The Oz Round Table boards > PayPal

Paypal offer to refund postage costs for returned items

(1/5) > >>

*smee*:
When you shop online with PayPal, we'll have your back.
View online
To ensure that you are able to receive our emails, please add "@e.paypal.com" to your safe senders list. For more information, please click here.
I

PayPal
Need a reason to shop?

Hi

We’ll refund the shipping cost if you need to return an item.

When you shop online with PayPal, we have your back.

We know you love to shop so we’re giving you a great excuse to discover new stores and find items you’ll love!

When you activate Refunded Returns, we’ll refund your return shipping costs if you need to send an item back. Enjoy up to 4 returns to a value of $45 each until 31 July 2015.*

Activate Now

By clicking Activate Now, you accept the General Conditions of Use. Please read the General Conditions of Use before activating the service.

Free Return Shipping

Shop with confidence
Shop the world without a worry. If you buy something that isn’t quite right, return it and we’ll refund your shipping costs.

Requesting a refund is easy
1. Make sure you’ve already activated Refunded Returns. You’ll need to do this before you shop.
2. Fill out the online claim form within 14 days of returning your item.
3. Add your shipping receipts.
4. Submit. We’ll review your claim and refund the money into your PayPal account within 10 business days.   

Activate Refunded Returns service and shop without a worry   

Account Help Fees Security Apps

Facebook      Facebook      Facebook

How do I know this is not a fake email?

Remember, fake or 'phishing' emails tend to have generic greetings such as "Dear PayPal member". Emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name.

If unsure, forward the suspicious email to phishing@paypal.com.au and we’ll let you know if it’s really coming from us or not.

Find out more about fake and phishing emails

*Up to 4 refunds per PayPal account for eligible purchases until 31st July 2015. A cap of $45 per refund request applies. The Refunded Returns Service is offered by PayPal Pte. Ltd, in partnership with TELUS International Europe, the service provider. See the General Conditions of Use for further information.

Copyright © 1999-2014 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved

The PayPal service is provided by PayPal Australia Pty Limited (ABN 93 111 195 389) which holds an Australian Financial Services Licence, number 304962. Before deciding to sign-up for or use the PayPal service you should consider the Combined Financial Services Guide and Product Disclosure Statement, available at www.paypal.com.au.

This email was sent to you, because your email preferences are set to receive PayPal marketing communications. To unsubscribe, click here and follow the prompts.

Please do not reply to this email. We are unable to respond to inquiries sent to this address. For answers to your questions, visit our "Contact Us" page by clicking "Contact Us" at the bottom of any PayPal page.   

*CountessA*:
Smee, yes, it's genuine... but I don't like it.

I don't like it even though as a buyer I would of course prefer not to have to pay return shipping for a faulty item.

The reason why I don't like it is that, even though it's being paid for by PayPal, I have zero zilch nada nichts NO confidence in PayPal not slugging sellers for the cost of return postage further down the track.

Sellers in the position of having to face the likely prospect of a significant number of their buyers demanding free returns (even if said buyers don't prove item was faulty on arrival) are either going to stop selling or increase their prices ludicrously to cover the inevitable losses they will be forced to incur.

I already see far fewer of those sellers of weird and wonderful and collectable things. Do I want to do anything to further jeopardise those who have somehow hung in there...? No.

Australian consumer law protects the consumer in the event of a faulty item being purchased. It does not provide for sellers having to refund the buyer's fuel costs or fare or time off work in having to return an item. It doesn't provide for online sellers paying buyers' return costs. NO NO NO.

No.

Don't like it. Don't want it. No.

(Besides, I exercise my brain and judgement when I buy online. My critical judgement stops me from buying if I have no confidence in the seller or if the risk of ending up with a fake or poor quality item is high, etc. If I didn't, and if I expected eBay or PayPal to cover my errors in judgement, I might as well dress up in a nappy and stick a dummy in my mouth...)

:babytantie: :babytantie: :babytantie: :babytantie: :babytantie: :babytantie: :babytantie: :dummy: :dummy: :dummy:

*Brum6y*:
I, too, try to assess the risk in purchasing overseas and include checking feedback given to the seller, especially from previous buyers of the same product I'm looking at.  This is one reason why I tend to strongly avoid sellers who have a high degree of 'Private' sales.

Therefore, subject to what I have found to be a reasonably effective process to limit surprise and/or disappointment, I recently purchased an electronic item from China.  There were a number of sellers offering this product and the one I chose did not have it at the cheapest price available - but they weren't far off it.  Then came the wait ... 2 to 4 weeks.

Fortunately, I only had to wait 2 weeks plus one more working day and although the operation of the device is fairly straightforward, I then put it aside for a day and made sure I had read through the manual to make sure there weren't any unexpected precautions to observe.  Then it was a matter of batteries in - and let's check it out!

Well, it all felt horribly empty when the first test - of the primary function of this device - produced a result that was patently wrong.  All other tests of this prime function using various settings yielded the same disappointment.  As a corollary to Murphy's Law, it seemed appropriate that all the secondary functions appeared to be working fine.  However, since they rely on the correct operation of the primary function, their results were quite useless.

So - then we get into discussion with the seller.  Fortunately, the seller's communication has been reasonably good: a response to my messages within 24 hours and a conscientious attitude.  The result: a request for return of the item and once the problem is confirmed, an offer to refund or re-send.

One issue remains: who will foot the bill for return of the faulty product?  The cheapest option that has tracking is just under $20.

My argument is that I paid a specified amount for a functioning product to be made available to me at a collection point, which happens to be a PO Box.  If I had purchased from a local bricks and mortar business, then the collection point would have been their shop.  Where there is an issue with the product, I have no argument that I have at least the responsibility to initiate the return of the product as instructed and undertake travel to the collection point as part of that process.

To cut to the chase ... my decision to purchase this item from China was comforted by the PayPal announcement, but I did not 'Activate' it at that time. However, since the Seller would not put up the $20 return postage, I Activated this service on my PayPal account and have put in a claim.  From their spiel, I expect a response later this week.

We shall see.

*Brum6y*:
For those who don't want to read all that  ^^^ - just read the black bits.

*smee*:
I read all of that

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version