Author Topic: "Extra postage"? Amazon Marketplace  (Read 10119 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
"Extra postage"? Amazon Marketplace
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »
I will of course respect the privacy of the seller concerned - but this is something of the communication I received after making a purchase of a French cookbook on Amazon.com.

The seller emailed me to say the cost of shipping the book was extra (more than double, in fact) than the amount set by Amazon, and said "Please let me know if you are willing to assume this cost, otherwise I'm afraid I must cancel the order."

Now - Amazon has this to say about shipping costs from Marketplace sellers.

Marketplace Shipping Rates

Your shipping fees when buying items at Amazon Marketplace are fixed according to the type of product you purchase.
How Our Rates Are Calculated

Amazon.com charges Marketplace buyers a flat rate for shipping, and funds are passed to the seller to offset the costs of packaging and labor, as well as the actual postage required.

The credit given to a seller will usually closely match what the seller pays to ship the item, using the option that you have chosen (Standard or Expedited). However, there may be times when the credit a seller is given for a Marketplace order will be above and beyond what is actually paid for postage. Shipping costs are an inherent feature in any mail-order service, and we hope that you will understand.

I was frankly taken aback by the seller's communication. I've NEVER received any communication like that from any other Amazon Marketplace Seller.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: "Extra postage"? Amazon Marketplace
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 05:32:32 PM »
I should have replied earlier on this thread... but I've had things on my mind.

SATISFACTORY OUTCOME - I think.

Although I haven't received the book yet, my reply to the seller pointing out Amazon's marketplace policy re shipping fees resulted in a reply within hours: "Your book have been shipped".

I don't know whether the seller was simply unaware of the policy and the fact that sellers receive a credit for the amount the seller pays to ship the item - or was "trying it on". I assume good faith, and I'm glad the seller has posted the book. I'll give happy feedback once the book arrives.

:amazon:
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:28:48 PM »
#2 Junk Bump. (Just Cuzz.)
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:48:46 PM »
Hello Tello  ;D