Author Topic: Dodgy, risky, insufficient information: what things WON'T you buy online?  (Read 10451 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
I would not buy a car online. If I happened to see a car listed online (unlikely, because I don't look... but let's say I did) and it was local to me, I might decide to visit the dealership and see it for myself, and test-drive it, etc., but surely I'd have visited the dealership ANYWAY if it were close enough to me and I were looking for a car?

I would not buy electrical goods from an online seller. (I exclude b&m shops that have websites; I mean I wouldn't buy a computer, a sound system, an iPod, a phone, etc. from someone who only has an online shop, or is a Chinese seller on eBay or Oztion etc., or is an Australian seller on eBay or Oztion selling on goods obtained direct from ... yes, you guessed it, China. The risk of fakes is, in my opinion, too high, and the sellers often don't offer anything LIKE the after-sales service of a b&m shop.)

I don't buy clothes online. I like to try them on. I need to see if they'll look fantastic ON ME, and I need to look at the stitching and workmanship closely.

I don't buy shoes online. I need to walk in them to be sure they'll look great and feel comfortable.

Some sorts of jewellery I wouldn't buy online - if it's important that I check the colour and clarity of the stone, or see whether it suits my skin.

What about you? What won't you buy online...?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
what things WON'T you buy online?

There's not much I haven't bought online!!  :spend:
I don't buy clothes or shoes for myself but my kids buy a lot of clothes and shoes online. They usually buy the same couple of brands so they know the sizings will be correct.

I have bought: phones, computers, gps, computer parts, electrical goods, bike parts, cycling gear, furniture, books, gifts, tickets, ..

I do tend to stick to the same online stores and now always pay with creditcard and/or PayPal. I have never had a major problem with quality or goods not arriving (except with our experience with LI on eBay when my son paid by bank transfer).

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
I have bought clothes for myself and the grandkids ( LOTS for the grandkids!) shoes ( with some great and one not so great results), books, jewelry, handbags, kitchen items (some great bargains here!) pet supplies, camera accessories... oh, heaps of stuff! I have really only had 2 bad experiences- one when I was new to ebay, and bought on impulse, to regret it when the items turned up- the photo had been vey poor, in hindsight I think intentionally!

I am still buying, not only from ebay but also online stores- love the convenience of it!

I would probably be very careful of phones, i pods and the like,  though my children have got some great bargains there.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
Archery gear, Fishing gear, some sporting clothing but only from reputable sellers I have dealt with before.
Amendment! these are the things I will buy online. So, everything else in the world I won't buy online, if that makes any sense.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
I want to add a few things...

I won't buy a man's wife's ashes online.

(All right, I won't buy it anyway...)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

currymuncher

I only buy a few books now and again on Ebay,anything else I buy from retail stores .

Katbalou

No gos....Anything electric operated like video players mp3 players, phones,computer stuff or memory stick thingys.
new release movies usually pirate copies,
watches or any sort of jewellery= usually rip offs or crappy even when the seller thinks they are a expert,

anything that isnt in stock and shipped from Australia

nothing worth more than you are willing to lose if the seller does a runner :vent: :mobbing: