Author Topic: Ebays dodgy site Grrrr  (Read 18214 times)

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
Ebays dodgy site Grrrr
« on: November 08, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »
Grrrr I have been after an item I have been chacing for a few days now, knowing I wouldnt be around when the next one came up I set up a snipe.

Guess what that item sold for half the price of my snipe limmit, so I go and check what happened to me snipe and I see this GRRRRRRR

You Lost - eBay page not responding

Great I wonder how many sellers miss out on sales and better prices because Ebay cant run its site

BTW Did I say I was mad

wyzeguy60

Re: Ebays dodgy site Grrrr
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »
oh Hawk, how I agree. and it is not just snipes. It is manual bids also.
I suspect due to this new format with live screens and countdown timers etc.

best to have 2 snipe accounts and set both.

>:(

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 01:30:44 PM »
I thought I told you guys how to subscribe to honest Smee's sniping service .... we never miss !

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 01:33:09 PM »
It is manual bids also.

I have missed bidding on 2 previous occasions also because pages failed and I just blamed my ISP.

So this is more wide spread?

and Ebay wonder why sales are dropping and sellers wonder why they dont get sales or good prices any more.

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 01:36:56 PM »
honest Smee's sniping service

And would you like my bank account and credit card details so you can take the effort of me having to pay for the won items?

And perhaps I can get the items delivered straight to you for unwrapping and testing?

I am sure you wouldnt charge much for such a service.

:pigsfly:

wyzeguy60

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »
hi Hawk, I sold a coin a while back for a small $$$$ amount. At the death it had had 12 bids and was sitting on $60.00. It had 26 watchers and I had had some external interest in the coin. It was valued at conservatively $265.00.
Well it sold for $60.00 with no further bids. I was subsequently contacted by 2 bidders known to me telling me their snipes had failed.
The reason they were given was that the ebay real time wasn't synchronised with the ebay live time meaning biddding had ceased when snipes were submitted.
The 2 that contacted me submitted through sniping services bids of $187.65 and the other $202.55.
The coin should have sold for at least $187 plus on this basis.
Of course ALL sniper bids would have failed.
an interesting thought !!!
 >:(

PPS - how do i subscribe oh smee of smees

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 01:45:40 PM »
WellI can see why you are unhappy as its cost you a sizable amount of money.

While mine is just frustration, I am not desperate for the item and will just keep going until I get the item at the price I want to pay, which is at the lower third of what it normally sells for.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »
This is more than annoying. It's destroying the pattern of bidding which many bidders have grown accustomed to using. I will NOT place my real highest bid during the course of the auction; I always leave it until the last moment (sniping service). I may (and often do) place tentative "I'm interested" bids while the item's still got a lot of time to run, just to let the seller know someone is interested and also to remind myself that I'm not just watching for the fun of it, but am seriously interested. But I have noticed more and more frequently of late that doing this is resulting in the items on which I've bid receiving a flurry of early bids, many of which go over the maximum I'm prepared to spend.

I don't know whether that's due to Christmas coming up, more sellers becoming worried that their last-minute bids won't go through, or the old enemy "shill bidding", but it has prevented me from getting some very nice Georgian silver items during the last two weeks, and I'm cross about it.  :nhj: :drama:

Hawk, which snipe service did you use?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
This is more than annoying. ..... . But I have noticed more and more frequently of late that doing this is resulting in the items on which I've bid receiving a flurry of early bids, many of which go over the maximum I'm prepared to spend.....

I too notice as both a buyer and seller in the $200 - $2000 bracket in a few categories that less snipes occur in last 6 months and less again in last two months. There has always been ISP / eBay problems with missing snipes. I can snipe in last 5 seconds but never snipe later that 30 secs out as too many problems over the years. I now feel about 80% of expensive for eBay purchasers now bid in last few hours. Often now I bid a few hours before end as that is a convient time for me.

Also eBay has successfully campanged against snip services as your eBay password is more open to theft. I used a snipe service who I later found though personal experience, were a very dishonest company.

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 03:53:05 PM »
Hawk, which snipe service did you use?

Hi countess I used goofbay, The only times I have missed out before was when the price was already above my bid, never when item sold for half my bid price.

I may have still missed out on the item because I have no idea what the winners proxy bid was, but the seller certanly missed out.

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 03:54:35 PM »
If this is Ebays way of preventing snipe services or making people bid early its doomed to failure and could explain the lack of bidder

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »
I agree, Hawk, that if it were an eBay ploy, it is quite likely going to fail.

It amuses me no end when people argue about this change and that change to the bidding process when they are relying on the buyers to exercise the same level of activity under some new regime.

I didn't think it too obvious to point out that, if you change the rules, you will change the way people play the game - which could produce a negative net effect.

As an example - automatic extensions to end time for an auction.  Are snipers going to continue to bid as they have in the past?  Not likely - and if they did, it wouldn't be for long.  The advantage of sniping disappears - so the liklihood of a sniper putting in their real maximum will fade.  Lower bids... fewer bids... does it take an Einstein to work out what will happen to selling prices?

I don't think eBay are that stupid (but I will not argue against anyone who feels they are).  Even if they had an ulterior motive, I do not expect the impact of the problem described significant enough to generate a useful result.

I do think eBay haven't been too focussed on maintaining standards (ie are being slack)

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »
And don't forget the fact that Ebay are streaming people into buying BIN items....which they will end up doing if they continually have trouble with sniping.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 05:25:34 PM »
I'm considering alternatives... I LIKE online bidding; it used to have such an element of excitement, and the possibility of grabbing something rare and beautiful for a lot less than one might expect. (Or just grabbing something rare and beautiful - no bargain, but fantastic item nonetheless!).

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 09:52:55 PM »
This is exactly the reason I now sell using best offer , a happy medium between the traditional auction and BIN on ebay ... its proving to be a winner for me and my customers 

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 10:07:19 PM »
eDoom!
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 11:31:59 PM »
BIN just doesnt do it for me, many sellers offering BIN are so close to shop prices its not worth taking a risk of delivery and faulty goods when all is considered.

Items need to be well below retail prices or its simply not worth the risks.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 11:35:05 PM »
BIN just doesnt do it for me, many sellers offering BIN are so close to shop prices its not worth taking a risk of delivery and faulty goods when all is considered.

I'm with you on that Hawk.. I'm feeling this way more and more.. you gotta feel for the seller's tho, they must be doing it tough, families to feed and bill's to pay...

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 11:35:23 PM »
agreed Hawkey .... why would anybody bother .... a few exceptions may be people who live in the sticks or have no time to go shopping at B&M's or similar ..... apart from that you would have to be crazy

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 11:40:05 PM »
I agree to hawk, I find most of the coins at BIN prices, I can get from the post office or mints at the same price.

I am glad you posted this thread - I have been having a few problems too - I just thought I was doing something wrong

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 12:26:35 AM »

I'd have to agree too, Hawk, but with one exception - where availability was an issue.

I recently checked out some blank media, CD-R to be precise.  For the best price I could find on the disks, with postage, I could buy the equivalent or better at Dick Smith prices.  From decision to burning in under an hour and with a known returns policy - vs - delays, risks and cost.

It would be a bit different if you were after a book that had sold out in most places - or were looking for some balls of wool to match ones someone was already knitting with. (Yes, I did that using the old shanks' pony. Luckily I didn't need to know anything more than brand, colour and batch number/dye lot - a name and a couple of numbers.  Ask me to knit one, pearl two for $1 a stitch and I wouldn't earn enough to buy a soft serve cone.)

Those situations are where a bit of a premium is not unreasonable.

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 12:38:03 AM »
Would it be worthwhile getting everyone that encounters these problems to approach the ACCC?

It seems that Ebay may be being norty....*insert evil grin

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 09:23:06 AM »
Would it be worthwhile getting everyone that encounters these problems to approach the ACCC?

It seems that Ebay may be being norty....*insert evil grin

Roo thats one option, my preferd method is to take my money else where.

I had an issue at a Hardly normal store last week over a new freezer, I ened up walking out of the store, drove 10 km further and paid $20 more for an item. There was no way I was giving them my money

Heading off to oztion now to see what they have

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 06:03:22 PM »
Hawk, I use gixen to snipe and have won all but one of my snipes over the past year (the item sold for a lot more than I was prepared to pay for it). They have a free service or a paid service which lodges bids from two locations so you're pretty well covered. I use the paid service, I think it was $6 a year.

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 11:14:19 AM »
I ened up getting what I wanted last night at about half of what I was prepared to pay. Different brand and seller.

I also saw the orignal seller had the item go for opening bid of 99cents, this the the same item I was bidding $12 on day after day and losing.

I would say the snipes werent working again and the seller lost out again with item selling for opening bid.

caadlad52

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 07:00:10 AM »
Another great FREE sniper is GOOFBAY

http://www.goofbay.com

In my experience, it has been 100% reliable (even if not 100% successful  :'( )

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 08:24:45 AM »
Another great FREE sniper is GOOFBAY

http://www.goofbay.com

In my experience, it has been 100% reliable (even if not 100% successful  :'( )

Goofbay is what I was using, it was Ebay that failed to work

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »
Here's dodgy:

As most of you know, I've been unjustifyably banned from POSTING on the eBay Boards.

Now, I cannot access them for viewing only.

I tried everything:  

> Bookmarked links

> Google direct

> eBay site map

> Links from saved emails

Anything I try, I keep getting the "Sign in to account" page.
Well, if I do, I get the "ERROR: YOU CAN'T COME IN" message.
Bogus!

I cannot get in!!!

Why?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 03:31:12 PM »
you're not trying hard enough !

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 03:33:16 PM »
And yer NO help.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 03:34:55 PM »
you've got to have a system to beat the system !!!!

clue:- there are more ways to flock a cat than lock it in the boot !!!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »
Never had this trouble before.

I think eBay slipped a cookie in my box when I was in My eBay, PAYING FOR STUFF....

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 03:39:05 PM »

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 03:41:40 PM »
Stand down, smee.

This looks like an issue for "The Professionals".

And that's NOT you!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 03:47:47 PM »

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
The lock is in cookies, You need to clear itall or just download a new browser like chrome or flock

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 04:44:24 PM »
Hawk: CYE!

Question to ALL: Why would eBay deliberatly sabbotage my ability to merely READ their flocking Boards?

What is their motive?

Is it illegal?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 04:50:23 PM »
You're saying you cannot even view the parts of eBay that are open to the public?

There are a couple of possibilities:

1. You're on the eBay no-can-see list and that's that;
2. Your cache needs to be flushed;
3. It's a client resolution problem (not very likely from what you describe).

Solutions:

1. Write to eBay moderators swearing eternal fidelity and love;
2. Flush your cache and delete your cookies. If you're using Firefox (and if you're not, why not?), it's Tools >> Clear Recent History >> (Click onto Details to see the list, and make sure CACHE and COOKIES are selected). Then close your browser window, turn off computer, start computer, and see whether the problem is fixed.
3. Click START, then click on RUN, and then type in command. In the Command window, type in ipconfig /flushdns and then hit enter. You may need to restart your computer afterwards.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 04:59:01 PM »
Thx for checking in  with me, Darlin'.

You're saying you cannot even view the parts of eBay that are open to the public? YES!

First snag here: I click tools (i have firefox), but the "clear recent history is disabled..light grey.
I should have my tekkie work on this, yes?"

Question again: Is it a cyber-crime for ebay to be messin' with me like this?

I mean: I spent over ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS on ebay, and this is the thanks I get?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2009, 05:15:43 PM »
Well, before you rush off to get your six-shooters to point at eBay, let's eliminate other possibilities first.

If your "Clear Recent History" is disabled, you probably have set your browser to private browsing. Go to Tools >> Options >> Privacy - what do you see? Does it say "Firefox will remember history"?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2009, 05:40:45 PM »
It sez: "Firefox will never remember history"

Now what?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 05:46:58 PM »
Change it to "remember history". You should now be able to click onto "clear your recent history" and make certain your cache is selected. (You should select cookies.) Go ahead and clear them.

Turn off your computer. Turn it on again after 30 seconds. See if that has fixed the problem.

If you also have IE on your computer, try accessing the public eBay areas with that as well.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2009, 06:11:31 PM »
That worked--THX!

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2009, 07:48:55 PM »
 :yess: :applause:

Can you see the threads now Tello?
:duckling:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »
Yep!

Anything I want. Still BANNED FOR LIFE from posting.

Boneheads!

I dint do anything wrong.

Flocking BUTTON PUSHERS + NO eBay support made it so.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Oy.... Tello..... Sandy P sends her loooovvveee ;D

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2009, 08:24:49 PM »
Ronnie T accepts it!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2009, 08:43:11 PM »
Interesting read from Seller Central:

What are the odds?
Oct 31, 2009 12:36 AM

For anyone who thinks that eBay does not cycle our visibility by areas of this country, please offer me a logical explanation for this.

Under my selling ID, I was getting few or no sales for weeks. Suddenly, I got 18 buyers and every one of them lives in California. A week later, every sale came from Pennsylvania, 9 in all.

What are the odds that out of 50 states, all sales came from one state only at a specific time?

(2 of 114)
Re: What are the odds?
Oct 31, 2009 2:36 AM

ebay acknowledged this ability to sort and show select sellers in specific regions/states.
;) Yet, they say that IT doesn't/couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't happen.

I present the gmfiasco as 1 example. This group of listings were advertised and said to be shown primarily to CA. residents.

(6 of 114)
Oct 31, 2009 6:37 AM

I agree. I live in NJ and the majority of my sales were to the west coast and Texas until recently. Lately the concentration has shifted to NJ, NY and east coast zones. Also coincidental is that all of what I've been listing in the last few months is in the below 1 lb. fixed cost postage category - seems like anything heavy always goes across country at a hefty shipping charge.

Almost makes you wonder if they aren't looking at shipping cost to decide where to provide exposure (more money for paypal?) yeh, I know...I'm really paranoid...

I don't for one minute believe that my listings get round-the-clock, uniform, coast-to-coast exposure, and also just guessing it's in connection with some resource/load distribution strategy they would never acknowledge with a gun to their heads.

Oct 31, 2009 8:56 AM

After I posted this thread, I fell asleep without meaning to. So I am happy to see that there has been some response. I find post #6, that of Low*Profile's to be interesting with regard to the weight of the items and shipping cost.

My own items are primarily coins and cards, thus low shipping weight and postage. Except for a few buys from regulars during the past two months, my sales have been essentially dead.

Suddenly, I am receiving all these orders from California. Every single one is a new customer. I haven't done auction or fixed price listings in awhile, so all of them from this one state managed to find my store for their buys.

This morning, I wake up to find four new orders. Yep, all from California. There is no way that this is simply a coincidence. I am beginning to suspect that eBay's tough new standards for seller visibility in searches is a cover up for their inability to handle 24/7 exposure for all.

Let's face it, if they were faced with a legal challenge as to why they took money from sellers who did not get any visibility, what better excuse can they have than (1) sellers did not qualify for high exposure/any exposure based on their DSR's (2) sellers agreed to this as part of their TOS.

This could also explain those claims by some sellers that their stars on their DSR's are being manipulated. Someone posted recently that they have noticed a pattern of their DSR stars dropping for just one day during long periods of no sales or feedback, only to have those stars go back up the next day.

I know one thing for sure, there is absolutely no way that my own exposure in or out of certain states is not being manipulated.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Seller-Central/What-Are-The/510149280

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2009, 10:40:29 PM »
This is just a theory - and one I'd suggest be investigated to DISPROVE.

But....

A regional increase in interest in a particular sellers goods could possibly be the result of an increased awareness and/or interest in those products as the result of stimulation by a regional factor...

This could encompass things such as a TV ad campaign by someone else, product placement in a movie or TV series or an interview of a celebrity who declared an interest.  It could also include a live show, conference, exhibition or celebration that piqued interest in some way.

Then there's the print media - newspapers for example.

There might be more categories to consider - but I trust you get my drift.