Author Topic: Fraudulent eBay emails  (Read 22059 times)

vacuumdog

Fraudulent eBay emails
« on: August 18, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
First of all, Hi to everyone. I found this place through Google and thought it less 'slap happy' to post here instead of the other RT.
I posted rarely on the other one, but visited regularly to keep abreast of happenings. That was before it seemed to get extra heavily censored. Anyway............

As of late I have been receiving up to five fake eBay emails a day. The worrying thing about this is that the email account being used is strictly for eBay/Paypal. The only way the details could have been obtained are vie these services.
Is there a security leak there somewhere?

I was just wondering if you received the payment, also can you provide a tracking number for my package? Waiting for your answer asap.
Thank you and have a nice day.
 Did this answer your question? If not, let the seller know.

View Item:
  http;//cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ViewItem&item=130312669787

Item Id: 130312669787
End time: August-09-09 08:34:28 PDT
Buyer:
 djc_electricals_ltd( 381)
Member: since 26-May-06

Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was active.

The above is just one of the examples. They vary from items not received to paypal dispute resolution emails.

eBay response is that I must have used the email address elsewhere. Well I haven't. It is exclusively for eBay/PayPal.

They have really increased over the last week. Anyone else suffering the same thing?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: Fraudulent eBay emails
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 10:20:53 AM »
I got a PP rash.

See the PP thread tacked at the top of this board......
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:24:42 AM »
Good morning vacuumdog and Welcome to the OzRT!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Ditto!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:31:58 AM »
Hi, Vacuumdog.

If you've ever received a PayPal payment from someone else to that email address, then your email address is known. How many people may have inadvertently added that address to their address book? And it only takes one of those people to have any sort of vulnerability with that address book (by passing on a chain letter email, for instance) for that list of email addresses to be harvested.

That's why it's probably best to make sure you use an email address which is @hotmail or @gmail - something you can ditch if it is added to any sort of spammer's list. (Always make sure you keep that old email address for a while, though, in case there is a PayPal problem requiring your validation from an email sent to the old email address.) Both gmail and hotmail filter a very high percentage of spam emails, too, which means you don't have to bother mentally filtering them yourself.

Of course, there's at least a possibility your information is not secure with PayPal or eBay, but before thinking that that's what's happening, there are definitely some other scenarios to check first.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
I haven't had any fake ebay emails, but I have had a couple of paypal ones. There will always be someone trying to make money out of phishing emails associated with online trading sites.

As well as ensuring your own email address and PC is secure, the basic steps you can take to protect yourself are:
- Always check your eBay inbox if you are unsure of any emails
- Forward all fake emails to spoof@ebay.com.au or spoof@paypal.com.au
- When signing in to eBay always start by typing in ebay.com.au and not via any links
- When signing in, check the address starts with https://signin.ebay

vacuumdog

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »
The worrying part is the account, djc_electricals_ltd, is an active one. None of the links in the email are genuine eBay links apart from the sellers. It has been the same sellers account for weeks. I have never dealt with them either.
I thought I'd ask here before changing email addresses as the account is a merchant account.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 10:43:52 AM »
.....for that list of email addresses to be harvested.

That smells phishy!

vacuumdog

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 10:56:01 AM »
Thanks wheels, but I have been reporting to eBay (forwarding complete emails to spoof@eBay.com.au). Security is very tight on this computer also.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 11:01:03 AM »
Have you contacted the seller listed on the emails?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 11:04:40 AM »
It may be worth finding out more about the eBay member sending these emails. Spamming you in that way deserves gloves-off treatment.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

vacuumdog

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 11:05:39 AM »
Nope. That would only be verifying my email details to someone I am not dealing with, wouldn't it?

I'm just going through some of the headers now and reporting to ISP's. Don't know if it will help though.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 11:25:41 AM »

bobbybigbear

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 01:19:57 PM »
I am constantly amazed by the members names I remember from RT, who have had this same problem.

Most of my extended family & friends have never been into the forums, and have never had a phishing email in their lives, however, most of the people I know who have been long time forum contributors, seem to have their email accounts spammed, even though they have been exclusively used for ebay and PayPal, and no other source.

We did an experiment on another site, and within a few posts, one of the baiters on the site declared to the poster, " But is she the master of her own Domain ", In answer to a post where the woman declared she was the master of her own destiny since her divorce. The woman was accused of being me, or a close friend, so they offered the that as evidence.

An obvious reference to the fact I set the experiment up with an email addy from my domain, and as the Domain is easily accessed, but only if you know the name, or email address.

The email address could only have been known by the Administration, as it did not send or receive any emails, only the registration on the site, and it was the first time the email address had ever been used.

Auction sites forums are inhabited by employees and their friends, and as there is so much money to be made by never buying and selling, it's a sure fire bet they will never be caught, because any evidence disappears with a click of a mouse.

It also seems to go on rotation, almost like somebody has a data base of names, and works their way through them, so it can't be pinned down to an event on the forum, but we should be aware, they are ever present & watching, and for anyone who shows negativity towards a site, or certain members who are active on the forums of a site, and stand up against bullies, are certainly on the hit list for spamming and trolling.

Poddy

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »
Interesting theory Bobby.

I for one have not seen any hard evidence of it though from my own experience and Gord knows that I have always been very vocal on the old RT forum and even on the RT reunion thread.

If there is a concerted effort to spam any particular poster I have not seen any HARD evidence of it, it is easy to jump to the conclusions that we would like them to be but i find it much better to rely on cold hard facts.

Having said that I guess it is not impossible that you have the right scenario.

Katbalou

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 01:42:52 PM »
Jerry Seinfeld could sue them for pinching his material to.

"No soup for you"  :chef:  

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 02:28:33 PM »
With spam emails arriving to a domain email address, it's necessary to check how wrongly-addressed emails are treated - you can check within cPanel. Sometimes the default has all wrong email addresses going to a correct one - for example, let's say you have a domain called www.yesyesyesitsme.com. You've set up the following email addresses:

inquiries@yesyesyesitsme.com
admin@yesyesyesitsme.com
sales@yesyesyesitsme.com

Now, let's say a spammer sends an email to xygelwghq@yesyesyesitsme.com, or to richardthethird@yesyesyesitsme.com, or ... well, you get the idea. Your domain may have it set up as a default that all wrongly-named email sent to ANY email address at yesyesyesitsme.com, regardless of whether it exists or not, is automatically sent to the main email address on the domain (e.g., to admin@yesyesyesitsme.com), even if you've NEVER USED THAT EMAIL ADDRESS.

To avoid this happening, simply set up all unrouted emails or wrongly-routed emails to be rejected by the server... or set up a spam box which you should regularly empty... or create an email address spam@yesyesyesitsme.com to bounce back such emails.

Hi, Katbalou - I've been waiting for someone to use that chef emoticon...!

Katbalou

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 03:01:46 PM »
It fit best with the Seinfeld ctach phrase i think.  ;D this one was a close runner up  :closed:

No one likes spam but  :spam:  :mobbing: everyone gets it but so why think its personal.  :drama:

bobbybigbear

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 03:02:12 PM »
Interesting theory Bobby.

I for one have not seen any hard evidence of it though from my own experience and Gord knows that I have always been very vocal on the old RT forum and even on the RT reunion thread.

If there is a concerted effort to spam any particular poster I have not seen any HARD evidence of it, it is easy to jump to the conclusions that we would like them to be but i find it much better to rely on cold hard facts.

Having said that I guess it is not impossible that you have the right scenario.

OK, if I post cold hard facts, the post will be deleted, if it's not, someone will say it's just coincidence.

There in lies the problem, however, in the past, it has been a good ploy to flush out the people that do it, er well, some of their ID's at least ;D

You see there is a small select band of people who know they can't be touched,

A.... because they have a far greater knowledge of computers than most.

B.... They know they are protected, and can basically do as they wish within reasonable bounds.

C.... They have enough ID's to deflect any suspicion, and given the fact most people just call them trolls, they

blend into the ebay landscape perfectly fullfilling that role.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »
COUNTESSA'S EASY GUIDE TO DEALING WITH SPAM ON EMAIL/PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESSES

1. Don't use an email address that is used for any other purpose.
2. If you want to use an email address from your ISP, then don't use your main one. You can have something like 5 others usually. So - if your main email address is imfantastic771@somesortofaustralianisp.com.au, do NOT use that. Instead, go to your ISP's webpage, log in, and create another email address specifically for eBay/PayPal use. For instance - imamazing222@somesortofaustralianisp.com.au.
3. If that email address is ever compromised, you can handle the situation easily. Go to your ISP's webpage, create another email address (don't delete the imamazing one just yet... in case you still need it), edit the email address in eBay and PayPal, wait for 2 weeks or so, make sure all is working correctly, then delete imamazing...
4. If you don't want to use an email address from your ISP, then you can use a hotmail or gmail or similar email address. However, if you already have a hotmail or gmail address, you should try to avoid using that one - create a second one especially for eBay/PayPal.
5. If that hotmail or gmail address becomes compromised, create another one. Again, don't delete the old one immediately - you need to make sure that the new address is "sticking" properly in eBay and PayPal.

In this way, the instant you find your dedicated email address on someone's spam list, you can take steps to remedy the situation.

bobbybigbear

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 03:26:23 PM »
COUNTESSA,

My domain wasn't spammed, but somebody at the site checked the person email address, which shows the domain name, however, and ordinary member cannot do that, it is only those in the Administration that can do that. As I said, this email had never been used for any other purpose but to register on this site. It was done to prove that someone on the administration was corrupt in passing on information to members about newbies.

The email address has not been spammed, but as I stated, it was mentioned in the forums.

Poddy

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
Bobby are you saying that it was THIS forum???

You have me confused.

And if it WAS this forum contact Admin at once please

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 04:32:23 PM »
None of yez appreciated that NOTLD post.

Zombies bite; You suck.

Harumph!

bobbybigbear

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 04:56:15 PM »
Bobby are you saying that it was THIS forum???

You have me confused.

And if it WAS this forum contact Admin at once please

We did an experiment on another site, and within a few posts, one of the baiters on the site declared to the poster, " But is she the master of her own Domain ", In answer to a post where the woman declared she was the master of her own destiny since her divorce. The woman was accused of being me, or a close friend, so they offered the that as evidence.

Dear me, how you could find anything that infered this site is beyond me.

I don't mince words, if it was here, I would of said so, long before now.

vacuumdog

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 04:58:17 PM »
Countessa,
The email address is one via my provider. As I said it is only used for eBay/Paypal. The emails are coming from US (not a proxy) site that is known for fraudulent activity. That makes it most annoying that the authorities are letting this go on.
I forwarded a couple to the US authorities and have had no more today. Maybe they stopped them?
The links in them went to a polish site. (that's as in Poland, not a shiny site).

I suppose I'll just keep reporting them. Bigpond no longer provide free email addresses and charge a dollar a month for extra ones, thieving mongrels.

I might try an address from my own domain and see how things go.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 05:27:24 PM »
"Thieving mongrels" is right! Bigpond, you naughty naughty people... :roughend:

Bobby, I see what you mean. You used an email address from a particular domain, in order to register on a particular forum. Someone on that forum then mentioned the email address. I'll message you about that.

Poddy

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 06:44:27 PM »
And now they have a new fee GRRRRRRR!!!

$2.20 to pay ypur bill over the counter or at a P.O.

AND the telstra site is down so you can't pay it over the Net.

Guess who will be getting a serve tomorrow hehehehehe

Katbalou

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 07:53:40 PM »
COUNTESSA,

My domain wasn't spammed, but somebody at the site checked the person email address, which shows the domain name, however, and ordinary member cannot do that, it is only those in the Administration that can do that. As I said, this email had never been used for any other purpose but to register on this site. It was done to prove that someone on the administration was corrupt in passing on information to members about newbies.

The email address has not been spammed, but as I stated, it was mentioned in the forums.

Clarify please Bobby :enlighten:

Was the email address itself put on the forum you are talking about or not???? if that email wasnt spammed after you used it on that forumI am confused what you mean.  :huh:

If all they said was "master of there own domain" then thats a reference to a Seinfeld episode where the characters on the show had bets with each other about being "masters of their domain" (need a spanking monkey smily guys) :knit:

If you think that comment was talking about your experiment then you might be mistaken.  ;)

bobbybigbear

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »
It's really clear when you read what I posted and not what others posted. ;D

Katbalou

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »
Okay 

read it again and the email address wasnt spammed and your domain wasnt spammed

thats good then isnt it??

you stayed master of your domain then Bobby  :green:

:blonde:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 10:31:14 PM »
There is certainly a problem, though, if a private email address was publicly posted in a forum. That comes under information that should not be made public, under the Privacy Act. Perhaps it was a misunderstanding; at any rate, we're getting off topic. (Tempting as it is... we'd best head back to the topic!)

:topic:

Vacuumdog, could you use a gmail or hotmail address instead? It may be best to avoid using an email address attached to your domain, just in case.

Poddy

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 10:39:06 PM »
Yes Contessa this important topic was drifting off course, so everyone please DO NOT hijack this thread

bobbybigbear

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »
Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 10:50:07 PM »
I never get spam from paypal/ebay - ever ever ever

Reason being is that - I NEVER Access my paypal/ebay account - I access it once - to divert all email to a secondary address - I never send emails from that address which are accessed via POP/SMTP

I don't think ANYONE knows my financial address outside of the financial institution - I am unable to inadvertently send emails from that address - because I don't allow POP/SMTP access ever.

Quite easy
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

Poddy

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 10:55:23 PM »
Wokkie,

Now THAT is a great solution no wonder you are jumping with joy  ;D

vacuumdog

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 11:13:43 PM »
Countessa, the thing is that I only ever used the email address for ebay purchases. Never ever used it any other time.
The point being that NO personal information should be transferred in a successful Paypal transaction via eBay.

But back to the original reason of posting, has anyone had any fraudulent emails of the same content?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 11:20:49 PM »
vacuumdog, I haven't received any similar emails but I did google the seller ID in your email and came up with heaps of fake eBay emails that had been spammed onto a Yahoo groups messageboard over the past week.

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/RagsToRichesFans/messages

Poddy

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 11:28:04 PM »
vacuumdog,

Perhaps the email came fron someone with whome you have had a paypal transaction with in the past

All that person has to do is to log into their paypal and they have the email address of anyone they have transacted with.

Is the spam mail coming from a person that you may have transacted with?

Even if it isn't your address could have been passed on by someone you have transacted with :(

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »

The internet is a dangerous place....a prophylactic on each finger helps...always use protection....

Katbalou

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 07:13:57 AM »
 :spanishinq:

I get no phishing emails.

I musnt be special enough

vacuumdog

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 08:08:15 AM »
vacuumdog, I haven't received any similar emails but I did google the seller ID in your email and came up with heaps of fake eBay emails that had been spammed onto a Yahoo groups messageboard over the past week.

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/RagsToRichesFans/messages

Thanks wheels. I see lots of the same ones I have been getting.

currymuncher

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 09:10:33 PM »
they never give up do they ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: