Author Topic: eBay help boards gaining popularity ???  (Read 14115 times)

RiffRaff

eBay help boards gaining popularity ???
« on: July 03, 2009, 09:48:38 PM »
I notice lots of new posters over there offering assistance and more frequently than when the new boards were rolled out. Seems people simply adapt.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: eBay help boards gaining popularity ???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:56:31 PM »
Hi Riff , That is a good thing if the help offered is correct advice , I dont think anyone would begrudge people getting helpful advice , I just find that the new boards arent as good for the social interaction anymore but then again I havent been on there for ages , All I know is there are a lot of good and friendly people here

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »

Hi ya Riff..I suppose it takes a little time for people to adapt.. look around their new surroundings to see whats on offer..

RiffRaff

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »
G'day Smee. Yeah, it was pretty dismal over there to start with and it's taken people a while to work out the new format. I thought that the CS board would be taken over by the old CWer's but the two groups seem to get on fine.

RiffRaff

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 10:05:51 PM »
Hiya Yib. Gotta say, it's a pretty friendly place on the whole. The 20 post thing on Ask a Member is a bit of a jib but they manage to work around it.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 10:13:39 PM »
Hiya Yib. Gotta say, it's a pretty friendly place on the whole. The 20 post thing on Ask a Member is a bit of a jib but they manage to work around it.

Riff..whats the 20 post thing?..I haven't heard about that?...

RiffRaff

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 10:18:25 PM »
Yib, on the Ask a Member board (for general questions), there is a maximum of 20 posts per thread. If more discussion is needed on the subject, you have to start a new thread.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 10:28:33 PM »
Yib, on the Ask a Member board (for general questions), there is a maximum of 20 posts per thread. If more discussion is needed on the subject, you have to start a new thread.

Whats the reasoning behind that?..... I can't think of one good reason to limit it to 20?.... what if its complicated as it sometimes gets and more than 20 is needed, start another post and name it the same and state its mark II of previous thread?...

RiffRaff

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 10:31:35 PM »
Yep, that's what happens Yib. The reasoning behind it (IMO) was to push chatting over to CS. Well it certainly worked.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 10:33:17 PM »
They must have recruited some smart people over ebay...decided to pay with money instead of peanuts...LOL

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 10:41:12 PM »
I'm glad for those who can still bring themselves to post on the Australian eBay forums.

Candidly, I cannot be one of those. I have tried viewing the forums a few times, since people insist on sending me links - and each time, within 4 seconds it precipitated the beginning of a Type II migraine.

I also continue to feel outraged by some of the decisions made by Australian eBay decision-makers. I continue to think I won't be back there. That's why I moved to the UK RT - and thank God for those fantastic people who welcomed us and let us post there.

Even there, there were problems. When it came to someone reporting our posts there, stating blatantly that they would be emailing James (the UK moderator) repeatedly in order to give the Australian eBay members a bad name, I knew we were in an extremely equivocal position.

We realised more and more that we needed a place where we were NOT subjected to the vindictive reporting of a malicious person who seemed to love to hate. We also wanted a place where other malicious reporting and self-reporting wouldn't be used to conduct a campaign of intimidation that not only resulted in posts disappearing, but one's eBay account being placed in jeopardy.

I'm happy for those who were able to remain on the eBay forums. I'm happy for those who are able to remain here. I'm happy for those who can do both. I like the fact that there is choice.

(And if one day the migraine problem is addressed, who knows? I might post on the eBay AU forums again. But flatly and definitely, I am not risking more forum-induced migraines. Not worth it.)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 10:47:22 PM »

I whole heatedly Agree...It's good to have Choice....

RiffRaff

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 12:02:49 AM »
Hmmm....I flick between here and the eBay pages constantly and I don't see much different. Same with the UK boards. No migranes here.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »
I sincerely hope you never know what it is to be plagued with migraines. They are utterly debilitating.

There were quite a number of people who had similar reactions with migraines and the changed eBay forums.

Other things that trigger migraines for me include instant coffee, MSG, the smell of fresh paint, very strong perfumes (other than natural perfume oil - this explains why the only perfumes I will wear are jasmine and rose oil), sitting too close to the front of a cinema when watching a film, looking at 3D puzzles...

I avoid those triggers because I'm not a masochist.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Poddy

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 01:57:16 AM »
I notice lots of new posters over there offering assistance and more frequently than when the new boards were rolled out.

I have to wonder what expierence new posters have to be able to offer advice.

RiffRaff

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 07:05:34 AM »
I have to wonder what expierence new posters have to be able to offer advice.

New posters doesn't mean inexperienced eBayers, Poddy. It means, they didn't used to post but now they do. There's still a lot of the more experienced posters over there aswell.

imperfect

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »
Hi, I too suffer migraines; I usually have some type of head ache most of the time. I have so far been lucky with the boards; I think simply lowering the brightness of my screen helped.

Countessa, I guess you have tried a cool compress on the back of your neck and lay in a dark cool room? Do you get the visual and auditory interferences too? I agree it is a terrible affliction.

Riff, I have also noticed the boards are becoming more accepted now. I really love using eBay, I like the community and I like the diversity of characters and opinions, even if I don’t agree.  I simply ignore the things that I feel are far to draining to bother with.

Being a freedom loving Aussie, I too enjoy not being told where and when I can post, who I can and can't associate with and still have my opinions and 'self' respected on individual merit, having said that I am also aware that this is not always the case.

*winks at Yib*

ernest_price

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 09:03:18 AM »
Riff is correct in that there are more people having a go at helping now that things are a bit more settled and understood on the eBay forums. The only slightly ego frustrating thing is you'll post the solution then someone comes in 10 posts later and says the same thing. I've only regressed to writing once "and that differs from what I wrote in post #87 how?". Must ... control ... ego.

Countessa - you are also correct about the usability of the eBay forums. The problem is the white space. It's been a while since I had to do this as a job, so *maybe* the basics have changed, but around 50% of people are impacted when a web page uses excessive white space. Defining white space isn't that simple but has a major impact on that 50% of people. Think of it not simply as a calc of how much white on screen but a mix of where the text is placed, point size of text, font, graphics etc. 10% just cannot use it and then it graduates from there.

If you look on this forum as an example, there is a reason for the colour schemes available to admins or users. Basically liveworld broke the standard web design rules when they set up the java forum as they have for eBay. Sure it looks fresh and clean, but some people just cannot use it in the colour scheme they have chosen. How a company that big could make that mistake is astounding.

For comparison of other LiveWorls work, here's their HBO implementation http://boards.hbo.com/category/Forums/700000000 and their Campbells implementation http://kitchentable-campbells.forums.liveworld.com/category/Campbells-Soup/400000000

imperfect

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »
Ooo...this looks pretty good to me.........Cin's Strawberry-Chocolate Pound Cake. ;)

ernest_price

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 10:01:43 AM »
I'm having the Balsamic Chicken Pasta Salad for lunch!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 11:37:43 AM »
I've experienced migraines since I was 14 - I don't think I had them as badly as my mother used to (as I remember days and days of her being unable to do anything other than lie down in a dark room with the children being super-quiet). But I have had some migraines for extended periods of 3 days... in 2 cases, for more than a week... but usually one-day migraines or two-day migraines. I am subject to two different types of migraines - I call them different types because of their onset, not because of anything else.

Type I: instant and overwhelming effect. No time to brace myself; no time to take medication before the full-blown scale hits. If this happens when I'm driving, I immediately have to go into survival-mode - I have one thought on my mind, and that is to maintain control over the car and get off the road immediately.

Type II: I feel a sort-of tentative wave of pain and prickling of my eyes. It lasts for a few seconds and recedes. This is the precursor; I immediately take medication and hope I've acted quickly enough to minimise the coming migraine which hits at full strength within the next few minutes.

Symptoms: excruciating pain; disorientation (I can't tell left from right, or gauge distance properly); white lights fracturing my sight; loss of coherency (I cannot even think clearly, let alone speak fluently); etc.

Ways to prevent migraine: avoid triggers. I get far fewer migraines as a result of avoiding those definite triggers. Whereas it used to be every couple of weeks, it's now down to no more than 3 a year as long as I avoid the triggers.

Ways to treat migraine: hard to treat. Pain-killing medication, yes - but for the very worst, it doesn't seem to help. At least... if it DOES help, I can't gauge the effectiveness because the level of pain and incoherency seems just as bad to me. It may well be that there are degrees of the intolerable.

Aftermath: weirdly, like some migraine sufferers, I experience one of two distinctly different feelings after the full migraine has gone. It's not related to the type of onset, either. Reaction 1: feeling of immense fragility, as though I'd shatter like a thin glass eggshell at any moment. I feel heavy-eyed and tentative. Reaction 2: feeling of vitality and extreme energy, as though sunshine is running through my veins and happiness is exciting all the neurons of my mind.

It's almost beyond belief that anyone would create a forum which induces such symptoms in any member.

I should mention that I differentiate between headaches and migraines. They are different. I have had an increase in headaches for a while, but that's related to other things. I've gone back to chiropractic treatment, and I have every expectation of that helping!

ernest_price

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 05:07:42 PM »
I had a girlfiend who had just the worst migraines - something as simple us being under a flickering flouro light for a period of time could do it to her. Until you know someone with it you don't really even remotely understand exactly how bad it really is for them. I still don't think I fully appreciated how bad it was for her.

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 10:42:42 PM »
Poor countess, I can really empathise,  I get migraines too, of several differrent types.

Type 1: wake with a dull pain in one side of my head. take normal painkillers, and keep taking them as they wear off. This usually keeps it at bay til afternoon , by then I have to take what I call heavy duty painkillers, and go to bed - feels like someone is smashing my skull from the inside with a jackhammer, trying to get out. These ones can occur recurrently for up to a week. They were called cluster headaches by one Dr, a form of migraine by others. No idea what triggers them, but sometimes a massage of the neck, shoulders and head seems to fix them.

Type 2: Starts with rainbow flashing lights in front of my eyes. I have about 5 to 10 minutes to get somewhere safe, because these progress to tunnel vision that gets increasingly smaller til I am blind. I can't see a thing. Very scarey. The headache then hits - pain of these is not as severe though??  These are sometimes triggered by faulty fluoro lights, or the shadows of trees on a road when driving.

My eldest daughter also has migraines, she actually throws up with hers, poor thing.

Mum got them too, but very rarely.