Author Topic: eBay app on the iPhone  (Read 5741 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
eBay app on the iPhone
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »
What a nightmare for buyers who try to pay using their iPhone!

We had a buyer yesterday who asked about combined shipping prior to purchase. After getting the postage quote they went ahead and purchased 2 of the same item. Then they decided to add a third item. No can do on the iPhone. It would not let them purchase the same item again! This is an experienced eBay buyer and seller so I'm sure it wasn't user error. We did a workaround by adding the cost of the third item to the invoice and after payment was made the buyer tried to purchase again. Still no go! The buyer then left feedback (on same day as payment) and finally was able to make the third purchase!

Imagine how many potential sales are lost or payments not made because of the dodgy app.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: eBay app on the iPhone
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:56:08 PM »
I mentioned this experience to my seller friend, who immediately rattled off a list of other problems encountered ... and that it seems the App on both iPhone and Android phones have similar problems.

In the light of eBay's proud boasting of the Mobile platform - you would think they would get it right.

I speak as both an eBay buyer and as an IT professional when I say: This is inexcusable.

I wonder if Smee has sufficient pineapples in his warehouse for the message to get through...?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:02:24 PM »
Well, have you seen the latest announcement along with the new eBay logo?

http://pages.ebay.com/announcements/new/index.html

Our New Logo

Our refreshed logo is rooted in our proud history and reflects a dynamic future.

Shopping anytime, anywhere? This is the new eBay.

Today, we’re still focused on connecting buyers and sellers, anytime, anywhere, to the things they need and love.

Seventeen years ago this month, eBay created a new way for people to buy and sell practically anything. We’ve since helped millions of people launch their own businesses and helped change the way the world shops for things they need and love.

Today we’re creating the future again. We’ve been building the new eBay. And today, we’re proud to introduce a new look for the eBay brand.

Our refreshed logo is rooted in our proud history and reflects a dynamic future. It’s eBay today: a global online marketplace that offers a cleaner, more contemporary and consistent experience, with innovation that makes buying and selling easier and more enjoyable. We retained core elements of our logo, including our iconic color palette. Our vibrant eBay colors and touching letters represent our connected and diverse eBay community – more than 100 million active users and 25 million sellers globally and growing.

The eBay logo is known the world over, so changing it was not a decision made lightly. The time felt right. We’re incredibly proud of how eBay started and quickly grew into the world’s largest online marketplace. Auction-style listings, used goods, vintage items and quirky, one-of-a-kind finds are still a big part of what makes buying and selling on eBay special. We hope that’s always true. But we’ve evolved a lot in the past few years, and eBay is much more than auction-style listings today.

Today, most items sold on eBay are new, listed at a fixed “Buy It Now!” price. Our most successful sellers ship most items free, offer returns and deliver consistently great customer service. Shop eBay today and you’ll discover more visual search, making browsing for what you want simpler and more enjoyable. It’s easier than ever to compare new and previously owned items, helping you decide the best value for you. This is the new eBay.

On today’s eBay, you can buy a rare camera from a collector and a new digital point-and-shoot from a trusted electronics seller; a vintage dress from a fashion boutique owner and a new jacket from a designer you love; or a one-of-a-kind item from someone who shares your passion. You’ll also find great deals on new items from your favorite brands, retailers and local neighborhood stores. This is the new eBay.

We’re also creating new ways to sell and buy. eBay is a mobile commerce leader. Our mobile apps have been downloaded 100 million times, and this year we expect over $10 billion in volume transacted via mobile. Shopping anytime, anywhere? This is the new eBay.

We intend to keep creating better ways to buy and sell. We’ll keep helping sellers of all sizes – from individuals and small merchants to top brands and retailers – compete in today’s rapidly changing world. And eBay will become more personalized, tailored to the way you want to shop. We will be local and global, giving buyers and sellers incredible choice and opportunity.

In September 1995, eBay began by connecting a seller with a buyer who wanted a broken laser pointer. Today, we’re still focused on connecting buyers and sellers, anytime, anywhere, to the things they need and love.

Welcome to eBay today. And stay tuned. There’s more to come.

Devin Wenig Signature

Devin Wenig
President, eBay

Too bad that the mobile app is so flawed.

eBay becoming more personalised? What a joke! They removed the ability of sellers to easily send bulk email messages to buyers. They 'reward' sellers who DO NOT communicate with buyers!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »
Seems the more things change, the more they stay the same.

EBay started off by selling something that was broken.

Now they are still trying to sell something that is broken.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 05:49:52 PM »
And - sorry - I did pull a face and shake my head when I read "rare camera" and "one of a kind item".

Once upon a time, eBay was wonderful at providing a venue for such items.

Now - no.

It's not that I stop looking for some particular items on eBay - but that the increasing trend has been I am UNLIKELY to find what I am looking for on eBay... (or if I do find it, it will be costlier than elsewhere as the sellers who used to be able to sell an exciting array of antiques on eBay have been "disincentived" from selling on eBay over the last few years.)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »
... And yes, with regard to the eBay app, I would NEVER buy anything using the mobile app. (Not at this stage, at any rate.) I've heard too much of the dodgy problems with the app.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"