN.

On a seroius note, look at this photo set on flicker done with Raynox 150 and 250 lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40328999@N02/4169436653/in/set-72157622719063271/

Done with canon sx10 a camera selling from $500 new to $300 for good used units. The local camera club is ordering sets of the 150 and 250 with mount, brand new Raynox Canada warranty. Will be about $140 depending on exchange rate and post. PM me if interested Austrailan price $250.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
Check out this idiot.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2010, 04:26:45 PM »
must be an idiot ..... fancy drinking Lipton Iced Tea instead of Pepsi Max !!!!

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2010, 05:07:01 PM »
You spotted it Smee, good one.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »
No comment is my comment I also got my book on friday BARGAINNNNN.

On a seroius note, look at this photo set on flicker done with Raynox 150 and 250 lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40328999@N02/4169436653/in/set-72157622719063271/

Done with canon sx10 a camera selling from $500 new to $300 for good used units. The local camera club is ordering sets of the 150 and 250 with mount, brand new Raynox Canada warranty. Will be about $140 depending on exchange rate and post. PM me if interested Austrailan price $250.

amazing sharp and beautiful photo shyer, lovely work, must be a great lens and good eye of yours to spot and snap that one

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2010, 07:31:16 PM »
Check out this idiot.

Self portrait of a hair follicle.

But if that lens can focus to that distance - I WANT ONE!

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »
amazing sharp and beautiful photo shyer, lovely work, must be a great lens and good eye of yours to spot and snap that one

Not my photos wish some of them were, especailly considering the cost of the equipment total some $600 new 1/2 that Second hand.

Brumby you CAN focus that close with the  Raynox macro lens, they are a tiny three piece lens . Not a cheap distorting (in high magnifications) close up filter.

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2010, 11:20:31 AM »
PS touch here is link to photo set of stamps macro, to what I class as micro 30 times or more life size.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11976328@N03/sets/72157601617898886/detail/

Here is link to new 100mm f 2.6 macro lens and with raynox 250 again lots of light needed all hand held a mono pod minimum is really needed at max magnification

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11957042@N05/4487770021/in/set-72157623639606783/

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2010, 05:09:54 PM »
Shyer. The macro photos at Reply #125 are brilliant.

I'm getting better with Photoshop Elements 5 (thanks Gr8). When I get the chance I'll post a couple for you people to critique, it's the best way to learn.
In the meantime have a gander at this one. I cleaned up some mud from the flower using Photoshop.

I had to downgrade it's quality so it would appear.

The photo is crowded but I wanted the flower to feature.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2010, 05:43:14 PM »
I'm trying to download the original photo (560kb's) but the message I get is, "Uploader is full, contact administrator" What does that mean?

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
How's this one? The original with a lot more Megabites looks very clear

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2010, 08:39:41 AM »
Hi Ubbie,

Both photos are technically very good and a good example of what high quality photos, cheapish digital cameras can achieve. With good focus , modes and exposure.

The first photo is interesting as it shows the bottom petal dying and about to drop. For a text book  more centralised and cropped maybe. But for composition is nice to be off center. My personal choice would be to blur the back ground a bit more, to concentrate the viewers eye on the subject.

The second photo I like a lot two points of interest and a good natural background.
Look at this and droll like me. I think about a $4000 camera, flash and lens set but still basically hand held and in difficult field conditions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1260946/The-stunning-pictures-sleeping-insects-covered-early-morning-dew.html

Nightparrot

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2010, 11:36:15 AM »
Shyer, they are sensational....

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2010, 06:48:58 PM »
Shyer. I've been doing more Photoshop experiments. It's got so much stuff I get lost.

I sort of worked out how to put a coloured foreground on a greyscale background. I had to soften this background as it is pretty crouded but I'll work it out, I hope.

I'm also having trouble scaling photos for printing, I better read the instructions.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2010, 07:22:13 PM »
Another suggestion to tone back a busy background....

Select the background then reduce contrast and brightness.  Reducing contrast alone will just turn the background into a faded mish-mash and just reducing the brightness alone will mean the darker areas will fall below black level and you will lose all detail there.  By doing both, you darken the background detail without losing it - which makes the result look more natural.

This is just a quick effort on my part to give you an idea, but you can take it to whatever degree suits you...

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2010, 07:37:27 PM »
Look at this and droll like me. I think about a $4000 camera, flash and lens set but still basically hand held and in difficult field conditions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1260946/The-stunning-pictures-sleeping-insects-covered-early-morning-dew.html

Photographers are a varied bunch...   Some of the most interesting shots come from innovative and unusual approaches.

These are quite fascinating.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2010, 08:25:16 PM »
That looks much better Brum6y. I'll work out how to do it. Photoshop takes for granted that people like me understand terminology. I don't understand so it takes trial & error before I work it out.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2010, 08:56:04 PM »
Part of experience is knowing

1. What you want to do
2. What technical treatments will achieve that
3. Finding out how to do those in whatever software you have
and
4. Playing around to find the settings that give you 'What you want to do'.

I have given you one of several ideas of what can be done and the technical processes that I used to achieve it.  That is just a head start.

If I knew more about Photoshop, I could throw some better directions your way - but I don't.  Anyway, you'll likely learn a few things as you go as you pick your way through it all.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2010, 09:41:43 PM »
I still can't work out how to darken the background (I will) but I did this to it. For some wierd reason it is 100 inches x 80 inches (not mms) & when I reduce the size it gets all blury. So I emailed it to myself to reduce the size.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2010, 10:12:51 PM »
If that was an original photo - it would be a classic (and extreme) example of 'barrel distortion' - where the sides curve out, like a barrel.

Where the sides curve in, it's called pincushion distortion.

Mathematically they are treated basically the same - just the curve being in or out.  You would normally use these tools to correct those distortions on photos to get straight and square sides.

Barrel distortion is most often seen when you are close to a subject and using a (comparative) wide angle lens, such as a close-up photograph of a book and not using any zoom.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »
brumby what tool can i use with photoshop elements or photoshop normal for parrelax (sic) error please? i need this for large maps and books, atlases etc. thanks matey you are so clever OR external process after the jpeg or p/shop raw file is complete is fine too

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2010, 10:37:36 PM »
Try this.

Select the 'lasso' tool to trace around the flower.  The 'magnetic lasso' tool does the same sort of thing, but is clever and will try to follow image differences (it has some settings you can play with to help it do this more accurately).

Just click to start at a point on your photo and then trace around it.  When you're finished (right around and back to where you started) double-click and the 'lasso' loop will be closed and the part of the image inside the lasso will be selected.

Any changes to the image such as brightness, contrast, hue, saturation and so on - will only affect the selected area.

To swap this selection around so that everything outside the lasso is selected - click on 'Select' then 'Inverse'.

Then try this ... Select 'Image' => 'Adjustments' => 'Brightness/Contrast' and have a fiddle.....

Oh... my apologies, this was checked out on Photoshop Portable - not Elements.  Not sure what features Elements has...

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2010, 10:44:46 PM »
brumby what tool can i use with photoshop elements or photoshop normal for parrelax (sic) error please? i need this for large maps and books, atlases etc. thanks matey you are so clever OR external process after the jpeg or p/shop raw file is complete is fine too

Ah - the old 'Perspective' distortion problem.  This is a fun one.

Software like Photostudio and Photoshop have perspective distortion correction functions that work well if you only have distortion in ONE axis.  That is, if you are standing directly in front of a building at ground level and the building narrows towards the top because of perspective.

Where it becomes awkward with these packages is when you have perspective distortion in TWO axes.  The only package I have come across that can handle this in one operation is PaintShop Photo Pro and it does it quickly, easily and pretty well.  There may be others, but I'm not up on a lot of imaging software.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2010, 10:55:45 PM »
ok thanks brumby, i can get that one, also i can see if my software that came bundled with the scanner I have does it too, it is called photostudio and is canon's own software, not as easy to use as elements but has some advanced tools i have yet to learn, i also want to learn to splice two scans and scan large maps etc/images in two or more sections and combine

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2010, 10:59:28 PM »
I have an old version of Photostudio (v5) which came with my Canon camera.

It's what I have been using as my standard for years... so unless you have a new version with extra bits, I can answer a lot of questions about it!

Version 5 only has single axis perspective correction.