Author Topic: UPDATES on the FLOODS AFTERMATH & UPDATES on FLOOD RELIEF  (Read 31642 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: UPDATES on the FLOODS AFTERMATH & UPDATES on FLOOD RELIEF
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 04:28:50 PM »
Can I suggest we all stop kicking sand in other people's faces?

I would like to make two points - the first of which should be no surprise to anyone:

1. We have many members here and there are those that have very steadfast opinions - which can, and do, differ. Differences of opinion are going to happen and discussion can get intense. Let's not get burned by our own fire-in-the-belly.

2. It is often the case that the strands of argument are wrongly intermingled - and I have seen countless examples of all-in brawls erupt from simple oversights.  I admire a well argued case that follows logical sequences with acknowledgement of valid points by an opponent - but when things go off track, it annoys me no end.

In this thread, I have seen both of the above and it is getting absurd.

From my observation (correct me if I'm wrong ... I will let you do that) there are two components of the 'energetic' discussion.

The first is the arithmetic behind the flood levy, as defined by tables, calculations and journalistic comment. In general - setting all the flames to one side - everybody is saying the same thing ...

The second is a statement made by the PM - which is incorrect as it associates one amount with the wrong salary scale. This is the only real issue I have with this sub-topic - and I put it as a point earlier in this thread, yet noone has addressed it, yet it appears to me to be the initial 'difference of opinion' that has (incorrectly) dragged in the original arithmetic - and we are now seeing a vehement argument for the same thing.  The facts have been overrun by the fervour.

The logic of this part of the discussion has been compromised - and I fear that, if it continues, moderation will be demanded.  I pray that we avoid that.

DuffyDuck

• Knight
  • Just send all donations to duffy@playduck.com
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »

Actually I have just read back of the last few posts and noticed that I was being vindictive, rude, obnoxious , silly , pigheaded and spiteful to another member

It's good to see that we can agree on certain issue's.
Love your work.

Hey stop cramping my style!!

Deliberately leaving out the whole picture and taking things out of context is my department!
I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 05:53:11 PM »
Let’s get this sorted so that we can all agree on what’s being said.

First of all, what did Julia Gillard say about the figures?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/julia-gillard-to-announce-10b-in-cuts-and-a-flood-tax/story-e6frf7jo-1225995142030?referrer=email&source=HS_email_nl&emcmp=HS&emchn=Newsletter&emlist=Member

Middle income-earners will pay 0.5 per cent of their taxable income for flood reconstruction while those on more than $100,000 will pay 1 per cent under a rebuilding levy announced today
“A person earning $100,000 per year will pay just under an extra $5 per week,” Ms Gillard said.

THE Federal Government will impose a one-off flood levy of 0.5 per cent for middle-income earners, Prime Minister Julia Gillard says.
A levy of 0.5 per cent will be applied on taxable income between $50,001 and $100,000 and a levy of one per cent will be applied on taxable income above $100,000.
"Anyone earning under $50,000 will not pay the levy," Ms Gillard told the National Press Club on Thursday.
"In other words it is not like the Medicare levy, which for most taxpayers applies to all their income - it is like income tax rates which apply only above certain income levels."
Someone who earns an income of $60,000 will pay just under $1 extra per week under the levy, Ms Gillard said.
"A person earning $100,000 per year will pay just under an extra $5 per week," she said.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/pm-julia-gillard-confirms-one-off-flood-levy/story-fn7ik2te-1225995425695

Well, let’s look at the figures.

Now – does this make sense when we compare it to what Julia Gillard said? She specifically stated “A levy of 0.5 per cent will be applied on taxable income between $50,001 and $100,000 and a levy of one per cent will be applied on taxable income above $100,000.”

But if we check this, we find a discrepancy. For example, in those nice little charts, it shows someone who earns $150,000 paying a $750 levy for the year. According to Julia Gillard, this person would be paying a 1% levy. But $750 is NOT 1% of $150,000.

It’s 0.5%.

Those charts show someone whose income is $110,000 paying a $350 levy for the year. According to Julia Gillard, this person too would be paying a 1% levy. But again, there’s a problem. $350 is NOT 1% of $110,000.

It’s  0.31818%.

The charts show someone whose income is $60,000 paying a $50 levy for the year. According to Julia Gillard, this person would be paying a .5% levy. However, $50 is NOT .5% of $60,000.

It’s 0.08333%.

Annual income     Levy (per year)
according to Julia Gillard’s stated figures

Levy (per year)
acc. to Ms Gillard’s stated percentages

Discrepancy %    
$150,000    $750    $1500    200%
$110,000    $350    $1100    314%
$60,000    $50    $300    600%

Have I made an error of logic here? I am actually hoping I have – because if not, this is an error of quite horrifying ineptitude from the government.

PLEASE - someone correct me!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2011, 06:29:35 PM »
I think you will find the percentages are marginal rates - just like income tax works.

$0 - $50,000 = 0%
$50,001 - $100,000 = 0.5%
$100,001 + = 1%

So someone on $110,000 will pay
$50,000 x 0.0% +
$50,000 x 0.5% +
$10,000 x 1.0%

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2011, 06:38:58 PM »
Hmm... then this levy is certainly a tax.

Thanks for that, Brumby.

So... someone earning $60,000 would actually be paying the levy only on $10,000, which means $50. That solves the discrepancy...

To save face, I demand to know why Julia Gillard didn't stipulate these percentages were "marginal rates"!  :5+5: :footinmouth:
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2011, 07:17:38 PM »
For A Reason NOT To Cross Running Water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgF4MHWYgjY

It's an American road slipping away.  It's not in Australia
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

Elantra

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2011, 07:17:59 PM »
I think you will find the percentages are marginal rates - just like income tax works.

$0 - $50,000 = 0%
$50,001 - $100,000 = 0.5%
$100,001 + = 1%

So someone on $110,000 will pay
$50,000 x 0.0% +
$50,000 x 0.5% +
$10,000 x 1.0%

Which is pretty much as my first post said.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »
Can I suggest we all stop kicking sand in other people's faces
yep by all means you can suggest it
will I stop doing it ?
Nope not as long as Elantra posts on this thread I wont
the rot was started by Elantra as far as attacking other posters , Elantra  refuses to engae in proper forum
debate and discussion , there have been a number of direct questions asked of Elantra all of which have gone  unaswered
Elantra does not contribute in any positive way to any threads whatsoever on this forum and in fact (as suggested by Shyer earlier) only appears on the political threads and then only to attack posters with differing opinions not to debate , but to make personal attacks,as I see it this is a breach of policy rules .. many times many of mine and other peoples posts here have either been moderated or frowned upon just because they sail close to the line or are of a controversial nature or just cos someone doesnt like the content but dont neccessarily breach rules , and yet this posters blatant breach of rules is allowed to slide ,Well Ive had a skin full of it and dont want it to get to the same situation that we have had with other clowns when people like me let it slide too long , and everyone else pussyfooted around
So as far as I am concerned the sand kicking was warranted and I will keep kicking it until either the  admin/mods tell me stop or the real perps flock off elsewhere to cause trouble or at the very least they have the decency to respond to direct questions asked of them within a thread ,until then all I can say is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MotNtq41NDw

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2011, 07:26:36 PM »
I honestly can't see any point in getting too excited about Ms Gillard lying.  All pollies lie and so do we all and just because she's the Prime Minister, doesn't make a bit of difference.  And besides, it's gonna happen whether anyone likes it or not.  And just because someone here doesn't agree with what you've said, we are all born to disagree and we should do it with a bit of dignity, instead of cutting each others throats.   :grouphug:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
What Smee said!

All of the Flamers, strokers and Trolls can just Flock the Flock Orf here, or become the subject (read: TARGET) of a serious GANG-POSTING pwning of EPIC proportion.

This Warning is Stand-Alone.

C):-{=  <" the 3 amigos are watching you! "<<
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »
C):-{=  <" the 3 amigos are watching you! "<<

yeah and when we watch we do it with eyes wide open , none of this tunnel vision crapola !

Oh and by the way Elantra ...for your next id (after you slink away again) perhaps Rebel2 would be an apt user name .......its  worth consideration ...

woooooooooops would you believe that , I kicked some sand and it had some rocks in it

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »
Smee Rocks!!!

\0/

Elantra

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »
Elantra, what part of what I said caused you concern?

I would encourage you to check the available information about what this levy will be paying for. I quote: "Q How much money will be collected and what will it be spent on? / A About $1.8 billion. It will go towards rebuilding flood damaged infrastructure such as roads and bridges, mostly in Queensland but also in Victoria." As you can see, this clearly indicates that it's the rebuilding of infrastructure that is being paid for by this levy, not the homes or businesses of flood victims.

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/flood-levy-what-you-need-to-know/story-fn6bfkm6-1225995796509
Governments have always provided reconstruction funds, except that in this case the magnitude is so great there needs to be a levy to cover it.

If you don’t agree with the levy, how about
scraping Howard/Abbott's ridiculous baby bonus for a start...what an appalling waste of billions of dollars....and means test the 'private' health insurance rebate and quit giving money to 'private' schools?

Or far more simple solution would be to defer the reduction in top end company tax rates for a year, saving about $1.5-2b over the forward estimates, negating the need for the spending cuts.

Who the hell would care if the budget is in surplus by 2012/13?
Tony Abbott that's who. You'd never hear the end of it.
He'd come up with another one of his great big slogans....

Howard had 6 Levies and all but 1 was when they had a surplus.
Howard's milk levy? Gun levy? Sugar levy? Ansett levy?
All taxes?

Frankly, I'm hugely impressed by Gillard's handling of this issue so I guess we cancel each other out.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2011, 12:42:50 AM »
Elantra, it is clear that we have different perspectives on this.

I want to state here that ENOUGH of making an issues-based discussion any sort of personal attack. Everyone, I am asking that bygones be bygones, and disagreements remain focused on the issues.

Now - you're saying that "in this case the magnitude is so great there needs to be a levy to cover it." Let's look at what the government has been getting already through our taxes.

Individuals income taxation:   $137,070,000,000
Company and petroleum resources rent and taxation:   $68,380,000,000
Sales taxes:   $51,320,000,000
Borrowings (Budget Deficit):   $32,823,000,000
Non-tax revenue:   $19,365,000,000
Petroleum excise:   $16,110,000,000
Other excise:   $9,120,000,000
Superannuation taxation:   $7,170,000,000
Customs duty:   $6,770,000,000
Fringe benefits taxation:   $4,010,000,000
Other taxation:   $2,506,000,000
TOTAL government revenue in 2010-11:   $354,644,000,000.00

That’s 354,644 million dollars. It’s perhaps easier to comprehend in trillions – it’s $35.5 trillion.

Are you honestly saying that the government cannot afford to rebuild the infrastructure in the flood-affected areas, in the light of this?

Do you believe it is not the government's responsibility to rebuild? Do you believe that taxes are not collected in part to deal with precisely this sort of problem?

Consider the issue of foreign aid. It's lovely to be able to help other countries, but does it not strike some irony that when disaster hits here in our own country, the Australian citizens have to put up a fifth of the infrastructure rebuilding cost themselves? How much will the rebuilding cost? (I ask this rhetorically.) Anything like the $1.669 billion being given away in just 52 weeks for foreign aid? No... less than that. I am sorry - this IS ironic.

On the issue of the baby bonus - I don't agree with it. This shows the rates: http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payments/payment-rates.php. I honestly do, however, fail to see what relevance this has to discussion of whether or not the government is responsible for rebuilding of infrastructure after a disaster...

On the issue of private health insurance rebates and money to private schools, since they're also not germane to this topic, shall we leave discussion of them for another thread? Feel free to start one.

Ditto for "reduction in top end company tax rates".

Then you ask "Who the hell would care if the budget is in surplus by 2012/13? Tony Abbott that's who. You'd never hear the end of it." - Are you honestly stating that the government is determined not to do what it's mandated and required to do - in rebuilding infrastructure in the aftermath of a disaster - because it's afraid of how that will be seen by the Opposition? Honestly? Do you realise what that suggests? That Ms Gillard and Labor in general are POLITICALLY motivated to avoid spending the necessary money...?

Hmm. My view is that if there are the funds to help with such disaster recovery, those funds should be used. It's unfair to try to take a political advantage by imposing an additional tax on an already tax-burdened society. I would have more respect for Labor if it paid what needed to be paid, with taxpayers' money, rather than trying to be frugal for the sake of proving some sort of point. If Tony Abbott were to take advantage politically IF Ms Gillard saw to it that the government paid all that was necessary rather than imposed a levy, that would rebound to his discredit. But at present it's Ms Gillard's actions that are rebounding to her discredit - at least in my view. (Clearly not in yours, which is fine...) Be that as it may, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

You're making non-comparative comparisons when you mention the sugar levy and the milk levy. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but was the sugar levy not imposed on the producer and the processor of the accepted sugar cane? It wasn't a levy on the public? Am I correct?

Re the gun levy - please read through http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/bd/1995-96/96bd104.htm. Would you agree that what we see there is an increase of the Medicare levy to increase from 1.5% to 1.7% - an increase of 0.2% in the rate of Medicare levy? That is, not an increase upon taxable income - but a .2% increase in just the Medicare levy. Think about your Medicare levy: add 0.2% to it. Huge increase? No... it's not.

While I still disagree with the gun levy, I can see more justification for it than for a Flood Levy. The reason is that the buy-back of firearms was to prevent any such mass killing as the Port Arthur killings occurring with such ease ever again. This was a procedure to protect us all for the future. Since I strongly disagree with automatic or semi-automatic weapons being readily available to us, I am somewhat sympathetic to the levy. (I still believe the government should have been able to manage without levying the general public.)

And so on.

Our taxes are paid for a purpose. When that purpose is not met... I think we all wonder why on earth we're paying taxes...

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2011, 12:55:25 AM »
That’s 354,644 million dollars. It’s perhaps easier to comprehend in trillions – it’s $35.5 trillion

Hardly enough to cover Kevs travel expenses !

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2011, 01:56:28 AM »

JEEEEESES I'm off on a Pawnage quest online gaming for a few of hours and missed all the action flockit ! ... who was in disguise this time ? ... did they fall on their sword or trip and strangle in their own string ? ... LOLOLOLOL

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2011, 02:06:45 AM »
While I still disagree with the gun levy, I can see more justification for it than for a Flood Levy. The reason is that the buy-back of firearms was to prevent any such mass killing as the Port Arthur killings occurring with such ease ever again. This was a procedure to protect us all for the future. Since I strongly disagree with automatic or semi-automatic weapons being readily available to us, I am somewhat sympathetic to the levy. (I still believe the government should have been able to manage without levying the general public.)

I disagreed with this one too. It was 'played-up' as be a major success.... The levy raised $500 Million. The return was 125,000 firearms NATIONALLY - out of an estimated (actually, Guesstimated is a better term due to no records of ownership prior to 1975)  - 3,000,000 in NSW alone. Thank the good lord for spin doctors!

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2011, 02:13:44 AM »
Flood Levy Fact Sheet

I found this bit of interest.....

Impact on businesses
Businesses will need to apply a new withholding schedule to their employees to withhold levy payments.
Businesses will not be required to pay the levy. The levy will be applied to individual taxpayers.

http://www.treasury.gov.au/documents/1949/PDF/Flood_Levy_Fact_Sheet.pdf

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2011, 05:19:42 PM »
anyone who didnt get a chance to listen to Joolya having a chat with 3AW's Neil Mitchell yesterday morning , its well worth the listen if youve got 15mins to spare ...starts off pleasant enough and then we get the real Joolya when Neil questions her....    

http://www.3aw.com.au/displayPopUpPlayerAction.action?&url=http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/280111_Julia_Gillard.mp3

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2011, 11:03:45 PM »
Gillard Governent increases cigarette, beer and spirit taxes

The tax will hit smokers and drinkers from Tuesday and collect millions of dollars for the Budget, but it has not yet been announced by any government minister.

OY! Julia.... you forgot about wine!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/cigs-beer-and-spirit-taxes-surge/story-e6frf7l6-1225996409405

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »
So If I have a stay at home wife and 2 children and my taxable income is  $90,000 for the 2011-2012 year I will pay $200 flood levy
thats the first 50 grand free of levy and the remaining $40,000 @ .5% = $200

My next door neighbours also have 2 children same ages as mine but both adults there work and their taxable incomes for that period are  $50,000 each  , so that family have a $10,000 a year higher income than me and yet they pay no flood levy
as each person has a $50,000 levy free threshhold ???

Have I read that right ?

Likewise if my taxable income was $120,000 for the year I would pay a levy of $450 thats 0 on the first 50 grand $250 on the next 50 grand and $200 on the last 20 grand = $450

if the neighbours were on $80,000 taxable income each they would have earnt a total of $40,000 more than my family and yet their levy would still only be $300 ..$150 less than my family as again they get the first 50 grand each levy free and pay .5 % on the remaining 30 grand each so pay $150 each

does this seem fair Joooooooooooooolya ?

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2011, 07:34:47 PM »
Smee...your logic is a little flawed.

You mention people with children....so shouldn't the fact that they have children have some bearing on how much they 'donate'?

Do you have any idea how much teenagers eat these days?...lol

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »
its got nothing to do with donating Roo its about the tax or levy its about what is taken by the govt , both my examples above both families had 2 children the children were only included in the story to show it the same sized families involved ,  but the one family earning less was charged more levy

so where is my logic flawed ... please explain

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »
Well...I guess I am thinking that not every family has 2 children...some have none!

I guess the Government is just trying to be fair to all by using averages and probabilities.

To be honest...their use of earnings to determine how much you pay is what is actually flawed.  They really should take into account the number of children people have into the equation.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2011, 08:11:06 PM »
yes thats what I was saying the formula to calculate the levy isnt a fair formula

but even if neither couple in my examples above had any children the family earning more would pay less ...

but you are right in that it would be worse  if the single income family had a few kids , but the dual income family had no kids but still earnt more and paid less , and thats how it would work according to the schedule and only adds weight to my question ....does this seem fair Joooooooooooooolya ?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook

Elantra

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2011, 11:53:04 AM »
Deleted

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »
If the government cannot afford to rebuild the infrastructure (and to build the preventative measures promised directly after the 1974 floods), I have no doubt the vast majority of Australians would agree with the levy - although there is no doubt some families honestly cannot afford it because they are in such a tight situation with repaying mortgages and other loans, bringing up children without government benefits, struggling to cope with rising costs, etc.

But if the government states it cannot afford to rebuild the infrastructure but it CAN afford other controversial and overwhelmingly expensive projects that don't have any urgency, that's a different thing...

It's a difficult situation. I suppose we all must feel at least some cynicism about the government responding speedily and effectively to what needs to be done. After all, it's been more than 35 years since the 1974 floods and the measures promised then STILL haven't eventuated.

I don't think the government - whichever government it is - can get away with such dilatory response this time.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2011, 01:51:51 PM »
I hope the govt doesn't create a Pluto Pup tax or, heaven forbid, a Pepsi Max tax.

I'll neck myself but, not until after wreaking havoc with the beloved Barrett 50 cal..

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2011, 02:32:42 PM »
...They'll probably tax the rounds for your beloved Barrett 50 cal so much that you'll have to wreak havoc with the butt!

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2011, 04:13:07 PM »
I just love the way you can give everyone a giggle in such a serious topic Max.

Goodonya!