Author Topic: Listing image option?  (Read 4417 times)

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
Listing image option?
« on: October 13, 2009, 03:30:17 AM »
One thing for sure, the quality of images in listings can be poor.
Makes you wonder how some sellers actually manage turnover.

In the coin field it's very difficult to display some characteristics of an item such as surface quality and something called 'mint bloom' and 'lustre'.
It comes from the movement of metal in the forming dies and is of micro crystalline nature.
When you take a nice new coin in change and move it slowly in a point light source you can see a cartwheel effect not unlike what you see on a CD or DVD. Thats termed 'cartwheel lustre'.
Highly desirable and worth a premium on an old coin that has been treated kindly over the years.

Likewise, difficult to show design detail especially when they are small coins and such details on an 'error' coin can be very small.

This is an image/video shot to promote discussion on an alternative not limited to coin marketing.
Takes a good camera to shoot macro video, but they are out there. This was done rough intentionally to challenge others to do better.  It's a valuable coin, being a gross manufacturing error and a low mintage year. Hard to tell but it's a Halfpenny... 1mm larger than a $1 coin.

Has anyone seen this in a listing before?
Can you do better than this rough effort?

[click on image and it goes to play in a new window]

pobox486cronulla@hotmail.com    I have NO HERO'S or IDOLS.  I will question everything and anyone having faith only in myself.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Listing image option?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 05:01:36 AM »
Very Nice Misha, I wish more items were sold this way, you can only describe so much in text and 2D Images, particularly when there are nuances such as you have described.

Ideal for showing off, as you stated the finer details, there is an Artist that sells his work on Ebay that uses a similar video representation on all his listings, although he uses it more to prove he is the actual artist rather than to show any detail of his product as such.

They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Listing image option?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:07:31 AM »
It certainly gives far better detail and sense of the whole item to use a short video like that.

I like the idea. It would be ideal for good quality jewellery to be presented in this way as well, and antique books of course would benefit greatly from a video presentation.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"