Author Topic: Cost of Living - Enter the Carbon Tax  (Read 8524 times)

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Cost of Living - Enter the Carbon Tax
« on: March 21, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »
Of course, every Australian... most Australians.... many Australians.... some Australians, well, perhaps a couple of Australians anyhow... will be compensated for the increases brought about by this tax.

POWER TRIP: Australian electricity price high, and to rise with carbon tax

AUSTRALIANS pay 130 per cent more for electricity than Canadians, according to new research - a power premium to rise to 250 per cent once the carbon tax and locked-in price increases take effect.

Energy Minister Martin Ferguson recently said Australians pay less than the OECD average, relying on a document called Energy In Australia 2012, which his department's Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics (BREE) published three weeks ago. The document uses electricity prices from 2009-10.

"That data is old," EUAA executive director Roman Domanski told The Daily Telegraph last night. In 2010-11 alone the national price rose by 16 per cent; the NSW jump was 23 per cent. The numbers used to compile the document Mr Ferguson relied on put the NSW average at 18.55c/kWh. But in the real world, households are paying regulated rates as high as 28c/kWh.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/money/australian-electricity-price-high-and-rising/story-e6frfmci-1226305729807#ixzz1phCvxm8M

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Re: Cost of Living - Enter the Carbon Tax
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:56:22 AM »
Petrol and electricity costs biggest worry for Queensland families

THE rising costs of petrol and electricity have emerged as the biggest concerns faced by Queensland families struggling to pay their weekly bills.

Nearly four in 10 Queenslanders list petrol as their biggest cost-of-living issue, according to an exclusive Galaxy poll.

Rising energy prices was ranked the No.1 concern by 30 per cent, while a further 16 per cent rated supermarket bills as their main concern.

Conservative think tank the Institute of Public Affairs commissioned the Galaxy poll and said it showed the perils of a carbon tax and mandatory renewable energy targets.

"Australians are clearly concerned about rising electricity prices, but there is no relief in sight with electricity prices set to increase further as a result of the (introduction) of the carbon tax," IPA climate change policy director Tim Wilson said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/money/money-matters/energy-costs-our-biggest-worry/story-fn3hskur-1226304568713

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »
South Australia's power prices set to become highest in world says Energy Users Association of Australia

SOUTH Australia will have the world's most expensive electricity as soon as July this year, energy experts predict.

A report released today by the Energy Users Association of Australia, which compares 2011 household electricity prices in 92 countries, states or provinces, shows South Australian prices are the third highest behind Denmark and Germany.

Association executive director Roman Domanski, however, said it was only a matter of time before SA would have the world's most expensive power prices.

"It will go to top of the tree   ... the way things are going at the moment, it could even be this year," he said.

From July 1, prices will rise further when the carbon tax is introduced - and with rises in network charges and additional fees for renewable energy.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/power-prices-to-be-highest-in-the-world/story-e6frea83-1226305741810

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:02:23 AM »
Agreed Loco.  It makes me angry to see the cost of everything go up and up, being taxed more and the government ministers looking after themselves.  Ie They can leave parliment terms with a great pension, still get another job and not lose it, get free plane travel etc etc. 
:duckling:

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 09:10:42 AM »
Good morning fluffy!  :welcomedesk:

I've read a few of the nations papers this morning. Seems that this is a national problem, as more information comes to light. Electricity prices are only the tip of the iceberg, with the flow-ons yet to come. How the hell does any family support an electricity bill at $1700 / quarter? Petrol price here today is $1.60/Ltr ..... caused by international conflict I'm told.

Things are crook.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:53:20 AM »
Historically, inflation, by means of tax and currency devaluation is used by government to steal the wealth from the people.

Some Australian put their money in China coins, and personally I think it is a smart choice.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 05:12:20 AM »
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

Elantra

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 12:04:42 AM »

Back in 2007 the cost of a barrel of oil was US$130.00
The Australian dollar was worth US$0.82
The price of petrol was per/ltr $1.55
We were told the high price of petrol was because of the high price of oil & the low Australian dollar, yep okay makes sense I guess.

No 5 years later in 2012,
The cost of a barrel of oil is US$1.06
The Australian dollar is worth US$0.96
Yet petrol is selling for per/ltr $1.60

Were we paying to much then, or are we paying to much now?

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 12:37:07 AM »
Interesting thoughts there elantra.

Found this link..... tells an interesting tale. The last graph is interesting - although the numbers don't add up to todays pump prices.

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why there is an average 11c increase on a litre of 95 octane - and 15c on 98 octane fuel. Also, a new tax comes into effect on Ethanol - July 1 I recall.

http://www.aip.com.au/pricing/facts/Facts_about_Petrol_Prices_and_the_Australian_Fuel_Market.htm

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 02:30:48 AM »
What is a curiosity to me is the price of LPG.

A month ago, I could pick the time to buy and get it at 59.9 cents/litre but since then I've had to fill up at 89.9.  That's a 50% increase in an insanely short period.

With the $AUD having such a strong purchase power, to quote Professor Julius Sumner-Miller...  WHY IS IT SO?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 08:05:57 AM »
The same LPG is shipped from Aust to Malaysia
Not sure what price it is now but  about 6 or 7 years ago when I was in KL it was selling for 9c a litre australian ... It was about the 50c  a litre mark here at that time from memory ...