Author Topic: BIGPOND PHISHING SCAM MAKING THE ROUNDS  (Read 10261 times)

cueperkins

BIGPOND PHISHING SCAM MAKING THE ROUNDS
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:53:50 AM »
I've received four of these in the past few days, and I DON'T have a bigpond account...wouldn't deal with Telltale if they were the last telco on earth......

Anyway, if you are a bigpond customer, be careful of this latest phishing scam...

Dear Customer,

This e-mail has been sent to you by BigPond to inform you that we were unable to process your most recent payment of bill. This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information. (eg: billing address, phone)
2. Submitting incorrect information during bill payment process.

Due to this, to ensure that your service is not interrupted, we request you to confirm and update your billing information today
by clicking here.

If you have already confirmed your billing information then please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Regards,
BigPond Billing Department

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: BIGPOND PHISHING SCAM MAKING THE ROUNDS
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 10:20:09 AM »
There are several signals in this email that should alert people to the fact that it's a scam. I won't outline them here, because phishing emailers do read posts on this sort of thing, to find out how to improve their scams and phishing so as to increase the chance of eluding detection and tricking more people.

I'll post something in the Fountain so that only forum members will be able to read it.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: BIGPOND PHISHING SCAM MAKING THE ROUNDS
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:39:20 AM »
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"