Author Topic: WANTED  (Read 119670 times)

gr8-expectations

Re: WANTED
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »
wheels well done, i think you might have found it, and folio society are most likely to have that type of cover treatment, it does not have the yellow cover, but they may have bought it out in different cover colour versions

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2010, 04:28:01 PM »
Yes, All Regions will play on Australian DVD players. (Sorry, I'm not Smee!)

Many of my DVDs are Region 2, and some are Region 1, by the way. I made sure I bought a multi-region DVD player at the time.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
Hi Everyone. Thank you all for the links.

I am killing dinner at the moment and will come back later and check out links and so on. Many thanks.. ;D
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2010, 09:25:50 PM »
Joy!!! Double Joy!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :) :) :)

And some blushing :blush:

My old copy...much in need of a clean...was presented to me just now by my husband.....He heard me say I was asking about it on our forum and he disappeared.

The book was in a box of books in the garage (!) and has been there for a very long time.  Apparently my Alice became included in a box of books he was supposed to have disposed of and "forgot". When he heard me say I could not understand how the book had disappeared he recalled the box in the garage....I can't get him to come clean about why this book was in that box .I am searching for thumb screws now :evillaugh:

Thank you all for the very kind searching and assistance.

My edition was first printed in August 1946 and second printing was in September 1946 and published by The World Publishing Company, Cleveland, Ohio...so I was incorrect in thinking the publisher was more likely to be British.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »
Centuries, Wow, I've just had a look on Amazon for your book. There are editions dating back to 1865! But most of them don't have pics of the cover.

They are advertised on Amazon Marketplace so will only deliver to a US address. If you are able to find the one you're looking for let me know and I can buy it for you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_binding_browse-b_0?rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Cn%3A!1000%2Ck%3Aalice+wonderland+carroll+Tenniel%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A394181011&bbn=1000&keywords=alice+wonderland+carroll+Tenniel&ie=UTF8&qid=1271825081&rnid=394174011

Thank you wheels. That was so kind to offer that . As you see...my copy was miraculously "found" ;D ;D ;D

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2010, 09:33:21 PM »
That's good news Centuries!

A lot of the older books on Amazon were from 1946, but there were also some going back to the late 1800s. Classics live on forever.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2010, 09:41:16 PM »

well done cent, now you know exactly what it is there are 6-7 copies of it on abe alone (if you lose it again) and most expensive is $20 us, go easy on hubby he's a) male and genetically flawed therefore and B) he found it, obviously priceless though for centimental value excellent news!

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2010, 09:52:35 PM »
wheels well done, i think you might have found it, and folio society are most likely to have that type of cover treatment, it does not have the yellow cover, but they may have bought it out in different cover colour versions

well done cent, now you know exactly what it is there are 6-7 copies of it on abe alone (if you lose it again) and most expensive is $20 us, go easy on hubby he's a) male and genetically flawed therefore and B) he found it, obviously priceless though for centimental value excellent news!

Yes grr8 it is simply the sentimental value. At least I know the publisher and when it was printed!

And my thanks to your good self for that offer to send me an Alice.

Big sloppy kisses to grr, wheels and countessa (and smee ...I cannot leave out smee :rofl:)

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

gr8-expectations

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »

yunno cent it was amazing, i actually did know WHERE my copy of Alice was lol, thats rare even for sold books in my house

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2010, 11:18:52 PM »
that is where I was born

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2010, 11:25:22 PM »
What are you going to do Countess, borrow it and run?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2010, 12:05:23 AM »
Black cat suit.

Rope and hook.

Mask.

Getaway car.

These are some interesting words that have no connection, no connection at all.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2010, 12:13:09 AM »

i am thinkin katherine zeta jones in a certain movie ....

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2010, 01:23:58 AM »
countess, you found a copy----in a library  :(

Would checking the Wiltshire Clubs and Organisation Directory  (see over in right hand side when you open your link) help? They may have a group who could assist you.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
I would quite honestly do almost anything to get my hands on that recording. I'll beg. I'll tell them I've been kidnapped by mauve aliens who drink brain fluid and are threatening the lives of the entire universe if the library doesn't hand over that CD. I'll... I'll...

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2010, 01:15:06 PM »
Having a bit of a look myself....

While I do get some hits... I have only found it in another library and on a website for 2100 Yen - except it is marked 'out of print'

Did find this piccy, though...

[attachment deleted by admin]

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »
I've long since tried... but no, it's not held in any Australian library.

There are copies in two Dutch libraries, but I'm not likely to get much joy out of asking any of my Dutch relatives to follow it up. The ones I know are of the elderly non-technical type.

Stadsbibliotheek Haarlem En Omstreken
Haarlem, 2011 XP Netherlands

Zeeuwse Bibliotheek Middelburg
Middelburg, 4331 JE Netherlands

I have been trying to find this recording for almost 2 years.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »
try the auckland library, special collections etc, i have found books not in Australia that are there, those new zealanders are amazing people ... lol

this info has a price tag of one acme splut tool

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2010, 02:11:19 PM »

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2010, 02:51:23 PM »
No... wrong one...   :hanky:

The one I want has the French baritone François le Roux, and the pianist Nöel Lee. It was released by REM.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2010, 03:12:15 PM »
By my reckoning ... this is the building in which it is housed....

(start planning the offensive...!)

It's in 'Sheep Street' ..... maybe GR8 could be of assistance.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2010, 04:09:49 PM »

hang on brumbs ... i'll just slup into something a luttle more comfortable

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
like a sheep ?

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2010, 11:16:45 PM »
Countess. What does brain fluid taste like? Does it have bubbles?

gr8-expectations

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2010, 08:06:21 AM »
Countess, I spent an hour or so searching for your CD last night, nothing, well some things, a library in China has it lol as well as that other one.

The ebay search engine is hopeless, I entered JUST "massenet, Jules" at one point to see what would happen ... wouldn't you think that would bring up all the Massenet CD's worldwide? Think again, the Massenets are scattered over like 20 pages and everything else under the sun comes up from "preferred" or whatever sellers ... this sucks, people PAY ebay to list their items we are being conned, worse than Melbourne Storm worse than any fraud, this is massive, if people cannot find your item on a site its a straight out fraud to take their money and put it on a site, and its massive ... did I mention I HATE ebay bunch of crooks, criminals

Anyway I did country specific searches on Auction Sieve as well for the title, plenty of others and one for same performers or artists doing another composer's work which may be of interest to you i.e. Le Roux and the other one on same label but not the Melodies, it IS hard to find alright but thats no excuse for ebay the BS artists.

Their listing rates for the average person should be all FREE based on what they actually sell you, ALL Massenet's CDS should have showed up in a massive list FIRST not totally unrelated TAT from all over and have to search through so many pages to find Massenet's when the search is Massenet, Jules ... sucks

If you want the library in China details i can provide they have it, how is your Cantonese? lol

RANT over

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2010, 03:04:55 AM »
Is this progress....?

I found a bigger picture -

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2010, 05:09:15 AM »
it always pays to look at the bigger picture

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »
... but the music? The music? I must have the music!

Yes, recordings of French mélodies quite often use saucy images - something about the period just before the fin de siècle suggesting elegant debauchery, I suppose.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2010, 02:56:36 PM »
Oh, and Gr8, my Cantonese is nil. I don't speak it.

I do speak Mandarin... (but am still a beginner). I can't READ Chinese, though. The written form is pictographic and has absolutely nothing to do with the pronunciation! (They do love being difficult, don't they...?)

gr8-expectations

« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2010, 03:11:35 PM »
its a really hard one to find Countess, for sure, usually Auctionsieve finds things ebay search does not, and nothing there, I have a friend in the UK who may be able to request a copy if you wish, it is in that chinese library too for sure.

I would suggest you download auctionsieve, its safe and do regular searches for it too

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2010, 05:08:19 PM »
Walked past a second-hand music store this afternoon and stuck my head in to have a look ... just in case.

When I asked to see what they had in classical music, I was shown to a small rack that could hold, perhaps, 30 jewel cases.  In there I saw one Debussy and two Andrew Lloyd Webber - the rest was anything but classical.  Not a Brahms, Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi, Chopin .... or anything!  Most disappointing.

Needless to say .. no luck (yet).

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2010, 08:09:48 PM »

Walked past a second-hand music store this afternoon and stuck my head in to have a look ... just in case
well,
Nanna Centuries popped into an antiques shop for a browse t0day and someone tried to buy her !!!

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2010, 08:55:34 PM »
They do love being difficult, don't they...?

Hahaha. This is interesting thought. Now China is using Simplified Chinese so it is a little easier. Taiwan is still using Traditional Chinese.

Sorry off topic.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2010, 02:19:48 AM »
For Japanese, Chinese and Korean pictographs, I'll give myself a better then even chance of identifying which is which - but don't ask me to interpret... or it's going to sound like a game of Mahjong.

Poddy

« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2010, 02:37:34 AM »
All ther characters look the same to me heheheh ;D

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2010, 02:48:37 AM »

Walked past a second-hand music store this afternoon and stuck my head in to have a look ... just in case
well,
Nanna Centuries popped into an antiques shop for a browse t0day and someone tried to buy her !!!

Tried to buy me?? What a pity! I did not have my hearing aid turned up and I thought that rather odd fellow was pointing to the vase which I had dropped. It was ugly and old, so there was really no need to make so much fuss. And he burst into tears and shouted at me!  Disgraceful behaviour!

:angel:

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2010, 10:16:45 AM »
Oh, and Gr8, my Cantonese is nil. I don't speak it.

I do speak Mandarin... (but am still a beginner). I can't READ Chinese, though. The written form is pictographic and has absolutely nothing to do with the pronunciation! (They do love being difficult, don't they...?)

Hi tessa,  if you are trying learn Chinese, you could ask Lim or Low for some help.  just a thought.
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

lady rose

• Rosieloins/Katyettes
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2010, 07:51:45 PM »
Just reading through and laughing.
I would like books by or about John Howlett Ross.
Found one a while ago in England and tried to buy it, they said they had lost it.
Mind you have not looked for them on the net for a while, will look

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2010, 07:47:22 PM »
Bed socks - but not just any bedsocks

I'm looking for THESE TYPES of bedsocks - the soft, fluffy, fold-down thick collar type bed socks

Can anyone out there in sellers land help me?

(sorry couldn;t copy the picture, but here are the links)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/204550600/Bed_Sock_YM0006_KTT056.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/272312582/fashion_winter_socks_WS002/showimage.html

Thanks!

I'm happy to buy 12prs
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2010, 09:07:02 PM »
Wokie. I just had a look at that Alibaba.com site. It looks a bit like an imitation ebay.

I looked at the camera gear & some of the prices are very good. Have you dealt with any of the sellers on that site?

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2010, 09:14:25 PM »
Ubbie - they are MINIMUM quantites - like 10,000 pairs  :whiteflag: - that would last me a life time and beyond!

No - I only want a dozen pairs!

So that is WHY - Alibaba are a world-wide wholesaler of ANYTHING from anywhere ;)

Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2010, 10:57:15 PM »
Wokkie,

What about these?
http://www.mysocksrock.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_62

or these
Duckling Feather Bed Socks!
http://www.mysocksrock.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_59

Have you ever looked in Spare Change in T/town? They had a whole table of bed socks there the other day but I don't know how fluffy or how long they were.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »
I found some Wokkie, but they're in the UK

http://www.suzannecharles.co.uk/acatalog/BSF2.html

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2010, 11:10:56 PM »

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2010, 11:12:38 PM »
That was the first site I landed after the dreaded ebay - and no they rally only have 'tube' socks - they are the material that I want - but not with the thick fold-down top :(

I checked numerous 'spare change' type shops and none of them have this type of sock - only the tube type in the material that I want. I bought them - tried them and HATE them.

And the only pair I have on the ones I like are starting to wear pretty thin :(

Fingers crossed

Thanks for the suggestion though *wheels*

OH OH - *wheels* I love you :D

Thank-you - they look like the ones I am seeking - thank-you - book-marked - will investigate, looks promising!

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2010, 11:20:22 PM »

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »
Wokkie,

What about these?
http://www.mysocksrock.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_62

or these
Duckling Feather Bed Socks!
http://www.mysocksrock.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_59

Have you ever looked in Spare Change in T/town? They had a whole table of bed socks there the other day but I don't know how fluffy or how long they were.

I resemble that remark!!!  :lol:
:duckling:

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2010, 11:30:27 PM »
well fluffee - if you're that fluffy - come and warm my feet up!